It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indianapolis Bakery Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

If a man looks at a womans left boob it could be seen as sexual abuse.

It doesn't take much these days for sexual abuse to happen. To me the term has lost most of its meaning, kind of like the word racist.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

That post didn't sound anti-gay in the least bit? It was a first-hand account of a situation where rumors and devisive behavior were the problem. He criticized the Baptist church as much as the problem customer. He had a gay employee, and he talked about how they were supportive.

Why did you criticize that post?

Just more evidence that making gay/anti-gay a topic is the true problem. The problem isn't whether or not someone is gay. The problem is everybody trying to decide how we should treat everyone else? The problem is half-ass reading a post and jumping to a conclusion. (sometimes guilty myself) The problem is that we are talking about this issue at all. Either all sexuality belongs in private and we don't discuss it, or it all belongs public and I should be able to walk around nude. Bringing a little portion of sexuality into the public realm and then fighting about it is useless!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by VAPatriot

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"

This was a common and acepted statement. What happened?

Yeah, you are correct. WHAT DID EVER HAPPEN to our right to be racist bigoted business owners? I remember hearing it was some nonsense about making this world a better place or something along those insane lines.

Only crazy anti-american people want to make this world a better place. Us patriots like keeping the world of hate alive.

You know, I have the right to ask your wife out on a date even though she's married to you. But does that mean it's the "right" thing to do?

I say, let them eat cupcakes, one and all!

edit on 1-10-2010 by harrytuttle because: mod

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I agree he has a right to do business with anyone he chooses. Although, I find his choice rather funny. I thought being in business is all about making money? Isn't gay cash worth just as much as heterosexual cash? Frosting a cup cake in different colors isn't going to make your daughters decide to become lesbians. I wonder if the owner would eat a gay cup cake? "Here, have a gay cup cake! Get that gay cup cake out of my face before I shove it up you know where."

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, this is still going? The whole thing smells of a set up just to get more promotion, for free, for Come Out Day. There was no need for the person making the order to say this other than to set up the owners and get free advertising, just more abuse of the system to further the gay agenda.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
(deleted)

edit on 1/10/10 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

No matter how closeted one remains, they can still be fired in 29 states with no legal recourse.One doesn't have to be butch or flaming to get some nosy holier-thah-thou busybody started on a gay witch hunt. Most people do keep their sex lives private. It only takes one do-gooder actively prying into someone's life to ruin it, no matter how low key that life is. Most gays don't live life like it's a pride parade. They're just trying to get by. Cupcakes are the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Bakry Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

"A US bakery refused a rainbow cupcake order for a national coming out day because the owners "have two young, impressionable daughters' /

OFFICIALS in Indianapolis are turning up the heat on a bakery that refused to take an order from a student group seeking rainbow-colored cupcakes for next month's National Coming Out Day.

A spokesman for Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard said city officials are conducting an inquiry into the bakery, Just Cookies, which declined to take the order last week from a diversity group at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, which ordered the cupcakes for October 11, reported FOXNews.com yesterday.

Read more: www.news.com.au... z110sF1nq6

"

Wow, what bigots. I support private business being able to choose which jobs it feels are compatible to its mission statement.

But according to the article the place is in a public market?

So what was this father doing working for such a corrupt city that would force him to bake gay cupcakes?

Do they have the right to refuse to bake gay cupcakes?

Based on principal or morals or values?

For any reason?

Why or why not?

Please read: Posting work written by others.

edit on September 30th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: added the proper EX tags

Most religious ppl feel homosexuality is a major sin.

I am not religious, but as science would indicate it is an abberation due to hormonal issues in the mother.

www.thefreelibrary.com...

And as many ppl have said it is affecting fish and other creatures as well.

www.cbsnews.com...

It is like Galadriel said in lord of the rings:

The world is changing, I feel it in the earth, I feel it in the water, I smell it in the air . Much that once was is now forgotten; for none now live who remember it

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
To those blaming "religion".
Wouldn't it be more logical to assume that it is people using religion as an excuse to justify their own prejudices? As opposed to religion using people via prejudices?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

They're not exactly parading around with "God Hates Fags" signs or posting "No Gays Allowed Here" signs. It's their buisness. They can do what they like. They are not providing life or death services or are the only bakery in town. It only hurts them to be so bigotted, they lose profits.
But, when you force them to do something they don't want to do. You explode the problem and make them set harder in their ways, entrench so to speak. Which is as stupid as it is futile. I thought this was supposed to be a free country anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I don't condone what they did either. But it IS their right.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
You beat me to it! I live in Indy and thought this would be a good thread, if only to show what is going on in this prodominately 'red' state. While the 'red' is made up mostly of the cities outside Indy, Indy votes are usually liberal however I am noticing a change in the last few years.

Living here, I was outraged when I heard this story. What is more outrageous is that it just barely made a blip on the news. A lot of busybodies on my FB post and comment on local news, not this one. While a business has a right to refuse a customer, it sure doesn't make it right. It's just.....cupcakes!

I, for one, will be boycotting. They need to change the name from Just Cookies to Just Idiots.

If some one refusing to make a cupcake based on HIS moral's not yours or the people wanting them.
Makes you mad!!!!
Lord have mercy is all i can say lol
When people get mad over a cupcake the world conspiracy theories are but a mere twinkle in our eye's now folk's.
OUTRAGEOUS i tell ya

The
END
Is
Near!!!!!!!!!

edit on 1-10-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Let me ask this would a restaurant have the right to ask a gay couple to leave if they was kissing and what not in front of little kid's?

I bet 90% of ats would say no they don;t have the right.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

This is the bible belt.

For the record, Indy is not in the Bible Belt.

If it was, I would have been thrown out a long time ago

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

Well considering it's been done for purely hetero couples who decide to do a make out fest in a public eatery? Trust me. I know. I've been one of a couple asked to stop or leave.
And it's their right to do such.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAmused

If some one refusing to make a cupcake based on HIS moral's not yours or the people wanting them.

Makes you mad!!!Lord have mercy is all i can say lol

When people get mad over a cupcake the world conspiracy theories are but a mere twinkle in our eye's now folk's.

Its not about a cupcake.

Apparently - - its OK to discriminate.

But - - not OK to object to being discriminated against.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

But, when you force them to do something they don't want to do. You explode the problem and make them set harder in their ways, entrench so to speak. Which is as stupid as it is futile. I thought this was supposed to be a free country anyway.

Don't get me wrong. I don't condone what they did either. But it IS their right.

But - - doesn't that work in reverse also.

The more you are discriminated against - - even for something so ridiculous - - the more entrenched you become to fight for equality and acceptance.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Do they have the right to refuse to bake gay cupcakes?

Based on principal or morals or values?

For any reason?

Why or why not?

If I have the right to not serve Christians or Jews, or Muslims, in my bakery, then yes, they should have the right to not serve gays.

If I have the right to not let white people (or black people, or any people I dont like the look of that day) shop in my store, then sure, they should have the right to not bake cupcakes for gays.

If I have the right to not serve Republicans and Democrats, then of course, they should not have to serve gay people.

If I have the right to refuse service to people who perform oral sex on one another, then of course they should not have to serve gay people in their bakery.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

If I have the right to not serve Christians or Jews, or Muslims, in my bakery, then yes, they should have the right to not serve gays.

If I have the right to not let white people (or black people, or any people I dont like the look of that day) shop in my store, then sure, they should have the right to not bake cupcakes for gays.

Doesn't anyone read?

You can not directly discriminate. You can not directly refuse to sell to a Christian because they are Christian.

You can refuse to do an order that would promote Christianity.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

But her husband, David Stockton, said he had a different reason for refusing to take the order.

"I explained we're a family-run business, we have two young, impressionable daughters and we thought maybe it was best not to do that," he said.

Read more: www.news.com.au... #ixzz119g0Afan

It seems like a pretty direct statement to me.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by Annee

But her husband, David Stockton, said he had a different reason for refusing to take the order.

"I explained we're a family-run business, we have two young, impressionable daughters and we thought maybe it was best not to do that," he said.

Read more: www.news.com.au... #ixzz119g0Afan

It seems like a pretty direct statement to me.

If a guy walks in to the store to buy a cookie and the owner refuses to sell him a cookie because he is gay - - - that is discrimination.

But - - he did not walk in to buy a cookie. He was placing an order for an event that promoted Gays. Therefore - - the owner has the right to refuse the order on grounds of religious belief.

Of course that is the simplest form explanation.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join