It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA To Evaluate Marijuana For Potential Reclassification As Less Dangerous Drug

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
So what will the cigarette companies add to the pot once it's legal ,Nicotine?

Probably. Unfortunately just like they did with cigarettes, cigarette companies will try to take advantage of the legalization of such drugs while claiming "it is safe".

I am not saying cigarettes should be illegal, however people who smoke cigarettes should also be responsible, such as not smoking in front of children even outdoors.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

O boy the classic

"THINK OF THE CHILDERN!!1!1!!!!!!" argument

Sheesh

Don’t you think if they legalised Mj they would put a age restriction on it?

The kids that break the age restriction would still get even if MJ had the death penalty attached

Well, I'll rather "think of the children" than think on people's selfishness who want to make illegal drugs legal...

One thing is if you have a "true medical condition" and another thing entirely different is wanting to make such drugs legal because you are nothing but a selfish person who wants complete access to such illegal drugs even if it means children and young adults will be able to more easily get these drugs...

Kids would be kids... If they want to kids can also use common household products to get high... Parents should be responsible to keep those products out of the reach of their children. However just because children can use household products doesn't mean either that "other drugs" should then be available to them... (and I know that people like you would probably try to use that argument as well...)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Dude, any kids with a half decent allowance or a paper route can easily stay stoned. The classification of the substance won't change that.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Oh and your ideas about "drug dealers" are so off the mark I don't know where to begin... but maybe don't get your info from a Lifetime movie?

Maybe some "professional" drug dealers try to hook people in the lurid method you describe... but the majority of drug movement is done by regular old recreational users trying to pay for their own use... in very small amounts.

Heck, most dealers don;t have to tempt or hook anyone... they are quite busy with no coupons or advertising.

Every single recreational user has done this type of "dealing" and while they don't think of themselves as a "drug dealer"... well... anyway, the standard evil drug pusher likely exists, but not nearly in the numbers people think they do.

It's mostly David across the street, or Lisa in Science class... hardly nefarious personalities.

Just wanted to correct that notion. Heck, an evil drug dealer might be downstairs watching TV in your home RIGHT NOW!

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Why is that some people find it necessary to impose their paranoia on everyone else by enforcing or supporting outdated draconian laws?

As a long time "fan" of mj I can tell you that if you are curious or need some more, you can find it very easily, pretty much anywhere you find yourself in the world.

So legalizing is not going to suddenly, finally allow people acess to this wonderful herb.
Legalizing will only allow all if those that already enjoy mj the freedom to do so and not be lumped into a higher scheduled draconian "drug" law scam.
Mj is not a drug. Cocaine is a drug.
Mj is a wonderful way to experience god.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Dude, any kids with a half decent allowance or a paper route can easily stay stoned. The classification of the substance won't change that.

Oh, so just because they can it should be even easier for kids to have access to these drugs?...

I am aware of the availability of drugs in Cuba, the U.S and in Europe (the places I have lived in...
I saw first hand what happens to children, young adults, and adults who have access to such drugs...

None of your arguments make sense. Just because there are kids who can easily access them doesn't mean it should be made even easier for them to acquire them...

Using your argument we could say that because there are criminals who get away with their crimes, and even many of those who get caught continue their criminal careers then all crimes should be legalized?... Because that seems to be the logic that you are using in your argument of making illegal drugs legal.

edit on 28-6-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Oh, so just because they can it should be even easier for kids to have access to these drugs?...

Easier? It CAN'T be easier. They have direct access to these drugs. It's like, "drugs = just add money." Should it be different? I would hope so but it isn't. Any classification of this won't change these facts.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Using your argument we could say that because there are criminals who get away with their crimes, and even many of those who get caught continue their criminal careers then all crimes should be legalized?...

That's an overly pedantic and juvenile argument.

Because that seems to be the logic that you are using in your argument of making illegal drugs legal.

Slavery used to be legal. What's your point?

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Too bad anyone can grow their own, anywhere, in almost any climate.

Which makes it tough for Tobacco companies to "own" the market.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
Which makes it tough for Tobacco companies to "own" the market.

Big lobby but the wrong one imo. It's Big Pharm that's threatened by this imo.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I agree. The more I have learned about the real world applications that are being found for it, the clearer it becomes as a major threat to displace prescription profits that won't be strictly needed for every thing imaginable anymore.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
a reply to: intrepid

I agree. The more I have learned about the real world applications that are being found for it, the clearer it becomes as a major threat to displace prescription profits that won't be strictly needed for every thing imaginable anymore.

Can you imagine Phizer's CEO about now?

Maybe they can get on that cancer cure now.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

No one suggesting complete access to kids.

Hence age restrictions and heavy penatlys for anyone selling to kids.

As you mentioned other house hold chems can kill kids so ban them? Ban guns too?

Sorry you cant protect kids from everything and hide behind that stupid excuse.

Keeping mj illegal not stopping kids getting MJ.

Least if its sold legaly from regulated establishment strict ID and age restrictions can be better enforced.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

BS kids wont be buying from shops that sell legal mj if there a age restriction and IDs are enforced!

As for the argument of legilising all crime? Rubbish.

Consenting Adults useing drugs is a stupid crime,

To me a real crimes has to involve a unconsenting action.

Its called personal responsibility,

edit on 28-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

The question you should be asking yourself is this... Why would the government want to legalize mj now? Do you really think they would be doing it for the "good of the people" or is it more in par to the fact that people who use frequently mj are more easily manipulated, and are more prone to make life changing decisions while impaired?

Um, do you have scientific evidence to substantiate your claims?

Yeah, didn't think so. Ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Oh and your ideas about "drug dealers" are so off the mark I don't know where to begin... but maybe don't get your info from a Lifetime movie?

Maybe some "professional" drug dealers try to hook people in the lurid method you describe... but the majority of drug movement is done by regular old recreational users trying to pay for their own use... in very small amounts.

Not really, what I described I saw first hand either in school, or college. My friends and myself were offered such drugs and we always declined and moved away. The lure trap doesn't change...ever... Drug dealers, even mj drug dealers might find and use new ways to lure people into trying their drugs for free, but it always has been to hook people and to expand their businesses. BTW, I wasn't talking just about mj but all the illicit drugs.

As for your claim that I am paranoid... please... You can be drug a dealer if you want, but don't try to justify your selfish actions and try to tell me that I am "paranoid"...

Your attempt at calling me paranoid will not change the fact of what drug dealers are...

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: FinalCountdown

Why is that some people find it necessary to impose their paranoia on everyone else by enforcing or supporting outdated draconian laws?

Wow, another one trying to call me paranoid... I find it interesting how every time those who partake in the addiction of substances like mj they try to claim everyone else who doesn't "it's just paranoid", or use some other description to try to shame people into accepting this addiction... Yeah, the problem is not with your addiction, the problem is everyone else without the addiction huh?...

BTW, in case you didn't know you are living in a society and society does need laws. There are laws that overstretch and are draconian but there are others which are needed.

As a long time "fan" of mj I can tell you that if you are curious or need some more, you can find it very easily, pretty much anywhere you find yourself in the world.

And you've got to wonder why people are more dumbed down now than ever... it isn't just your tv programming, and it isn't just the lower and lower standards of education. Recreational drugs also play a big part in the dumbing down process of people... Heck, why do you think now apparently the EPA wants to legalize it?... You think they just want you to feel good?... lol...

Mj is not a drug. Cocaine is a drug.
Mj is a wonderful way to experience god.

MJ is a drug, and if you need a substance like mj to "experience God" you are really trying to find religion the wrong way... I would say for the most part that claim is just an excuse to justify the use of a drug.

edit on 28-6-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Um, do you have scientific evidence to substantiate your claims?

Yeah, didn't think so. Ridiculous.

Wow, so you ask a question and immediately respond to it yourself without doing any research?... hum...

Marijuana use impairs a person's ability to form new memories (see below) and to shift focus. THC also disrupts coordination and balance by binding to receptors in the cerebellum and basal ganglia—parts of the brain that regulate balance, posture, coordination, and reaction time. Therefore, learning, doing complicated tasks, participating in athletics, and driving are also affected.

Marijuana users who have taken large doses of the drug may experience an acute psychosis, which includes hallucinations, delusions, and a loss of the sense of personal identity. Short-term psychotic reactions to high concentrations of THC are distinct from longer-lasting, schizophrenia-like disorders that have been associated with the use of cannabis in vulnerable individuals. (See "Is There a Link Between Marijuana Use and Mental Illness?")
Consequences of Marijuana Abuse

Acute (present during intoxication)
Impairs short-term memory
Impairs attention, judgment, and other cognitive functions
Impairs coordination and balance

Increases heart rate
Psychotic episodes

Persistent (lasting longer than intoxication, but may not be permanent)
Impairs memory and learning skills
Sleep impairment

Long-term (cumulative effects of chronic abuse)
Can lead to addiction
Increases risk of chronic cough, bronchitis
Increases risk of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals
May increase risk of anxiety, depression, and amotivational syndrome*

www.drugabuse.gov...

Maybe you should think about it again.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

That's an overly pedantic and juvenile argument.

Slavery used to be legal. What's your point?

Humm...wow, even when I try my hardest not to respond to people in kind with insults certain people do it anyways...

Slavery is completely different from discussing illegal drugs and crime... Slavery is the believe by certain people that they can, or could own others.

I really have to wonder how can you even try to imply that illegal drugs are somehow related to slaves/slavery...

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Where the heck did I say paranoid? Wait... are you a user??

Now I'm kidding, but not about calling you anything... except "mistaken"... and you mostly are "mistaken"... that's all.

And boy, back in the day I would have given my pinky to have drug pushers pushing free samples on me... doesn't happen.

There are exceptions to everything, so maybe it did happen to you... no matter... it isn't usual and even if it was it changes nothing. The laws cause more harm than good.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join