It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leave the kids alone! Common Core adopts Controversial Book

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by Asktheanimals

The story is a lie and should be placed in the hoax bin.

No kidding.
A former SNL cast member turned conservative Victoria Jackson met with a bunch of crazies, misunderstood what they told her in the meeting, and wrote an entire blog post that was based on false information, causing harassment to the school district. And for this the voters should give her a job where she has to listen to constituents, create policy, and serve in a leadership position.

She spread lies, then failed to take accountability or apologize.

That kind of politics will make her fit right in with the Christian Conservative base. It is freakin disgraceful its like an SNL joke!

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Doom and Gloom
reply to post by agnisvaha

Society cannot flourish with a scientific understanding alone. Turning sex into a mechanical function or in other words a means to an ends, you destroy emotion, feeling, and relationships.

I understand exactly what you mean, and looking at the issue in the way you describe makes it seem rather strange, almost alien in eventuality like the social landscape of a brave new world. What will the world look like when everyone is in control of the forces which give form to the Universe and drive life? Boring that's what! Whatever will we do without our daily fix of doom and gloom, smut, chanel #5, twerks and romantic drama!

Doom and GloomWe as a society are already conditioned to "Consume." Ever more things are required, the programming has been so successful that there is no end to it.

whacka, whacka, whacka

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by agnisvaha

"Society cannot flourish with a scientific understanding alone. "

I respect this too, I just take note of the 'dumbing down' of our children and take that seriously as well.
You can't on one hand complain about a dumbed down world, then fear the very things that ensure education is possible.

Ro

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is my first post, but I've been a lurker on here for a long time - great Stanton Friedman thread mods by the way, really enjoying the read.

I just wanted to say is that I'm in my forties, live in the UK, and I had sex education classes in school when I was around eight or nine years old. I've just Googled some of the content of 'Its Perfectly Normal' (so I haven't read it and may be missing something) but they seem, well, perfectly normal to me. Our headteacher who took the class, used to use an overhead projector to display these kind of images onto a screen in the classroom. I can remember it being slightly odd and a little embarrassing, but I certainly don't believe it 'corrupted' me or #-ed me up. IMHO, this seems to be something the Americans would fret about a lot more than Europeans. Kids are a lot more hardy and questioning than we give them credit for. I have two boys and would have no problem with them reading this.

BTW, this was a Church of England school too, which meant prayers at the start and end of the day, at lunch and during assemblies. Certainly not liberal or progressive - actually a very old-fashioned English school.

Just my two pennies.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Schools should stick to the ABCs and 123s ... and history and science. Considering how they can't even get those things right (look at test scores in the USA), I really don't think they should be spending the time or the money on things that are best taught at home.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It's a better alternative than allowing MTV to teach kids about sexuality. There's evidence all around us that parents aren't broaching discussions about sexuality - they're leaving it to the media.

Provided classes are administered in an age-appropriate manner, it will be a good thing because it will remove the taboo of sexuality when introduced to the young. And we all know that taboos are magnets for children. Sexuality is a critical element in the human identity, and yet we find it reprehensible to attempt teaching children about it. By providing information we empower.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Here is a great talk on common core.

Every state that got an early start with common core is trying to remove it. It is everything no kid left behind was but worse.

edit on 10 9 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Oh, Brave New World! *sigh*
Dammit, Huxley - you were right.

Nonetheless...

I personally believe such a Common Core program is a positive move forward - as long as it balanced by options of masturbation, contraceptives and abstinence as alternatives to orgy-porgy in addition to some pretty in-depth reality training on the responsibility of parenthood as a follow up in the later years of Intermediate/Junior High/High School .

Existing parents of school-age children will have to get on-board and be prepared to have those discussions at home.

It's a much healthier alternative to sticking one's head in the ground and pretending that kids are going to stay sexually abstinent during their upcoming teenage years in the modern landscape. Ignoring the reality of hormones and urges, peer pressure and general curiosity in favor of simply praying that somehow biology and other social factors out there won't affect "my child" despite plenty of evidence to the contrary...such reasoning is destined to fail from the get go.

I'm honestly more concerned about the rest of the Common Core methods and practices than this Sex Education part....the C.C. mathematics are downright insane....and the wording within many of other studies are simply psychotic.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

honestly, I could not care less about the sex of it. I do but the same amount of care I give to leaving food out for the flies.

The main problem is everything wrong with methods, testing and general indoctrination at the expense of a creating a society capable of surviving.

There is about 50% less actual education going on in common core. It is replaced with instructional information about election issues.

There is a RULE of not letting gifted children advance beyond their class mates. Its wrong for kids to read ahead OR READ at all any material not included in their school year. Thought police right there.....A "in-class" application of common core methodology is for it to be considered wrong now for a child to write the correct answer to a problem if his classmates think its another one...even though they are wrong. And so much more.

Every state that has tried common core, (largely liberal and democratic) have made concerted efforts to remove it from their state. Its a complete failure already. Just wait until 40 states and not just 4 are the ones saying it.

Its absolute and terrible. If you hated no child left behind, as even most people who defended it then do now, then you will hate this since this is FAR worse. No way to opt out, more absurd practices and methodology with not one ounce of supporting data as to why it is better, a reduction in the quality of education, all of it. This is worse in every way.

Trained mathematicians and literature experts say that the standards, if they can even say they are that, will make our children fall 2 years behind the USA now. This isnt a model for education that has been tried in other countries and been found to work. This like no child left behind was made by people who are not even educators.

edit on 10 9 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

You make some excellent points....and I'm not fighting you on your stated concerns about this program.

Please, make no mistake....I'm the type that were I able to have kids of my own I would Home School....and if they came of age and expressed a desire to join a "traditional" school environment for the social aspects, I would concede....provided they were placed in appropriate level courses.

As I have previously stated - much of Common Core is absolutely batshyte crazy.

Too much of the average modern curriculum has more to do with drone labor-consumers and maintaining a sustainable corporate infrastructure than it does raising happy and well adjusted human beings with a clear direction on how to be self sufficient and positive members of their local community. That alone gets my goat about certain aspects of the educational system. Did a number on me in high school as well....rare I learned anything there, but was glad for what I did glean and the social environment.

For example - requiring intelligent introverts into a lower level class in an attempt to simply "train them" to a leadership position or potential human resource position is just cruel. Extroverts might do well in such a situation, if nothing else it will help them further down the road when they find themselves in team leadership or management positions. But forcing a child with a different aptitude, temperament or skill set to remain at a level below his or her potential is sadistic.

I only supported the Sex Ed part because it's the exact methodology I was taught at home at approximately the same age.

The rest of the program can go to the Darkest Bowels of the Nether Region of Hell for all I care.

Peace.

edit on 10/9/14 by GENERAL EYES because: included additional clarifications

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join