It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indianapolis Bakery Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Bakry Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

"A US bakery refused a rainbow cupcake order for a national coming out day because the owners "have two young, impressionable daughters' /

OFFICIALS in Indianapolis are turning up the heat on a bakery that refused to take an order from a student group seeking rainbow-colored cupcakes for next month's National Coming Out Day.

A spokesman for Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard said city officials are conducting an inquiry into the bakery, Just Cookies, which declined to take the order last week from a diversity group at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, which ordered the cupcakes for October 11, reported FOXNews.com yesterday.

Read more: www.news.com.au... z110sF1nq6

"

Wow, what bigots. I support private business being able to choose which jobs it feels are compatible to its mission statement.

But according to the article the place is in a public market?

So what was this father doing working for such a corrupt city that would force him to bake gay cupcakes?

Do they have the right to refuse to bake gay cupcakes?

Based on principal or morals or values?

For any reason?

Why or why not?

Please read: Posting work written by others.

edit on September 30th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: added the proper EX tags

+25 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
It is not a public-owned bakery.

That is why the owner's have the right to serve whomever they wish and to refuse to make gay cupcakes or cupcakes promoting any form of immorality.

(Of course, that is not to say that they cannot be forced by statists to bend to the will of the homosexuals and the state. It simply means that their rights have been violated using unconstitutional legislation. Government does not grant rights; you have those because you are human.)

+28 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
They have a right to serve who they wish.
People in that town also have a right to BOYCOTT if they wish.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You beat me to it! I live in Indy and thought this would be a good thread, if only to show what is going on in this prodominately 'red' state. While the 'red' is made up mostly of the cities outside Indy, Indy votes are usually liberal however I am noticing a change in the last few years.

Living here, I was outraged when I heard this story. What is more outrageous is that it just barely made a blip on the news. A lot of busybodies on my FB post and comment on local news, not this one. While a business has a right to refuse a customer, it sure doesn't make it right. It's just.....cupcakes!

I, for one, will be boycotting. They need to change the name from Just Cookies to Just Idiots.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

private, family owned business, doesn't want to do business with a group because of their religious beliefs. i can't think of a situation where someone could have more rights to do something.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
A gay cupcake?

How can a cupcake be gay? A cupcake is a cupcake.

Everybody eats them, gays and hetros alike. Really strange.

vvv

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Exactly how can a cupcake be gay? It's a cupcake with multi-colored frosting. What's the big deal? Seriously, WTF is happening to this country?

+19 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"

This was a common and acepted statement. What happened?

This is a private business, they are allowed to decide who they serve and what they sell.

What we see hear is an oppressive over reaching, interfering government.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by VAPatriot

I'm quite sure that's what business owners in the deep South said in the mid 20th century too.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I agree.. Im a business owner and I can and will refuse any job I
dont want to do..

or I just charge double.. then its a win/win

+24 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is just another in an ever increasing list of ridiculous events driven by small minded idiots. Another indication to of the warped sense of reality displayed by the gay community.

I, like many other people, honestly don't give a hoot about someones sexual preferences. What two consenting adults do in private is their business. What I do abject to though is this whole "Gay Pride" BS. So your gay, good for you, enjoy it... but I really don't care one jot and don't want to see you all parading down the high street in some gaudy rubber clad freak show!

All we hear from whiny little idiots is that they want to be accepted. Well stop acting like whiny little prima-donnas and get on with living your own life, but DO NOT keep trying to force your way of life on other people.
That's another thing I object to, the whole "lifestyle" thing. It's a sexual preference for crying out loud! Can someone please explain to me why being gay means you cannot act like others in society?

Sheesh! The world is going to hell in a handbasket... or handbag, depending on ones sexual preference / lifestyle choice!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Silly Girlfriends, they should have ordered the "Flag of Cusco and Machu Picchu" cupcakes instead! LOL

Afterall, one Rainbow Flag is as good as another!

This is a media piece at best, in today's World anyone that wants to refuse money must not need it, gay money is green just like any other money. Besides, cupcakes, come-on now! There are tons of bakeries that just love turning out cupcakes, so just go to another "dealer". The cupcake dealer! LOL

Stupid Media!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The article keeps mentioning City Market.

www.indycm.com...

"When constructed in 1886, the Indianapolis City Market was under direct control of the City of Indianapolis. A "Market Master" was appointed by the mayor, however, the city still remained involved in formulating budgets and other day-to-day management functions.

This relationship lasted until 1988 when an ordinance was passed that established City Market as a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization. City Market thus became free of political and municipal influence by this new organizational structure.

Under the ordinance, the city would still own the Market building and property, but a 13-member board of directors would oversee normal operations and assume management responsibility on its behalf. Six directors are appointed by the mayor and seven are appointed by the Indianapolis City-County Council."

(above taken from link)

So is it a private business, a non profit, city run, or hybrid?

Does the owner have to follow the Board and its rules?

If so, why are these people working for a city that would chastise them for refusing service to gays?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
A gay cupcake?

How can a cupcake be gay? A cupcake is a cupcake.

Everybody eats them, gays and hetros alike. Really strange.

vvv

Not me anymore.......stupid diet!

A cupcake sounds real good. Even a gay one, if there is such a thing.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It's up to them who they serve or not.

I have no problem with this.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Here's my two view points on this:

First, I am a firm believer in business serving who they wish. Don't like gays? Fine don't sell them "gay" cupcakes. Don't like blacks? Don't sell the black and white cookies etc etc. Right or wrong, as a business owner that is their prerogative.

That leads to my second view point, I find it dumb. I'm not out to change their view on gays, because it's obvious they are way over the edge. It's dumb because, like others have said, it's the same money.

A gay guy gives me the same 5 dollar bill as a straight guy.

If I lived in Indy, I'd boycott and let everyone know about it.

I always find the outrage from these stories silly...you always have two options: continue to patronize the business, or find a new bakery. Let all the bigots go there. They can hang out and have straight cupcakes all day long.

and an off topic note: I agree with the poster who spoke about the "lifestyle" issue. The way it is treated is counter intuitive.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The whole gay thing aside, the name of the store is Just Cookies. They said that they didn't have the materials to make cup cakes and did not make them, anyway. If they do not make or sell them, it's a moot point.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
and in other news...woman in starbucks asked to leave for having no shoes and man at target asked to leave for not having shirt. aclu currently seeking identities of victims for potential lawsuit. next...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Woah..do I feel stupid for responding without reading...shooting from the hip if you would...

The gay issue should not even have come up!

I assumed the name Just Cookies was just a name..but they don't make cupcakes! They don't have the rainbow dye!

How is this even an issue, and more importantly OP, why bring it up as one...it's clearly media hype

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I would like to buy some cookies from them, do you think they ship?

I'm all for gay rights but forcing people to your agenda is not gay rights. That's forcing people to believe what they believe in. Those students wouldn't appreciate if someone attempted to make them make posters supporting Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or what have you. I would personally like to slap these kids and tell them to man up and make their own damn cupcakes. It's not that hard.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join