It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria conflict: US says Russian air strikes 'indiscriminate'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

All Lies about Russia straight from US led or controlled media.

US caused all of this

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

Yeah...nah...no it didn't.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

2/ Why doesn't Russia target the terrorists in eastern Ukraine

The 'terrorists' in the Ukraine are Russian ethnic. Then you have in govt in Ukraine people from a group called Spovoda in English making up part of the ruling party.

They are ultra nationalists who were loosely aligned with the Nazi party in WW2. They are all for the annihilation of Russians in Ukraine.

So, the eastern Ukrainian people want to rejoin Russia for their own safety and they feel economically they will be better off back with Putin instead part of bankrupt Ukraine.

Putin will not attack his own ethnicity, he supports their separation efforts. I'm not making a call as to the morality of that, but I've just given you a readers digest version of what is up in Ukraine.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

So all Ukrainian speaking people are Nazi's and the poor Russian speaking people are the good guys, sounds easy enough. Why don't they take a short trip and move into Russia? Oh because Putin's proxy war would have to end and he won't get EVERYTHING he wants.

You all get so upset when people call out Russia and think its in defense of US foreign policy, its not. I simply just like to call you out on the hypocrisy.

I'm just scared that now the US and Russia are involved yet again in a small country's civil war.

Russia is attacking non ISIS targets because Putin decided to intervene at the request of Assad because he was losing the civil war. Russia is protecting their interests in Syria which is Assad
edit on 1-10-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Man the Russians could at least be using smart bombs and trying to limit civilian casualties. I know that they have a hard time in those areas but dropping dumb bombs in cities is going drive more support to both the rebels and ISIS. The Russian better home they get some kind of deal fast do they can get out or they are going to find the mess in Ukraine a walk in the park compared to what they creating Syria. I know things are desperate for Assad but, if you can not conduct precision strikes you should not be hitting populated areas.

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I usually dont listen to alex jones stuff but he brings up alot of news in this segment:

posted on Oct, 1 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Russia has said it is targeting Islamic State (IS) and other militant groups but the Syrian opposition and others have suggested rebel factions opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad - the Kremlin's ally - are bearing the brunt of the attacks.

Syria conflict: US says Russian air strikes 'indiscriminate'

OK - so Russia has started its long signaled strikes......but apparently it's not directed solely against IS ....in fact western analysis suggests that none of the strikes are anywhere near ANY IS strongholds (see the map at het article)!!

Russia has itself admitted that it is not just striking IS:

The Russian defence ministry initially said the first wave of strikes targeted only the jihadist group, Islamic State (IS), which controls large parts of Syria and is fighting both government and rebel forces.

The following day, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov clarified that the air campaign was targeting "all terrorists" in Syria, and not just IS. His ministry said a report by the Syrian Civil Defence rescue organisation of 33 civilian deaths on the first day of the air strikes was "false".

But the US and its allies noted that the strikes took place where IS had little or no presence. They instead appeared to be aimed at rebels backed by Gulf Arab and Western states who are advancing on Latakia province - the coastal heartland of Mr Assad's Alawite sect. At least one group that has been armed and trained by the CIA was hit, US officials said.
- source

So - 2 questions immediately arise: Will the west "defend" it's "moderate Syrian allies" against Russian attacks??

And

2/ Why doesn't Russia target the terrorists in eastern Ukraine

The US didn't mind blowing up Iraq and Afghanistan, after they were blamed for something they didn't do, so........

Does the U.S. think they continue meddling and causing destruction in other countries, without eventual retaliation? Did Japan really forget about Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JuJuBee

And your point is what??

That the US is crap so therefore Russia acting the same is not crap??

How does that work??

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

No, I said I'm not commenting on the morality of the Ukraine situation.

Maybe if they had a better government the separatists would lay down their arms and be happy to remain as part of Ukraine.

As a side question would you move from country you and your parents were born in willingly?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Syria conflict: US says Russian air strikes 'indiscriminate' - Well of course they will what do we expect?? do we expect them to be honest or something like that???

Come on, this is a given and they'll keep saying things like this too.

But hay, are we stuipid enough to think their bombing of Iraq cities and Afghan Cities were not indiscriminate???????????

surley we are not as stupid as the US govt takes us for are we??

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I love it..

Russia: '' We are attacking Terrorists ''

USA: '' your attacking the people we support and fund ''

Common sense: '' well duhh! ''

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
A Friendly Reminder

I have removed some posts from this thread and want to explain why. Ad hominem attacks, especially patterns of repeated attacks that constitute trolling, violate the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use and can lead to staff action, as in this case.

Different opinions are always welcome, and it is our goal to ensure that all members, whatever their views may be, can share them without fear of ridicule or retaliation. In particular, accusing any member of being a "shill" or otherwise casting similar aspersions upon them is grounds for account termination, and we do indeed ban for that, so let's please endeavor to avoid making that necessary.

The key to success on ATS is to focus on the topics themselves, recognize the rights of fellow ATSers to hold their own beliefs, debate with courtesy and civility, and alert the staff when someone fails to do so. Nobody's perfect, and we all have our bad days, but good behavior is essential to continued membership.

As always, if anyone should have any questions or concerns about anything I post, please don't hesitate to send me a private message.

Thanks to everyone for your understanding and cooperation.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
www.jewsnews.co.il...

"The Russian Air Force overnight destroyed a terrorist headquarters and arms depot in Syria’s northwestern Idlib region during airstrikes aimed at Islamic State militants."

I wonder if the reason these areas were not targeted by the US means, they were US backed? Or if Russia just has better intelligence. Either way it seems that Putin has done more in a couple of days than the US has in a year.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Of course I would. Economically, socially, and culturally I would make that trip for my family. Thats like me moving out of a crime ridden city to allow my children to have the best life without having to worry walking down the street. Or finding a job in another state. I would move to Canada if it was the right choice for my family

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

All Lies about Russia straight from US led or controlled media.

US caused all of this

Except the US doesn't control the media...unlike Russia.

US caused all of this

Of course they did.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

no - I mean those Nazi's shipped by Russia into Ukraine to destabilize a supposedly friendly state they had previously guaranteed never to invade.

Stop being foolish ... if Russia had invaded Ukraine, they'd be dead by now.

It's still open to question, weather we can trust Russia to do a better job and to support a rebuild of the middle east in a "westernized" manner. I doubt it, with Russia's track record with Iran, India, China, etc.

The only thing the US has done, is bring about chaos and disorder to the middle east. And to throw the people of the middle east, into the hands of irrational religious maniacs, whose only purpose is to have people stupidified. Religion, weather Islam, Buddism, Induism, Christianity or "other" is just another word for "dictatorship". So, this is what the US has done ... it has "pushed" the people INTO dictatorship, that is known to be the worst kind of dictatorship the world has ever, or will ever know. Compared to religion ... Saddam Husein was a virgin mary.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Except the US doesn't control the media...unlike Russia.

You really believe that pile of crap?

Every country in the world, controls the media. It's only a question of weather they give the media some slack, or weather they keep it on a "tight" leash. In the case of Russia, India and China, you might say the government keeps it "muffled".

Thinking otherwise, is being stupid.

And saying that people in China and India are living in a dictatorship is also stupidity. Sure, SOME do ... but the majority of the people in these nations, have the exact government they want. They don't want to hear the "bad" news ... they WANT to hear their country is great ... their leaders are GODS and that they are GODS chosen people ... just like people in the US do.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: mekhanics

How I love it when people decide to do their own creative editing... He is referring to coalition forces and Russian forces engaging each other.

CNN Transcript - CNN Newsroom segment - Daniel Drezner comment on US led ISIS coalition placed into proper context and unedited.

I want to stay on this, bring in another voice, Daniel Drezner. He's an international politics professor at Tufts University and a contributing editor for "The Washington Post."

So, Daniel, thank you so much for being with me.

DANIEL DREZNER, TUFTS UNIVERSITY: Thank you, Brooke.

BALDWIN: You essentially say -- from what I have read from you, you say Vladimir Putin wants Russia to engage in the Middle East. Good luck with that, that there is -- quote -- "no need to get worked up about Russia's Syria policy."

After today, do you still believe that?

DREZNER: I still believe it, with the caveat that I am somewhat worried about the fact that Russia gave such a short time window to U.S. forces and the U.S.-led coalition to get out of Syrian airspace.

I think the biggest risk that comes from Russia's operations in Syria is an accidental conflict or an accidental skirmish with the U.S.-led ISIS coalition. But it's worth remembering that a year ago we were talking about Barack Obama and his decision to actually decide to use airpower in Syria as a way to somehow combat ISIS. And it's a year later, and at the time, it looked like it was an aggressive show of force.

And we know that a year later, it didn't work out terribly well. So, I would say that the question about whether or not Putin's actions in Syria will actually lead to what he wants it to lead to is unclear now. And my hunch is, a year from now, he's probably going to wish that he hadn't gotten involved.

BALDWIN: That's interesting.

Let me follow up with you also were sort of grading the relationship with Obama. You say, oh, the Obama administration gets an F for its handling of Syria and a D for its handling of Vladimir Putin. I'm wondering why you didn't give that an F as well.

DREZNER: Because, as much as Vladimir Putin has been a thorn in the side of the United States, it's also worth pointing out that Russia actually has paid a significant price for some of its actions, particularly with respect to Ukraine.

BALDWIN: You mean sanctions?

DREZNER: It's worth remembering that three or four years ago, Vladimir Putin had a very loyal ally in charge in terms of Ukraine. And now, while he successfully annexed the Crimea and he has some forces in Eastern Ukraine, he also has an implacably opposed Ukrainian government based in Kiev that very, very much wants to be part of Europe and part of NATO.

And, furthermore, the Russian economy has paid a deep price over the last year for its actions in Ukraine. And you can argue in some ways that what Putin is doing now in Syria is potentially a way to distract the Russian population from a combination of its worsening economy and from the fact that its forces are bogged down in Eastern Ukraine.

BALDWIN: Professor Daniel Drezner, thank you so much.

Ahead, we're staying on this, this major development here, the fact that Russia has apparently targeted Syrian rebels, not ISIS, Syrian rebels, in these new airstrikes today. We will speak live with a former U.S. ambassador to Syria about what it means for those on the ground.

Yes there is a US led coalition to deal with ISIS, as the remainder of his comment bears out. I fail to understand why people would edit/omit what was said in order to push an agenda. It smacks of desperation and ignorance. He did not state tat the US was working with ISIS.. Care to apologize for posting inaccurate information?

Back to the main topic -

Russia is using dumb bombs yet they claim they aren't killing civilians? Russia's stance on civilian deaths is a joke considering their history, up to and including their actions in Ukraine, Georgia, Chechnya, Afghanistan, etc. If the Syrian people love Assad why did they abandon him? Why is Assad close to losing power?

Do we honestly think Russia is going to leave when things stabilize (which is not going to happen considering people in the ME love Russia as much as they love the US). Russia just opened the door for Chechnya / Dagestan round 3. They are beefing up a Russian military presence on the Afghanistan Tajikistan border as they have extremists coming in the back door.

This is another Putin blunder that will blow up in his face.
edit on 3-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

What previous blunders has Putin had that have blown up in his face? America has Iraq, Libya and Syria unless Putin can stabilize the situation but I can't think of any situation that has blown up in Putin's face as you claim.

edit on 3-10-2015 by Danton because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join