It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego vs Self

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: HeirHeart

Since you've given me some unasked-for advice, O Wise One, allow me to return the compliment. No-one on ATS is impressed by people who act the all-knowing savant and refuse to explain themselves, as though we were all too stupid to understand their pearls of esoteric wisdom. On the contrary, many of us recognise this as the modus oprrandi of bloviators, phoneys, con artists and arrogant greenhorns.

If you have something substantive to contribute to the discussion, let's hear it. Convince us that you're something better than a buzzing little mosquito-troll.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeirHeart
a reply to: quintessentone

You must be young, because “you do you” just tells everyone you haven’t gained the ability to think for yourself yet, so you glam onto whatever was cool for a day thinking it makes you look cool. It might, if you weren’t the millionth person to use it after everyone else already beat it to death

You do you in the context of being true to yourself. You don't worry about pleasing other people; living by someone else's standards or rules. You don't care what people think of you. You live as your natural self.

No one can tell you how to be true to yourself except you. And that comes with experiences, self-reflection, courage and maturity. Sure you can adopt or discard some others' philosophies along the way, but that's not what is meant by you do you. All through one's life experiences, you do you, simply means in all things be true to your core self. This is some of what Jim Carrey was alluding to in the video I posted because he lost himself in Hollywood and he was not doing Jim he was sleep walking as somebody else.

I rather think you must be young or need to self-analyze to not know this truth. So, there is a reason multitudes of people realize it and repeat it because it is cool to face who you truly are, then forgive yourself, love yourself and heal yourself the get on with facing life in an awake state.

Anyway what's wrong with others thinking you are cool if you have reached a milestone in your life by attaining the 'I am doing me' stage as long as that ego, that always remains, is under control?

And I always speak for myself regarding my beliefs (science, religion, philosophy, etc.). My point was that some people feel they need to tell others how to life their life, while others seek guidance from others in how to live their life. Choices.
edit on q00000035930America/Chicago2020America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Since you've given me some unasked-for advice, O Wise One, allow me to return the compliment. No-one on ATS is impressed by people who act the all-knowing savant and refuse to explain themselves, as though we were all too stupid to understand their pearls of esoteric wisdom. On the contrary, many of us recognise this as the modus oprrandi of bloviators, phoneys, con artists and arrogant greenhorns.

If you have something substantive to contribute to the discussion, let's hear it. Convince us that you're something better than a buzzing little mosquito-troll.

I agree, throughout this thread this member has only given us their definition of what they think the self and ego are, fine, but then went on to criticize rather than discuss.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Internet! Haaaaaa! Boy, are you misguided.

Im older than your parents...and still helping save lives. Not that you'd understand because of your mention of internet (hysterical you'd say this). Come back once you figure it out.

Oh, and by the way....its been argued (your topic) that there is no "self". That man spends his life trying to improve "self". A folly ultimately.

EMT/Paramedic
Adv Life Support
DHS/FEMA
Region 2 South,
Wayne County, Mi

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

You could just be honest and say you decided to take offense because you decided to take offense. No need for all the false assumptions, accusations, and innuendos.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You’re kind of like an unpaid job in a toxic environment aren’t you?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Aren’t you doing the same?

The question is, why does my definition upset you so much that you have to stoop to that to that kind of toxic BS?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:48 AM
link   

What I have noticed is that it comes across as very condescending and stand-off-ish how you talk.

It is extremely difficult for everybody reading this

You could just be honest and say you decided to take offense because you decided to take offense. No need for all the false assumptions, accusations, and innuendos.

to not feel like you are the one making assumptions and accusations.
That's a communication style issue on your end. You ..., you ..., you... know what I mean?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

So you don’t like how I talk?

It’s only an issue for you then, and a few other folks who think they know everything and get offended by anything that suggests they might not. When those people get offended, it’s not because I’m intent on offending them, but because they’re intent on being offended.

BTW, When did “everybody” appoint you as their representative? Kind of sounds like a self appointed position based on your own self deluded importance. Pot calling the kettle black… Seems to be a theme on this site.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   

everybody in this thread is telling you that in variations... lol wow
you are delusional and convinced of you being the only one who really has any right to talk, aren't you?

It is super funny. The Dunning-Kruger-Effect in full swing

fyi: I don't need to be appointed to talk for everybody I could have just as well said 'one' or 'people' it was a purely rethorical decision I made.
But as in this case: if everybody tells you you are a clueless big mouth wanna be, you should at least entertain the possibility that is how you come across.

edit on 2-9-2023 by Peeple because: add

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Aren’t you doing the same?

The question is, why does my definition upset you so much that you have to stoop to that to that kind of toxic BS?

Calling someone out for their toxic behaviour and attacking others is not the same as insulting and criticizing everybody in this thread. I am not the only one who is calling you out on this.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:53 AM
link   

criticizing everybody in this thread

Now I'm feeling left out.
That hurts my popular definition of EGO.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: pthena

There you go:

a reply to: pthena

You might want to put the internet away and look inside you.

edit on 2-9-2023 by Peeple because: fixing things

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

You almost had me fooled there.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

If you consider dead kids, blood, urine, brain fluids, feces, vomit...Toxic? Excuse me?

An Officer, I hv 3 pensions, U of M med Center, FordMoCo, and the Cty of...Emergency Mgmnt., FEMA, Dept of Homeland Sec. And I get SSA. Am also Incident Command, and volunteer 911 Dispatch.

Toxic? Perhaps...still responding...cause someone has to come when someone like yourself screams "help".

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Thank you.

Keep your Self safe out there.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Didn't have a whole tubful of expectations about this thread but I had no inkling it would develop in this particular way. What next? Closure?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I'm just hoping the OP will appear to tell us:

"You just don't get it!
None of you!"

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Why label the duality that goes, on in the mind, head or heart as; Ego and self?

Never mind the calling of those two; Mind, head and heart as; They are the same.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

The true Self is not the same as the false self (ego)......the false self is an idea, a mental construction, an image .....it's not what you truly are.

edit on 2-9-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join