It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northrop Grumman announces fighter bid

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: yuppa
Hmm a YF-24 looks like a f-14 but stealthier. Sweep wings would allow supercruise or supersonic and give it a variable RCS profile. also giving it two pratt and whitneys and the ability to carry redesigned pheonix missiles with enhanced manuverability and you might have a worthy replacement for the heavy fighter. Ive always wanted to actually see someone design multi warhead missiles. Imagine that in a BVR missile. one radar contact turns into 7 at one time. Juke? flare? or eject? lol.

Thats the Macross Missile Massacre:

tvtropes.org...

AH yes,but we are to a point where missile tech is catching up to that. With indepedently targeting warheads imagine the havoc you could cause in all arenas of combat.

@mystic mushroom. That would had been the yf-23 black widow

@zaphod. If th e bigger picture is to confuse the enemies of the US air force yes. If this craft is real maybe a combination of these craft combined.

@stormbringer. THATS MY KINDA MISSILE. Reminds me of tony starks missile demonstration

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

Hmm a YF-24 looks like a f-14 but stealthier. Sweep wings would allow supercruise or supersonic and give it a variable RCS profile. also giving it two pratt and whitneys and the ability to carry redesigned pheonix missiles with enhanced manuverability and you might have a worthy replacement for the heavy fighter. Ive always wanted to actually see someone design multi warhead missiles. Imagine that in a BVR missile. one radar contact turns into 7 at one time. Juke? flare? or eject? lol.

Thats the Macross Missile Massacre:

tvtropes.org...

AH yes,but we are to a point where missile tech is catching up to that. With indepedently targeting warheads imagine the havoc you could cause in all arenas of combat.

@mystic mushroom. That would had been the yf-23 black widow

@zaphod. If th e bigger picture is to confuse the enemies of the US air force yes. If this craft is real maybe a combination of these craft combined.

@stormbringer. THATS MY KINDA MISSILE. Reminds me of tony starks missile demonstration

www.army-technology.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

That was actually the Boeing Model 24.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You guys need to stop and think about this for a minute. There's something really important being overlooked.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The retractable canard or is it some sort of flexible/morphing strake?

Taken from here:
ntrs.nasa.gov...=23&zoom=auto,-13,405

Aside from this alleged elusive pic that everyone had stored on their OLD hardrives- (taken by a Boomer goes the tale ?) I am struggling for any info- Giz a clue.

edit on 26-1-2015 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Absolutely nothing to do with the YF-24. Northrop related.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

He also hinted that making a system optionally manned would be relatively easy for the company.

6th generation aircraft will be unmanned...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

is the project the yf-24?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Could this be someting they are going for NeXT?

In the latest issue of the US Air Force’s Air and Space Power Journal, Col Michael Pietrucha, a veteran Boeing F-15E Strike Eagle pilot, argues for a new generation of lightweight fighters. But there is a catch, unlike the conventional conception of what most would visualize as a fighter, Pietrucha argues for a small unmanned combat aircraft, not to replace fifth-generation stealth fighters like the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor or the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, but to act as a force multiplier. - See more at: www.flightglobal.com...

It will be force multiplier not a actuall fighter.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

While Vice may be confident in his program, outside analysts have questioned whether Northrop can survive long-term as an attack airframe manufacturer, especially if it loses out on the Air Force's Long Range Strike-Bomber program.

...we have a winner?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CiTrus90

Would you spend this kind of money on a program at least three years away if you thought you were getting something big soon?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

That is freaking cool. I found the weapon you were talking about. Its not a hornet though lol.

WASP missile

@zaphod. I see JP morgan is involved with them.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Well, nope

I have to say that it would be quite the interesting outcome. Wasn't the NG bird the one that got grounded for tech issues last year?

Even if that's interesting, it wouldn't come as a surprise though: i'm sure NG has the upper hand in the "flying wing bombers" sector

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

That's what killed em. It's not official yet but traditionally when one competitor suddenly announced something new they went on to lose.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

That's what killed em. It's not official yet but traditionally when one competitor suddenly announced something new they went on to lose.

I thought that the LRS is a "system" of multiple aircraft. Astr0, whatever his reliability, suggested 4.

Are they going to give everything to one contractor?
edit on 26-1-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: justwanttofly

And how fast it would get shot down in a modern IADS threat environment.

With updated avionics and weapons systems?

That was a quick reply to shoot down my suggestion of bringing back the F-14, or a new generation based on a similar air frame.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

This is the LRS-B. The LRS family includes all current bombers in inventory.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The F-14 really wasn't a great airframe, and would be hard to make stealthy. It was great for the mission, which, like the F-15, was to haul a huge radar and long range missiles around, but as usual they added too much on to it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The F-14 was good for it's mission and time, but the emerging IADS will make quick work of any 4th gen aircraft out there. It would still be at a disadvantage even if you equipped it with new avionics and weapons systems like an AESA radar and AMRAAMs.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Wasn't taken by boomer at least not the one I saw, it got leaked a while back on the internet but I haven't seen much about it since.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join