It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ego vs Self

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ego: I will never die!

Self: I will never die!

Ego: You will die!

Self: I don't want to die!

Ego: I will never die!

Self: if you die, I die!

Ego: if you die, I die!

Self: No, if I live and you die, you die and I live...

Ego: But, I do not want to die!

Self: You will die.

Ego: Help!

Self: Ok

edit on 30-8-2023 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

All righty then.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Needs some panache

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SigmaXSquared

Needs some panache

Bit more...

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SigmaXSquared
I was just thinking of the no one-liner rule.
Maybe I should have done two mugs, on separate lines
but that works too.
edit on 30-8-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   

no one cares about that rule unless you start posting links like the cyber savior

...but just in case, 2nd line

edit on 30-8-2023 by SigmaXSquared because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Life should be a lifetime of losings ones "...self"

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 09:38 PM
link   

ego literally means self

Soooo ? what?

It is also I think it's going in the wrong direction, all that those kill your ego people focus on is to empty yourself of desires and what else is associated with that.
I think that is wrong, because it turns you into an empty shell

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It is also I think it's going in the wrong direction

I got that too. Like the Self: and Ego: should be reversed,
but then, the inversion actually causes people to think more, scratch their heads, read it more than once, then laugh.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 02:44 AM
link   

one could have a lot of fun with this.

Like asking where do you want to go with your spirituality?

Is it to find peace, comfort and silence?
Then yes, kill your ego and silence your inner world.

Do you want to be part of something beyond yourself?
Then project your imagination and pretend your fantasy is real.

Do you want to work to find out the truth?
Then prepare for a lot of agony and the joy of never seeing anything ever coming to fruition in your life time.

But I mean it is really difficult to gather any attraction or 'followers' with this simple true-ish assessment. People who call themself spiritual, want instant gratification just like the more worldly folks, or if not that: a 'special' place in case there is sthg or someone out there, like hell or karma or such a thing.
tell them: you will torture yourself, everybody will think you're crazy but you're a grain of sand building a cathedral that might lead somewhere in 10 000 years or so and they probably all go: you know what? I think I am going to get a real job instead. Or a pill... or whatever...

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 02:49 AM
link   

ego literally means self

Actually, ego is just the Latin word for ‘I’. Freud appropriated it for that part of the individual mind in which identity is situated, the part that is aware of itself and calls itself ‘me’. He contrasted this with other parts of the mind that are unaware of themselves: the unconscious.

‘Self’ is more difficult. As far as I know, there is no scientific or clinical definition of the term. A dictionary will give you four or five definitions, none of which mean quite the same thing.

In Western interpretations of Indian spiritual ‘philosophies’, ego has come to mean the self-centred character traits or behaviour patterns that stand in the way of enlightenment. ‘The self’, meanwhile, can stand for just about anything, depending on which guru or religious text you’re following.

The average Jane or Joe thinks ‘ego’ means pride or conceit or selfishness and uses ‘myself’ to refer to what Freud would have called their ego.

Perhaps it would be wise to ask the OP just what definitions they apply to ‘ego’ and ‘self’. It’s possible to make sense of what they have posted without knowing this, but it’s unlikely to be the sense they intended.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I think it is hilarious to make any distinction between me as in ego, or my self, which is also me, or my subconscious, which is also me....
I am all of that there is no line where I could say this was my desires and this is my higher self and this is my inner animal or whathaveyou
I have no part in me that I am not aware of. It's logical foot-shooting for people who can't handle the darker parts of their personality.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Ego is the mistaken belief that there is a personal being.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

well I can tell you who I personally think you personally are. Those are not the same thing. And very easy to tell apart.
You: broken record trying to project your self-neglect on everything and everybody.
Me: searching, reaching, failing, getting up again, ... living

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:06 AM
link   

What are you actually searching for?

What is happening is all there is...... but the me believes that there is something to find.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

understanding.
Because I am human and not a rat i am capable of having abstract thoughts. I consider this not just as gift but as order i wouldn't dare to ignore.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Thoughts appear presently.....just like everything does.

There is only what appears to be happening......there is not a you and what's happening.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I think I am going to get a real job instead. Or a pill... or whatever...

I'm thinking maybe I'll retire from ATS discussions and read children's books instead.

The '90s and '00 were very difficult years; many changes, painful adaptations required; but now not so much. Since then, nothings really stressing me besides ATS.

I'm not looking for anything; just staying engaged.
Just today I thought of a cool thread topic with a click bait title. If I put a couple of days work into it it should be pretty good, with references and everything.

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 05:26 AM
link   

The distinctions do seem somewhat artificial, but the idea that we are more than what we are purely conscious of is firmly grounded in the reality of human experience. Dreams, premonitions, intuitions, irrational fears and feelings of joy or confidence, the mysterious creative impulse that seems to come out of nowhere -- these all make clear that the selves we are conscious of are only a part of the selves we truly are. Quite possibly not even the most important part.

The concept of the divided self is older than civilization. It manifests itself in every culture, in one form or another. Shamanism, demonic possession, Socrates's daemon, artistic inspiration personified as the Muses, the little angels and devils perched on the shoulders of a cartoon character caught in a moral bind, the notorious 'little voice inside my head', come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire -- one could multiply examples indefinitely.

I have no part in me that I am not aware of. It's logical foot-shooting for people who can't handle the darker parts of their personality.

One of these days, my friend, you are going to give yourself a terrible, terrifying surprise. May you survive it.

edit on 31/8/23 by Astyanax because:

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 06:10 AM
link   

The concept of the divided self is older than civilization. It manifests itself in every culture, in one form or another. Shamanism, demonic possession, Socrates's daemon, artistic inspiration personified as the Muses, the little angels and devils perched on the shoulders of a cartoon character caught in a moral bind, the notorious 'little voice inside my head', come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire -- one could multiply examples indefinitely.

I think it is more likely that it is a defintion issue because the above is not something I consider a part of me, but I do and did experience that.

I have an ongoing inner dialogue where others think they have a monologue lol
Who is wrong or right is maybe impossible to state with any certainty.

A divided self, as Freud put it with the conscious we get indoctrinated with from our childhood guardians, to the subconscious that does surprising things and the self that is operating every day occurences...
I think that needs a serious modernisation.
With our hormonal/body self that acts on the chemistry in our blood and bowels.
Our awareness that is busy with interpretations of our sensory input.
To our consciousness which is the more abstarct self of the 'one who is telling stories'.
And aside of that the external influences from the pool of consciousness in ... I don't really know, our environment, nature, our ancestors through our genes... a lot of it is possible if you ask me, but I would never call that part of me, because it has control if it wants to over me, but I can't control it.

Work in progress obviously not entirely sure how it actually is and comes together.
I think life is always carrier of varrying magnitude of consciousness, so every cell has a cell sized amount of consciousness and it could be that through that there is some form of quantum entanglement with 'beings from higher dimensions' or the cells themselves, or the intelligence of the universe, or ...

I don't know yet. But I spend a lot of time with me and analyse everything I say do and think and honestly in the moment I might often not be instantly aware where my reactions are coming from but in hindsight you can see exactly what caused them. So since it is emerging from the to this poin sum of my experience those things are clearly not in any way seperate.

I like to believe that I can spot when sthg truly 'alien' arrives in my inner world. Because that has happened. And the difference is significant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join