It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Wanna Fight? ATS Debate Tournament (Tournament Update)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I believe the secondary tournament is being set up purely in response to the number of new debaters looking to participate. Nobody is going to be turned away who wants to participate. But expanding a tournament beyond 16 has proven to be a catastrophic mistake.

So rather than turn people away, we can run a "junior"/"rookie" tournament for people to participate and get their feet wet.

If the two winners would like to set up a match afterwards, I think it would be very interesting.

But the two tournaments are going to run separately.

The "junior"/"rookie" tournament will be delayed some until the numbers in the first tournament are reduced so we can manage to have the bodies to help. If we were to have 32 debates running at once, we'd never get anywhere.

And while I'm sure some may read this and completely disagree with some of the decisions, at least understand that the staff that are involved and are assisting in these decisions, it is based on a few years experience in running these tournaments. We're just running with what has proven to work in the past and trying to avoid what we've known has failed.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
You can bump me up to the senior tournament if you need someone to fill it.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I believe the secondary tournament is being set up purely in response to the number of new debaters looking to participate. Nobody is going to be turned away who wants to participate. But expanding a tournament beyond 16 has proven to be a catastrophic mistake.

So rather than turn people away, we can run a "junior"/"rookie" tournament for people to participate and get their feet wet.

I have been reading the posts. Personally I have no problems with there being a seperate tournament for us "junior"/"rookie" first timers. We still get the opportunity to engage and polish our diametrically charged debating strategies. I appreciate the opportunity to do so, regardless of the respected opponents percieved capabilities and posting styles.

If the two winners would like to set up a match afterwards, I think it would be very interesting.

But the two tournaments are going to run separately.

I think this sounds fair for the tournament coordinators and the judges, creating an atmosphere where the burdens of their responsibilities do not become too much, and allows time for more accurate judging. I agree with the projected format and do not believe the intent is to perpetuate a prolixly styled tournament.

The "junior"/"rookie" tournament will be delayed some until the numbers in the first tournament are reduced so we can manage to have the bodies to help. If we were to have 32 debates running at once, we'd never get anywhere.

Thanks for the explanations Chissler,
ET

edit on 26-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: change a thing

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
You can bump me up to the senior tournament if you need someone to fill it.

You are so cute and adorable.

I'm sure your humble tactfullness and modesty has been noted.

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
The giant promises to take it easy on you little folks. NOT!

edit on 26-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add quote

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
My suggestion to the organizers, if they want to round out the Senior Tournament to 16 participants, would be to do so based on WATS scores (just a thought).

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Sounds good.

Personally I like the idea of the two brackets. Those who haven't done it here before can get a good handle on it before it's their turn, see how the different opponents do their thing and build a strategy.

I'm ready Freddy.

Peace
KJ

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm in for definite on this - however, I'm away on business for a couple of days and may miss the U2U. If that's the case, don't knock me off the list as I can CONFIRM that I am participating.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

I am just a lovable giant.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff548375ea5c.jpg[/atsimg]

Thomas Covenant and I on walk about.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Kind of..

We are looking at all things..

Posting skills, Staff actions, WATS and contributions of course..

Great Suggestion

Semper

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Also..

Anyone that does not want to participate, but wants to be a Judge, send me a U2U and you will be considered..

**It is NOT automatic as Judges are selected for several reasons**

Also, if you do want to be a judge, the fastest way to kill that is by posting it in this or any other public forum..

Judges MUST remain anonymous

Semper

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by americandingbat

Kind of..

We are looking at all things..

Posting skills, Staff actions, WATS and contributions of course..

If it ends up being a variable in an equasion please note that none of my flags actually register on my profile page or flag contribution level.

other than that I don't start caring about rank until my first debate.

I think I like the seperate tournaments, and am looking forward towards participation none the less.

Thanks for helping put this together and coordinate it Semper,
ET

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Did I miss the PM?

I hope I didn't miss the PM

Just want to let you all know I am still in!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Sorry guys..

Some if not most of you know what I do for a living and I was just sent 4 hours from home on a case...

I'll get the U2Us out as soon as I get back home tomorrow if all does not fall to crap here..

Bear with me all, It was supposed to slow down at the end of Summer.. Sadly that has not happened yet..

Semper

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

You know I wont forget you my friend..

Semper

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
U2Us have gone out..

You have 48 hours to respond..

After that, other Members will be contacted..

The way this works is we will have two Tournaments of 16 Members each. If, and it is a BIG if, everyone responds positively, the first to respond will be the first to get included and anyone left will be an alternate..

In the past we have always been able to include the alternates and I see no reason this will be any different so do not get discouraged if you are not immediately included.

If you wish to be included and for some reason I missed you, send me a U2U with your intention and the link tot he page where you "signed up" and I will correct my mistake.

Thank you

Semper

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Do we have a structure yet?

I want to know who I got in round one

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

No..

That is being worked on but can not be completed until we have 16 confirmed fighters...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

OzWeatherman,

I feel it is only fair to inform you that I have reconsidered my previous decision and joined the tournament.

Although I realize that my action will crush any hope you may have had in winning this competition, your contribution will be highly appreciated.

Remember, there's no such thing as a looser.... There's me and 15 people slightly less perfect.....

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

It would appear obvious that operation mindcrime is engaging in a pre-emptive psyop attack.

But .... will it be effective, me wonders

I think these debates are going to be enjoyable

They haven't even "officially" started yet, and I'm already having fun.

-ET

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
Remember, there's no such thing as a looser.... There's me and 15 people slightly less perfect.....

Peace

May I remind you, that when you are going to call yourself perfect, and claim you will beat everyone, you may want to spell check your posts first

The correct spelling is loser

Good luck mate

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join