It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abovetopsecret.com ridiculed in a College Course.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
And it wasn't too pretty.

I won't say too much about where, or who, for privacy issues.

I will say this was a higher level Criminal Justice course at a Big Ten University.

The setting:

The instructor, who is a high ranking law official, was describing a case about a troubled teenager from Minnesota who lived near a Reservation. The young man later killed a number of people, and then himself, but he was a contributor to this site. He posted some damning things about his future a short time before committing suicide.

The instructors description of this site was something to the effect of, "A site where conspiracy theorists go to talk about how the UN is going to invade the US and use the backs of road signs (because Europeans drive backwards, they will see the backs of our road signs) to help direct them to FEMA concentration camps where the undesired will be held, and Obama will be ok with this, because he's from Venus."

As you might guess, the subsequent laughs were overwhelming.

And then I thought to myself, "What did he say that was wrong?"

I'm sure you could search this site and find something related to each piece of that description.

ATS' motto "Deny Ignorance" doesn't seem to be adhered to these days. The conspiracy theories that come about these days get wilder and wilder, and I can't remember a single prediction made on this site that has come true. So does ATS deserve any credence? Why are the theories proposed here believed if they never come true? Are we really "Denying Ignorance" by coming up with such outlandish theories? Do we at ATS deserve any respect, or should we be ridiculed like this when mentioned in public?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Edit: Within three pages of this thread's beginning, there are people accusing me of hoaxing (LOL). If you really think that I would waste my time creating a hoax, then contact a moderator, and I will gladly give that moderator sufficient information as to prove that this thread is not a hoax, i.e. the name of the University, the name of the instructor, and a copy of the class syllabus. Thanks.

edit on 6/12/10 by wisefoolishness because: Spelling

edit on 6/12/10 by wisefoolishness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think this is a hoax if you really want to know......

You circumvent all the details and make up things where it seems fit for you to leave out the good information..

If you want to be believed we need specific...

The "professor" didn't leave out specifics but seems that the specifics of him his class school and setting was..

Move to hoax!!!

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
the common term
"conspiracy theorist" is designed to garner riddacule from the general population
its part of the devide and concour motto
if you study phyc for a bit you will see most people only want to conform to a positive sterio type
so this term is used to scare people away from alternative topics
its all about control on a mental level
i meet people who hear one wiff of the words and anything i say no matter how informed i am they
switch off

its simple heard conditioning
baaaaa
lol

xploder

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hey, they ridiculed the idea that the Earth was round a while back as well. I wouln't put too much stock in the current higher education system. It's purpose now seems to be to dumb a person down and create a mindless consumer/skilled trades-person, rather than a thinking member of society. Remember when the purpose of college was to teach people how to think, instead of what to think?

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Well, you've been around the block, at least in terms of registration date, but you seem green.

I won't say too much about where, or who, for privacy issues.

You obviously know where and who, yet you think by revealing this info that you are crossing the line..?

Are we really "Denying Ignorance" by coming up with such outlandish theories?

Are you denying ignorance by starting this thread without the fortitude to bring the facts to the table for a relevant discussion..?

No - you've let ALL of us dowwn...

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I personally do not care who ridicules me. It is very easy to ridicule anything and anyone...that guy wants to laugh at people..that is fine.

But the community I belong to here, will never commit the number of crimes, injustices, murders and quackery that this high ranking law man's little circle of "power hungry jerks" have been guilty of committing/performing for decades and decades.

They want to shake a finger at us for reading?

I shake a finger at the countless rapes, murders, robberies, lies, embezzlements, cover-ups and attacks that "his side" has been proven guilty of.

Who's worse?

I tell you, give me a microphone and that same crowd and the laughs wouldn't be so easily earned on his side of it all. In fact, I think he would be a bit lost for words if handed "real conspiracies worthy of debate" instead of being allowed to make up his own and then top it off with Obama being from Venus.

If you see him again, tell him Mr Mask would like a nice bit of time debating this subject and making him look foolish"...far more foolish then "ATS" can ever hope to be.

MM
edit on 6-12-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
If there was never people that thought outside of the box, or current acceptance, then we would still be living in caves, dying from the flu.

People are going to do what they want, there are crazies that have nothing to do with conspiracy theories, so the fact that this superior officer put him going crazy and this site together is proving his ignorance.

One person in a small city (registered members of ATS) goes crazy and that makes us all crazy?

Complete ignorance.

Pred...

+7 more 
link   
Well to be fair I often laugh at what is expressed on the ATS ... not as much as some of the stuff they teach at the lobotomy farms that are most universities, but still, ATS is funnyish.

link   
This is not new. There was was a guy calling himself "Jack Blade" who used to ramble about satan and such on this forum and others. He ended up killing a vicar a few years back.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

and Obama will be ok with this, because he's from Venus." As you might guess, the subsequent laughs were overwhelming. And then I thought to myself, "What did he say that was wrong?"

What did he say that was wrong? Obama is from Kenya, and everyone knows that Kenya is on MARS!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Naturally I know the information but I don't plan on hurting persons or reputations associated with this event.

What if I went to a mall and said, "Hey everyone, facelift thinks you're all a bunch of idiots!"

Now imagine that you're a well known public official that can be found easily.

Think everyone is going to be nice to you?

What extra facts do you want? The instructors address? His SSN? I'll get right on that...
edit on 6/12/10 by wisefoolishness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Hmmmm....

Consider the "insurance file" that is all the rage for discussion on news and in politics right now. Guess where I first heard about that? Right here on ATS - many months ago.

In many cases news is news before its news here on ATS. Heh - hopefully that made sense.

Excuse me if I steal a bit from Forest Gump. ATS is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. Yes, some are full of nuts. Some can be a little fruity. Some may be just be not to your tastes.

But there are times when you get something so good that it is just amazing.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Well it's good to know that this teacher is getting a good laugh out of the death of a young man.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Well to be fair I often laugh at what is expressed on the ATS ... not as much as some of the stuff they teach at the lobotomy farms that are most universities, but still, ATS is funnyish.

Most funny stuff on here presented as "factual" is usually the product of trolls looking to poke fun.

It is very easy to see what is real info or news, and what is being created by a desktop comedian looking for Lulz.

I think people tend to give trolls too much credit by assuming they "believe the crap they post".

MM

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
man, this website is crazy

90 % of the content is classified as crap and useless for me

and this professor there is right, most people that come to this website just to provide fuel to their delusional life

you want to investigate things, propose theories, ok

but 90 % of the people here talk about theories as they were TRUTH ...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
This is not new. There was was a guy calling himself "Jack Blade" who used to ramble about satan and such on this forum and others. He ended up killing a vicar a few years back.

news.bbc.co.uk...

He inhaled lighter fluid on a daily basis?

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 6-12-2010 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Let's get the proffessor on here and have him debate one of our esteemed alumni like wcitizen, protoplasmictravler, or the mask.

link   
reply to post by davespanners

You're taking things out of context, he wasn't laughing at the young mans death. In fact he was very interested in our thoughts about how his posts could have been used to prevent his death.

He was laughing at some nonsensical ideas that were featured on this site.

link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

Well I certainly didn't mean it in a bad way ... what you say is true, but your santa thread made me laugh the other day.

It's all good, I mean we are talking about the Big Ten after all.

link   
the own website is ridiculed by itself

you just need to read front page title of threads during a week to realize that

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join