It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested in London

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

The founder of Wikileaks, Julian Assange, has been arrested by the Metropolitan Police.

The 39-year-old Australian denies allegations he sexually assaulted two women in Sweden.

Mr Assange's lawyer, Mark Stephens, has criticised the Swedish prosecutors, saying Mr Assange had been offering to meet since August.

edit on 12/7/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Well it now appears Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested in London, England today. I will post new information as it comes in.

According to FoxNews Julian Assange surrendered himself to the British police and was placed under arrest at 9:30 a.m. (4:30 EST).

Swiss bank has frozen Julian Assange's legal defense fund just yesterday, Monday December 6.

Mr. Stephens says any attempt at extradition will be stopped over fears Assange might be handed over to the Americans.

RussiaToday: WikiLeaks damage to US foreign policy colossal according to political scientist Timothy Colton.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

British police arrested WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange Tuesday on a European warrant issued by Sweden, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Swedish prosecutors issued the arrest order for the 39-year-old Australian who is wanted in Sweden on suspicion of committing sexual crimes, which he denies.

His lawyer had earlier arranged to deliver him to British police for questioning in a sex-crimes investigation of the man who has angered Washington by spilling thousands of government secrets on the Internet.

www.cnn.com...

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was arrested Tuesday in London on a Swedish warrant, London's Metropolitan Police said.

Assange was arrested at a London police station at 9:30 a.m. (4:30 a.m. ET) and will appear at the City of Westminster Magistrate's Court later in the day, police said.

www.foxnews.com...

www.rawstory.com...

rt.com...

news.sky.com... 15849036?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15849036_Julian_Assange%3A_WikiLeaks_Founder_Meets_Police_In_Britain_Over_Sexual_Assault_Claims_In _Sweden

Mr Assange will appear before City of Westminster magistrates so a decision can be made about whether the warrant is appropriate for extradition.

Mr Stephens has warned any attempt to extradite will be resisted, "mainly on the grounds that he may be handed over to the Americans".

australianetworknews.com...

www.euronews.net...

www.jpost.com...

www.reuters.com...
edit on 12/7/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The Metropolitan Police released a statement a short time ago saying that he was arrested this morning at 9am by appointment, that he “presented himself”. They also said that he is accused of 1 count of unlawful coercion, 1 count of sexual molestation and 1 count of rape.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Well since he turned himself in I doubt we'll be getting the keys for the goods any time soon? Or is this part of Assange's plan since he knows they'd never let him go? Interesting times ahead.

By the way lets use this thread out of the 6 that were just created

edit on 7-12-2010 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I thought the warrant was for questioning?

Second

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
He should of known if he is smart that uk police use electronic mind control, so he has to be careful in his thoughts too.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

He should of known if he is smart that uk police use electronic mind control, so he has to be careful in his thoughts too.

Are you serious? How do you know this to be a fact? Do you think they will subliminally tell Julian to forget to release the encryption/decryption details?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Just so everyone knows this is the first thread on the Arrest of Julian Assange so there is no confusion.

I will provide as many links as possible as the story developes.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Julian Assange is calling for supporters to put up surety and bail for him.

presstv.ir...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
As I mentioned in the other thread...
It said on the news about 15 minutes ago, that Assange is to go in front of a magistrate in less than 1 hour.

link   
(from yet another thread)

My prediction, he will be in a US run Guantanamo type facility by Friday, and the world can go back to it's credit card stupor safely.

Swedes always liked to play all sides of the fence, in order to chicken out of trouble, and the UK is a US-run proxy state.

+8 more 
link   
This is more exciting than that time when Richard Dean Anderson was almost back to the stargate but then then the world started to explode and you weren't sure if he was going to make it but then he did just in the nick of time!

So I guess you could say Julian Assange is kind of like Richard Dean Anderson, and Wikileaks is kind of like the stargate, and the molestation allegations are the Goauld.

And you don't want to get f***ed by a Goauld!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Julian Assange is calling for supporters to put up surety and bail for him.

presstv.ir...

He will be in prison for a long time then.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How can we let this happen? A good man getting arrested on bogus charges??? we need to organize a world wide protest.....i would but i wouldn't know where to start. but we can't let julian go down without a fight. and I hope they release the good stuff that was said to be released if he was arrested.....

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
There is a rumour it *might* be thrown out - was in another thread but also being discussed on Guardian, too.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Right at this moment in time is when we should really be paying attention. What happens to Assange will shape people's opinions of Wikileaks and its releases immensely. For those who call the site a government-run psy-ops program, what happens in the next few days will give major credence to either or, depending on what happens to him.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Wikileaks will be still running
I hope the Court will react in terms of law and release Assange!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Update: WikiLeaks has no current plans to release encryption code for remaining U.S. cables, sources tell Guardian http://(link tracking not allowed)/g1IP0w

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by andy1033

Are you serious? How do you know this to be a fact? Do you think they will subliminally tell Julian to forget to release the encryption/decryption details?

seriously you think Julian is going to release the details from prison......? ha i would put money on his peers have the means to release the info.....now i hope the turmoil that was reported to be inside wikileaks is bogus and they release it

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Open letter: To Julia Gillard, re Julian Assange

We wrote the letter below because we believe that Julian Assange is entitled to all the protections enshrined in the rule of law – and that the Australian Government has an obligation to ensure he receives them. The signatures here have been collected in the course of a day-and-a-half, primarily from people in publishing, law and politics. The signatories hold divergent views about WikiLeaks and its operations. But they are united in a determination to see Mr Assange treated fairly. We know that many others would have liked to sign. But given the urgency of the situation, we though it expedient to publish now rather than collect more names.

www.abc.net.au...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join