It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your thoughts on thoughts?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

So if thoughts dont make up your personality then what does? Those nuns and monks would just follow their instincts and have sex, if it was'nt for their thoughts stopping them.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

So do you attribute thoughts to conciousness itself or just to having a brain thats capable of thinking?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by godddd
Thoughts derive from our memory which is our accumulated knowledge that we have.
Thought means time, because it is always in a direction and it is measurement because we compare.

I do not agree, thoughts can be a cummilation of life, but what about that spark we have that has nothing to do with us? What about imagination, what about fantasies that we do not want to have nothing to do with in real life, what about all the dark thoughts we all have, what about thoughts that are mist of the thoughts we have that mean nothing, absolutely nothing.

Not one thought is meant for another, and how can you tell what one thought means over another. You can never. Just imagaine all the different types of thoughts you have.

What about telepathic thoughts we all pick up occasinally, that have nothing to do with us. How can anyone understand those thoughts, no one can.

Can you explain spark?

we are full of imagination, having fantasy's and images of each other and reality, our perception differs because of our interpretation.

Telepathic is easely explained as our thoughts means energy, we are energetic beings and that energy is captured by others who are sensitive.
Also our body language plays a role in it.

If one lives close to one another then most of us experience a real connection like we are able to read each others thoughts and know how the other feels.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

I think the brain is the avenue for consciousness to 'be'.

A interesting 'wonder' is how much can animals 'think'. I watch my cat seem to 'plan' attacks on my dog or birds...I watch my dog seem to 'think' how he is going to get someone to 'pet him'. Are they acting purely on a reward and punish system...or impulse system....or in some way can we call it 'thinking'.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The knowledge we have is never complete so we are always adding to it by finding out more and more information.
We are evolving doing discovery's and so on.
Its all based on the outer, but the inner is never explored.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Your personality is more your personal constuct of what you are attracted to (like does power interests you?) ....did nature and nurture shape you to be a 'social bug' who enjoys people or did it create you to be 'withdrawn' feeling uncomfortable in social situations? The personality of a being is very complex, many things come into play. And then of course, a persons personality would effect the 'avenues' that they can perceive for the possibilities and potentials that a thought has.

One person that has a thought on wishing the world was a better place may only see a negative potential...creating unhappiness in their being...seeing no hope for the world to become 'better' and not seeing the possibility that they themselves can become a 'change' in the world. Another person might see an aray of possibilities and potentials in the thought of desires for the world to be a better place. They may express this thought outwardly by volunteering themselves at a nursing home or donating money to an orphanage...ect. They may even become a speaker to others to encourage that the world can become more then what it is.

Personality defiantly can distort a perspective of possibility and potential.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Yeah i often wonder about animals aswell. Either they think to the extent that they're capable of and never question. Or they're so connected with nature that they just know the answers already and so just be what they are.

I often wish i could be so sure, and easily pleased. It would make life so much easier.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by godddd

Of course the inner is explored. Have you never looked inside yourself and tried to get to the bottom of who or what you are. Yes much of what we learn is due to external influence, but you still have a choice on whether to accept it or not.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

So your backing up what im saying then. Your thoughts on the world around you are what makes you what you are, and this manifests in your personality.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I "think", thoughts are just another layer of illusion. Just as physicality is one base layer of illusion.

There are basically two groups of people - for varied reasons. I "think" most of the people on the "know", know what I am talking about. One group consider thoughts to be very important; and the other group consider thoughts to be of little importance. Each has their own reasons - each to function according to their own "structure".

But the thing is, thoughts are just illusion, nothing more. And to cut through the illusion, you need to use tools of illusion, i.e the mind!

Be it whatever, the river only flows...doesn't care about it's origin; neither it's destination. However, if it comes to know about it's origin or destination; then good for it! That doesn't stop the flow, though.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by remembrance_of_past

Very interesting, ive just started practicing meditation tecniques designed to free me from my thoughts. So i can free myself of the illusions of reality and maybe see whats really there within me if anything. So to some extent i would agree that thoughts are a form of delusion or illusion.

I know what you mean about those who dont think thoughts are important and sometimes i wish i could be that way. I suppose i could if i wanted but its just not me. Its the same with dreams. Some people just dismiss them while i see them as some kind of message or symbolism that speaks from within me, or from some other realm.

Thanks for your post.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal

So your backing up what im saying then. Your thoughts on the world around you are what makes you what you are, and this manifests in your personality.

For the most part....but for me deeper belief of 'who we are'....is that 'we' as separate individuals are pretty much an illusion. An expression of a thought...in itself. We as 'seemingly individuals' are an illusion/phase of being....of a 'one infinite self'. This would get complicated and complex to go further down that rabbit hole...and since the 'experience of being a 'individual'' in itself causing many delusions and attributes like 'pride'...its hard for someone to grasp that their 'original thought' may of not been 'their own at all' but of the 'one infinite one' that is trying to 'become/manifest a 'perfect expression of being' through this 'form/phase'.

So since there is so much distortion of the infinite one...that we are all of but just dont see that we are....while we are in this experience....our personalities and perspectives of potentials and our intellectual mind as well as personal desires and attractions....'lead' our thinking for now.

As one can connect back to its true source of being....then where is those 'thoughts' really coming from. Would it not be from the infinite mind that they are of, a part of, a phase of being 'of'.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

When i was "thinking" of how inspiration and those ideas that no ones ever concieved of before might come from. The one theory i found that best fits for me, is that we are all connected and that all our thoughts remain held in the ether or matrix, which you can access if you open yourself up to it. So basicaly your just borrowing pieces from other peoples thoughts and putting it together as your own Since then ive realised that even this was'nt my own thought because i watched a video on the same thing shortly after.

So maybe we are all part of the same entity, its only our ego's that trick us in to believing were somehow different from everything else. Thats why i got interested in buddhist philosophy, and im currently working on therevada meditaion to further my quest for the truth. They just seem to have it right for me.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

This is a totaly philosophical discusion. Im not interested in what you think the science is behind them. I could do a search on the internetm if i wanted to find that out.

So what are thoughts to you. Its weird that you have to use thoughts to try and work out what thoughts are. Where do they paint themselves for you to see them? Its like you have your own personal white board in your mind with full running comentary to go with it. Who are you talking to anyways? If the thoughts are yours then why the need to speak them out loud, when its inside your head anyways.

This is one subject that everyone must have a theory or philosophy on. After all we all use thoughts, thousands if not hundreds of thousands of times a day. I wonder whether many people stop to actually notice what a wonderful and mysterious thing they are.

Could they be your conciousness talking to your brain or vicer versa?

edit on 3/11/10 by KrypticCriminal because: (no reason given)

Kabbalah has alot to say on thoughts.

In essence, thoughts are the crystalization of the spiritual essence which impregnates mans consciousness. This is why spiritually speaking, thoughts are feminine, which give 'birth' to emotion (and eventually action) whereas the spiritual insight, the undifferentiated influx of thought is masculine.

I always marvel at how paradoxical it is. That we can have thought yet we can only muse on the nature of it through the same medium. Yet, despite that, certain thoughts are infused with the power of divine inspiration, actually causing one to ascend higher into more abstract layers of consciousness which at times transcend thought and enter a state of knowing beyond words.

Thought also occurs in many stages. It first is inner focused, related to the insight that it derives its structure from, and than it becomes outer focused, applied in some manner that the mind seems appropriate for it. This extension of thought is what gives birth to the emotions.

Suffice to say, all of this occurs in a split second. You really have to break it down and meditate on your own internal nature to see the incredible subtlety and stages that bridge pure will to action.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Thanks for your "thoughts"

Ive heard of kabbalah but im not aware of its intricacies so i'll have to look in to it. Sounds very interesting though.
Meditation is something ive just started to get acustomed to, so im not at a stage where i can draw any conclusions from it yet. I can only manage about 20 mins at the minute before i allow myself to get distracted, but im working on it.

Kabbalah also uses yoga aswell does'nt it? Is it not linked to Buddhism somewhere down the line. It sounds very similar.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Thoughts derive from our memory which is our accumulated knowledge that we have.
Thought means time, because it is always in a direction and it is measurement because we compare.

I do not agree, thoughts can be a cummilation of life, but what about that spark we have that has nothing to do with us? What about imagination, what about fantasies that we do not want to have nothing to do with in real life, what about all the dark thoughts we all have, what about thoughts that are mist of the thoughts we have that mean nothing, absolutely nothing.

Not one thought is meant for another, and how can you tell what one thought means over another. You can never. Just imagaine all the different types of thoughts you have.

What about telepathic thoughts we all pick up occasinally, that have nothing to do with us. How can anyone understand those thoughts, no one can.

Can you explain spark?

we are full of imagination, having fantasy's and images of each other and reality, our perception differs because of our interpretation.

Telepathic is easely explained as our thoughts means energy, we are energetic beings and that energy is captured by others who are sensitive.
Also our body language plays a role in it.

If one lives close to one another then most of us experience a real connection like we are able to read each others thoughts and know how the other feels.

There isnt 'telapathic thought'. Whats happening when we pick up other peoples 'thoughts' is actually a feeling, which is impressedby the nature of the thought that produced it.

This is why unconsciously we all whether 'telepathic' or not pick up the emotions of others. To some people who are more attuned to this reality, the emotion taken in unconsciously is translated and one intuits what was thought by the other person. Above reflects below. All emotions were created by some thought, and therefore, all emotions can be traced back to the thought which produced it. This is an automatic process which the unconscious performs. The mind which is attuned to the spiritual reality than absorbs this content and if he wills it, can translate the emotion into thought.

Of course, no one who possess telepathic powers "wills to translate emotion into thought" they simply focus their minds and the thought materializes in their consciousness. But the principle is universal. Only emotion (energy in motion) or spirit is transmitted. The spirit contains the impression of the abstract thought which created it, and thus, reveals to another mind what was thought.

We see this principle in nature all the time. When we become attuned to the process' of weather, we can determine by the conditions of the sky whether a storm will occur or not. Or certain symptoms allude to a condition.This is the physical pointing to some spiritual (conceptual) knowledge which teh physical alludes to.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Thanks for your "thoughts"

Ive heard of kabbalah but im not aware of its intricacies so i'll have to look in to it. Sounds very interesting though.
Meditation is something ive just started to get acustomed to, so im not at a stage where i can draw any conclusions from it yet. I can only manage about 20 mins at the minute before i allow myself to get distracted, but im working on it.

Kabbalah also uses yoga aswell does'nt it? Is it not linked to Buddhism somewhere down the line. It sounds very similar.

Yoga is Hinduism

Kabbalah is Jewish mysticism. There is no point of connection between either tradition. The kabbalistic tradition goes back to the biblical prophets, who of course, were mystics.

Jewish 'yoga' doesnt exist. Of course, there is very similar ideas between Jewish meditation and Yoga, but Yoga is a much more intricate system of knowledge.

The kabbalists also have very unique meditations that are less physical in nature (that is, not requiring certain poses) but in my mind are just as interesting, or even more interesting. The hebrew language is in itself a template of the spiritual worlds. therefore, each Hebrew letter stands for a primordial archetypal reality. Each word (organization of letters) alludes to a more personal archetypal reality. When one meditates on the letters (the shapes of the letters of Hebrew words refer to the divine energy/patterns of the archetypal reality it corresponds to) he actually merges his thought to the divine reality which creates it. This is a profound idea and it can have profound effects, both internally and externally.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Thanks for the info, i noticed when i first started looking in to Buddhism that there were many different sub sections that derived from it. Thought it might have been one of them and thats where id seen it.

Sounds very intriuging so 'ill definatley look in the meditations used. Thats all im really focused on at the minute.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Obviously, thoughts are much faster than uttering verbage.
If a picture tells a thousands words then an instantaneous thought can be told with two thousand words.
Maybe not even that many because many times a simple thought can be expressed with a simple "yes" or "no".

Many times, a person's thoughts can be revealed through their body language and mannerisms.
No one is better at reading these signals than Marc Salem. He believes everyone has this ability and he may be right.

I believe thought is Man's original language.
This "universal language" known as telekenisis was taken away from Man during the time of Babylon, and this extraordinary ability was disabled from our brain.
That's when Man had to resort to relying on the spoken word to cummunicate.
I mean heck, we only use 11% of our brain anyway.

What better way to create confusion and disarray amongst the Babylonian Tower builders.

Initially these were mere grunts and groans that eventually developed into the many spoken languages of the world we have today.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Interesting take on this, but how can someone strip you of the gift? If we could,nt speak to start out with then they would have had to use telepathy to persuade us not to use it and they would have had to have had a pre created language to introduce.

I believe everyone has the power to learn this gift but i dont believe it used to be our means of communication, i do believe it will become our mans of communication eventually though. One we start using some of the other 89% of our brains that is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join