It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Benefits Expire

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

well,in order to collect unemployment bennies where I am,you have to submit verifiable work search evidence for them to investigate before one collects.

Don't generalize please?.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think it is moving toward attempting to make many completely dependent on the system/state.

You don't get squat without stumbling into some kind of contract......

.....like those things most people don't read......

Cuz latin is a dead language,and they're too poor to hire a lawyer.

Scary!.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Ditto.

Ditto..

It just gets harder,then you actually get too old to fight it.

Then,Thank GD,you get to die and escape this place.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The thing with the unemployment benefits are this… it is real easy to think that everyone on unemployment is milking it dry. That’s not the case. There are definitely some who are “milking the system”, but I would like to think that’s a small percentage.

With my case, I am 36, worked 13 years at a major computer company as a database admin. I worked with legacy software, that was specialized. I took training every chance I could, which worked out because I gained skills with more widely used software. I made decent money (not great, but not bad either), and my wife and I made sure not to live outside our means. We did not own our own house because I didn’t want to go that far in debt. Truth be told, we were maybe 500 dollars in debt by the time I was laid off (which I may add was because my job was outsourced to India, and the company I worked for, after laying off a bunch of people, then asked the Gov’t for bailout funds which they received, so they could train the workers overseas… this actually was public knowledge that caused some uproar, but I wont say the company’s name in case they ever want to hire me back haha), which would have been paid off within a month or so. We lived off of our savings once I was laid off, while searching for a new job. Then I collected unemployment, and at the present moment are in the extended benefits tier. After 6 months of searching and not getting even a bite (submitting me resume upwards of 10 to 15 times a day and looking both in and out of Florida)… I decided to look into retraining. There is a place down here that worked with unemployment to help displaced workers (there are no more jobs available for my skill set)… and I decided to go back to school for one of the jobs in the Federal Hot Jobs list. So I am going back to school for a job that actually is considered in demand.

The point I am trying to make here is… I did not, nor am I know, “milking” the system. I am trying to fast track my degree by taking 5 classes per semester, still looking for a job, growing my debt with school loans and so on. All to become a productive member of society. I am going to school to become a Alcohol and Substance abuse counselor. To GIVE back to society while hopefully make a new career for myself because my old career doesn’t exist anymore.

My wife and I still do charity work like we always have, because while life may not be what we want it to be, we are still better off then many. My wife works as a Vet Tech, not making great money, but it helps. I have never once asked… what about me. Honestly… seeing politicians get richer, and seeing people like myself getting poorer… yes, I am left to wonder… what about me, and the rest of the people like me who did everything we were supposed to. Kept our debt down, worked our butts off, contributed to society.

If they do not pass the extension, honestly, I don’t know what I will do. I’m not above foodstamps of whatever else if I need it, but I would rather see such things go to those who need it more. I will figure something out though. Hell, I even went to my local congressmens office and asked for a job. I figure, they are the ones who helped get us into this mess. Needless to say, they were no help.

Honestly… everyone seems so worried about people “milking” the system… in Florida at least, possibly elsewhere too, once you hit the Extended Benefits, you must list the places you have applied at before you can certify your weeks, and supposedly they do check. Maybe make it so that was required for every tier and extension. This isn’t about money though, this boils down to politics. The fact is, we, the people, did not get us into this mess, or at least should not shoulder the lions share of the blame. If 2 million lose their benefits in December, they will still be a drain on the system, because they will apply for foodstamps and welfare as well as other public programs, while not stimulating the economy. While I understand people want to kill off unemployment, it will make the issue worse.

Then again, maybe making it worse wouldn't be such a bad idea. Maybe it will give people a kick in the behind they need to actually voice their opinion.

Not everything is as cut and dry as it seems folks. There a lot more like me out there, as opposed to the ones “milking” the system.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

Nope the banks themselfes over the timeperiod that stands for it, they don't just get your money for free.
Sad part is that if they fall, like Lehman then there is a problem but i dont think that is gonna happen.

Reading the article,

but some economists argue that stopping the unemployment benefits bill - with an estimated cost of $5 billion per month - will actually hurt the economy. "That's $5 billion that's yanked out of the economy every month," said Heidi Sierholz, an economist at the nonpartisan think tank Economic Policy Institute in Washington, D.C. "Each month, almost 1 percent of the GDP will be taken out of the economy if we don't extend benefits, and that's going to be a massive drag on growth."

Make one wonder what is really important here, people able to live or economic growt

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Lets wait and see if they have a last minute vote to extend the benefits again.

My fear however is that the previous extensions were done while looking at a calendar. Having benefits expire in the summer is less effective than in the winter.

4 weeks before Christmas?

If I wanted to put the screws to people in the hopes that they would lash out this is what I would do. What better way to thuroughly demoralize people than to force them to look into thier childs eyes knowing that Santa may not make it this year.

We have been talking here for months about pushing the American public to the breaking point.

This may be it.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

Ahhhhhhhh you're awake and aware.

Yes, TPTB want us to be beholden to them. That plays right into their hands.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Extending unemployment for poor = $50 billion +/-
Extending tax cuts for rich = $700 billion +/-

So naturally we'll extend the tax cuts and cut off the unemployment. This is America, after all. It's the Christian thing to do.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarcMandrake
The thing with the unemployment benefits are this… it is real easy to think that everyone on unemployment is milking it dry. That’s not the case. There are definitely some who are “milking the system”, but I would like to think that’s a small percentage.

Oh yeah baby, less than minimum wage, that's high flyin'. Whoo wee!

But seriously, even if they were "milking" the system, according to economists it's not actually a drain. Unemployment still creates up to $2 for every $1 spent even with all this alleged spilled "milk" (so to speak).

The reality is there are no blue collar jobs here (and increasingly less white collar), so now those getting kicked off of unemployment do what? They have little choice but to apply for welfare, food stamps, free school lunches, govt housing, etc. etc. etc. Thus perpetuating the nanny state cycle. What we NEED is a real labor movement and a govt revolution too while we're at it. Screw the Libs, screw the Cons, eat the rich.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It is my job to keep 8 positions filled. Full time w/a pretty decent benefit package. Hired someone who had been unemployed for a year. Worked for us 1 month, quit for medical reasons and promptly filed unemployment. Advertised position in local paper, population 18,000 and drew in 13 applications. Of those 9 had felony convictions, youngest of remaining 4 applications was 51. Two misspelled position they were applying for. One was offered position but declined because it was full time and would cancel his disability benefits. Where are these legions of unemployed???

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeasantRebellion
Extending unemployment for poor = $50 billion +/-
Extending tax cuts for rich = $700 billion +/-

So naturally we'll extend the tax cuts and cut off the unemployment. This is America, after all. It's the Christian thing to do.

No

Extending unemployment benefits = 17 billion

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by americanwoman
It is my job to keep 8 positions filled. Full time w/a pretty decent benefit package. Hired someone who had been unemployed for a year. Worked for us 1 month, quit for medical reasons and promptly filed unemployment. Advertised position in local paper, population 18,000 and drew in 13 applications. Of those 9 had felony convictions, youngest of remaining 4 applications was 51. Two misspelled position they were applying for. One was offered position but declined because it was full time and would cancel his disability benefits. Where are these legions of unemployed???

I hear alot of hypothetical jobs...sure...whatever

list em...tomorrow expect 200 people trying to get that one job.

just put up or shut up...looking for workers of specific skills...list em...else your talking nonsense.
Some people would gladly move across country if hired for 15 bucks an hour..thats how bad it is.

ooh...I have a job where there are 4 million positions open, but nobody takes it.
ya...sure...whatever dude. I also have the secrets of the universe
I am calling you out...list it.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by americanwoman

18000 wow what a thriving metropolis...
Not everyone lives out in fum buck egypt where 80 percent of the town is retired.... Sigh!

By the way what is the positions and what does it pay that might explain why such a low response. I bet Walmart greeter doesn't get near the response systems administrator does.

Why is it everyone thinks their little personal experience in Po-dunk USA is an accurate sample of the whole country?
edit on 1-12-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

GOOD.

Why always scrounge you useless jobless people.

When you have a safety net you never get motivated.

CUT ALL benefits and provide homes and care for Children in need instead.

The jobless waste billions of dollars.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject9
reply to post by SaturnFX

GOOD.

Why always scrounge you useless jobless people.

When you have a safety net you never get motivated.

CUT ALL benefits and provide homes and care for Children in need instead.

The jobless waste billions of dollars.

Your not banned yet?
meh...give it a few more minutes

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well said, of course people are not taking into account the EXTRAORDINARY nature of the economy right now.

Along with worldwide tensions, a million people, middle class people, without a dollar to live on. A month before Christmas. And they call themselves Christians?

Is this Jesus Christ's birthsday, and u doin what!?

This will make nice 2012 campaign ad.........

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Listen to me. Please

The benefits end on December 31st. They will be renewed right before Christmas. There are 2 million people that would be affected. No politician in this environment would risk that. The republican butt holes are bluffing to get Obama to renew the tax exemption for the millionaires.

That's all.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

And this is the root of alot of our problems right now as a country. These costly wars of blood and treasure. There would not probably even BE a deficit, if you minused military expenditures.

But you so right, they done wasted alot of our money to secure their 'interest' (ahem, OIL). And now when WE the People need to secure our 'interest', its F U!

Our interest are bread and water, shelter and health. We are not into Nation Building.

Just want to feed the babies this winter. Outrageous.

They should pay for this.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

You anywhere near S.E. Wisconsin?
I've been unemployed for a while, but my wife has a very secure, well paying job, at a bank. Go figure!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

You really might consider the fact that most people who fall prey to the justice system..(ain't that a joke ) ...,who are convicted felons,simply were too poor to obtain good legal representation.

I don't know what your company is,or it's policies.....

But some people just need a second chance.

Some of the most trustworthy people I have ever met are felons.

It's about redemption.

You can't trust anyone,I mean no one,but you gotta trust someone.

Risk can't be eliminated,insurance companies lie,and try to quantify the unquantifyable for profit.

From You Fear.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join