It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your thoughts on thoughts?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

If we were created, then only the creator would know how to disable certain traits through genetic re-engineering, much like our modern day scientists are currently doing as the continue to "play God".
They are discovering the areas of the human brain that are responsible every specific motor skill, trait, ability,...

Ever wonder why the so called "idiot savants" have exceptional abilities?
It is because they are wired diffently, and these "wires" are tapping into areas of the brain that normally shouldn't be tapped into.
This tells me those abilities are already present in all of us, just inaccessible.

I believe it will become our means of communication once again, maybe scientist will some day discover the means of re-enabling this and many other extra-ordinary gifts traits.

Maybe it's already been discovered?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Im not so sure its so inaccesable. I think we've just forgotten how to fully engage our brains. I watched a programme once about a man that had a stroke and was told that he'd never speak again. Somehow, which amazed the doctors more than anything. He managed to rewire his own brain and he can now speak normaly.

when they asked him how he manged to do this and he said he just willed his brain to work it out. He felt the occational rush of something like movement or energy sweeping across his brain and one day he could speak. A little at first but eventualy full speech. Doctors could see that the big black section that was damaged was still there yet he somehow channeled connections around it and overcame it. Which i think is amazing. So it really is mind over matter. Ive never tied but i believe i could develop telepathy if i knew how. Maybe i should try it and find out.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Why am I having my thoughts in this body? Who am I that has thoughts. Why am I seeing through these eyes, having my experiences?

I've tried many times to ponder these questions but soon get lost in circular arguments with myself and my own existance.

By the very fact that I am able to think and see through these eyes makes me wonder whether I am real at all. No doubt everyone else has the same thought, but then what if I am the ONLY one, who or what are you? Do you think like I think, do you see like I see. Is the green of the grass outside the same green I see?

What would I see if I were able to look through your eyes? You are not me; would I see a negative (film) of what I see?

Am I the only one? If I am, what purpose do I have. If not, again what's my purpose; I am one of billions; what is my significance?
All the dogs have their fleas on their backs to bite them,
All fleas have small fleas, so ad infinitum.

Hmmmmm.............enough red wine I think for now
And so the questions go on and remain unanswered

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
reply to post by godddd

Of course the inner is explored. Have you never looked inside yourself and tried to get to the bottom of who or what you are. Yes much of what we learn is due to external influence, but you still have a choice on whether to accept it or not.

I must make myself more clear i think.
By exploring the inner i don't mean myself or you explore your inner self.
One can only learn by interacting with others.
What is it you will find in yourself that is different from others? we all have fears needs and longings.
Me and you or others are not really different in that, but our knowledge is.. because it derives from our perception and the interpretation of it.

With exploring the inner i mean 'the mind' not your mind or my mind but 'the mind' which is destroying the world because that is what we are doing.

Not only the world but also our self because of some ideology or idea, a system like the economy or fighting over some god's or political Issue.

Everything is created and is being sustained by thought.
And thoughts means the outside, an observer who thinks he must do something about the problems that he sees in the world.
One does not see himself as the observed and that is the real problem

One can try to control his thoughts, but who is the controler of thoughts? another fragment of thoughts.
Let it flow and look, look at the mind.. the mind of humankind.
Only then you will see and learn.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
my thoughts on my thoughts are that my thoughts are right and others thoughts usually not so much. but then again, everyone probably thinks that. but uh, i'm right. if you listen carefully, you will notice that i won't tell you guys a lie. trust me.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I would like to ask a question, do you think we are our thoughts?

Is it our thought that define who we are many times more than our names, occupation...?

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

It's a difficult subject to discuss, mostly because we know nothing of how thoughts work outside of the actual transmitting of electrical signals by our brain.

We don't know where they come from, or how they manifest, just how they travel.

A wise man once told me " You are NOT your brain."

I've been inclined to believe that since the concept was introduced. Truly I think that thoughts are an expression of the soul.

Although there is a strange thing that happens to us that most people don't notice when it comes to thoughts.

You ever had a thought and then thought " Is that even mine? Where did that come from?".

There's seems, at least to me that we can "implant" thoughts in other people. You know how they say kids are impressionable? Well adults are the same way in my mind.

For a long time I had problems figuring out which thoughts were genuinly mine and which were placed there by our environment. The TV, radio other people etc.

Just some thoughts on thoughts

~Keeper

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimble

Theres nothing wrong with supping a bit of wine and doing a bit of contemplating

Believe it or not i can find ome clarity in my thoughts once alchohol gets rid of all the daily fluff that clogs up the machine. Remembering it the next day is another matter.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by godddd

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
reply to post by godddd

Of course the inner is explored. Have you never looked inside yourself and tried to get to the bottom of who or what you are. Yes much of what we learn is due to external influence, but you still have a choice on whether to accept it or not.

I must make myself more clear i think.
By exploring the inner i don't mean myself or you explore your inner self.
One can only learn by interacting with others.
What is it you will find in yourself that is different from others? we all have fears needs and longings.
Me and you or others are not really different in that, but our knowledge is.. because it derives from our perception and the interpretation of it.

With exploring the inner i mean 'the mind' not your mind or my mind but 'the mind' which is destroying the world because that is what we are doing.

Not only the world but also our self because of some ideology or idea, a system like the economy or fighting over some god's or political Issue.

Everything is created and is being sustained by thought.
And thoughts means the outside, an observer who thinks he must do something about the problems that he sees in the world.
One does not see himself as the observed and that is the real problem

One can try to control his thoughts, but who is the controler of thoughts? another fragment of thoughts.
Let it flow and look, look at the mind.. the mind of humankind.
Only then you will see and learn.

I disagree, i believe you can learn far more by looking inside yourself and then projecting what you find outwards IMO. You gain a better sense of whats happening with other people and why they do what they do. For a start you can free yourself from fears and longings and get right to the route of what it means to be alive, and part of this world. Free from all the Egotistic traits that only serve to seperate ourselves from one another.

Learning externaly only teaches us how to understand and interact with the world outside of ourselves. The same way all living things learn. So maybe its our ability to look within that makes us so different. We have the unique ability to be our own saviour and our own worst nightmare in one package.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingMe
I would like to ask a question, do you think we are our thoughts?

Is it our thought that define who we are many times more than our names, occupation...?

Yes i do believe its our thoughts that make us what we are. Think of it like this. Someone can look at a tree stump and see nothing more than a tree stump. Someone else can look at that same tree stump and see it as Art, some kind of statement to the downfall of nature as humans spread across the planet. They're bothing looking at the same thing, yet its their thoughts that make all the difference.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I have to agree with the old man, we are not our brain, but does that mean we are our thoughts? You could'nt have your thoughts without your brain, yet you could'nt control your brain without your thoughts. Does this make them the same thing? Or are your thoughts coming from somewhere unknown, your conciousness has a link to?

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
As soon as i get a thought i THINK "Were did that just come from?"

They are strange things indeed. To me, well im convinced there are other worlds or realities intertwined with our own. I've always felt like the thoughts that come into my head are from some other beings reality.

In other words my thoughts = their reality, Their thoughts = my reality. One beings thought is another beings "reality" experience.

Maybe im just mad.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BaldTaillessApe

I dont agree 100% with what your saying but it is possible that your thoughts may come from another realm of existance. Where your eternal timeless soul speaks to your physical brain through the gateway of conciousness.

Your not mad
You just think outside the box. The world needs people like you, it would be boring if we all thought the same way.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I guess when it comes to things were merely too simple to understand, then anything could be a possibility

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Well i agree with you on the part of being our own saviour

The outer and the inner are not separated, they are totally related, that is, the inner has created the outer.
So thats why i say just let it flow and look, automaticaly you will mirror it within yourself.
For example, what does it mean to have a nationality? it really means division, a seperation between us.
One can see it clearly, every country has its army for defence, the security against the others.
While if we are not divided into nationality, there would be no need to secure ourself against other nations.

I do understand what you try to convey, because there is alot to see inside oneself like fear, anger, jealousy, despair and hope, pity, believe and disbelieve, being competitiv, pleasure, desire.

All that means observing the observed, like we are seperated from the observed.

I don't have to project anything because it is already out there, one can be jealous about me or fear me, or hate me or love me and so on and visa versa, its all separation.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by godddd

Yeah, i agree. We seem to find a million and one ways to seperate ourselves somehow. The Ego has a lot to do with it, aswell as fear of people or cultures we dont understand. I think the powers that be play on our insecurities so they can divide and conquer us. At least your thoughts are one thing they cant touch, as long as your aware of what they're up to and what methods they use to try and influence free will.
edit on 4/11/10 by KrypticCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Thoughts are the tool they can only use to control you. Where do you think the thoughts come from in the first place? Words, ideas and concepts are not yours, they have been programmed into your system, by the system.
Even time is a concept programmed into the system to make the system. How would the system of work/slavery be possible if the concept of time wasn`t in place?
Thoughts are not yours, or you. Thoughts are only echos, arising presently. Just clouds passing on the clear blue sky, let them pass.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Is there really free will? How often do we do something that we didn`t mean to do, want to do? Honestly?
Who is driving the dreambus? This is the title of a film, it explores this question.
Can we ever know our next thought? Or our next feeling? So, are we actually doing it? Or, are we being done? Is it all just being done?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Thoughts are the tool they can only use to control you. Where do you think the thoughts come from in the first place? Words, ideas and concepts are not yours, they have been programmed into your system, by the system.
Even time is a concept programmed into the system to make the system. How would the system of work/slavery be possible if the concept of time wasn`t in place?
Thoughts are not yours, or you. Thoughts are only echos, arising presently. Just clouds passing on the clear blue sky, let them pass.

I think thoughts are more important than you realise. To call them clouds that are just passing, is doing them a great disservice. Is it not your thoughts that are allowing you to make these distinctions? If the sytem controls your thoughts then it would'nt allow you to question the system. Otherwise it would never be in control in the first place. For me personaly my thoughts are what makes me, ME. There what differenciates me from you or anyone else with the same biological make up. Im not saying your judgment cant be influenced, but at the end of the day. You can learn to control your mind to the point where nothing can change how you feel or think about something.

Of course theres free will. You have free will to come on this thread and discuss your point of view. I have the free will to read it, accept it, reject it. What ever i choose to do. Unless your going to convince me that someones making you write what you've wrote and someones making me read it.
edit on 6/11/10 by KrypticCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

To explore free will one can ask himself, 'what is will?' it means a direction.
And that direction derives from a conclusion drawn of ones perception of reality.
Again there is an observer separated from the observed.
A direction and so there is a path to where this direction leads which means distance and time to the end goal.
Free will can only exist in a confused mind, and it means deside between this or that, weigh the options, find the best solution and so on.

We must be clear that we are talking about the mind and not the material world arround us in which we choose between a banana or orange to eat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join