It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London student 'struck by truncheon' has brain injury

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
The students are reacting to a heavy handed snuffing of what they once thought may be some kind of a future.

Their tuition was raised approximately 200%,many will not be able to continue school.

I would be a bit pizzed off too.

How? Why? What? Where? When? Where? What? Why? How?

They don't pay the £3,000+ a year. They won't be paying the £9,000+ a year either. The payments are made directly to the Universities by the Student Loans Company. The only difference is that they will be paying it off for longer - assuming they ever make enough money. If they don't make £20,000 per year then they will never actually pay anything towards the loan.

They get a guaranteed loan with ridiculously low interest rates and a repayment system so heavily-biased in their favour it's almost unreal. Which is good: the goverment uses its clout to get a good deal and protect them. I'd like to see them try to get anything so good with a normal bank. I took out a £20k loan for a post-grad professional course and believe me, I'll be spending a long time getting screwed heavily for interest.
edit on 10-12-2010 by EvillerBob because: All that money on education and I still manage to screw up the grammar and punctuation

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, he went to what amounts to a Riot. Got his arse beat down and now his Mum is kicking off. In my day, if I didnt get my arse kicked at this type of thing I would expect to get it kicked by my parents. Something not quite right here, he and 1000's of others are kicking off because someone has said they need to pay something back to the Uni's in years to come which I assume will effect their beer money in some remote way. The urinate on war memorials and basically smash the crap out of anything not running away from this mess then cry when they get a slap.

lmao, are the students going to pay for all the damage they have done. Are they going to clean the mess up and also console those that are left from the wars gone by who are deeply offended by the shear lack of respect shown to the war memorials - no doubtful.

They protest and go off on one as they did then they ALL get their just deserves.

Guess even after uni life they still dont know the true meaninG of 'PEACFUL PROTEST'

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
He made the decision to be there and he made the decision to try and escape the "kettling". Do you think he was asking nicely?

If you fancy challenging a policeman holding a truncheon then you accept the risk of him using it against you. You accept the risk of receiving a nasty bruise or death or anything in between. He refused the offer of an ambulance.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

. . . a few hundred feet below me and looking in the other direction. He's threatening me!
Blocking your only means of escape is threatening even if they were looking in another direction at the moment.
When you rob someone it is natural for a person to want to defend themselves to keep what they own.
Your solution is to have people just lay there while their pockets are being picked.
That's a lot different from people going out and committing rapes. These are the victims of the rape and you want them to take it and stop complaining if it hurts because someone else is having a good time.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If that "student" messed with our future King Charles then bad miss. That entity should never mess with 1,000 years of continuity. It hurts me. I'm British. Lucky human

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by EvillerBob

. . . a few hundred feet below me and looking in the other direction. He's threatening me!
Blocking your only means of escape is threatening even if they were looking in another direction at the moment.

My apologies. I've checked back through the media reports and you're right. Apparantly the guy was on his way to the local orphanage to give them all kittens for Christmas. The police grabbed him and threatened to stamp on the kittens unless he smashed his way into a building, trashed it, grabbed a fire extinguisher from inside and ran to the roof with it. He and his collection of friends (who were all on the way to join a convent when they were attacked by police) felt so threatened by the small groups of policemen (not in riot gear) standing in the general vicinity of the door (but not blocking anyone from leaving) that he had to try and kill one of them. The poor boy.

If it wasn't for those darned policeman he wouldn't have been cowering inside the building, he would have been busy spreading peace joy and love to poor little orphans.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

educate the masses and the economy will reap the rewards, we are a small nation but we punch well above our weight because we have spo many scientists and educated people. the world owes alot to the uk for all the things we have brought to them, generators, lightbulbs,engines and power lines spreading throughout the world would not be there if it wasnt for scientists from newcastle upon tyne and that is just one small city compared to london new york etc.... when it comes to education we are at the top (i know harvard and yale etc... are great schools but not many get to go there) with maybe cuba above us if you are talking about on average, and they wouldnt have survived this long without all their doctors, teachers and scientists.
education is very very important and i just find it sad that people who want an education now might not be able to get it.
edit on 10-12-2010 by lewman because: said awards instead of rewards

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufoorbhunter
If that "student" messed with our future King Charles then bad miss. That entity should never mess with 1,000 years of continuity. It hurts me. I'm British. Lucky human
An insanity from a thousand years of inbreeding, that's your future and I feel sorry for you and envy not a single bit your promise of a future king.
I hope to never see such a day to be under any sort of so-called royalty and what in the world makes him so special? Bunch of Nazi's all this racial purity bunk.
edit on 10-12-2010 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i doubt all the people rioting even cared about the fees, some people love drama and not everyone is sane, we cant change that so maybe we should start making headlines like some nutter did a bit of criminal damage at a largely peaceful protest, but i suppose that wouldnt sell as many papers.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
reply to post by schuyler

education is very very important and i just find it sad that people who want an education now might not be able to get it.
edit on 10-12-2010 by lewman because: said awards instead of rewards

Why are people saying this? Seriously? Have I missed the bit where students have to pay out of their own pockets for the fees up front? If you're aiming for a degree you probably aren't anticipating flipping burgers in a fast food place for the rest of your life - where is the problem with this investment? If you don't make enough money, you won't pay anything back. Where is the problem with this investment?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

yeah it was completely the police's fault there was violence. Lucky them poor little students were equipped with flares, paint bombs and spray paint to protect themselves.

The police are there to protect life and property and thats exactly what they did. All these posts about police brutality I can only compare to a boxer who gets in a ring then complains when he gets hit.
edit on 10-12-2010 by onetruesaxon because: ...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's difficult really to comment about the cause of this guy's injuries without seeing footage or hearing the testimony of witnesses. I hope he fully recovers.

But, frankly, the one's I saw beaten with truncheons did appear to deserve it. I couldn't have shown the same restraint as those police officers.

And from my "water cooler" moments with colleagues today, everyone has sympathies for the cause for which these people were demonstrating ... but everyone is repulsed by the behaviour of those who desecrated the Cenotaph, vandalised the statues & buildings, attacked the car carrying the Prince of Wales etc.

And a number of colleagues have raised a racial issue too. Many of those causing trouble were Asian British, presumably Muslim Asian British. Indeed, I heard a couple of them interviewed, raging against police brutality, state oppression ... and they could barely string a sentence in English together.

But let's not mention that, huh ?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Agree totally with your sentiments and I guess we shouldn't mention that 'issue' you touch on either lol

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sorry about the unpleasant remarks.
I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and am unhappy about what BP did to us and wonder if I'm going to die or something from their polluting the place with toxic and carcinogenic chemicals.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

please think about the fact that the majority of british people are not royalists and many of us feel terrible for the bp crisis and the effect that it has had on the world. we the british are a nation of enviromental enthusiasts (in relative terms to most other developed nations) and i would hope that we can all learn to develope cleaner ways to live but i am sure bp, shell and the american companys like texaco etc.. will make sure that doesnt happen in the near future and we the people will not be able to do anything about it.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
BP wrecked an entire coastal southern region of the US, who was behind this all? that is the question we should be asking.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Is there anyone on here over 30 that has a family and works a 40 hr job in addition to paying taxes. Please don't identify yourself as saying I'm over 30.

How the hell are some of you defending lawless behavior? Most of you on here appear to be so righteous and yet you justify a person throwing a fire extinguisher off of a roof onto policemen...that is not the normal comment of a progressive thinking person.

Some of you justifying that the police should just step aside if property is being damaged? Heaven forbid something like this happen to your personal property because some kids decide to riot. God forbid you have a father in the fire department who responds and gets injured due to the riot. You kids that are lucky enough if you can wipe your own ass have no idea what you are talking about.

Lets keep things in perspective just like the government has the right to dole out millions upon millions for people on welfare decide to make a generational right to suck what they can from the government god forbid now if they have to raise college tuition....Get a friggin job..I wonder how many of those kids rioting are driving around in nice cars, talking on their iphones and reading the Ipads or playing on their xbox 360 or wii smoking weed and drinking beer. My point is I"m sure somethings on their part can be sacrificed as the taxpayers of any country are sacrificing things they could get their family but instead have to pay half of their salary that go to taxes to pay for public education, public assistance, drug programs, alcohol programs, abortions for women who forget what a rubber looks like but can afford to pay for it, food stamps, stipends for daycare that are paid by the government, free education, subsidized housing, lower interest loans, healthcare to illegal or low income families and so on....so their mad because they have to pay for tuition and your average tuition in the united states can be viewed here in case your curious...Link

And as i said in the other posts the kids should not be protesting because clearly they do not know how but the parents should be protesting....forgive me but i'm so sick of some of the people on here justifying breaking the law and destroying peoples property. Imagine being a five year old living in a house witnessing this...you don't think this is terrifying nearbye neighborhoods and honest working people...now how much more is this going to cost the city for this clean up and repair and again it's the taxpayers that will eventually shoulder the load...and please leave out secret government agendas and they deserve this...nobody has the right to act like animals and this is precisely why we have policemen/women. Everybody on here talks about all these elite people that are in charge of the world and only certain people know who they are yet the police is somehow part of that..so your friend or your neighbor who you grew up with or maybe even a relative that might be a police officer is on on this whole agenda thing...I sometimes wonder what moderators are for on this site when people are advocating violence against the police or another other person.

Link to officers killed in the line of duty

and god forbid if someone you know has a horrible crime committed against them and god forbid if that crime involves a child...
And these are the precisely the people who need the police to all the police hating pieces of garbage
Link to sexual assaults on minors
Link

edit on 10-12-2010 by chrismarco because: Left out a link

edit on 10-12-2010 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY
and a lil piggy got stamped on by his own horse... isn't karma great

Yes, karma is a bitch. I have horses and love them dearly, but the last place I would want to be riding my horse is in the middle of a riot - especially with fire! I have gotten my foot stepped on quite a few times and have had to help an injured and panicked horse and it is very scary indeed. I know they give you a birds-eye view but I'd hate to be caught in the middle of a riot near one.

CX

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Do we have proof that this lads head injury was indeed due to a police officers truncheon?

If there is video or camera footage, then fair enough, however after watching the press conference earlier, i think the students would blame the police for anything right now.

Every student there is being made out to be an angel, as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouth.

CX.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
Is there anyone on here over 30 that has a family and works a 40 hr job in addition to paying taxes. Please don't identify yourself as saying I'm over 30.

I am over 30. I work twelve hour night shifts. I don't have kids myself, but I have a large close family.

I don't support mindless violence. But I UNDERSTAND HUMAN EMOTION, and the need to defend ones self when under attack by a group of people abusing their authority.

Unlike so many others, I was watching the protests all day, live. I saw the Police state that protesters wishing to leave the kettle should do so through Victoria Street. They stated this SEVERAL TIMES live on air.

We then watched as they were blocked from leaving, and the Horses charged them while so-called "officers" attacked them with clubs.

This was a set-up by the Met on behalf of the UK Government to rile up the crowd and encourage a response so they could then justify any action they wished to take.
We all know this. Anyone who was watching the live footage would have seen this. We heard this stated on live TV over and over, and then we saw the reality of what the Police had planned.

If I had been in that crowd when those Horses had charged I would be defending myself against tyranny too!

It makes me utterly incensed that history is being rewritten by the corporate scum media and the corrupt police at the behest of our corrupt government. You and I both know what happened. We know it was planned and executed deliberately in an effort to discredit the protesters as violent thugs. And I find it disgusting that so many who are supposedly in their position to "protect" the public simply accept this.

I saw, with my own eyes, LIVE on TV, an officer fall from his horse. The Police and media then came out saying he had been "Pulled" from his horse!
Are the Police really that stupid? Do they not know that helicopter flying over them is broadcasting live? Do they think that if they tell a lie often enough it suddenly becomes true?

That alone tells me that I cannot trust the Met, I cannot trust my government, and I cannot trust the MSM (not that I did before).

The way this country is now, I fully expect to see more rioting on the streets of London. And if the Police use these tactics of deliberately attacking a crowd that they have imprisoned for that purpose, they deserve every injury, every rock thrown, every beating and every ounce of shame poured on them from the British public.

They are an embarrassment to our country and those making these decisions should be imprisoned.

Oh, and you want to talk about protecting kids? There were kids as young as twelve in that crowd, the kids who will have to pay this extortion if they even want to try to get a decent education in this country. Those innocent kids were directed to that street by the Met Police with a false promise of being allowed to leave, then they were attacked by the officers who were supposed to be there to protect them.

So don't even try to pretend there is any moral high ground for those officers.

/rant

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join