It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA To Evaluate Marijuana For Potential Reclassification As Less Dangerous Drug

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: butcherguy

Its essentially the same argument used for abortion: its your body, your control.

We employ logic selectively, don't we?

And, the same as with abortion (or any other "do with your body" type things), i don't condone partaking. I only condone you have a choice.

That is exactly how I stand on it.
I say stand, because I feel differently.... but emotion and logic are not good partners. I feel that I don't want a person to use a substance that is potentially dangerous, but who am I to tell them what to do with their own body?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Or to tell anyone that they have to like cats?

LOL

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Me thinks this time it will change and I predict rapidly. The push to change classification has more to do with the banks apprehension to touch the money and the potential tax benefit. As the saying goes, "money talks".

The question is, does the need to reclassify marijuana so banks will accept money from state legalized selling offset the billions in black project spending from the smuggling of marijuana by our own spooks?

The issue is the current revenue issue in states that have already legalized it. For the businesses who grow or sell the product, there is nowhere to stash the money safely. If crooks know you can't bank it, than they'll come looking for it. There is WAY to much money floating around Colorado and Washington. The classification will change IMHO. As I said, money talks.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I just wish my own country would be so enlightened.

Normally the UK been ahead of the US on rights. But not on this.

For some reason when it comes to cannabis my country's politicians have a huge stick up there arse about it.

Well it was America who forced the rest of the world to criminalize it in the first place so if America loosens its criminalization on marijuana, that is the cue for the rest of the world to follow suit.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Me thinks this time it will change and I predict rapidly. The push to change classification has more to do with the banks apprehension to touch the money and the potential tax benefit. As the saying goes, "money talks".

The question is, does the need to reclassify marijuana so banks will accept money from state legalized selling offset the billions in black project spending from the smuggling of marijuana by our own spooks?

The issue is the current revenue issue in states that have already legalized it. For the businesses who grow or sell the product, there is nowhere to stash the money safely. If crooks know you can't bank it, than they'll come looking for it. There is WAY to much money floating around Colorado and Washington. The classification will change IMHO. As I said, money talks.

This is the real issue: the money is already there. Legalization will just move the cash from the black to the regular budgets.

"The CIA runs the global drug trade". This quote, or a paraphrase of it, has been said by enough folks that I care not to list them all out. I have talked about Mayan Express/Mayan Jaguar a little bit lately. That is only 1 operation.

Fast and Furious was an operation to seize supreme control of the Mexican land of Cartels.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well it was America who forced the rest of the world to criminalize it in the first place so if America loosens its criminalization on marijuana, that is the cue for the rest of the world to follow suit.

Maybe. I hope.

I know a few people including myself who would like to get of the long term codeine painkillers I have been dumped on by the doctors.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Or to tell anyone that they have to like cats?

LOL

Yep.
I will never do that!

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yes. I feel for you, it's such a crime that pills like codeine and other addicting crap are legal and pushed onto the public as pain medication, while marijuana would be a great substitute and isn't addictive.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Well I would not say entirely not addictive. Think its still 1 in 25. But its a dammed lot better than opiates and the withdrawal is a lot easier

And it is really dumb that in the UK you can buy codeine/ Paracetamol over the counter at pharmacy's without prescription. I know 2 codeine addicts from that route.One has even messed his liver up from it. But cannabis? EVIL.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Most people rightly believe that they should be able to do whatever they want as long as they're not harming others.

You'd think that as a society, we would have learned from the failed experiment in alcohol prohibition that at the end of the day, people will disobey laws regarding intoxicating substances.

Prohibition only does two things well:

- It makes criminals, in the eyes of the law, out of ordinary people.
- It creates a new source of profits for the real criminals in society.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I still say that there is a reason why even Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac is here.

It was given to us for a reason.

What that reason is????? I haven't the slightest.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

I agree.
Just like honeybees, they may sting, but where would we be without them?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Well I would not say entirely not addictive. Think its still 1 in 25. But its a dammed lot better than opiates and the withdrawal is a lot easier

And it is really dumb that in the UK you can buy codeine/ Paracetamol over the counter at pharmacy's without prescription. I know 2 codeine addicts from that route.One has even messed his liver up from it. But cannabis? EVIL.

I know a few pill addicts, one who started out taking percocet then when those didn't work anymore, moved onto heroin. We recently buried him a few weeks ago from his 3rd OD.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Even if Cannabis was as addictive as Opiates.

The fact is you wont destroy your organs and OD on Cannabis. Opiates are toxic.

There is a HUGE margin of error for cannabis compared to other painkillers.
edit on 27-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Even if Cannabis was as addictive as Opiates.

The fact is you wont destroy your organs and OD on Cannabis. Opiates are toxic.

There is a HUGE margin of error for cannabis compared to other painkillers.

Exactly:

Prescription Drug Overdose in the United States: Fact Sheet

-In 2010, of the 38,329 drug overdose deaths in the United States, 22,134 (60%) were related to pharmaceuticals.6

-Of the 22,134 deaths relating to prescription drug overdose in 2010, 16,651 (75%) involved opioid analgesics (also called opioid pain relievers or prescription painkillers), and 6,497 (30%) involved benzodiazepines.6

-In 2011, about 1.4 million ED visits involved the nonmedical use of pharmaceuticals. Among those ED visits, 501,207 visits were related to anti-anxiety and insomnia medications, and 420,040 visits were related to opioid analgesics.2

-Benzodiazepines are frequently found among people treated in EDs for misusing or abusing drugs.2 People who died of drug overdoses often had a combination of benzodiazepines and opioid analgesics in their bodies.6

Yet these pills remain legal and the government insists that there is no medical benefit to marijuana.
edit on 27-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

edit on 27-6-2014 by occrest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Actually I believe it is the FDA reviewing themselves and not drugs.
They are starting to figure out the WORLD is viewing them as a bullspit organization.
After all if they were the benevolent organization they SHOULD have been, this wholly natural plant would have NEVER been classified as anything harder than water.
People have died from consuming water, the same cannot be said of the Goddesses favorite plant.
The FDA is simply backpedalling.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: macman

I agree.
Just like honeybees, they may sting, but where would we be without them?

No matter how great or small, all living things....and not so living provide balance in some way shape or form.
One of the STAR TREK movies a couple or few decades back illustrated this point.
BALANCE.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Good point. I had to explain that to my dad the other day for cockroaches and mosquitoes. They may be nasty or harmful to us, but that doesn't mean they don't provide some sort of natural benefit to their environment, even if they exist to be food for bats.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

As soon as monsanto got into the game recently, I knew the fight was over.

Monsanto has stayed out of the hemp/cannabis industry for one reason: there was no profit in it due to regulation.

The ONLY reason a company like monsanto jumps in now is because they see the writing on the wall and want a piece of the pie.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join