It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna 2014

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Looking forward to seeing those!

Always humbled by the power of her might, and the generous privilege you give us all.

Thank You, once again.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Early this morning the full moon tumbling over her back...and she still bleeds on.

No tremors, no noise, very little if any ash.

Just lava...

peace

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Wow! That's such a great picture! Beautiful... if you can say a volcano is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Hi Gracie,
I am very happy you are safe and have also found Medusa. What a cute little guardian!
I've always been a "cat person", but when I bet my amazing wife her little (very little) pooch was part of the package.
We are now attached at the hip.
Totally devoted little friend and I have become very protective......of both of course! lol

Your posts/pictures are both beautiful and frightening.
Thank you again so much for the updates.
Cheers from here and please stay safe. Both of you.
Aft.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for staying up late to get us the perfect moon shot.

That pic and others on volcano discovery show new vents all over, on your side.
Is there a valley between you and the lady? How far away are you?

Just my concern, from someone that really has no idea.
If the side facing you were to collapse from top down to the level of the new vents.
Are you far enough away? Is there room for that material between you and her?

Your video and others has shown that she is not made of anything solid just a giant pile of
lava boulders and ash.

Be strong as we can see you have been, but not too strong.

All senses wide open...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
~ This morning ~

Still quiet and there's a little more ash today.
Her 'stillness' is unnerving.
She just bleeds on and on and on...
*Shudder*

Eyes Open

peace

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

That pic and others on volcano discovery show new vents all over, on your side.
Is there a valley between you and the lady? How far away are you?

Yes, there is a valley. Unless her faucet was turned on full I don’t see having lava reach here - but - it’s gone as far as the sea before so it’s hard to say and I can’t predict her actions that’s for sure. My feeling is I’d have a problem with the pyroclastic gas and ash first.

If the side facing you were to collapse from top down to the level of the new vents.
Are you far enough away? Is there room for that material between you and her?

It really depends on how much ‘collapsing’ (‘crollo’) we’re talking about.

The small collapse I saw was frightening. Really. And it was considered 'small'.

Without exaggeration? If the side (my side as you call it) were to collapse on a larger scale? Yes, I have no doubt the pyroclastic gas/ash/heat etc would ‘get here’. Again though - it depends on how much of her ‘toppled over’.

Your video and others has shown that she is not made of anything solid just a giant pile of
lava boulders and ash.

That’s the part that freaks me a bit at times. I think of her as solid and she definitely is not!

As for being strong but not too strong? Not sure how to read that. I guess I’ll just go on being as strong as I need to be all the while being thankful there’re kind people like you ready to help buck me up when I’m down!

Thank you!

peace

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

~ WARNING ~

Riunione in Prefettura per affrontare l'emergenza Etna
(Regional Emergency Meeting of Authorities in regards to Etna)

(rough translation of the article follows):

Following the most recent phases of activity dell 'Etna, this afternoon the Prefect Federico Maria Guia along with the Head of the National Department of Civil Protection convened a meeting which was attended by senior representatives of all Departments listed and the Department of Civil Protection, Province of Catania, Police, Fire Department , State Forestry Department and Institute of Volcanology in Catania, all to access the overall situation of the volcano.

It was considered appropriate to confirm the current ordinance that restricts access to parts of the volcano's summit elevations adding an additional ban on the entire Valle del Bove on the south- east as well as the path that branches off from the resort Fontanelle - Houses Fichera , hanging in the Municipality of Milos , located at an altitude of 1240 m , above sea level.

At the above locations were also set up special principals of supervision and control by the Police and the local Police .
link

For those who can't view the video below it shows (in thermal form) the high speed devastation executed by Etna's recent pyroclastic flow.

In picture form you can view the extraordinary, dangerous and rare phenomenon if you can’t view the video.

Many of you have commented on the many ‘vents’ you’ve seen in the pic’s I’ve shared. (See photo from this morning early)

These ‘vents’ - along with the massive amounts of hot gas and lava seeping through the side of her cone are the cause and/or contributing factor to the destabilization of this area resulting in the pyroclastic flow a few days ago, the continuation of the same behavior spawning fear of more pyroclastic events for the future.

So this ‘slow bleed’ as I’ve called it ? Though I’ve felt the ongoing eruption to be far less dramatic, bordering on boring compared to some of her earth shaking fountain spewing events? Her recent actions are misleading to the extreme.

Etna is more dangerous at this moment than she has been in quite a number of years. Her looks can truly be deceiving.

Eyes Open

edit on 18-2-2014 by silo13 because: photo added

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

My goodness Gracie that does not look good. Have they raised her alert level? Are you on the same side as these pyrogastic flows as it appears your pictures are from a similar angle and how much time would you have to get out of there with your little Medusa?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I have to agree with you there Gracie....it's the out of the norm that is usually the precursor to bigger things. And our lady has certainly gone through a huge 'face lift' these past few weeks.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
She's still at it. Still puffing away. Still bleeding on.
It's becoming eerie really.
*shivers*
I'll keep you posted.

Eyes (tired) but Open

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just checking in to see what the lady was up to recently.
Take care and keep safe. Thanks for keeping us in the know.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

Here you go Diggin -

She's still at it - slow but sure. You can see the lava at night - in this pic just wisps of smoke rising.

peace

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Activity has remained more or less unchanged. The lava flows from the fissure vents on the eastern flank of the New SE crater continue to be weakly alimented and produce overlapping smaller flows. Most of them only reach only few hundred meters length, and rarely descend into the steeper western wall of Valle del Bove. As a result, most lava accumulates in the less steep area at the foot of the cone.
Weak intermittent strombolian activity continued at the summit vent. Tremor has risen a bit over the past 24 hours, but overall is low.
link

Still. At. It.

Eyes Open

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Those magic moments before dawn - last day of the month - and She's still chugging along.

Enjoy.

Here's another - little closer this time.

Eyes Open ~ Peace

edit on 27-2-2014 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I must confess you, a total stranger far away on a volcano, stay in my thoughts quite a bit. The big earthquakes here and there and volcanoes lighting up.

Sometime, ago I made a comment about not too strong. It was a worry about your plan to stay in place and cover, in a renovated cistern. Maybe, the old country song here about gambling that states ," know when to hold them know when to fold".

But, I do not live near or on a volcano and have absolutely no idea ...

I do live near the Gulf of Mexico and deal with hurricanes, nothing in comparison. Unless it is my desire to stay in place and cover.

Just letting you know, you are in my thoughts and I wish you well, eyes open....
Hope it helps. Know it matters...

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Nice to know there're people out there thinking about our 'Lady of the Lava' and her 'faithful follower' lol.

Today's is a special day here for us women. The 'festival of the donna' - soooo I'm going to try to get some pics of the largest lady on the island today. She's still just bleeding out and rumbling (not out loud) but a few low level EQ's over the last couple days.

What's she up to? I don't know - but - I'll be keeping an eye on here.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the note.

Here's a pic from yesterday - just in case I can't get a good shot today. (It's overcast)

peace

edit on 7-3-2014 by silo13 because: space fix

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the update. I, too---and my Prince as well---have wondered how things were going with you. He came in earlier and asked if I had heard from the Etna Lady?
We are emerging from another ice/snow storm's effects, hope to be able to make it out of the driveway by tomorrow. It was our first real snowstorm of the year and we're just beginning to see patches of earth after 8 days. My jonquils (known locally as March flowers) are standing there in the snow with tightly curled buds. Usually at this time they are all open and bringing lots of smiles with their happy yellow flowers.
Thanks for the updates and keep safe.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

INDEED. And, imho, our Dear Silo could benefit tons from our Godly Spirit-led prayers for her health and safety as we think of her throughout the day.

She clearly has A LOT on her plate . . . to cope with.

Sigh.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Bo - Lovely note - thank you so much.

I hope there's more to show today from our Etna. There's been a few more EQ's and one right under her highness and yeah, I felt it. I don’t like them (EQ’s) and 4’s are enough to get my jumpin’.

At the moment Etna’s still putting out the lava, very quietly, and no ash to speak of - thank goodness.

So - Eyes Open - and thank you again Bo!

peace

edit on 9-3-2014 by silo13 because: space

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join