It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A second Health care worker in Dallas diagnosed with Ebola

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I just heard this on ABC radio, twice.
I did a google search and found nothing.
I know what I heard.
I am looking for confirmation, but finding nothing yet.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy
Ok.
It is on CNN now.
Link

A second health care worker at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital who provided care for Thomas Eric Duncan has tested positive for Ebola, the state Department of Health said Wednesday.
The worker reported a fever Tuesday and was immediately isolated, hospital spokeswoman Carrie Williams said.
The facility will now begin monitoring all those who had contact with the unidentified worker for signs of potential exposures.
The preliminary Ebola test was done late Tuesday at the state public health laboratory in Austin, and results received around midnight.
A second test will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

edit on b000000312014-10-15T04:15:26-05:0004America/ChicagoWed, 15 Oct 2014 04:15:26 -0500400000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

It's breaking news on FOX but there wasn't a story yet when I saw it

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
This is just more ebola madness bs. Ebola has been deemed unworthy of concern and discussion at ATS.

Nobody I know has it so nothing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
A similar thread has the exact same time stamp, haven't seen that before. Nobody is "first". Cool. Here's what I wrote there:

So as this spreads there will be many doctors and nurses, janitors, people who draw or test body fluids, intake personnel in emergency rooms, and dozens of other jobs who will outright refuse to be in the vicinity or treat ebola patients. Maybe if they changed the name of Ebola to something less frightening....Koala?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
The CNN article is placing the blame on 'no' protocol for gear at the hospital.
Get this.. the nurses necks were exposed.

Here's a look at some of the allegations the nurses made, according to the union:
Claim: Duncan wasn't immediately isolated
On the day that Duncan was admitted to the hospital with possible Ebola symptoms, he was "left for several hours, not in isolation, in an area where other patients were present," union co-president Deborah Burger said.
Up to seven other patients were present in that area, the nurses said, according to the union.
A nursing supervisor faced resistance from hospital authorities when the supervisor demanded that Duncan be moved to an isolation unit, the nurses said, according to the union.
Claim: The nurses' protective gear left their necks exposed
After expressing concerns that their necks were exposed even as they wore protective gear, the nurses were told to wrap their necks with medical tape, the union says.
"They were told to use medical tape and had to use four to five pieces of medical tape wound around their neck. The nurses have expressed a lot of concern about how difficult it is to remove the tape from their neck," Burger said.
Claim: At one point, hazardous waste piled up
"There was no one to pick up hazardous waste as it piled to the ceiling," Burger said. "They did not have access to proper supplies."
Claim: Nurses got no "hands-on" training
"There was no mandate for nurses to attend training," Burger said, though they did receive an e-mail about a hospital seminar on Ebola.
"This was treated like hundreds of other seminars that were routinely offered to staff," she said.
Claim: The nurses "feel unsupported"
So why did the group of nurses -- the union wouldn't say how many -- contact the nursing union, which they don't belong to?
According to DeMoro, the nurses were upset after authorities appeared to blame nurse Pham, who has contracted Ebola, for not following protocols.
"This nurse was being blamed for not following protocols that did not exist. ... The nurses in that hospital were very angry, and they decided to contact us," DeMoro said.
And they're worried conditions at the hospital "may lead to infection of other nurses and patients," Burger said.
A hospital spokesman did not respond to the specific allegations, but said patient and employee safety is the hospital's top priority.
"We take compliance very seriously. We have numerous measures in place to provide a safe working environment, including mandatory annual training and a 24-7 hotline and other mechanisms that allow for anonymous reporting," hospital spokesman Wendell Watson said.
The Dallas mayor declined to comment on the accusations against the hospital.
"I don't comment on anonymous allegations," Mike Rawlings said.
But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a statement following the union's claims.
"For health care workers in Dallas and elsewhere, the Ebola situation is extremely difficult," CDC spokeman Tom Skinner wrote.
"The CDC is committed to their safety, and we'll continue to do everything possible to make sure they have what they need so they can prepare to safely manage Ebola patients."

CNN
edit on bu312014-10-15T04:23:14-05:0004America/ChicagoWed, 15 Oct 2014 04:23:14 -05004u14 by butcherguy because: to add.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Just woke up and saw the news alert from CNN

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Horrible. How many of the 70 will end up with it?

What a colossal jack up. I don't trust any thing the "experts" say after this fiasco.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I went to CNN and read the story.
According to the Nursing Staff they haven't received proper training in handling an ebola patient.
I find it concerning that experienced personnel or properly trained personnel were not sought to take care of Mr Duncan. Makes me wonder if any hospital is truly prepared to handle a disease of that proportion.
I live about 120 or so miles away from Dallas and I don't mind telling you --- I'm getting a bit nervous over this!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
If it's true that none of Duncun's early contacts got Ebola, then it makes me wonder if it only becomes highly contagious in the late stages....or maybe it does become airborne towards the end.
He had a fever the first time he went to the hospital, and was extremely ill when the ambulance picked him up. I would have expected a whole lot more cases from those who had contact with him in the earlier stages, and far less chance of hospital personal getting it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I read that. Crappy news to wake up to. I'm tired of them blaming the nurses. I said it before, I'll say it again, THEY ARE MISSING SOMETHING, SOMETHING IMPORTANT!!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

TY for the thread OP S&F

Maybe as a poster stated above, as time progresses in the ebola patient, maybe it does go airborn?? Who the heck knows at this point?? Even the experts no longer know...IMO....

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Hopefully this isn't a trend we start seeing here. 2 more infected for every one who shows up at a hospital.

Has anyone heard anything about Duncan's girlfriend's family? I haven't heard anything new in the past week.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
If it's true that none of Duncun's early contacts got Ebola, then it makes me wonder if it only becomes highly contagious in the late stages....or maybe it does become airborne towards the end.
He had a fever the first time he went to the hospital, and was extremely ill when the ambulance picked him up. I would have expected a whole lot more cases from those who had contact with him in the earlier stages, and far less chance of hospital personal getting it.

An interesting theory, and if the Duncan family doesn't get it, or the ambulance personnel, then maybe this surmise has substance. It also makes sense because I've been surprised that not more people in Africa have it, as it's loose in some of the major cities.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Yes, I think the virus starts shedding a whole lot more in the later stages, when the host body starts to die. The virus leaves in droves, looking for a new host. While the infected person may still be contagious in the earlier stages (fever), the virus is content to mostly stick around, because the host is still good.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Hopefully this isn't a trend we start seeing here. 2 more infected for every one who shows up at a hospital.

Has anyone heard anything about Duncan's girlfriend's family? I haven't heard anything new in the past week.

Yes, none were showing signs or symptoms and are due to be released from quarentean this coming Monday. Heard it on CNN last night....sorry no link, just woke up.....odd that....starting to think it's more contagious in the later stages, or last stage......

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

What a colossal jack up. I don't trust any thing the "experts" say after this fiasco.

They upped this to 76 healthcare workers who took care of Duncan before he died! This is truly frightening. What do we Dallas residents do?
edit on 15-10-2014 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

They upped this to 76 healthcare workers who took care of Duncan before he died! This is truly frightening. What do we Dallas residents do?

Not too sure, but here's an interesting story. Had a friend that's daughter broke her hand last night, they told her NOT to come into the hospital, & they opened up a CLOSED DOCTORS office, well after hours, to treat her. I find this VERY INTERESTING.....This happened late last night here in south jersey.....never
Been turned away from the hospitals before, especially with a child with a broken hand. Then the doc goes back to his office AFTER HOURS???? Very very interesting.....

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: j.r.c.b.

originally posted by: texasgirl

Not too sure, but here's an interesting story. Had a friend that's daughter broke her hand last night, they told her NOT to come into the hospital, & they opened up a CLOSED DOCTORS office, well after hours, to treat her. I find this VERY INTERESTING.....This happened late last night here in south jersey.....never
Been turned away from the hospitals before, especially with a child with a broken hand. Then the doc goes back to his office AFTER HOURS???? Very very interesting.....

Good grief! Are there cases in Jersey that we don't know about?

They had an interview with a New York City doctor who bragged that NYC would handle this better, as they were much better than Dallas. You just wait, sir...

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl
At least this was probably one of the people already in isolation, and in the earlier stages, which as many are pointing out may be the less contagious stages. There is that.

a reply to: j.r.c.b.
How old a child? This might have more to do with the enterovirus, D-68, in South Jersey than with ebola.
edit on 10/15/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join