It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The time has come, the Walrus said, to speak of [Flat Earth] - and other things...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 05:18 AM
link   
A trip around our "flat" Earth as seen from the ISS , including the spectacular Aurora Australis and less than spectacular light pollution.

The main problem with Flat Earth theory is a flat Earth couldn't sustain an atmosphere and as we have had an atmosphere for a long time now the Earth can not be flat.

S+f for the effort you put in to the OP though.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Schoolchildren launch balloon. Prove Earth is round

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:05 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

What a great school project that was!

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

The thing is we don’t need to get all that technical on this subject, if you can answer these simple questions I’ll take the flat earth position more seriously.

Why in the Southern Hemisphere do we see different constellations in the night sky?

Why is it cold at the poles and warm at the equator?

What about the seasons, the further north we go we experience longer daylight hours in summer, and the reverse in winter. The same is true going south of the equator but in reverse. Where as at the equator there is not much difference year round.

These things are known facts, no fake images or anything needed. They are explained easily if we are on a globe, not so much on a flat earth.
edit on 1-7-2023 by surfer_soul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Physics cannot create a flat object in space.
Period.

Yes.

And why is every single other planet we can see in space from Earth a SPHERE that ROTATES?

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   
anytime the flat earth theory comes up, I cannot help by think, it's exactly the same as Bigfoot. if it's flat, there is an edge all the way around it. And we as a people are free to buy planes and fly, or buy boats and float, anywhere we wish. And to date, nobody has offered a picture or anything showing one of the edges. Perhaps Bigfoot was blocking the camera.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Firstly, thanks for such a thoughtful post and your sheer effort.

I'd be interested how you might explain the long history of circumnavigation flights, though:

applications.icao.int...#:~:text=The%20fastest%20circumnavigation%20of%20Earth,Qatar)% 20at%20Kennedy%20Space%20Center

"In 1929, the record for flying around the world was not held by a fixed-wing aircraft, but by the Graf Zeppelin, piloted by Hugo Eckener with a time of 21 days 5 hours and 31 minutes (the only such flight by an airship). The airship departed from Lakehurst, New Jersey on 8 August 1929 and ended at the same place on 29 August."
edit on 1-7-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My family flew around the planet in the 70s. We watched the sun set behind us, and some hours later (maybe 4) it came up in front of us. I was really confused and thought it was evening, when actually morning

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Am with ya, as far as this being a Mushroom-Experiment™.
( Keep 'em in the dark, and feed them with BS™. )

But am not able to make those leaps-of-faith required, to believe in something, anything.

We have no idea about many things, that are just beyond the limits of our very limited senses.
Some claim that we dream this world into existence, and therefore the limitations of our senses, are the limits of this dreamworld.

Our experience of the land, appears to us as flattish.
That's all we know.

Someone will be along soon, to claim : ' Uhm.., actually the world isn't round, it's an Oblate-Spheroid™.

In my opinion : it's impossible for anyone to really know that.
They were told that, and believed it.
Just another story.

What is left, when one stops believing everything they were told ?

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Only if you think satellites, ISS, Soyuz, Mercury, Apollo, Hubble, James Webb, Gagarin, Space Shuttle and all the rest are fake.

Or that common sense and centuries of acquired knowledge and progress aren't real.

Takes some special kind of evidence to counter all that.

Got any?

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
anytime the flat earth theory comes up, I cannot help by think, it's exactly the same as Bigfoot. if it's flat, there is an edge all the way around it. And we as a people are free to buy planes and fly, or buy boats and float, anywhere we wish. And to date, nobody has offered a picture or anything showing one of the edges. Perhaps Bigfoot was blocking the camera.

I works like GTAV. You can try to fly off the screen, but when the programmed parameters are exceeded you fall into a black abyss. You don't actually see an edge, but your plane will stop flying and your boat will stop floating.

Good news is when that happens you will always respawn outside a hospital.
edit on 1-7-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
That's all we know.

This is true, since we are such tiny creatures on the planet.

And yet when every single flat earther try to prove it's flat through simple observations that anyone can do, they in fact prove that it is curving at an angle that - coincidentally - would roughly make it a sphere the size of what the Earth is said to be.

Weird huh.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: merka

originally posted by: Nothin
That's all we know.

This is true, since we are such tiny creatures on the planet.

And yet when every single flat earther try to prove it's flat through simple observations that anyone can do, they in fact prove that it is curving at an angle that - coincidentally - would roughly make it a sphere the size of what the Earth is said to be.

Weird huh.

When we believe in stories : then info from outside of those stories, seem weird.

You are free to believe whatever you like.

Ball-Earth™ ;
Flathead-Earth™ ;
Oblate-Spheroid-Earth™ ;

All stories, that one needs to believe what we are told, to endure.

After all stories are put-aside : what is left ?

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The earth is a sphere because:

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Then do the experiments yourself. There are plenty of them that you can do with household materials.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Flat-earth is my schadenfreude topic. It's pretty much the only wacky theory that literally has everything in the world working against it. And earns being picked on for never being able to answer.

And with that in mind.

Where is the edge drawn and how does that work with shipping? More specifically where is the longitudinal edge?

Like suppose the edge is around the international dateline. What if you had to go from Hawaii to Phillipines? Does that mean they have to sail all the way to Panama, through the Atlantic, around the horn of Africa, across the Indian Ocean, and into the Pacific ocean again?

Please, Flat-earthers, I cant refine this joke until you define where the edge is on this flat planet. I have to figure out the international shipping logistics, and I can't do that if you can't define where to the slice the globe and flatten it out.

Is the edge one of those things where there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over?"

*** Post edit. I actually didn't ever bother to really look at the flat earth model, so this post reflects my ignorance to what a flat earth model really looks like. I didn't know they flattened it out from the top to keep it circular.
edit on 1-7-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Please tell me you are not serious right?

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

With everything we need to urgently figure out in this world... let's talk about the completely bogus flat earth theory

A mind is a terrible thing to waste

If its true though, its the biggest lie ever told and therefor very important to understand why we have been lied to as it may tie into all the other abuse humans are put through by those in control.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
Flat-earth is my schadenfreude topic. It's pretty much the only wacky theory that literally has everything in the world working against it. And earns being picked on.

And with that in mind.

Where is the edge drawn and how does that work with shipping? More specifically where is the longitudinal edge?

Like suppose the edge is around the international dateline. What if you had to go from Hawaii to Phillipines? Does that mean they have to sail all the way to Panama, through the Atlantic, around the horn of Africa, across the Indian Ocean, and into the Pacific ocean again?

Please, Flat-earthers, I cant refine this joke until you define where the edge is on this flat planet. I have to figure out the international shipping logistics, and I can't do that if you can't define where to the slice the globe and flatten it out.

Is the edge one of those things where there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over?"

If its true then we have been put through centuries of lies so at this point perhaps these details you demand are not totally available and only those who are interested will look at the known data. Its one theory against another theory at this point. Either way, they are theories because not all has been worked out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join