It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I ask why electric vehicles not self charging

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Even if you cracked the vibration problem, you can't put enough solar cells on a car to make that big of a difference.

Large electric motors don't run on DC power. They run on AC power. You have to have an inverter to convert DC to AC. You take a power loss with an inverter. You control the speed of an electric motor by changing the Hertz of the current. That takes a motor drive. Again there is an energy loss. You can try to use a variable speed transmission to control the speed, but, that has a weight penalty.

By the way my current job is helping to design large motor drives.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

That's what hybrids like the Prius do, convert friction and drag into electrons somehow to charge the battery.

Apparently a straight electric vehicle is unable? Maybe it's just not feasible?

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Could use electro-magnets and apply a AC voltage to it. Field would always be changing. And some sort of detection system that would only turn on the magnets within say 20-30 yards of the electric vehicle.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   
My Maverick explained

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

We need to go back to teaching the hard sciences in our schools instead of the "feel good" environmental b*llsh*t being taught.

Think of the consequences! Global Warming would never have gotten more than a chuckle... the Chinese virus scare would have been nonexistent and Fauci would have been hung in a courthouse square... Elon Musk would be just another smart guy... oh the HUMANITY!

TheRedneck

edit on 4/21/2022 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech

Could use electro-magnets and apply a AC voltage to it. Field would always be changing. And some sort of detection system that would only turn on the magnets within say 20-30 yards of the electric vehicle.

None of that would affect the fact that the car would require more energy to move it past the magnets.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Large electric motors don't run on DC power.

The electric vehicles I have seen do run on DC. The motors use around 90VDC and the speed is controlled by PWM.

AC motors were used for high power applications pretty much exclusively at one time, and they are still cheaper and easier to manufacture. But high-power DC motors do exist.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
My Maverick explained

www.youtube.com...

My takeaway from that is "Don't mess with the orange wiring!"

edit on 21/4/2022 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Going to sound off the wall but I wonder what type of research is being done on animals like the electric eel . If we can figure out how to recreate the muscle cells we could create a self charging unit they can throw out 600 volts .

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Electric eels use the same mechanism to power their biological processes to produce electricity. It's all chemical-based.

We do that already. Hydrocarbons (fossil fuels) are chemical-based. We even have methane fuel cells to do direct conversion to electricity... there's just no advantage to using them over a rotating mechanism like an alternator, and the infrastructure for alternators is already in place.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Laws of Thermodynamics for Poets:
1. You can't get something for nothing
2. The best you can do is to break even
3. You can't even break even

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jarsue97

Greetings,
You're right, my apologies. It was late and that popped into my mind.

The correct site is ...ZPenergy.com Check the past posts by year and check the forum.
This site is one of the best I've seen over the years. They also list other sites that are of value.
You might also want to look up, Rexresearch.com , that one will keep you up into the wee hours of the morning, too.

There is so much misinformation out there, by design, that it is had to unravel the truth.

WE REALLY NEED TO EDUCATE OURSELVES. No one else is going to do it.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
There is one electric truck fleet that charges itself. You just need to load tones of rocks on top of a mountain and unload them at the bottom.

That is absolutely awesome, and completely on-topic in a thread about self-charging vehicles since that's what they are, self-charging vehicles. They generate even more electricity than they use, all without violating any laws of physics!

Now if only we could all find jobs on the tops of mountains that would let us take tons of rocks down the mountain, we could drive back and forth to work for no fuel cost! But we'd have to find a something to do with the rocks at the bottom of the mountain and the mountains would eventually disappear if we kept removing rocks from the top.

I hear Hong Kong and Japan are islands that like to expand by putting fill into the ocean since they have a limited amount of land and not much room to expand otherwise, but getting the rocks there would be costly if the source wasn't close by.

But for most of us I suppose this solution isn't very practical, though it's totally awesome that those trucks are generating more electric power than they use! I found this one of the most interesting videos I've watched all year so thanks very much for posting it!

originally posted by: GeorgeH
a reply to: jarsue97

Greetings,
You're right, my apologies. It was late and that popped into my mind.

The correct site is ...ZPenergy.com Check the past posts by year and check the forum.
This site is one of the best I've seen over the years. They also list other sites that are of value.
You might also want to look up, Rexresearch.com , that one will keep you up into the wee hours of the morning, too.

There is so much misinformation out there, by design, that it is had to unravel the truth.

WE REALLY NEED TO EDUCATE OURSELVES. No one else is going to do it.
If you are reading all the links on sites like ZPenergy.com and rexresearch, you are certainly being exposed to ample amounts of misinformation. I glanced at both sites and they are a hodgepodge of different sources which range anywhere from valid scientific papers, to complete quackery. ZPenergy has an article honoring Tom Bearden who inspired the creation of the ZPenergy site and Bearden was a quack who spouted mostly useless or more often completely wrong misinformation.

It has another article talking about the e-cat which is a hoax.

However it's not all garbage like that, there is an article about the research "Sonny" White of NASA has talked about, who is a legitimate scientist who has good credentials and has done legitimate research.

The problems with those sites is I doubt the ability of the average person to weed out which articles are based in legitimate science and which are based in nonsense and quackery, since they are all jumbled together, and the sites don't tell you which is which...maybe the creators of the sites don't even know. But you know most competent engineers can tell the difference between a turboencabulator video and a legitimate engineering video, it's the average person without engineering training that often can't tell the difference.

edit on 2022426 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 07:46 AM
link   
So what's the downside?

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   

How efficient are they. Not very.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

That's what hybrids like the Prius do, convert friction and drag into electrons somehow to charge the battery.

Apparently a straight electric vehicle is unable? Maybe it's just not feasible?

Hybrids like prius, and all pure electric vehicles, don't convert friction and drag into charging the battery, they convert forward momentum to recharge during desired deceleration.

Friction and drag cause heat in the material and air and aren't generally able to be captured.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 05:49 PM
link   

My 2017 Hyundai sonata hybrid does exactly what you are asking for.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Actually, PWM-controlled motors are pretty efficient as far as motors go. That's why PWM is used.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 1 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

When you collect them as rubbish bound for recycling and then check for burnt spots broken glass if all ok, then replace the diodes if otherwise clean. I did buy one to add another it was a hundred bucks. So now I have them feeding a couple of batteries with a two hundred amp-hour load , rigged up a Rectifier. So the workshop is off-grid.

Why a rectifier? You have an all DC system already.

posted on May, 1 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Sorry meant inverter.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join