It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters in Milwaukee set fire to cars, gas station in response to officer involved shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

So now they are bitching because an officer shot an armed suspect?

wtf?

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: odzeandennz

b) was the man posing a threat to other persons with his weapon(or like to injure someone with the weapon)
c) what is the protocol for shooting a fleeing suspect?

A man running around in public with a weapon can be construed as a threat to others. He could take hostages or shoot someone else to cause a distraction. Cops can shoot if they believe he poses a threat.

Agreed. If he had a gun and was running away, there were people at risk. Shooting him, to prevent crimes along his path, is what I would have done too. This scenario probably happens at least once a day somewhere in America, don't you think? If there was no subsequent violence in the community, we'd never know that this justified shooting happened.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
If the suspect and the cop had been armed, this wouldn't have happened.... No wait. If the Cop had been armed.... No...

Hang on, what's the usual rhetoric from the gun nuts? It wasn't the cop who killed him, it was the bullet. Bullets don't kill people, only criminals.... No wait. Start again.

Oh America...

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
One more link that seems pretty active. This is the twitter for WISN 12 News.

twitter.com...

The squad car that was hit by gunfire not too long was unoccupied.

I've confirmed the @MilwaukeePolice squad struck by gunfire a short time ago near 41st and Burleigh was unoccupied. No officers injured.

There are also a few recent tweets about new fires. The most recent one is a tavern.

Edit - WISN 12 News updated and said the most recent fire is a supermarket, not a tavern.

edit on 14-8-2016 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: buni11687

So now they are bitching because an officer shot an armed suspect?

wtf?

Here's an updated (1:19am CDT) version: www.jsonline.com...

The African American sections of Milwaukee are powder kegs. Doesn't take much to set one off, even for irrational reasons.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: cblink

If the suspect did not run to begin with, we would never need to even travel down this rabbit hole.

I know right ! how easy it could have been avoided, just like telling a fat person if they did not eat so much they likely would not be fat !

Running away really should not be a good enough reason for execution, now if the guy was running down the street shooting people then yes he needs to be stopped...assuming the cops knew who it was they could have picked him up later......

Running away from police in general does not rise to a deadly force encounter. Exceptions exist, like running away from police while armed.

* - Tennessee vs. Garner - deadly force use while effecting an arrest

The reasonableness standard applies which is to say what would a person without law enforcement training do. TN vs. Garner established that police cannot shoot a person simply by committing a felony and cannot shoot a suspect in the back.

SCOTUS allowed for an exception in the TN vs. Garner ruling by stating if law enforcement can articulate the suspect poses an imminent threat to the public at large then deadly force can be used to stop the threat, up to and including shooting them as they are fleeing.

Totality of circumstances apply.
The standard established for law enforcement use of force applies.
The exception in TN vs. Garner applies.

An armed suspect does not have to fire first in order for the police to respond.
edit on 14-8-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I don't think we have any evidence whether the shoot was good or not. We don't have any evidence of anything except a crowd of idiots gathered to commit multiple felonies while taking advantage of a favorable media situation.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The fact that this suspect was armed is why I believe Milwaukee protests will NOT morph into anything like what we've seen after UN-ARMED suspects and total innocents were executed by police officers.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:16 AM
link   
from the other thread

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
DAMN!

The good news is those wholesome folks screaming "BLACK POWER" after lighting the gas station on fire, the good news is they "CANT be racists".

LOL:
"we just made history dawg!"

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

some people are just waste of space.
to those morons, they accomplished something.

smh. not all blacks are this retarded. they just mostly fail each other.
no one had common sense in that mob tto not let things get to that based on so little information on the condition of the shooting.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   

It just kills me that what they're trashing is presumably their corner store, bus station, that many of them or surely other locals might use everyday. Unless they're chumps from down the way. But then nobody out there resisting.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Right...when neighborhood folks go shopping tomorrow, they'll have to choose a new store, in many cases. Likely one that is further away. If the businesses decide to leave, that longer drive or bus-ride will be permanent.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is true yet, but we may get some actually body camera video from this one.

The unrest began several hours after a man fleeing police after a traffic stop was shot and killed. Police said the man was armed, but it wasn't clear whether he was pointing the gun or aiming it at officers. Barrett said the man was hit twice, in the chest and arm. Neither his race nor the officer's was immediately released, nor were they identified.

The shooting was being investigated by the state The officer was wearing a body camera, Barrett said.

At least three people were arrested in an uprising that Barrett said was driven by social media messages instructing people to congregate in the area.

"We have to have calm," Barrett said at the news conference. "There are a lot of really good people who live in this neighborhood."

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   

it kills me as a black male, not American or African living in America Im automatically hijacked and thrown under the same umbrella as people like that.

I think the better approach to reforms and changing and creating laws, or frivolous spending on video equipment is simple; education. a lot of AA living in slums and poverty are boxed in and stacked in a corner and think education is not cool or something that's still a privilege to some.
the most violence riddled black communities are directly proportional to the poor schooling in said areas.

instead, most are institutionalized to think reprisal and grudges and retaliation are solutions to race issues here.
which is why many blacks don't think racistbtripe they spew is not actually racist but justified.

case and point the 'Blm' organization
edit on 14-8-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I wonder how big of a hurry they'll be to reopen that spot.

Jobs ended for some folks tonight. They took their job!

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

it kills me as a black male, not American or African living in America Im automatically hijacked and thrown under the same umbrella as people like that.

I hadn't realized you had been lumped into that lot.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I'm black living in america. I'm an African American.

if I were to be video taping at that scene, or how would you differentiate a level headed black person standing near that lot ? or one against those actions?
you wouldn't. I'd be guilty by association when riot squad arrived.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Anybody on location at any riot any time any where for any reason would be guilted by association.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: carewemust

I wonder how big of a hurry they'll be to reopen that spot.

Jobs ended for some folks tonight. They took their job!

Good point! I hadn't thought of that. And because insurance premiums will increase, in addition to the ongoing tax increases, additional businesses that weren't directly affected by the violence, will relocate, or simply shut down. More jobs lost, and inconveniences added to local residents.

posted on Aug, 14 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Oh dear, the insurance companies...

originally posted by: carewemust
Right...when neighborhood folks go shopping tomorrow, they'll have to choose a new store, in many cases. Likely one that is further away. If the businesses decide to leave, that longer drive or bus-ride will be permanent.

It's also going to screw with peoples commute, locals who utilize that spot to gas up say in the morning on the way to work kind a stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join