It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden pardons thousands with federal convictions of simple marijuana possession

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   

People serving sentences for "simple possession" to be released.

It's about time. Biden to decriminalize Mary-J on the federal level

I thought this crowd might enjoy this. Looks like decriminalization on the federal level may be coming soon.

I say đź‘Ť. It's about time.

This may be the one good thing to come out of all this.
Cheers...
edit on 6-10-2022 by AOx6179 because: Misspelled

edit on 6-10-2022 by AOx6179 because: Misspelled

edit on 10/6/2022 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads
edit on Thu Oct 6 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   
pandering for the dems, should have done last years or six months from now.

don't be a dem one, vote republican,

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AOx6179

The Biden Administration might be too incompetent to accomplish this, like they were with getting student loans forgiven.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It’s a smart move. The tax money that can be made on this will be huge.

I personally don’t like MJ, but know many people who do, and it seems to really help their anxiety.

People should not be in jail for MJ either.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:09 PM
link   

This might be the only thing he has ever done that I agree with. Too bad he did it for votes and not because it was the right thing.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'll believe it when I see it. The pardons are a nice start though.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   

“Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit. Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while white and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates,” he added.

Someone is clearly losing support.....

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   

This is a step in the right direction. Marijuana legalization is a key issue for me and look forward to the day when people can use it without concern about pre-employment drug tests or the law.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:15 PM
link   
aside from being an obvious ploy to buy votes before an election, the scam here is that many violent criminals are in prison because of a practice to plea to the marijuana charges. in one way, it is beneficial to the person facing a more serious level charge to not have that on their record, and for the prosecutors it still gets the perp off the street.

so the back door strategy was to knock violent felonies down to drug charges, then later go back through and invalidate those drug charges as being unfair while ignoring the totality of why they are in prison. because on its surface it sounds like a very reasonable action. but if you're in prison for 14 years for smoking marijuana, you're not in prison for smoking marijuana.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:16 PM
link   
NM
Wrong link.
edit on 6-10-2022 by Hangontight because: Wrong link error

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Will this really sway some people's vote?
Decriminalizing weed doesn't sound like enough of a reason to let Joe continue to destroy this country. I guess if you're legally high it's all good huh?

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I'm sure there will still be some reason why I am unable to indulge if I wish to keep my job.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   
if this were what they want you to think it was on face value there would be a push to decriminalize marijuana on the federal level so there was no statue for them to be charged with. but curiously there's no push for that.

edit: the news I saw was that Biden was issuing pardons for people in prison for marijuana. not that he was legalizing it on the federal level. are we sure he's doing that? the articles I see just say pardons, which is something he has the power to do himself.
edit on 6-10-2022 by juulzverne because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Think of all the people disqualified from purchasing firearms due to marijuana busts…

Welcome to the door of unintended consequences.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: juulzverne
aside from being an obvious ploy to buy votes before an election, the scam here is that many violent criminals are in prison because of a practice to plea to the marijuana charges. in one way, it is beneficial to the person facing a more serious level charge to not have that on their record, and for the prosecutors it still gets the perp off the street.

so the back door strategy was to knock violent felonies down to drug charges, then later go back through and invalidate those drug charges as being unfair while ignoring the totality of why they are in prison. because on its surface it sounds like a very reasonable action. but if you're in prison for 14 years for smoking marijuana, you're not in prison for smoking marijuana.

Seriously? Can you please provide some further info? Violent crimes like murder, or assault with a Deadly weapon are pleaded down to a Marijuana charge?

If they were, there is no way the original charges were warranted in the first place, the case must be extremely weak.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
No one is currently in jail at the federal level for simple cannabis possession.

The move would affect 6500 people previously charged with simple cannabis crimes.

www.cnn.com...

Officials said there are currently no Americans serving prison time solely on federal simple marijuana possession charges. But they said the number who had been charged with that crime was north of 6,500.

edit on 6-10-2022 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If weaving while high, will you get a DUI?

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

But he's also encouraging governors to follow suit. Considering most simple possession charges are going to be at the state level, there could be a lot more people getting pardoned.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

You might want to check on California to see how that's going for them.

Their legal pot industry was asking for a bail out recently.

This is a desperate bid by the democrats to distract from the catastrophe they've made out of everything else.

posted on Oct, 6 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If weaving while high, will you get a DUI?

yes you will, no different than alcohol. state law come into play then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join