It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden pardons thousands with federal convictions of simple marijuana possession

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
No one is currently in jail at the federal level for simple cannabis possession.

The move would affect 6500 people previously charged with simple cannabis crimes.

www.cnn.com...

Officials said there are currently no Americans serving prison time solely on federal simple marijuana possession charges. But they said the number who had been charged with that crime was north of 6,500.

the number in federal prison for marijuana is 149 according to this article.

Biden's pardons will help thousands with past convictions, but few today are in federal prison just for possessing marijuana

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: RickinVa

But he's also encouraging governors to follow suit. Considering most simple possession charges are going to be at the state level, there could be a lot more people getting pardoned.

I live in Kentucky......all efforts to legalize have been killed by the turtle

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This would in no way make me feel any differently than I already do, on any political level... I'll just leave that at that.

And yes, a desperate plea for votes...... not fallin for that chiz.
I do, however, like to see this on the table (regardless the reason, really). To continue to classify MJ as a schedule 1 narcotic on a federal level is just further proof of the incompetence of those in charge. Schedule 1 is a "no medical properties" class (I'm almost positive of this), and to say MJ has no medical use is down right denying facts. And I'm sorry, but no matter what we should stick to the facts. It's time they release that wonderful, useful* PLANT, and just let go of all that foolishness of severe jail time for a couple of doobies.

Unfortunately, I do wonder now, as some have pointed out, if any of this will come to anything... Or will this be just everything else this šŸ’© show has been.
Would be great if they did finally* drop the federal level/state level difference.
Legalize it ā˜®ļø
edit on 6-10-2022 by AOx6179 because: Misspelled

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: InwardDiver
a reply to: AOx6179

This is a step in the right direction. Marijuana legalization is a key issue for me and look forward to the day when people can use it without concern about pre-employment drug tests or the law.

It may be legal on a Federal level, but states can still deem it illegal and pre employment drug tests are up to the company to decide. If it is made legal in your state, that doesn't mean anything, companies can still have a zero tolerance policy.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Typical of California. I know someone who works for a recreation cannabis facility and she brags how well sheā€™s paid, and how much that town has benefited from it, schools, after school programs, police.

I just took her word for it.

I must say though, California has a knack for f$ng things up imo.

While I agree it is a desperate bid for votes, it would be a money maker if done correctly imo!

edit on 6-10-2022 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Think of all the people disqualified from purchasing firearms due to marijuana bustsā€¦

Welcome to the door of unintended consequences.

I scanned the thread first as not to step on the conversation and you brought up my thought as well.

Personally, I highly doubt the gun control lobbyists are going to let this happen. I always thought that a large part of normalizing mari j use was to increase the number of denials as it pertains to gun purchases.

As the latest supreme court decision in Bruen begins overturning gun control nationwide, those opposed to guns will get desperate and this rule may very well end up
being before the SCOTUS.

Since there's no historical precedent to bar ones second amendment rights over marijuana use, (the law was part of the 1968 Gun Control Act. Before that, nothing.) Bruen will destroy that as well.

Just going to take some time. Hang on tight, it's going to be bumpy along the way.
ā­+šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
edit on 10/6/2022 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lmao.
This pos Biden guy laughed at the 3 strikes law he wrote.
He smiled while he said even the judges can't reduce sentences.
Op, you should change title, or hoax bin the thread.
Your title is wrong. He just tossed simple possession charges on a few.
It's tuitiongate 2.0
...pandering to the young and dumb FaceTwits for votes.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'll be happy when I don't have to go buy fake piss just to get a job while dealing with cranky alcoholics who can't be bothered to do their jobs properly.

And another point is they need to drop the whole MJ users can't buy guns BS.

MJ use has no bearing on responsible gun ownership/use.

I will always use the example that a raging alcoholic or even pill head can go buy a gun and off someone or themselves, but lord forbid you smoke a doob on a Friday night.
edit on 6-10-2022 by AutomateThis1v2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Welp.....Well......

There's the FIRST thing he's done that I can actually agree with

Getting close to November though so they have to have SOMETHING

I don't have any faith they will follow through tho
MJ crimes bring in way too much money for the federal gov......

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Thousands of people convicted of cannabis possession have been pardoned by Joe Biden, in a major move that advocates say was ā€œlong overdueā€ and could help pave the way for national marijuana legalization.

The president only has authority over the Federal Prison System. Simple possession charges are not felony's and are subject to county jail terms.

The pardons cover ā€œsimple possessionā€, which is a low-level offense, meaning people imprisoned for trafficking, sales or other marijuana charges will not be covered. The White House said no one is currently incarcerated in federal prison solely for ā€œsimple possessionā€.

So what did he accomplish then?

He went on to urge all governors to do the same with regards to state offenses, saying, ā€œJust as no one should be in a federal prison solely due to the possession of marijuana, no one should be in a local jail or state prison for that reason, either.ā€

There is the other shoe.
He didn't really accomplish much except to tell the states what he wants them to do.

Just another stab at trying to get The People to feel like they have achieved some sort of victory. The thing I want to know is what are they trying to distract the sheeple from? I think something big is coming down the turnpike.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Welp.....Well......

There's the FIRST thing he's done that I can actually agree with

Getting close to November though so they have to have SOMETHING

I don't have any faith they will follow through tho
MJ crimes bring in way too much money for the federal gov......

Even if they did pardon every single person I wouldn't be surprised if they just backtracked after the election.

Especially if the results aren't favorable. I can see them coming down with a vengeance and fabricating any nonsense needed to crack down even harder. Would not surprise me one bit.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Yeah, I goofed the title. Wasn't sure if I should fix it this late in. The convo seems to be going in the direction I thought it might.a reply to: Mandroid7

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If Lindsay Graham says he's reversing this, so help me...

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
If Lindsay Graham says he's reversing this, so help me...

he's too busy attacking Elon Musk calling for peace before we instigate nuclear war. he didn't like hearing that.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   

It's all good dude.
The topic just pisses me off.
..sick of being played
Glad you brought it here, I've been reading about it all day.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   
How many "Pardonees" have other convictions that make this meaningless ? šŸ˜€

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:44 PM
link   
pure political move, not much if anything will change at the federal level.

Very little ever does, shame so many people still fall for stunts like this.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
If weaving while high, will you get a DUI?

I think so. But just to be sure, why don't you go try it and report back?

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
How many "Pardonees" have other convictions that make this meaningless ? šŸ˜€

Oofta may. I didn't even think about that.

Adds more credence to my theory of giving the sheeple a victory as a distraction for something to come. At least (In My Head)

It could also be a PR stunt for the elections in 24. The article is aimed at the disproportionate rate of colored incarceration for marijuana. I haven't looked at the demographic data but I think I remember somewhere that the minorities are the new majority. Mmmm minority sheeple voters!

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Itā€™s a smart move. The tax money that can be made on this will be huge.

I personally donā€™t like MJ, but know many people who do, and it seems to really help their anxiety.

People should not be in jail for MJ either.

I agree with you ' Word for Word ' .

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join