It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking promises a time machine!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

Surely if someone made such a thing, money would not be a thing that concerned them.

Man peopel in teh west and they think money and loterries is all people want. Not everyone wants fast cars, and clothes like armani.

edit on 11/20/2010 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I didn't read everything, but there's no way Hawking would promise a time machine, because traveling to the past is impossible (any wise person understands that) and traveling to the future is just going to a preservation can.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
There is no such thing as time. You can't travel through something that does not exist.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
reply to post by Arken

I don't understand why people are so into timemachines, there is no timeline, only a cicle, possitions of our planet in time and space.

Starred, you've just summed up my thoughts exactly. I always tell people that time is just a measurement, like a foot or a meter, for the purpose of organization.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte
There is no such thing as time. You can't travel through something that does not exist.

So gravity does not have an effect on time does it?

lol

It does exist.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

Like how man flying was impossible, lol.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I wish I had a time machine... If people could travel back in time though they would prolly have some way to be invisible too so not to disturb the natives in the present.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I thought that it was Stephen Hawking himself who said that timetraveling back in the past was impossible.

He say's that only in the future could be possible :

Tourism in time

Stephen Hawking once suggested that the absence of tourists from the future constitutes an argument against the existence of time travel—a variant of the Fermi paradox. Of course this would not prove that time travel is physically impossible, since it might be that time travel is physically possible but that it is never in fact developed (or is cautiously never used); and even if it is developed, Hawking notes elsewhere that time travel might only be possible in a region of spacetime that is warped in the right way, and that if we cannot create such a region until the future, then time travelers would not be able to travel back before that date, so "This picture would explain why we haven't been over run by tourists from the future."[17] Carl Sagan also once suggested the possibility that time travelers could be here, but are disguising their existence or are not recognized as time travelers.[18]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
The one thing that has always confused me about time travel is how a time traveler, (traveling to the past specifically), would be able to choose a specific point in space-time where they would appear on stable, earth ground.

As the earth, solar system, and galaxy are hurtling through space at almost incalculable speeds and directions... It seems ponder if the point in space-time that a time traveler chooses as their starting point will remain the same point after their travel.

Maybe I am making it too complicated?

Haha

I have often thought the same thing; you could end up in a rock, a tree, or even the vacuum of space unless maybe there is a beacon (unique identifier for matter in a certain location) of sorts that could be tracked through time emanating from matter itself on a sub-atomic level . . . kind of like the equivalent of our DNA. Far fetched I know, but what the hell, we are talking about time travel here.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by css1981

That's the thing about Hawking. He changes his mind as much as his underwear. He likes string theory, he hates string theory, he hates m theory, he likes m theory.

He's a hard guy to get a grasp of what he's thinking.

Pred...
edit on 20-11-2010 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Intelearthling

Surely if someone made such a thing, money would not be a thing that concerned them.

Man peopel in teh west and they think money and loterries is all people want. Not everyone wants fast cars, and clothes like armani.

I was referring to UncleGravitys post about the things he would change if he had a chance to time travel. In it UncleGravity mentioned of things he would go back in time to do. The last thing he mentioned was get next weeks lottery numbers. Going back in time to get next weeks lottery numbers?

I made the
sign as sarcasm to what I said about that would be a heck of a machine.

Seriously. If I had only 1 choice of time destination, I would go to June 24, 1863 (a week before the Battle of Gettysburg), find General Lee and beg him not to go to Gettysburg unprepared or avoid it all together.

Yep. That's what I'd do. Money? Blah! Lotteries? Blah!

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I would probably pick Dirac, and I know you know why. Brilliant mind.

A brilliant mind indeed, but I'm not sure whether I'd speak of him as being 'of our time'. He was of the generation after Einstein's, and died in 1984.

Who would you pick from among those scientists alive today? Kaku is not a contender in my opinion. His contribution to physics was minor, and these days he is mostly a media figure. What about Leonard Susskind, the real father of string theory, and a famous opponent of Hawking?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
reply to post by Arken

I don't understand why people are so into timemachines, there is no timeline, only a cicle, possitions of our planet in time and space.

Well thank god you cleared that up. Everybody pepi78 has explained time the univere and evrything ...
Could you be so kind as to give mr hawking a call and stop him from wasting his time...

do me a favour pal if you wanna debunk someone , try aiming a littllower than proffesor hawking because in all fairness he has a lot more credibility than you will ever have..

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mackblack27
do me a favour pal if you wanna debunk someone , try aiming a littllower than proffesor hawking because in all fairness he has a lot more credibility than you will ever have..

Do you really think so? In all fairness, Hawking said that time travel could only go into the future. I suppose he finally figured out something that's been going on for billions of years. Are we not going forward in time at this very instant?

The thing about making an object disappear and reappear later at a predetermined time and distance is how are we to know for sure. Put a watch on board and see if it has the same time when it reappears? Who's is to say that the watch wouldn't speed up as the machine made its journey? Now here's the thing about this thought. Will the object be instantly projected to the future waitng for time to catch up with it or will it just cease to exist from the physical universe and reappear at the predetermined time it was programmed to do?

I'm sorry but woring on time travel is about as productive as working on an experiment to prove that ether exists.

Whoa! I apologize. The ether experiments did yeild that ether doesn't exist so these experiments will prove that time travel is just pure fantasy and I don't care how intelligent the guy is coming up with these hare-brained theories.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Flying was supposed to be impossible, moon landing was supposed to be absurd, a thing for comic books, cars going faster were supposed to kill humans...
Phone was supposed to be useless, cinema was supposed to be a temporary thing...

Science dogmas are plenty of suppositions...Great minds will blow the minds of so many skeptic people who are only able to explain things citing science books...

We will get time travel...

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Another Hawkings thread.
Lets see his big claim to fame was proved wrong. The only reason we keep hearing about him is because of sympathy. This man is and always has been a fraud. If he had legs and a real voice he would be nothing.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
like he says, the only thing getting through these tiny fraction rips through time are an invisible cell and unless one can become a single cell, the point is meaningless for the physical being

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
this is super neat i wonder how if developed technology like this will be weaponized and utilized in distant wars not that im a war monger but people have an inane ability to take things like this and use them for all the wrong reasons

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I think in order to be able to travel back in time we would have to first understand what time is. Is it something we only perceive in these physical bodies? What does it consist of? Is it past, present, and future all at once? Is it a straight line? What has happened, what is happening, and what will happen? Is it multi-dimensional, but we only perceive one slow (forward) direction? If we know what it is, what composes it, shouldn't we be able to manipulate it? Last week I was at work, patrolling in a boring circle, when I stopped the car to smoke and contemplate time. You ever feel like there is something you should know, but you can’t for the life of you figure it out? It’s been on my mind ever since.

I’ve always believed that for every thought we have there is a dimension where it is so. That, what we think, we create in this world or another. That the only thing that limits us is us. That there is nothing that is impossible. Maybe they have done this before, and they are getting ready to tell us. But, they can’t just say it, they have to make it seem as if it is new. If they have changed the past, maybe it immediately splintered off into an alternate reality. We would never know.

I don’t know, guess these are just crazy thoughts from a non-scientist.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

What a scurrilous, filthy little libel your post is. Do you really think you are fit to judge the work of Stephen Hawking? Do you possess a doctorate in physics? That would be the minimum qualification required to even begin to disagree with his ideas--and I guarantee that if you had such a qualification, you would be singing a different tune about Prof. Hawking.

Your post is off-topic, slanderous and vicious. Its effect is the same as if you had defecated on a plate at a dinner-party and offered it to your fellow-guests as a bonbon. You are a disgrace to this forum.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join