It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking promises a time machine!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanuckCoder
reply to post by Secularist

Einstein proved space-time curved a long time ago.

In general relativity, it is assumed that spacetime is curved by the presence of matter (energy),

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

It's not proven as you had pointed out.

It is only hard to explain, if you don't know what it's about. If you don't know it, or won't research it for yourself please don't try and pass it off as fact. No offense intended.
edit on 19-11-2010 by CanuckCoder because: Grammar

edit on 19-11-2010 by CanuckCoder because: Added Quote

That is what its pretty much about.
And Einstein did prove space-time curves. Im sorry but he did. Theres evidence of it in simple planetary orbits. Large objects have a mass that bends the "fabric" of space-time and any passing object smaller then it will fall into its mass and continue on its path in rotation around the larger object.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
They don't need to build the time machine craft, they only need to make the tube thing, then they can just wait for one from the future to appear.

You could call that a paradox, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

They can only go from point A to B, C, D,......, so you set up point A then the rest is easy.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The one thing that has always confused me about time travel is how a time traveler, (traveling to the past specifically), would be able to choose a specific point in space-time where they would appear on stable, earth ground.

As the earth, solar system, and galaxy are hurtling through space at almost incalculable speeds and directions... It seems ponder if the point in space-time that a time traveler chooses as their starting point will remain the same point after their travel.

Maybe I am making it too complicated?

Haha

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

This is exactly the same theory used by Asimov in one of his (very few, maybe the only one) books about time travelling:
The end of eternity

Time travel is very dangerous, just think if Hitler had it!! I advise Mr. Hawking to stop this crap!! Better watch South Park on tv...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

Ok so travelling to the past might be out, but I could theoreticaly look at the past and show you pictures of the dinosaurs/ atlantis? anybody want to see who really made the pyramids? First you need a space craft that can travel FASTER then the speed of light...

It's a lovely idea, but you'd have to travel rather far.

Four thousand light-years to view the Pyramids being built.

Sixty-five million light-years (one two-hundredth of the way across the observable universe) to watch the dinosaurs.

Hard to get good resolution at those distances, no? You wouldn't even be able to see Earth--though you might be able to infer the existence of Jupiter from the way the Sun wobbles.

Current physics offers no practical method for time travel or viewing the distant past.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Don't get me wrong (about Hawking), the guy's done some excellent work and he is brilliant, but he's in no way the greatest scientist of our time.

Would you like to propose the name of another candidate?

I'm keen to see whom you would pick, and how you would substantiate your choice.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

They know that this machine will NEVER work.

But they also know the Gov't will give them BILLIONS OF DOLLARS to "work on it".

It's a SCAM. Bottom line. $$$$$$$.

Your post is a beautiful example of conspiracy-theorist paranoia, otherwise known as Chicken Little Syndrome

There is no machine.

There is no project.

There never will be, unless some stupid politician decides the laws of nature can be repealed by popular vote.

So calm down, loose cannon. Nobody is after your precious $$$ to build a time machine.

edit on 19/11/10 by Astyanax because: of chickens

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Aww these things annoy me... 8/

They promise us things but never quite give.

We have TRANSPORTERS!!! well, they think they can make subatomic particles exist in two different places at once and both have the same information... Whatever that means.. I want to transport myself to the shops - Oh not there yet... Bummer.

We have INVISIBILITY!!! well, they have a metamaterial that in theory can bend light around itself, but so far they can only do it with certain high intensity microwaves, but in tests, it was viable. I want to sneak around in public and harry potter people for fun - Oh not there yet... Bummer.

We have MULTIPLE DIMENSIONS!!! well, .. actually, I have no idea what the heck that one was about, as it was just convoluted from the get go... suffice to say, they said it but in practical terms, so what.

They keep telling us of all these mintox things that are now possible... flippin sticks, nothing actually does it tho.. GAHHH!!!

Now what? Time travel? I'm traveling in time right now... look, I just went another minute into the future. I will see you all on the other side... Ahh there we go, destination, now.

Want to travel back in time? Drink a bottle of good whiskey. Somehow you end up 24 hours yesterday, while the world has progressed.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'll take a ticket to the year that ww4 starts. I've got plenty of sticks and rocks to use!!!

edit for second line: Anybody got a slingshot I can borrow?
edit on 19-11-2010 by USpatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I knew about this twenty years ago. That jerk Hawking still owes me five hundred dollars in damages for crashing into my brand-new 1991 Ford Explorer with that piece of crap time machine!

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

"They don't need to build the time machine craft, they only need to make the tube thing, then they can just wait for one from the future to appear.

You could call that a paradox, but I'm just trying to be realistic.

They can only go from point A to B, C, D,......, so you set up point A then the rest is easy. "

googolplex,
Good observation. I say your right and the Philadelphia Experiment is quite propably the very day when the secret government got one of there very own. I do believe the timelines will just be opened and not created. I suspect we do get byproducts of the connection that are going to be revealed if and when the lid blows off this time machine concept.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

If that was the case you are playing in a movie, that is what a time machine is doing, no choice , no free will.
That is why there is no time line, think of it of something happening because it's ment to happen, no matter what you do you can't change it because you are in that time line, something of ZEN fhilosophy.
Of course I don't beilive in it, it's not the case. There is no timeline only the yes and the no we make, we decide.
Some bigger events it may be, can you imagine what a time machine implies, that there is no free will, no choice. Just like a water flow, a river, the water takes it's course and find it's way to the waterfall, but I'm no river.
You are in the car if you don't pull the stearing weal you crash and you die, it's your choice. A time machine and a time line states the contrary, that you can't avoid the accident and no matter what you do you will crash or you will avoid the crash. A time line implies absolute destiny , no choice at all. Then I don't see what good does a brain do, it's absolete, something I like to think it's there for me to decide, other wise it's pointless having a brain.

edit on 20-11-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-11-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Don't get me wrong (about Hawking), the guy's done some excellent work and he is brilliant, but he's in no way the greatest scientist of our time.

Would you like to propose the name of another candidate?

I'm keen to see whom you would pick, and how you would substantiate your choice.

I would probably pick Dirac, and I know you know why. Brilliant mind.

Hawking is good, but I would not say #2 behind Einstien. I would probably put Kaku higher than him because Kaku thinks out of the box.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

So you really going to come on someone else's thread, crap all over their riff, and then convince them that there is something more important that they SHOULD be talking about? That is lame my friend, lame. Maybe the OP should've posted a thread about something as important as a "wing disappearing" from one of the 9/11 attack planes? That's a much more constructive and productive use of thread space eh?'

edit on 20-11-2010 by openmind444 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I wonder if they have built the Flux Capacitor and where are they going to get the 1.21 gigawatts of power to fuel it?

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
If this news is real, and I think so, I take this very seriously.
The MIT Teams project under the "Overlord" Stephen Hawking spend millions dollars and energy in this project.
The time travel theory is already proved.
The TEMPO Project is the concretization of the theory....

If you wish to use Stephen Hawking as a source, he has said many times that it would be impossible to travel back in time - he hasn't said it's technically possible to travel forward. Thanks.
edit on 20-11-2010 by something wicked because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Funny thing is that in the recent serie "The Event", the airplane who enters a wormhole i dont remember where exits in arizona desert. -_-

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Your right I did mean "back in time", not "the future".

After reading many of these posts it has come to my conclusion that time travel 'means' different things to different people. When I think of time travel I think of somehow breaking the normal daily constraints time has upon my life, my body. In this case if I had a speed of light rocket and traveled for many years I could go into the future several 100 years with only aging a couple myself. I see this as time travel. When I look at stars in the sky with a telescope I see the past, for what I'm looking at happened thousands(millions) of years earlier.
I don't want to steer the thread into a different direction but I believe time is a human construct. When compared to the universe, time acts differently it is dimensional that's why it's called space/time. To be anywhere you need a place in space and a time it happens, they are not interchangeable.
There is some speculation that space/time itself is expanding with our universe so what we 'perceive' as 1 minute today was not equivalent 16 billion years ago when the universe was smaller, nor will it be as the universe expands. But matter isn't effected by these differences in space/time just the fundamental forces.
edit on 11/20/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Surely there is some sort of frequency to any given point and time reference. Time must leave something there, as how can we go and reference it from memories etc...

I would say it would have to have some sort of frequency to any point in time.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Uncle Gravity

Hey Hitler! How are you going to go back in time to get next weeks lottery numbers?

Now that would be on heck of a time meachine!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join