It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May accuses EU of trying to affect UK election

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Theresa May has today stood on the steps of No 10 and accused our European friends and allies of attempting to interfere in our election with their threats over Brexit, as Corporal Jones would say " they don't like it up em" and we properly stuck it up em when we decided to leave their little club.

The PM launched a stinging attack on the "bureaucrats of Brussels" in a speech outside 10 Downing Street after meeting the Queen. She said some in Brussels wanted Brexit talks to fail and that the European press had "misrepresented" the UK's negotiating stance.

"The European Commission's negotiating stance has hardened. Threats against Britain have been issued by European politicians and officials. "All of these acts have been deliberately timed to affect the result of the general election that will take place on 8 June."
www.bbc.co.uk...

I think she's probably right although I don't trust Mrs May , the hierarchy of the EU obviously want us to suffer as a deterrent to others who would follow but I'm not sure flat out accusing them of interference is the right way to go , we need to keep the moral high ground and keep it clean.

Of course she could just be electioneering in which case that's a bloody irresponsible thing to do ... but I doubt that's the case.

Who do you think you are kidding Mr Juncker , If you think old England's done ?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
But that is all right as long as it is not Russia. The Saudi's try to influence our election, I think the EU sided with Hillary too and definitely effected our election to swing her way. But not enough to make her win the majority of the states.

I think that She has a right to complain about their interference.

What the EU started out to be is not what it is turning into today. It is turning into a dictatorship instead of an alliance between the nations.
edit on 3-5-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

There's always someone trying to influence elections everywhere.

Remember all those poisoned emperors and nobles.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

She looked unsettled to me.
Assuming what she said was true I would then wonder what she's been told from higher up.

She'd only just come back from an audience with the Queen, and this pose outside number 10 was expected to be the usual election launch for her party.
I wonder if the queen knew more than her and filled her in with some details, or is it based on what the EU have said directly to Theresa May.

This is proper ATS stuff in my opinion.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Every government, corporation, and powerful NGO has their agendum's. If the result of an election matters to those agenda, attempts to influence the outcome will be made by all and every overt, and covert mean.

These are the normal actions of what we all loosely refer to as TPTB. It's just business as usual, that doesn't mean its nothing to worry about, but it does mean there is not a whole lot to be done about it.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I also try to influence elections...one vote at a time.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I thought it interesting she said this after visiting the Queen but doubt it was related to that , I think she's responding to the reports of the comments made at dinner she hosted and on that level she is correct , the dark arts are being practiced by the leadership of the EU.

I think accusing them of interference may be a bit strong and can't shake the feeling she did this for internal reasons.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I would imagine it's a crazy mix of truth and political posturing. I can't shake the feeling of strangeness pulling that card at the last chance she gets electioneering at the podium with the big black door behind it.
She completely changed tack and I really think she looked troubled, more so than yesterday.

Oh to be the proverbial fly on the wall.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, the EU has suddenly become quite nasty of late. Unaccountable grey suits from Brussels doing secret briefings and spreading crap. Kind of makes you pleased that the UK is leaving this bunch of morons.

I think May is correct to call them out and correct to link it to the elections. It’s in the interests of the EU to spread division and do as much harm to the UK as they can.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sorry, double post
edit on 3/5/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Agreed.
I reckon Corbyn would just drop to his knees with begging eyes and an open mouth facing threats from the EU
Yep I'm convinced May will bargain harder than him, and it pains me to type it but I want her to win in the election.
We can vote differently after Brexit, I'm voting lib-dem as the local candidate is a fantastic former representative for my area...and the Conservative candidate is a smug prick.

My vote in June is personally inspired.
edit on 3.5.2017 by grainofsand because: stupid auto correct

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You only vote once? They don't have the bus come around your neighborhood, pick you up and carry you from polling station to polling station like they do in the big cities? Thats just kinda......sad. You know, it takes a village to swing an election! (and a bus)

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

It's a bloody dialogue, isn't it? Two-way St.

The whole BREXIT campaign was based on 'affecting the EU' so it's a tad hypocritical to deny the goose what's been good for the gander.

She should have a go at giving the electorate some credit for their own ability to make decisions. Frigging politicians always want things their own way and screw the rest of us. We already know how to tell BS from policy without her or the EU trying to tell us.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

If I had to bet money I'd say the higher echelons of the EU have made open and honest threats behind closed doors.
I can understand it as well, Britain needs a # deal to deter other countries from leaving.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Politics and business. You could be right.

Good luck to them trying to equalise a union that's economic dead-weight across the Eastern borders.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

The loss of Britain's net financial contribution will be felt by the EU.
I can totally understand desperate threats from those at the feeding trough.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Hey up, best scene on Shaun of the Dead is on! Zombies in the back garden

Yeah, there's no telling what will happen in the next few years. Some will lose out and others will thrive. Let's hope we're on the right side of it

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Seen Shaun of the dead too many times lol
...we'll all survive in my opinion # the EU. Medium term challenges for sure but if we stay strong and united they can go # themselves.

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
How are they going to affect the election?

People don't watch the news as much and the common folks smut papers are far too busy (and happy) ripping Corbyn a new one.

Maybe I'm missing something, it would appear though that most of the people I've talked to over the last few weeks are missing it too.

I've read reportings that some within the EU would prefer Labour, not sure where. So I'd say from that angle it's pretty obscure.

People are sick of the BS, Corbyn is too soft for many and the Tories are # scum. I just hope the Conservatives don't bag it with protest votes.

This country cannot take another term of the crap it's been through the last couple of governments and that has nothing to do with the EU.

What's a voter to do?

posted on May, 3 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I suppose if we can go and stick our nose into the Scottish referendum and Barry stuck his nose into our referendum at our request we can't be that pissed off that Europe has an opinion on us leaving.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join