It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns or No Guns?? Your views.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, I think there may be a problem with your country, bud.

Across the water, here in the former colonies, they try to teach us in elementary school that fighting is a bad thing. We even have laws against assault, battery, even terroristic threats.

You think fighting is a good thing?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

/s

^do you know what that means?

You based your whole argument on my sarcasm?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I just have to ask because it keeps coming up:

Really? Adults are walking around and getting into fist fights with such frequency as to warrant it classified as a way of life? It sounds as though the UK is giant trailer park full of hicks. Unless mentally ill what grown men behave this way? Who goes around getting into fist fights as though it were a "thing to do"?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Lol.
My avatar is just a fond memory from a far too long ago childhood.
A comic character.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't read too much into it.

A big ego?

I don't think so, hopefully not, never been accused of having one before.

As for carrying a gun, could I?
Pyhsically and mentally, yes.
Do I want to?
No!
So there is no conflict there, (at least not on this one policy), between me and the law makers of my country.

As for me stating 'I am more of a man than you ever will be'.
Maybe that is because I interpreted your statement about me being able to handle a gun as your measurement of a man, if I was wrong in my interpretation I apologise.

You seem to struggle with the concept that someone can independantly think for themselves and come up with an opinion that differs from yours.
Each to their own my friend, as long as it is considered, where is the problem.

I am not so narrow minded that I blindly oppose everything that the scum that run my country say or do.

I don't want this to become a USA - UK bitch fest, (thought it might be too late), I fully understand and suppot America's Right To Bear Arms, I just think it's not right for my country.

'Vicariously living'.
I think not.
I have lived a full and wonderous life.
Been places, seen things, done things and experienced things the vast majority of people never will do.
Some of the things I am not proud of.
But they are what they are and are the things that have helped shape me into the person I am today.
I am also a product of my environment.
Some things we can not change.

And knowing this is another thing that convinces me that The Right To Bear Arms as per the USA would not benefit British society.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang
if you cant defend it then its not really yours now is it? whats it going to be like if the power grid goes down for a week or two? or have any sort of riot..storm...shortage..
and the looting / lawlessness comes to you -and your defenseless loved ones? if crazy killer guy rolled up my drive he'd be shot dead end of story. i live in phx az. -we have home invasions and every other sort of senseless mayhem under the sun...you bet
old grampa keeps a shotgun handy. might have a pistol tucked away as well...only a fool puts his personal safety in the hands of strangers. and every fool is a potential victim.

This is the crux of the whole argument. You, personally, have the need to own a gun to protect yourself. A baseball bat in the UK will do the job for us.

The UK and the US are very similar in cultures, but this is the one that we're poles apart. Our cultures on this issue are just too different.
The thing is, the US has grown up with guns, most of the population are probably very comfortable and responsible with them. They will have a very mature attitude to them.

On the other hand, if you transferred US gun laws to the UK, then in the city of Glasgow you would go from having a city of about 700,000 fall to about 16 after the first Saturday night ( at least house prices would fall).

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Back to my original point...

People having guns would deter all that brawling you enjoy.

Man, you guys are a violent bunch.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Sounds as if there is no argument here.
No, I was under the impression that handguns were illegal to have in the UK now. Sorry about any pistol confusion.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Essan

Had to have countries like the U.S. to arm your population.

Hate to go down this road, again, it's for another thread, but.....

The only reason the US helped arm us was to make a profit, end of!

And I would just like to point out that I am far from being anti-US in my outlook, quite the opposite....but the truth is the truth.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Yeah, I think there may be a problem with your country, bud.

Across the water, here in the former colonies, they try to teach us in elementary school that fighting is a bad thing. We even have laws against assault, battery, even terroristic threats.

You think fighting is a good thing?

WOW really.... you have laws against fighting?
Um....yeah we do too, we have all the same laws "Bud".

Where did I say fighting was a good thing?

Fighting is *Better* than shooting each other with guns?
Do you see.....

I'm sure in most towns and cities and after many, many drinks... people fight over there too... fighting is not exclusive to the UK ya know?

I personally haven't been in a fight for quite a few years now... it's a young man's game

However, it's much better to beat seven shades of sh** out of someone than to pull a gun and shoot someone before it even kicks off and if you can't see that, then it's your country that has the issues.... Bud....

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil

Back to my original point...

People having guns would deter all that brawling you enjoy.

Man, you guys are a violent bunch.

No it wouldn't, it would cause people to be killed instead of beaten up.

And where have I said that people enjoy it?

People would rather settle their differences like men, and have a fist-fight... ya know, a punch-up.... rather than pull own their penis extension.

Guns would not deter fighting between groups of lads (young lads) at weekends, it would cause more injuries and deaths.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Really? Adults are walking around and getting into fist fights with such frequency as to warrant it classified as a way of life? It sounds as though the UK is giant trailer park full of hicks. Unless mentally ill what grown men behave this way? Who goes around getting into fist fights as though it were a "thing to do"?

People fight when they're drunk.... It happens in your country, happens in mine.

Nobody said it was a way of life... nobody said how frequently people fight and that it was "The thing to do".

What has been said is that instead of shooting each other and hiding behind a gun, we deal with our problems like men.

Is that any clearer?

In my country... a coward carries a gun or a knife.... or a kid who thinks he's some big man....

Not saying it's the same over there, clearly not when grannie has a gun too.

That's why, as many have said, you can't compare the two.

that's why this thread is here... so we can measure our penises though, right?

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FearNoEvil

Unfotunately yes, there are significantly large portions of our nation and society where violence is almost an everyday occurrence.
And if some of these people had guns readily available they would use them.

We are a fighting people, it is part of our make up....and when that fighting spirit can not be channelled against a common foe it get's channelled against each other.

A very sad but true assessment of the UK today.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is flat out how I see it...

I have the right to protect myself and my family by any means necessary regardless of what any government or constitution says or doesn't say and I will always do so regardless of any so called "law."

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeeingBlue
This is flat out how I see it...

I have the right to protect myself and my family by any means necessary regardless of what any government or constitution says or doesn't say and I will always do so regardless of any so called "law."

Totally agree.... and I guarantee you that everyone in England feels the same.
We would all kill to protect our friends and family if the situation called for it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I say; Guns. I like owning my guns. It leaves me with more opportunities to protect myself in my home. Outside of it not as much, since I don't own a handgun and I don't have a concealed carry license.

And I think that's something everyone should be able to have.

Even owning guns, If I wanted to kill a lot of people, I would not use a gun.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Miraj]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

We are happy to have a scrap and get on with it..... a fight is just that, a fight

People get drink, they get rowdy, they fight.... that's life in the majority of civilised countries

So... whatever man.

Enjoy the guns
Happy to have a scrap.

You are obviously taking the 'bud' thing in the wrong way.

I was using it as a shortened version of the word 'buddy'. In America, we call our friends buddy, 'bud' for short.

As a fellow ATS member, I consider you my friend.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

"Guns would not deter fighting between groups of lads (young lads) at weekends, it would cause more injuries and deaths. "

I think the lack of guns is what causes all the brawling. When someone attacks you, you pull a gun on them and perform a citizen arrest. You don't shoot them. You call the police and have them arrested - as they should be.

You see? Less people injured^ - less people in jail. Peace restored.

You assume everyone carrying a gun WANTS to shoot someone. That comes from ignorance. Most normal people have a high regard for life and would only shoot to wound - and only at last resort.

We can agree to disagree.

Peace out

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I have a post on the previous page regarding this other common theme of "penis measurement."

There is a class of people over here who do indeed react with fighting and violence and indulge into intoxication. Generally it's the lower rung of ghetto dwellers, barely literate typically born of substance abusing and/or felon parents.

For the other 90+% of the population with the ability to reason and think there are no conflicts. Certainly no conflict which would warrant or justify a physical confrontation. After all, a physical confrontation doesnt solve or resolve any conflict.

Your premise that people would resort to arms to cause death on something as simple as a disagreement may be true among the mental deviants and those lacking the faculties toward a greater comprehension but it is by no means a blanket statement regarding all use or even the majority of use of firearms.

Intoxication is ridiculous. Conflict even more so. That is unless you are of a lower class of human.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

don't believe the hype

Across most of the country violent conflicts are as common as tornadoes (and yeah, we typically get 30-40 tornadoes here a year). They're not exactly a way of life and I haven't seen a serious fight since the late 1970s.

However, in big city centres there are drunken fights. And in some big cities there is a gang culture that results in more serious conflicts. Just like the USA.

In rural areas a big fight is as common as a madman going in a gun rampage. It happens somehwere or other every few years.

That's life.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Gun don't kill people
I kill people.

(Joke for those who know what I'm talking about)

That aside, I believe everyone should have an equal playing field. Either everyone should have guns, or no-one. - Try taking the guns from every military on Earth... Isn't going to happen.

So therefore, everyone should have guns.

Any amount of gun control is terrible.

Making law abiding citizens have no guns allows criminals to have more power.
Criminals include the military.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join