It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking promises a time machine!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
humans can't even handle themselves as it is now, can you imagine what would happen if that corruption or 'evil' found it's hands on the power to travel through time?

this is horrible, anyone who thinks this is a good idea is probably not intending on this technology to get into 'the wrong' hands

As this technology is not viable it could land in the hands of the worst most evil person in the world and they would be as much empowered by it as giving them a small Satsuma

Korg.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electric Crown
reply to post by Lagrimas

time machines will only be able to go back as far as when the first one is activated. Thats why they haven't shown up yet

Just like The End Of Eternity by Isaac Asimov. I think he was also spot on when he describes a ruling elite who hold the technology in secret and use it to facilitate trade.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Talking about the science fiction is fun... But people, look into it in some depth and you will see it is not possible. Period.

Korg.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Stephen Hawkings is getting worse every day from ALS, the last I heard his assistant is having trouble even communicating to and fro with him. This was about 6-8 months ago. There is great debate why he became the spokes person for this field when others have made greater more recent contributions. I am in no way trying to cast a shadow over his brilliant career but his name is now a marketing tool used for funding, profit and exposure.

For time travel you need an ungodly amount of energy, unless they have solved the energy problems in our world also, I just can't believe this is accurate.
edit on 11/19/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Yes this is no joke and its not new either they have been doing this for a very long time, just because someone has mentioned it doesnt mean it doesnt exsist !

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I can't comment on whether the time travel tech they are talking about has any real chance of working, beyond to say that it sounds a bit dodgy to me. But I do have a bit of a problem with yet another article declaring Stephen Hawking the most brilliant physicist since Einstein, or whatever. For the most part, Hawking's theories have either been overturned or found to have flaws in them. There are many other major theoretical physicists whose work has been much more important to the field and who's stuff has held up much better under scrutiny or through more advances in the field. The only reason people keep calling him the most brilliant mind is because his story is so compelling and sort of romantic...him being so physically atrophied and weak, yet still able to do great things wih his mind.

Don't get me wrong, the guy's done some excellent work and he is brilliant, but he's in no way the greatest scientist of our time. In fact, were it not for his personal story and writing his book, he'd likely be a lesser known scientist in his field.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
If time machines are possible then we have to consider that advanced alien races already have them and that there is probably a universal law involved here.

In addition, the planet is moving, as is the solar system, the galaxy and the universe, so how do they intend to arrive exactly in the desert, when by the time a time ship leaves we will be in a completely different area in space?

I'm sorry but stephen hawking still believes the sun is a fusion reaction bought about by gravity, the guy is a moron and his book is total drivel and has proven to be.

We live in an electric universe not a purely gravitational one.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Thing is Hawkings is limited by using Einsteins theory in that it excludes the higher dimensions which TT needs in order to happen. This will be laughed out of science. At least for now.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

The only thing I could find is this:

Q: Can we build a time machine?
A: An internationally renowned expert on general relativity says it’s a no go…

While some cosmic analysts have suggested that time travel is at least theoretically possible, MIT physicist Eddie Farhi, an internationally renowned expert on general relativity, says it’s a no go. “I’ve given a lot of thought to the problem of time travel in recent years,” Farhi, director of MIT’s Center for Theoretical Physics, was quoted in the fall of 2007, “and everything I’ve ever looked at suggests that the laws of physics conspire to prevent you from going backward in time.”

Farhi and MIT colleagues considered Princeton astrophysicist John Richard Gott’s proposal of using cosmic strings to create a time machine, but “what we discovered was that you really could not construct such an object because the construction would require more than half the energy in the entire universe,” he said. Furthermore, it was later shown that if you built such a device, before the would-be time traveler completed a voyage to his past, the universe would end in a Big Crunch. “So it really seems that time travel cannot happen,” Farhi said. – Deborah Halber

Note the source..
engineering.mit.edu...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I also think it is very closed minded to think that TT is impossible. We are just not there yet. Openly.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Fingersoup

While some cosmic analysts have suggested that time travel is at least theoretically possible, MIT physicist Eddie Farhi, an internationally renowned expert on general relativity, says it’s a no go. “I’ve given a lot of thought to the problem of time travel in recent years,” Farhi, director of MIT’s Center for Theoretical Physics, was quoted in the fall of 2007, “and everything I’ve ever looked at suggests that the laws of physics conspire to prevent you from going backward in time.”

I have also given this a lot of thought over the years, the problem here is that Physicist Eddie Farhi isn't thinking outside of the box, the so called laws of physics are not the be all end all, because these laws cannot prove time travel doesn't mean it doesn't exist. My feeling is that they are looking in all the wrong places, it may be possible to time travel without a machine, there are scientists out there who believe this is so. If psychic abilities exist you cannot prove it with a machine or the scientific method but yet there is much anecdotal evidence that is does.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Time Travel is impossible. Not because we lack the technology, rather, it's because it is illogical if you think about it.

Time Travel, if possible would allow impossible things to occur. This is easy to contemplate if you consider a small window of time, say a 10 minute window of time.

In this 10 minute window of time, we will focus on 2 particular minutes: Minute 1, and Minute 9.

At Minute 1, you do nothing, nobody comes out of the machine. You wait for the minutes to tick by until you reach Minute 9. At Minute 9, you step into the time machine, and jump back to Minute 1.

You come out of the time machine and meet yourself at Minute 1. Quite to your surprise, there are now 2 of you. Wonderful! But wait....how can there be 2 of you?

First of all, the Universe you just entered now has MORE ENERGY & MATTER now that you entered into it. IMPOSSIBLE.
The Universe you left has LESS ENERGY & MATTER now that you left it. IMPOSSIBLE.

Both Universes violated the conservation laws of energy.

Secondly, If no one came out of the time machine at the first Minute 1, then that means you did NOT go into the time machine at Minute 9, which conflicts with reality. You either did go into the machine, or you didn't. It can't be both.

This is where people try to say, "Well, it's 2 different Universes!". To which I reply, "Nope, that can't happen because you may not violate the conservation laws of energy."

Time travel in THIS UNIVERSE is impossible. To make it happen, you either have to violate the conservation laws of energy (multi-universe), or you create situations where 2 completely separate and opposing events happen at a particular moment in time, which is impossible because at any one point in time, the Universe can only condense down to one reality, not 2 or more.
edit on 19-11-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

TT is possible and the laws of physics do prove it. In simple terms gravity bends space/time (I never use these two terms independent anymore for obvious reasons), light speed stops time, getting close to it slows it. We just don't have the technology to generate or harness enough energy to produce a wormhole, expand it in size and make it stable. But even with this technology working there is debate whether you can go back in time because you can't go farther back then when the machine was initially turned on (unless it's to an alternate reality, but that ain't time travel). There are other theoretical methods but they all fall short when it comes to the amount of energy needed to accomplish this goal. We will get there but right now we can't even solve our energy problems here on earth, how are we going to make the jump to harvesting the equivalent power of the entire sun from this? Only time will tell. . .

And it's conservation of information also with TT you never leave the universe just travel within it, anything other is inter dimensional traveling.
edit on 11/19/2010 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
You can't travel back in time because there is nothing to travel back to.

There is only a now, and the now is changing. There is no time. Time only exists in living beings minds because they have memory, and they remember the changes of now.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Therein lies the problem, everyone wants to relate Time Travel to technology and or machines when it may be possible to accomplish this with the mind alone which already exist in all of us.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

Whenever someone looks into a telescope they are traveling back in time.

You are seeing back into the future, not moving but still going back. This is how we obtained images of the birth of the universe.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

You might be right, let me know when you find them so they can teach me how to do it.

I have some lottery tickets to buy that day.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Time travel (IF possible) throws up all kinds of paradoxes.

If you were able to travel in time, you would also have to travel in location wouldn't you? Think about it....

If you went back a few days, you would arrive at a location in space because the earth would be in a different place in it's orbit around the sun. The only way around this would be to travel in yearly increments to have a chance of hitting any kind of arrival point on the planet's surface and a few seconds out would either put you underground in solid rock or up in the atmosphere.

Transporting objects comes closer to a realistic approach on the matter, but still not possible imo. Use a truck like anyone else!

It really bugs me that so much time and money is spent on such fantasy when the real problems get ignored and continue to cause grief in the real world.

These scientists are just money mad and constantly seeking (and getting) funding for things that are absolutely useless in day to day life for 99.9999% of "normal" people.

Mr Hawking may have a brilliant mind, but why can't he use it for something useful...like finding a cure for neuro-muscular dystrophy.
edit on 19/11/2010 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Gravity
A time machine great! Thing's i would go back in time to do.........

Tell Jesus that Paul was gonna take over and corupt the religion.
Tell JFK to duck.
Sit at Roswell and wait for that F*c*ing crash.
Tell Monica Lewinsky to "Remember wash that fu**ing dress" (only kidding with that one....lol)
Invite all of the Bush family to dinner on 9/11 at the twin towers.
Listen in to Larry Silverstein's phone call with Netanyahu before said event!
Go face to face with Alexander the great and say "Come ahead if you think your hard enough!"
and last but not least get next weeks lottery numbers!!!

Just a few thought's.

you missed one...
go back in time and prevent youre father to have xxxx with youre mother by the time you were made...
not an insult but think about it...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I am so grateful to be living in a time where this mans mind is free to run rampant. Stephen W. Hawking's brilliance is truly unrivaled.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join