It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Suspends EBT Cards for Food Stamp Cheats

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I seriously doubt they will cancel squat.. Ghetto people will start riots. Unless that is what they want.
Firepiston

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

RedCairo

superman2012 They obviously can't take care of themselves so why breed?

How to wipe out our species in two generations: make it so only financially secure people have children.

I waited till I was 30 to have a kid, just one, in part for that reason. But as population numbers go, ours (without immigrants) is low enough in the US without waiting until people are financially ok...

Well the answer definitely isn't to have kids that you can't feed, look to Africa's poorest for that.
The answer also isn't to rely on the government. If everyone around me is getting a handout, all the while I am paying my taxes into supporting those programs, what motivation is there for me to work?
I have 3 kids and when I was younger, I worked 3 jobs to support my family. I was lucky. I could find work, was healthy enough to work, but most importantly, I was motivated to work. I wanted my family to do well.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'm not Positive how the EBT system works so I apologize if I am misleading but....like a debit card linked to your checking account, you know more or less what you have in there. If you have 49 cents, you don't go shopping and spend $700 knowing its going to make a scene when you are told it won't go through. My guess is someone went over, went back for more and found the glitch. That doesn't retake long to get around the projects, I'm sure cell phones were blowing up left and right with heads up calls and texts. Really, how else do you find out your banking account witha very set allowance suddenly has no limit.
If an employer over paid you, the IRS or your bank, ignorance is not a defense and they will make you repay. Sadly the greed of the parents of children apmay cost them dearly. It is a messed up situation and who's fault is it? The ones who went out and stuck it to the taxpayers. The state and federal government are strapped for cash, they can't turn a blind eye.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The other day I was at Lowes and a woman looked at my truck and said " How can you afford to drive that thing" I told her I went to college and everything I do is tax deductible I don't pay no taxes. She told me that that wasn't right.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mikell

Is it right? Is it wrong? Is it just what it is? I don't know. Where to draw the line? I have met people that could hire a lawyer and write off prettymuch anything as a business expense. Vacations all over the world, multiple cars and houses. Should I hate they have the money to hire a liar? Should I hate people that can play the system, or the system? At the end of the day does it matter? Either way my own morals dictate my personal and business actions. Why? I don't know, I hope there will be a reward for it. Would suck ass if I lived my life morally and find out when I die that there is nothing after. I could have had a better life if I was willing to "cheat" and exploit others.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I wonder if losing your benefits for a year would cause you to go and actively seek your own path, off of the states handouts. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everybody, but would be interesting to see the unemployment numbers for that area in a year.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Would suck ass if I lived my life morally and find out when I die that there is nothing after.

How would you know!?!??

I live my life for how I feel about my decisions today and in that moment. If I survive long enough to look back and be happy that I made the right (in my mind) decisions then that would just make it that much better.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Haha true, I guess after I die, if there is nothing next I would not know at all.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

benrl

wantsome
I'm disabled and have a bridge card I would have never participated in something like that. I was hoping someone would nail their ass to the wall for doing that. They got what they deserve.

And just screw the children who are now assed out for food for a year because of poor parental decision making...

If anything stricter controls are needed for these people, not taking away of the one lifeline their children could have.

Im all for "correcting" the problem, denying food for a year though...

eta:
76% of EBT households have elderly or children under their care.
edit on 8-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

If the parents don't care about their own kids - why should we?

The chilrens will learn a valuable life lesson - DON'T BE GREEDY...especially if you have people dependent on it.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

TKDRL
I say throw the book at and cut off anyone that went over the limit anymore than 50% what they were supposed to get. There is no way that could be chalked up to a mistake. Also, pull walmart off the list of places that the EBT can be spent at.

That does sound like a good idea. Wonder how much the average snap card person overspent during that time period. 50% is reasonable.

But at least Walmart allowed people to buy food so their families don't go hungry was a kind, but dumb, gesture. Bet they implemented a few new rules because of this. Believe other stores just denied snap.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Did Wal-mart get to keep the proceeds? They certainly will not let go of the proceeds unless the goods are returned. Who profited here? And who got punished? The people that racked up the $700 bill didn't buy $700 worth of food for their children. No, the children and elderly got the shaft.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I do know what it is like to be poor. Back in the dark ages, I walked to pick up soda bottles (redeemable for two cents each) on the side of the road so that I could get enough change to buy supper for me and my child. There was no food stamp program. I got through the rough times and I even feel as though I made a success of my life. But it was ALL DUE TO MY EFFORTS.

I stood in line one night after work, holding in my arms one pound of cheap ground beef, one package pasta and was thankful that this would get me and my daughter through to payday. While I stood in line behind a Hispanic female, I admired her abundance of jewelry, her gucci handbag, and her stilletto heels. I was wearing tennis shoes and jeans (worked in a computer center and dress was casual). This female bought multiple (more than 8) individual wrapped T-bones, asparagus, chocolates from the bakery, several bottles of wine, etc. SHE PAID FOR THESE ITEMS WITH FOOD STAMPS. I was angry and still am. Don't go on about the working poor, been there, done that.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

searching411
reply to post by nixie_nox

I do know what it is like to be poor. Back in the dark ages, I walked to pick up soda bottles (redeemable for two cents each) on the side of the road so that I could get enough change to buy supper for me and my child. There was no food stamp program. I got through the rough times and I even feel as though I made a success of my life. But it was ALL DUE TO MY EFFORTS.

I stood in line one night after work, holding in my arms one pound of cheap ground beef, one package pasta and was thankful that this would get me and my daughter through to payday. While I stood in line behind a Hispanic female, I admired her abundance of jewelry, her gucci handbag, and her stilletto heels. I was wearing tennis shoes and jeans (worked in a computer center and dress was casual). This female bought multiple (more than 8) individual wrapped T-bones, asparagus, chocolates from the bakery, several bottles of wine, etc. SHE PAID FOR THESE ITEMS WITH FOOD STAMPS. I was angry and still am. Don't go on about the working poor, been there, done that.
My mother was in the exactly the same position you were a long time ago. She asked the lady, HOW? How did you manage that? I work two jobs to feed my three children. She just said; I know better than to get a job.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Who's responsibility is it to know how much can be charged? Its exactly the same as writing a check. Know your balance. If you write a check for more than you have on balance, its check fraud, a hot check, and so on. There is a penalty in my state for that, I believe for 3 times the amount written. Would a store be responsible for accepting a hot check? No. The fraud lies on the person that committed the fraud. And just as a criminal that goes to jail and can no longer make money for his family, the family suffers. That's just how it is. It is sad for the kids, yes, but it is the parents fault and parent to be penalized.

Maybe Walmart should have shut down their system though that could alienate customers. But its not their fault people didn't know how much they had to spend and there were obvious frauds with far higher spending than was on their cards. To compare what corporations do and say its wrong to penalize one and not the other is a distraction. They are separate issues. Yes, corporate dishonesty should be penalized, and yes, when our elected representatives vote to make laws that allow corporate corruption they should also be penalized, at least at the polls!

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
it is wrong because there are people out there who need it. If you have 17 cents left it is not like that is all you get or had to start. You are robbing the federal government, your friends and co-workers. Do not give me this Robin Hood BS about how banks are robbing us blind. That is a separate issue and should be dealt with.

If you do not earn or deserve it, you should not get it. I personally think they should also charge them with theft. Why not? Because they are poor and on EBT they have different rights? A single mom with 4 kids working 3 jobs pinching pennies...that is who is hurt by this as it causes more division which is what this country wants.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

The chilrens will learn a valuable life lesson - DON'T BE GREEDY...especially if you have people dependent on it.

By that same logic we should shut down all children services.

I mean if the parents don't care why should we.

If child is abused, why care.
If a child is molested, why care.
if a child starves, Why care.

If the parents doesn't care and all.

That thought disgust me...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

benrl

ChuckNasty

By that same logic we should shut down all children services.
I sure stated to do just that....

I mean if the parents don't care why should we.

If child is abused, why care.
If a child is molested, why care.
if a child starves, Why care.

If the parents doesn't care and all.
Child services will take the chilren away from incompetent parents - happens all the time. Parents don't care, so the STATE does. Then caring foster parents will take care of them....those foster parents usually are better 'trained' than any incompetent parent.

If a foster parent abused the system, they too will get in trouble. Why should incompetent parents, that can't understand how snap works, be coddled too?

But I guess you are one to coddle dumbasses... Let us not learn from mistakes.

That thought disgust me...

Then hand over your paychecks to the 'poor' families you meet. ...but you won't, because deep down you can't.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

To put food on a same level as a child being molested.... WTF is wrong with your thinking?

Wow, just wow...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

ChuckNasty
reply to post by benrl

To put food on a same level as a child being molested.... WTF is wrong with your thinking?

Wow, just wow...

Yea, starving a child is abuse.

Neglect is abuse.

They are the same level...

Sorry that I feel if you willfully harm a child you should be drawn and quartered, but thats just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

benrl

ChuckNasty
reply to post by benrl

Wow, just wow...

Yea, starving a child is abuse.

Neglect is abuse.

They are the same level...

Sorry that I feel if you willfully harm a child you should be drawn and quartered, but thats just my opinion.

So you agree the dumbass parents are at fault... What's the argument?

*Drops the mic*

edit on 10-11-2013 by ChuckNasty because: added the mic

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join