It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Administration Quietly Raised Amount of Ethanol Required in Gasoline from 10% to 15%

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Oh great, more tax payers money to subsidize the corn farmers. The only people that are going to make any money are the large corn growers, and Bayer the GMO giant.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: panoz77

originally posted by: infolurker
Does anyone else still think that there is not an effort to create famine? We already burn 40% of our corn as mandatory ethanol additive to gasoline, now they are going to raise it which causes numerous problems like less food for us and livestock, less food to export, destroying engines, fuel liines and related mechanical components that are not designed for that level of ethanol usage.

Democrats insane.

Biden: You think it is bad now? Hold my beer!

Biden Administration Quietly Raised Amount of Ethanol Required in Gasoline from Ten Percent to Fifteen, Three Predictable Problems Will Surface Soon

theconservativetreehouse.com... fteen-three-predictable-problems-will-surface-soon/

Last Friday the Biden administration raised the mandatory amount of biofuel, specifically ethanol, that must be blended within the U.S. gasoline supply. The previous amount of 10% was raised to 15% by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This is likely to lead to two sets of bigger issues, less food and higher gas prices.

♦ First issue. – The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is a government mandate, passed in 2005 and expanded in 2007, that requires growing volumes of biofuels to be blended into U.S. transportation fuels like gasoline and diesel every year. Approximately 40 percent of corn grown in the U.S. is used for ethanol.

The EPA enforces the biofuel standard by requiring refineries to submit purchase credits (known as Renewable Identification Numbers, or RINs) to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proving the purchases. This enforcement requirement sets up a system where the RIN credits are bought and sold by small refineries who do not have the infrastructure to do the blending process. They purchase second-hand RIN credits from parties that blended or imported biofuels directly. This sets up a secondary income stream, a trading market for the larger oil companies, refineries and importers.

The RIN credit trading platform is similar to what we might expect to see if the ‘Carbon Trading’ scheme was ever put into place.

♦ Third Issue – “Ethanol is a valuable source of octane in finished gasoline, but it is chemically different than petroleum gasoline and cannot be used in concentrations above 10 percent in small engines — like outboard boat motors, motorcycles, lawnmowers, generators or chain saws — or in any cars made before 2001. Complicating matters further, most cars on the road today still aren’t warrantied to run on gasoline with more than 10 percent ethanol.

EPA Raises Amount of Ethanol That Must Be Blended With Gas

www.usnews.com...

Most gasoline sold in the U.S. contains 10% ethanol, and the fuel has become a key part of the economy in many Midwest states. The fuel consumes more than 40% of the nation's corn supply

“Today’s actions will help to reduce our reliance on oil and put the RFS program back on track after years of challenges and mismanagement," said EPA Administrator Michael Regan.

The Renewable Fuels Association, an ethanol lobbying group, criticized the retroactive reduction of biofuels targets but said the future requirements would bring certainty back to the renewable fuel standard, help lower gas prices and set a foundation for future growth.

15% Ethanol is E85 and if your not driving an E85 rated car, your about to have major issues. Not only that, but if that's the case for regular unleaded, then we are being stolen from at the pumps.

That's flat out incorrect.

Flex Fuel
E85 (or flex fuel) is a term that refers to high-level ethanol-gasoline blends containing 51% to 83% ethanol, depending on geography and season

afdc.energy.gov...

E15 is still a horrible idea and I really hope someone steps in and stops this before it's too late.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Bell Performance has fuel additives that counter the effects of ethanol. Depending on which one you get, its either $16.95 or $19.95 for a 16oz bottle. The good news is one ounce of additive treats ten gallons of gas. I have not used this product so I cant say how well it works or if it is harmful or not, but this is what my search revealed for ways to counter high ethanol in gasoline.

I will be checking this out since my car is an '06 and will not run on E85. There are probably other products similar to this one and hopefully at least one of them works as advertised.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 06:23 AM
link   
When I got my first ride-on mower/garden tractor (Old bolens, with a two cylinder briggs), I had to rebuild the carb EVERY spring and EVERY fall (winter/summer blended e10) because the ethanol/water in the fuel plus the low quality of the gasoline in the mix would clog it up that quickly.
Ethanol burns slow/hot compared to gasoline, so when they add ethanol it lowers the chance of the gasoline exploding - which gives it a higher octane rating. Higher compression engines need higher octane because it keeps the air/fuel mixture from detonating before the spark goes off.

After the third year, I started asking around as to WHY this was happening, and learned that it was this crap in the fuel.

I immediately built a rig for removing the ethanol from pump gas- it's a messy process and I don't like doing it... but 5 gallons of gasoline and a quart of water shaken up in a container, with a few drops of food coloring (which binds to water) does work. Shake it up and the ethanol will bind to the water and phase separate out of the gasoline, and sink to the bottom of the tank, where it can be drained out. The food coloring won't bind to the gasoline so it makes a pretty obvious difference.
For a while, small aircraft guys were doing this, and then adding octane boost additives to get the fuel back to an appropriate rating so they could fly without risk of falling out of the sky.

I get my ethanol free at the marina- about 20 miles out of my way... but I don't need to rebuild my small engine carbs all the time anymore.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 09:57 AM
link   
For the non-mechanical guy in the group (me), would a fuel additive like Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner or Fuel Treatment balance the damaging effects of this new "improved" gas?

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

I have a suggestion. Italy. Even if you can only afford to fly to Italy and buy a few good meals before you're left to die on the streets of starvation, it beats this junkyard.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Biden Administration Quietly Raised Amount of Ethanol Required in Gasoline from 10% to 15%

Also means that Gas's shelf life is going from weeks to days.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Some good news: wheels.blogs.nytimes.com...

Few gas pumps are certified by Underwriters Laboratories as safe to use the fuel, which contains about 15 percent ethanol. Most of the gasoline now being sold is E10, a blend containing 10 percent ethanol.

Many state and local fire codes require stations to use equipment that is certified by a third party — like U.L. — as being compatible with the fuel being sold.

That leaves service station owners with three options, said John Eichberger, vice president for government relations at NACS, an association for convenience stores and about 70,000 gas stations.

One is to simply take a chance and use E15 in old equipment, raising the prospect of legal problems.

I know that in my area, there's only 3 or 4 gas stations that are selling E15 gas.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I have a 2020 subaru and the book says it can burn up to ten percent ethanol in gas. More than that voids the warrantee. If there is an engine failure, they do test the oil and the fuel at the Subaru garage and the results are included in with the warantee information sent in to get the warrantee to pay for those failures. According to the mechanic, that happens on every failure of the engine warranted by Subaru. I still have my factory warrantee plus, my extended warrantee we got is a Subaru warrantee. Also the oil changes have to be within the guidelines, We did exceed the time between oil changes, but not the mileage, in fact we have had like five oil changes so far and don't have the mileage yet needed for two oil changes. I guess there is a lenience for time, as long as it is not over three months of six months recommended. Well, we have less than ten thousand miles in two and a half years.

That just proves this is all done on purpose to further their agenda to get rid of fuel burning cars, to replace with EVs.
This should get everyone involved and absolutely furious. If this is not done with criminal intent I don't know what is

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

originally posted by: ancientlight
a reply to: lordcomac

My car is from 2006, what can I do ?

Ugh so angry about this, it's just stress upon stress upon stress, and all because of these psychopathic a**holes

Most gas stations (at least where I live) have the 93 octane premium fuel, usually has no ethanol. But it’s very expensive now. $5.70/gallon in Wisconsin. If you can afford it, get that for your car. I have a 2003 Olds Alero. 19 year old car still runs pretty good, but not on the 10% ethanol. Some gas stations have ethanol free fuel that is 87-89 octane, but that is probably more costly too. Whatever you do, don’t get the 15% ethanol. It would probably wreck your car. I know it would wreck mine.
I've been using 87 , do you know if it's safe to suddenly switch to 91 or 93 ?
I drive a Toyota Acura mdx (it's my dad's old car
)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   

As planned, Everybody was beat down and conditioned pretty thoroughly by the covid Hysteria.

Now the authorities are prodding us to see just how much abuse we will take, before rebelling by marching on Washington.

Thus far, they have to be pretty pleased.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Also I been reading elsewhere that the ethanol thingie is fake and is a rumor.... Forbes just posted about the corn liquor in our gas increase 18 hour ago

NOT FAKE
Right under that I glanced at the title of the next article (something about companies need to be equal, inclusive and diverse
didn't read it as I'd barf) . Marxists terms and obviously more important than dealing with the crashing stock market

Not mad at you , just the stupid lefty forbes rag.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: panoz77

Does anyone else still think that there is not an effort to create famine? We already burn 40% of our corn as mandatory ethanol additive to gasoline, now they are going to raise it which causes numerous problems like less food for us and livestock, less food to export, destroying engines, fuel liines and related mechanical components that are not designed for that level of ethanol usage.

Democrats insane.

Biden Administration Quietly Raised Amount of Ethanol Required in Gasoline from Ten Percent to Fifteen, Three Predictable Problems Will Surface Soon

theconservativetreehouse.com... fteen-three-predictable-problems-will-surface-soon/

Last Friday the Biden administration raised the mandatory amount of biofuel, specifically ethanol, that must be blended within the U.S. gasoline supply. The previous amount of 10% was raised to 15% by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This is likely to lead to two sets of bigger issues, less food and higher gas prices.

♦ First issue. – The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is a government mandate, passed in 2005 and expanded in 2007, that requires growing volumes of biofuels to be blended into U.S. transportation fuels like gasoline and diesel every year. Approximately 40 percent of corn grown in the U.S. is used for ethanol.

The EPA enforces the biofuel standard by requiring refineries to submit purchase credits (known as Renewable Identification Numbers, or RINs) to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) proving the purchases. This enforcement requirement sets up a system where the RIN credits are bought and sold by small refineries who do not have the infrastructure to do the blending process. They purchase second-hand RIN credits from parties that blended or imported biofuels directly. This sets up a secondary income stream, a trading market for the larger oil companies, refineries and importers.

The RIN credit trading platform is similar to what we might expect to see if the ‘Carbon Trading’ scheme was ever put into place.

♦ Third Issue – “Ethanol is a valuable source of octane in finished gasoline, but it is chemically different than petroleum gasoline and cannot be used in concentrations above 10 percent in small engines — like outboard boat motors, motorcycles, lawnmowers, generators or chain saws — or in any cars made before 2001. Complicating matters further, most cars on the road today still aren’t warrantied to run on gasoline with more than 10 percent ethanol.

www.usnews.com...

Most gasoline sold in the U.S. contains 10% ethanol, and the fuel has become a key part of the economy in many Midwest states. The fuel consumes more than 40% of the nation's corn supply

“Today’s actions will help to reduce our reliance on oil and put the RFS program back on track after years of challenges and mismanagement," said EPA Administrator Michael Regan.

The Renewable Fuels Association, an ethanol lobbying group, criticized the retroactive reduction of biofuels targets but said the future requirements would bring certainty back to the renewable fuel standard, help lower gas prices and set a foundation for future growth.

15% Ethanol is E85 and if your not driving an E85 rated car, your about to have major issues. Not only that, but if that's the case for regular unleaded, then we are being stolen from at the pumps.

That's flat out incorrect.

Flex Fuel
E85 (or flex fuel) is a term that refers to high-level ethanol-gasoline blends containing 51% to 83% ethanol, depending on geography and season

afdc.energy.gov...

E15 is still a horrible idea and I really hope someone steps in and stops this before it's too late.

Then why does your link provide another link to FFV's? (Flex Fuel Vehicles)

Which says this:

Flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs) are designed to run on gasoline or gasoline-ethanol blends of up to 85% ethanol (E85).1 Except for a few engine and fuel system modifications, they are identical to gasoline-only models. FFVs experience no loss in performance when operating on E85, and some generate more torque and horsepower than when operating on gasoline. However, since ethanol contains less energy per volume than gasoline, FFVs typically get about 15%–27% fewer miles per gallon when fuelled with E85.2....

If non FFV's can handle Flex fuel, why the modifications? Just curious.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

a reply to: lordcomac

My car is from 2006, what can I do ?

Ugh so angry about this, it's just stress upon stress upon stress, and all because of these psychopathic a**holes

Most gas stations (at least where I live) have the 93 octane premium fuel, usually has no ethanol. But it’s very expensive now. $5.70/gallon in Wisconsin. If you can afford it, get that for your car. I have a 2003 Olds Alero. 19 year old car still runs pretty good, but not on the 10% ethanol. Some gas stations have ethanol free fuel that is 87-89 octane, but that is probably more costly too. Whatever you do, don’t get the 15% ethanol. It would probably wreck your car. I know it would wreck mine.
I've been using 87 , do you know if it's safe to suddenly switch to 91 or 93 ?
I drive a Toyota Acura mdx (it's my dad's old car
)

The new cars with computer controlled firing automatically change the injection and timing to match the fuel. Not like the old throttle body injection and timing that needed to be set to keep things running right. I run only premium in my 2020 Subaru, no ethenol, but the gas station also has regular no ethenol. Not much difference in how it runs with those two, but there is a difference from ethanol free to gas containing ethanol. It has more snap without the ethanol.

My plow truck is an eighty seven with throttle body injection and regular electronic ignition. I have the timing and throtle body adjusted to run on premium ethanol free. It will run on regular ethanol free but stumbles on the gas with ethanol. It seems to have the best powerband for plowing the way I set it using ethanol free premium. It is a stick, so to save on the clutch, and keep the stalling down at lower rpm, I had to set things differently. It does all right on the highway, but if I were to run it on the highway a lot, I would switch the idle mix screw or whatever it is to a lower RPM and set the timing differently. I used to be a certified mechanic for a few years back in the early eighties, following years of tuning up cars to race around in. I kept up with that over the years, but I can't alter things anymore on the new cars in the last fifteen years anymore, I have not kept up with the new full computer control stuff.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Also I been reading elsewhere that the ethanol thingie is fake and is a rumor.... Forbes just posted about the corn liquor in our gas increase 18 hour ago

NOT FAKE
Right under that I glanced at the title of the next article (something about companies need to be equal, inclusive and diverse
didn't read it as I'd barf) . Marxists terms and obviously more important than dealing with the crashing stock market

Not mad at you , just the stupid lefty forbes rag.

From that article you listed...."15% does not have a deleterious impact on engines—at least four stroke engines"

Well, the word deleterious does not include knocking down the mileage the engine will last. Ethanol does lower the life of the engine at levels over ten percent....I have seen information based on research of some car companies stating that when the engine is smaller and more power is extracted from it like my Subaru and many other engines that rev pretty high during acceleration. So the engine won't last as long, and the fuel economy also drops lower on cars when they use over ten percent. Fifteen percent will cause the maximum life of the engine to decline....good for companies that make engines and the mechanics, bad for the people that pay for that. At ten percent the engine life is not lowered that much, but boosting it to fifteen percent could take up to thirty thousand miles off the engine life on some of the more powerful small engines. Those cars presently get around two hundred thousand or even more on the engines. I doubt if altering the carburation would negate the loss of longlivity either.
edit on 7-6-2022 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 08:46 PM
link   

It's totally fine, the worst that'll happen is any knocks or pings should go away, haha. Well that and the ridiculous price difference. Just make sure to check the pump for the ethanol free sticker, I actually went to a couple of places that have 91 near me on the way home today (after my posts on the second page got me wondering) and none of them were ethanol free.

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

15% is E15.
85% ethanol is E85.
Just trying to maintain clarity

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: devilsadvocatetoday

Not one bit.
Ethanol is corrosive and the seals in a fuel system have to be made of sturdier material than those designed for gasoline. The rubbers that hold up a long time to gasoline contact can quickly become mushy and soft when in prolonged contact with ethanol. No additives will do much to protect them

posted on Jun, 7 2022 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's not miles-per-gallon, it's miles-per-dollar.

87 octane "gas" is $5 here, E85 is only $4 and it's 105+ octane. In the right engine, it's good for +100hp and +100ft-lbs.

I had a full Flex non-turbo Benz I would drive up and down the East coast. Compared to premium, it came out to E85 being -20%$ cheaper, and it got -10% less miles, a net +10% gain.

It's a very misunderstood fuel. It burns perfectly clean, it's renewable, a easily utilized liquid fuel that's already widely distributed. Again, in the right engine, it makes crazy power with low emissions. It's very high octane coupled with greater evaporative cooling lets injectors fire up to six times during combustion to stir and cool the engine. Direct Injection in Stratified Mode with turbo is the ticket.

posted on Jun, 8 2022 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Democrats insane.

www.usnews.com...

but why is it needed?

not enough oil?
speaking of renewables, isn't oil renewable?

has the earth stopped making it?

has anyone tried to date it? find the olldest and the youngest?

how long does it take to make? awhile back there were threads about wells refilling.

why use food if it f's up the engine?

oh wouldn't oil be a bio fuel??

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join