It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indianapolis Bakery Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist

Originally posted by MasterjadenIt is constitutionally true, and the civil rights act is unconstitutional in its modern interpretation and probably period. You probably will respond that that means I must be a racist. Sorry, but that is patently absurd. To be racist I have to judge a person solely by the color of their skin, racism has been so distorted that it has lost all meaning and intent.... lol. It's ridiculous....

Jaden

It may not be racism but it's still discrimination. It's still an ugly face.

edit on 1-10-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

It's not discriminatory, it's defending the rights of others to be discriminatory.... They have that right, and morons don't even understand that once the right to be a different type of moron and discriminate without just cause (we all discriminate and NEED to) is gone, then all of your rights will follow, and soon your only right will be to do whatever TPTB tell you.... idiots....

Jaden

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist

Originally posted by Masterjaden

Originally posted by Greensage
Silly Girlfriends, they should have ordered the "Flag of Cusco and Machu Picchu" cupcakes instead! LOL

Afterall, one Rainbow Flag is as good as another!

This is a media piece at best, in today's World anyone that wants to refuse money must not need it, gay money is green just like any other money. Besides, cupcakes, come-on now! There are tons of bakeries that just love turning out cupcakes, so just go to another "dealer". The cupcake dealer! LOL

Stupid Media!

Somne people hold to principles above money, it's sad that some people don't understand this concept....

Jaden

But when these principles go against something as inane as declining to paint little rainbows on baked goods due to personal beliefs, it makes me question just what exactly these principles are, and makes me question how reasonable they are.

What exactly are these reasonable principles?

People don't have to have REASONABLE principles.... Reasonable by whose standards? Yours? Mine????

People can have any principles they want and can choose to serve WHOEVER they want.

What are you going to say the same thing as more and more people are saying, that the COTUS is a bit silly and shouldnt be followed in modern society???

Come on. This is patently absurd and WILL not be tolerated. I promise you, that you don't want to let our politicians and people to continue to ignore the COTUS.....

Jaden

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What a stupid Gay / Anti-Gay thread? Don't we already have plenty of those?

I thought the purpose of this thread was the right of the bakery to either bake or not bake a specific type of cupcake? The Gay part is irrelavent. If a bakery has a rainbow cupcake and refuses to sell it to a Gay man, that is "a little" relavent, but still, every business has the right to refuse service to anybody it wants to. I have often made people leave my old retail stores, even calling the police when necessary to remove people. Gay people are not a protected class, so refusing them service is perfectly legal.

Now, if the bakery doesn't even have a rainbow cupcake on the shelf, and someone requests one for a Gay gathering, there is no way in hell that any authority has the right to tell them they have to bake that cupcake!

I don't care if a disabled, black, female, veteran, senior citizen Senator comes in and wants a specific cupcake for a specific sanctioned event, and falls into every protected class there is, the bakery does not have to bake a customized cupcake for that person. They might have to give her service and sell her things on the shelf to comply with ADA and EOE statutes, but they don't have to go in the back and bake her something just to keep from getting sued or fined?!?!

Anybody that doesn't get that concept is either really oblivious or just stupid.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

You summed it up perfectly Britguy.The militant attitude on display in many gay communities is widespread and is even starting to annoy me, and I am the most tolerant laid back guy you will ever find.The fact is anyone who owns a business has the right to refuse to do businesss with whomever they chose.It should not become a national story, especially this one.Can't gay people bake cupcakes themselves? This is absurd. Peace.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Of course I call them bigots that is what they are.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

While I think it's stupid for him to deny orders on such a basis it is his right to do such and it's not something that belongs on the news. Those attempting to force someone to accept something are just as bad as those trying to force someone to reject something.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The owner of the bakery made it a gay issue by stating he did not want to give them the cookies (when told the place did not make cupcakes the group asked for rainbow cookies ) because he hates gays and doesnt want to expose his daughters to their evil ways (paraphrasing).

This is your second reply in this thread so I suppose this is a great thread and debate for you, you certainly ar eparticipating.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Why?

I have gay friends and a gay boss. I like them a lot. On the other hand, I would never let my 2 sons joins some gay group? Or bake cupcakes for some gay event? I also would not give money to a gay charity. I make plenty of inappropriate gay jokes, especially around my gay friends (one has the gayest little foofoo dog you could imagine) I see no reason to celebrate gayness, or give it special treatment, or encourage anyone into the lifestyle, while at the same time I see no reason to exclude or dislike most gay people. (I see plenty of reason to dislike extremely flaming men, or extremely butch women, but there are plenty of extreme straight people I dislike as well, so it isn't the "gay" thing, it is the "extreme" and annoying thing.)

So? Am I a bigot too? I think my boss and his "husband/wife" would disagree.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I don't know why some people think others have to conform to their lifestyle or way of thinking. The shop either doesn't make cupcakes and don't condone homosexuality or they do and don't condone homosexuality.

Either way it is their choice as to who they do and do not conduct buisness with. I'm sure the people who wanted their rainbow cupcakes can find another bakery in the town. All they have to do is accept the fact that the buisness refused to take their order and move on to the next cupcake shop.

The ones actually hurting from this is that bakery as they won't recieve income from that custormer.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

1. I just discovered the thread.
2. It seems pretty irrelavent, except for the part about the city government trying to step in and apply "heat" to the business. I would love for a government to try something stupid like that with me!

Now this makes 4 posts. I still could care less about the "gay" part of this issue, but I am glad to have garnered your attention for not being all giddy and hyped up about a silly issue irrelavent even to most gays. I don't know a single person of any "minority" or class that would involve city officials over cupcakes/cookies in some little mom and pop establishment? Why not just buy them somewhere else?

I do see the fun in sticking my offensive self into places it doesn't belong. I often dress or act certain ways in certain places that gets people doing a double take. I have been kicked out and banned from bars before. I didn't whine about it or claim they didn't like my doorag or my jacket or my that I was discriminated against. I took my lumps, had some laughs and moved on.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The Christian Bastions of Righteousness, the Indiana American Family Association, is riding to the rescue of the Bakery's virtue, and defending the ownder's honor!! Whew!

This Christian Hates teh gay cupcakes too

From the article:

"The Indiana chapter of the American Family Association (AFA) says selling gay cupcakes goes “beyond the pale.”

In weighing in on the controversy over a baker's refusal to sell gay cupcakes to a group of Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis students for an October 11 National Coming Out Day event, the group's spokesman, Micah Clark, defended the baker.

The students were first told the bakery, Just Cookies located inside the publicly-owned City Market, does not sell cupcakes, but when the students asked for rainbow-frosted cookies, they were told to go elsewhere.

#########

“I explained we're a family-run business, we have two young, impressionable daughters and we thought maybe it was best not do that,” David Stockton, co-owner of the bakery, told a reporter.

Stockton then likened colorful cupcakes to something obscene.

“We have our values, and you know, some things … for instance, if someone wants a cookie with an obscenity, well, we're not going to sell that,” he said.

###########

Citing a city ordinance that bans discrimination based on sexual orientation, Wayne Schmidt, president of the City Market Board, told the Indianapolis Star that the bakery could lose its lease.

“That could be grounds for taking away their stand in the market,” he said. “I'd hate to lose them, but we can't tolerate any kind of discrimination like that.”

I highlighted the part that is going to loose them their lease with the city market.

I do support a business owners right to run his business his own way. But also, if the business owner CHOOSES to sign a lease with the city that says you gotta sell GAY CUPCAKES then, you sell gay cupcakes or set up shop elsewhere.

I do not see one single defensible action that the owners did, in their situation. They CHOSE to enter the lease and follow the rules, so what are they complaining about? This time the owners are in the worng, and they are bigots by admission, and should just get over it and accept they broke their agreement with the city market, and move on.

Also for those saying this is not a good thread, one why are you here then? And two, it brings up a lot of issues to discuss that are interesting from a lot of angles, so if this thread sucks so bad, again why are you here?

Thanks for all who have participated.

Can anyone understand why the Indiana AFA had jump on this?

Nevermind, free publicity I am sure.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
come to my cupcake store and I will will build you any kind of cupcake your little heart desires

devils food
angel cake
StPaddy's day
Christmas
Quanza
Valentines Day
Presidents Day
Martin Luther King Day
F.O.P.
Masons
Illuminati
Skull and Bones
Easter
Halloween
Islamic
Roascrucian
Army
Navy
AirForce
Marine Corps
wedding
Funeral
Birthday
oh and Gay rainbow flaming Queer!!! (if you eat you one become gay) don't tell anyone

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

While I think it's stupid for him to deny orders on such a basis it is his right to do such and it's not something that belongs on the news. Those attempting to force someone to accept something are just as bad as those trying to force someone to reject something.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

The bakery owner was not forced to sign the lease with city market that prohibits discrimination was he?

I think it is news and so do a lot of other people apparently.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

The owner signed a lease with the city maybe that is why the city is giving him heat.

I must have missed the giddy stuff you speak of??

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Why so defensive over your right to make those choices?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I do support a business owners right to run his business his own way. But also, if the business owner CHOOSES to sign a lease with the city that says you gotta sell GAY CUPCAKES then, you sell gay cupcakes or set up shop elsewhere.

Glad to hear that!

I am here for that specific part of the thread, like I said before. Maybe others are here for the gay part?

Anyhow, I have to say that if an ordinance exists that says they cannot discriminate on grounds of sexuality, then they probably should lose the lease, and they probably should set up shop in a more conservative part of the town. They were stupid to put a conservative cookie shop in a liberal part of town.

Now, I have to still question the ordinance? How can one protect sexuality? I am a big stomach and hips man!! I could care less for breasts, I love the naval to the thigh. What sexuality am I? Can I get naval cupcakes? Can I sue if they won't put belly buttons on my cupcakes? Does the city have specific bans on beastiality? If not, then can I get donkey cakes?

Sexuality is not a defined class, so I would challenge the ordiance and force them to define it in court. That would create so many legal repercussions that the city would have to fold. Sexuality should not, and can not be defined. It is entirely unique to every individual. No two people are turned on by the exact same thing. It isn't so simple as straight and gay. What about transvestites? What about abstinence? How do you define the sexual preference of a nun? Bad law being challenged for a bad reason, but maybe a good outcome? Who knows?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I have been kicked out and banned from bars before. I didn't whine about it or claim they didn't like my doorag or my jacket or my that I was discriminated against. I took my lumps, had some laughs and moved on.

I'm with you on that.

I have been kicked out and banned from several establishments because of band t shirt.

media.musictoday.com...

They thought I was part of a motorcycle gang. I just shrug my shoulders and go down to the next one. Maybe I should start suing them. I could become a millionare the easy way.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Why so defensive over your right to make those choices?

Maybe I was a little defensive, but the rights of individuals are being trampled on like never before. This political correctness train is wrecking the nation. I have no problem with gay rights, but we can't trample on everyone else's rights in order to get there. They have every right to be gay, and they can surely find plenty of people like Mrs. Blonde up there that would love to have their business. Why should we force someone that is uncomfortable with the issue to comply with their demands?

I guess I get aggressively defensive (oxymoron?) when I see an individuals rights being squished in favor of another individual's rights? Especially when one of the parties happens to be the political correct flavor of the week.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The board in charge of the public market is running a business. They also have the right to deny service. Can't the bakery owners simply take their business elsewhere? Surely, there are plenty of places to rent space from people who agree with their lifestyle.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
when i still had my store in n.m.. i had a gay man work for me.
there was another gay man that would constantly hit on my friend. he'd come in and not leave, hang out, be rudish in his flirting. bother customers etc...
it got to the point that i just 86'd him. get out and don't come back.
the next day i heard the rumor that i was anti-gay and a bigot.
it made me and my gay employee friend laugh at first until i started receiving letters in the mail about people boycotting my store due to my being a bigot.
my friend, and his group of fellow gay friends came to my defense.
it took over a month for things to get back to normal, i lost quite a bit of money.
for a while i was very careful of what i said to whom.
funny thing is, once the rumors started, one of the only groups that came to my defense was a baptist congregation from a local church.
i had a right to refuse service to gays.
when they realized that i had a gay employee and customers it got even worse.
then it went form my right to their right to protest the gays.
it was a mess.

Oh Noes!!!
Gays are so bad!!!

25% of American women have been sexually molested in some way by heterosexual males.
I guess folk should deny service to heterosexuals too.

Bringing up unprovable stories just shows your prejudice.
No group is perfect.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join