It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA To Evaluate Marijuana For Potential Reclassification As Less Dangerous Drug

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
FDA To Evaluate Marijuana For Potential Reclassification As Less Dangerous Drug

The Food and Drug Administration is reviewing the medical evidence surrounding the safety and effectiveness of marijuana, a process that could lead to the agency downgrading the drug's current status as a Schedule I drug, the most dangerous classification.

The march to legalization is growing nearer and nearer. Now the FDA is reevaluating its classification of marijuana from a schedule 1 drug. A schedule 1 drug, for those who are unaware, is considered to be the most dangerous drug with no medical benefit and maximum addiction potential. Here is a link to the various drug schedules from the DEA website:
Drug Schedules

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide ('___'), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

This is good news. Now this doesn't mean that the drug is suddenly less illegal, but well let's let Huffington Post explain:

The U.S. has five "schedules" for drugs or chemicals that can be used to make drugs. Schedule I is reserved for drugs that the DEA considers to have the highest potential for abuse and no "current accepted medical use." Marijuana has been classified as Schedule I for decades, along with other substances like heroin and '___'. Rescheduling marijuana would not make it legal, but a lower schedule could potentially ease restrictions on research into the drug and make banks less wary of offering financial services to state-legal marijuana businesses. It could also allow those businesses to make some traditional tax deductions.

There are 8 factors that the FDA has to consider during this process which are listed below:

1) Its actual or relative potential for abuse
2) Scientific evidence of its pharmacological effect, if known
3) The state of current scientific knowledge regarding the drug or other substance
4) Its history and current pattern of abuse
5) The scope, duration, and significance of abuse
6) What, if any, risk there is to the public health
7) Its psychic or physiological dependence liability
8) Whether the substance is an immediate precursor of a substance already controlled under this subchapter

It will be interesting to see what the FDA decides. Of course anyone who pays attention to this ongoing debate will know that the FDA SHOULD lower the schedule rating, but we all know that what the government SHOULD do and what it ACTUALLY does are usually two different things.

It should be noted that there have been two other times where the FDA was asked to review marijuana's scheduling status. I'm sure you guys can figure out what they ruled.

This isn't the first time the DEA has asked the FDA to reconsider marijuana, Throckmorton said Friday. In 2001 and 2006, the DEA requested an analysis of the drug after receiving other public petitions requesting that the agency reschedule it. But both times, federal regulators determined that marijuana should remain a Schedule I substance. At the time, the FDA said there simply wasn't enough research about marijuana's efficacy in treating various ailments.

Case in point below. Though as you can see, maybe there will be a new decision this time. Marijuana legalization support is growing faster and faster. More and more research is coming out that shows that it is not only harmless, but has MANY medical benefits. Every time the FDA rules against rescheduling marijuana, they are clearly being controlled by vested interests wanting to keep the plant illegal.

Federal authorities have long been accused of only funding marijuana research that focuses on the potential negative effects of the substance. The DEA has also been accused of not acting quickly enough when petitioned to reschedule marijuana, and for obstructing science around the drug.

Meanwhile, a number of recent studies have added to the growing body of research showing the medical potential of cannabis. Purified forms may attack some forms of aggressive cancer. Studies have tied marijuana use to blood sugar control and slowing the spread of HIV. One study found that legalization of the plant for medical purposes may even lead to lower suicide rates.

This is a BIG step towards legalization. If the fed reduces the danger level of marijuana, it opens up so many doors towards federal decriminalization then medical marijuana then finally full on recreational use. It's time that the federal government recognizes that the majority of the population WANTS marijuana to be legal and knows that it is a harmless plant (it certainly doesn't deserve to be a schedule 1 drug, which by the way is higher than coc aine).
edit on 27-6-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Good news. How long will it take them to render their opinion? And even if they stay with the status quo I would think Obama could reschedule the substance before he leaves office, which I think is in his authority.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

If the President makes up more law as he goes....it won't mean squat unless the next President agrees with him 100% and without dissent. (He ought to be learning this from the Super Court...but Obama is a slow slow learner)

The first thing every President does is put every action of the last one under immediate review for reform or outright removal.

If this is to be done, (and the FDA sure is moving the right direction) the United States allows just *ONE* way to change federal law. Not interpret it...as the President does like a sport..but CHANGE it, so someone else can't change it right back later on a whim.

It'll take Congress..and it means we'll likely need better men on both sides than we have now. This Congress couldn't work together to make a lunch order, let alone meaningful changes in long standing law, IMO.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Well from the article:

The FDA could not confirm how long the review process would take.

So your guess is as good as mine. Though considering it's the government, and the federal level at that, I imagine that it won't be quick.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

About time.

Logical thinking shows that Marijuana is a naturally occurring substance, with medical properties behind it.
Any side of thinking, both scientific atheist and devote christian should see that since it is naturally occurring, whether it be evolution, mother earth or God that bestowed it upon the earth, it is here for a reason.

And, an Libertarian should be behind this, as people should have the ability to put what ever they want into their body, without the Govt stepping in to control yet another aspect of life.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

With the exception of heroin, and probably quaaludes,
ALL of the schedule 1 (that you listed, at least), are very low in danger and very high in psychotherapy and spiritual/shamanic roles.

Kinda makes more sense why its all scheduled so high on the list once you read between the lies.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
They should ask the Dutch for all this info and stop wasting time...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Psykotik

indeed.

There is a vested interest between the lines.
edit on 27-6-2014 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Psykotik

Yes, not to mention the biggest tell of all of this is that Cocaine is a schedule 2 drug while marijuana is a schedule 1 drug. In other words, the government is saying that marijuana is more dangerous and less medically beneficial than coc aine.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly
They should ask the Dutch for all this info and stop wasting time...

Or Portugal.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: macman
I am a libertarian, so I am against putting people in jail because they use/abuse substances....tobacco, what have you.

But, when I see this particular argument used,

Any side of thinking, both scientific atheist and devote christian should see that since it is naturally occurring, whether it be evolution, mother earth or God that bestowed it upon the earth, it is here for a reason.

I want to tell the person using it to try rolling in poison ivy and let me know how good that natural substance is for their skin.
I do not advocate anyone using/abusing any particular substance, but I believe it is wrong to put someone behind bars for what they choose to do to their own body.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I'm wondering why it was ever a schedule 1 drug???

This is a step in the right direction. I'm as conservative as they come and I'm all for decriminalization of marijuana. It's ridiculous to be locked up for exercising your free will and harming no one.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
A tentative step in the right direction, but disappointing if I understand the article. So it's up for review to move it from "as dangerous as heroin" to " only as dangerous as coke and meth"? I think FDA is more worried about the danger mj might pose to the profitability of Rx pills and booze...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I just wish my own country would be so enlightened.

Normally the UK been ahead of the US on rights. But not on this.

For some reason when it comes to cannabis my country's politicians have a huge stick up there arse about it.
edit on 27-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

THAT'S RICH!!

Ever heard of taxation without representation, the Boston......oh, nevermind.
edit on 27-6-2014 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: seabag

I'm wondering why it was ever a schedule 1 drug???

This is a step in the right direction. I'm as conservative as they come and I'm all for decriminalization of marijuana. It's ridiculous to be locked up for exercising your free will and harming no one.

Agreed.
Alcohol is the drug that is truly responsible for many deaths, deaths that happen to a person that isn't using/abusing alcohol (drunk driving).

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Its essentially the same argument used for abortion: its your body, your control.

We employ logic selectively, don't we?

And, the same as with abortion (or any other "do with your body" type things), i don't condone partaking. I only condone you have a choice.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I hope my country takes a leaf out of your book and follows suit.

Outrageous waste of potential all these years of it being illegal when we all know it has outstanding medicinal and textile properties, as well as other beneficial uses.

The day it is treated like any other plant that you can buy at a nursery is truly a day I am looking forward to.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I want to tell the person using it to try rolling in poison ivy

don't roll in it

Poison ivy can produce a skin rash if we touch its stem, root, leaves, or fruit. But this plant, a native, has considerable value to wildlife, which generally are not sensitive to its toxin, called urushiol. Poison ivy’s clusters of round, waxy, whitish fruits develop in summer and persist into winter, when they are of particular benefit to wildlife because of the scarcity of other foods at that season.

At least 60 species of birds—including all of Maryland’s game birds and many songbirds—are reported to eat the fruits. This explains why poison ivy is common along fencerows and other places where birds roost—and leave deposits.

Local bird species that are known to eat the fruits include Eastern Bluebird, Gray Catbird, Dark-eyed Junco, Carolina Chickadee, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, White-throated Sparrow, Brown Thrasher, Tufted Titmouse, White-eyed Vireo, Cedar Waxwing, Carolina Wren, and Woodpeckers (Downy, Hairy, Pileated, and Red-bellied).

Not evreything is just for us

edit:

if it hurts...don't do it
It's nature's warning sign.
edit on 27-6-2014 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: seabag

originally posted by: crazyewok

LMAO

THAT'S RICH!!

Ever heard of taxation without......oh, nevermind.

That was 1776.
Guess what? Things have changed.

UK got rid of slavery first, women s rights first, gay rights ect.

So no not so rich.

edit on 27-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join