It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns or No Guns?? Your views.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

A question for you?
Do the U.K. citizens really feel safer with a gun ban,
or are they duped into thinking they are safer?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Essan

Guns are like potato chips,you just can't have one!
Since I don't have a male reproductive organ,are you
suggesting that I have a small brain,hummm?

Do you live in England?
I'm talking about this country which is very different. We've never had a culture of owning guns for defence (although the upper classes did tend to own pistols back in the 18th century).
Sounds to me like your 'happy to be gun-banning society' just had another 'gun massacre', no?

Your cops are armed, right? I guess they got there a little too late for the people that got wasted by the BAD GUY. If only there had been an armed GOOD GUY there to actually save someone, instead of saying, " If I had only had a gun with me....."

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDarkTurnip

I'm not for restrictions or banning guns so not sure what your point is there?

If people want a gun and go hunting or shooting at ranges and so on, then great... Clay Pigeon/skeet shooting, cool.

But if people were allowed to walk around town and go to work and to a restaurant carrying guns/packing heat, then believe me, this country would have far more firearms homicides and crime than we do now.

Guns are there if people want to use them responsibly, guns are NOT illegal or banned in the UK, why don't people understand that?

It's just that 99% of people don't want them.... those who go shooting and to ranges and so on.... and farmers... fine, they want and perhaps need them.
But there is no reason for the average Joe to have them.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

That's how we deal with our "Threats" and fights over here.... not shooting someone in an argument, or grabbing the gun because someone beats you up.

The point is... in this country, the UK, you have more chance of winning the lottery than you do of being shot and killed.

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

I agree with you to a certain point. I conceal carry my firearm with me pretty much everywhere I go and it's only come out of the holster once. I have been in a couple of fights, with the gun on my, and never pulled it. I handle force with equal force....not excessive.

Just because I am armed does not mean that is my first recourse to violence enacted against me. Am I in the minority? Not at all. It's the criminals and mentally unstable that solve their minor problems with guns, not people who take very seriously the responsibility of gun ownership.

I carry to protect my life and the lives of my family, not so I can "whip it out" everytime I get into a scrape or have some road rage. That's what you hear about in the MSM because it makes for a good story. You don't hear about those of us that simply protect our families with a gun because it doesn't make for good ratings.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by KILL_DOGG

Apples and pears again.

I don't think anyone is advocating revoking the gun laws in the USA.

The Right To Bear Arms is part of the American physche.
It is part of what you are.
If I lived in the USA then I would want to legally carry a gun.
But I don't.

We don't want to carry arms in the UK.
It will only result in the increase in their usage.
Some people may say they want to be able to carry a gun, but they are well and truly in the minority here in the UK.

Horses for courses and all that.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

A question for you?

There is no duping...
when will you guys get it through your heads and stop believing all the MSM bollocks about the UK.

We are not nannied on a daily basis, we are not sheep.... we are not uninformed or duped...

We just don't like guns.... not because we are told to not like them, but because we don't like them.
We weren't a country founded on guns and gun ownership.... we didn't all love cowboys and all want to shoot the baddie.... we don't all think it's Un-British to not want a gun...

Our nations are clearly fundamentally different.

You think carrying guns solves problems, we think carrying guns creates them...

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Reply to post by blupblup

The Olympic shooting team just wantsto use a gun at a range. So why do they have to train outsodeof the country if it's not illegal or banned as you say? Is the info I read wrong? They don't go to other countries to train because of legality?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Dunno about safer. But we didn't feel more safe before the (hand)gun ban. Mainly because none of us had guns and the only people really affected by the ban were members of shooting clubs.

This is the point: we have never had a culture of owning guns for protection - only for sport or work.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KILL_DOGG
I carry to protect my life and the lives of my family, not so I can "whip it out" everytime I get into a scrape or have some road rage. That's what you hear about in the MSM because it makes for a good story. You don't hear about those of us that simply protect our families with a gun because it doesn't make for good ratings.

Just my 2 cents.

Now you may not and that's fine.... but many do.... many see it as either an extension to their penis or as an easy way to "handle" their problems.

I would rather everyone not want or believe they need to carry a firearm, than have everyone thinking it's the norm and it's necessary.

We just differ that's all.... I see your point and in America I would have a gun without a doubt, no hesitation.

Our country's are very different though.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Auntie Matter

Can you guanrantee me nobody will have a gun?They still show up in the hands of criminals in countries with absolute bans.

Can you gurantee me nobody will fashion a gun from metal and combustable material?

When you can absolutely guarantee that and in the case some individual does happen to have a firearm and does use it to kill me your guarantee brings me back to life I might consider the possability of not having one "just in case".

Until you can make that gurantee the notion of "rather nobody has one" is moot because despite your wishes somebody will have one.

It is a ridiculous suggestion you put forth. You know I can’t guarantee you that if you live in US, it’s nearly too far gone where gun mentality is concerned.

Your comments show your stance has clearly been skewed by your submergence in a culture that absolves itself of the dangers of people owning guns by the resting on the premise that others will always get their opportunistic hands on a gun and “come after me, or my property, or my loved ones…” ‘Just in case’, is not a strong enough argument, imo.

I view your comments as fear-filled, not prudent and ‘better safe than sorry.’ My stance is that I have hope for a world where the thought of even needing a gun is an absurd and archaic notion, and I stand behind this by choosing not to own one, even though I could if I wanted to. I understand that given my current surroundings in this thread, my opinion is in the minority.

Good Luck to you, sir. I sincerely hope you never find yourself in a situation where you feel you need to open fire for any reason.

link   

The Olympic shooting team just wantsto use a gun at a range. So why do they have to train outsodeof the country if it's not illegal or banned as you say? Is the info I read wrong? They don't go to other countries to train because of legality?

What???

There is a rifle range in my town?
My dad used to be a member and I could go and register tomorrow and buy a gun, no problem.

Not sure what you're talking about mate...?

link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Your cops are armed, right?

Not in the Cumbrian countryside! Why would they be?

Though plenty of locals do have guns.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Hell, we aren't perfect, far from it.
Of course that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I wouldn't dare begin to defend that!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

A question for you?

There is no duping...

Well will guys get it through your heads and stop believing all the MSM bollocks about the UK.

We are not nannied on a daily basis, we are not sheep.... we are not uninformed or duped...

We just don't like guns.... not because we are told to not like them, but because we don't like them.
We weren't a country founded on guns and gun ownership.... we didn't all love cowboys and all want to shoot the baddie.... we don't all think it's Un-British to not want a gun...

Our nations are clearly fundamentally different.

You think carrying guns solves problems, we think carrying guns creates them...
After reading your post, it sounds like you are duped.

you don't seem to know it, so good luck with that!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn and blupblup

I will admit that I know nothing about the cultural and sociological differences between the UK and the US. Not trying to flame your culture, just wanted to get my thoughts out there. I guess being an American, I can't fathom a society that doesn't want guns. It's pretty alien to me. But, America is not the center of the universe so I guess I'm being pretty narrow minded there.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by KILL_DOGG]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

It's the pistol shooting teams that are affected by this (ridiculous IMO) legislation that forbids legitimate ownership of pistols for sport.

Rifle shooting teams aren't affected, any more than clay pigeon shooters, stalkers or grouse shooters are - all of whom own and use guns in Britain.

As an aside, gun ownership is quite high in the Highlands and AFAIK there's still a gun shop in Fort William high street.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Guns aren't the main problem, the main problem is handguns. Handguns were made for one thing, hunting isn't one. There is no need for anyone to carry handguns unless your in the police force. I say hunting rifles are okay because they are much harder to conceal.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by butcherguy
Your cops are armed, right?

Not in the Cumbrian countryside! Why would they be?

Though plenty of locals do have guns.
Even better!

That would be fun to watch your unarmed cops take down the illegal gun-toting baddie!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by KILL_DOGG
I guess being an American, I can't fathom a society that doesn't want guns. It's pretty alien to me. But, America is not the focal point of the earth so I guess I'm being pretty narrow minded there.

Not narrow minded at all
You accept we have different cultures.

There are some cultures where eating dogs or whales is deemed quite acceptable. We find it revoting. But we must accept that peoples are different and not try and impose our values on others - lest they impose their values on us.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Auntie Matter

So if I live in the UK you will absolutely make that guarantee?

So that guy yesterday didnt have a gun at all?

Those shootouts going on in Jamaica right now arent really happening because it is just a tiny with a gun ban, right?

I guess what I really want to know is how will you make all the guns in the world go away without magic fairy dust or a genie to grant the wish and further how will you ensure no individual ever puts the physics together to launch a projectile?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join