It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unity or Separation - which way do you choose to see things and WHY? Which brings more Peace and Joy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Lame. This is what I meant when I said that your word game gets tiring.

You seem to think that deflecting and redirecting with loaded questions makes you seem wise.

I just pointed this out so that others may recognize it.
edit on 11-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

Your spirit sees through your eyes. A spirit needs a body, and a body needs a spirit. All I'm saying is that you think you are what you see, you see your body and think that you are your body, but you aren't.

What is the difference between a dead body and a live body?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Your spirit sees through your eyes. A spirit needs a body, and a body needs a spirit. All I'm saying is that you think you are what you see, you see your body and think that you are your body, but you aren't.

What is the difference between a dead body and a live body?

How does a spirit see? If my spirit sees through my eyes, it must be looking through them as if they were binoculars. A spirit, however, has no eyes to look through my eyes with. Only my body can see because it has eyes.

A live body functions, a dead body does not. A live body is capable of functioning, a dead body is not. No spirit is needed here.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

What allows a live body to function though? If we are only bodies, why are dead bodies dead while live bodies are alive? What's the component that differentiates the two if both are bodies?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

What allows a live body to function though? If we are only bodies, why are dead bodies dead while live bodies are alive? What's the component that differentiates the two if both are bodies?

When people die, it is because something is wrong with their body, something doesn't work, something has malfunctioned. There are thousands upon thousands of ways to die. This is why there are dead bodies. The same reason there are yards full of dead cars. They simply do not work anymore.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

So what makes them work? What makes them function? You're sidestepping the question.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1

So what makes them work? What makes them function? You're sidestepping the question.

That all depends on what philosophy you have as to the nature of life.
Your very definition of "Life". What is life?, and what started it? That is still one of the big questions.

Life only comes from life, a continuous stream of dna of "life" from now back to the very beginning of "life".
Now whether life = spirit is debatable until the cows come home. But it started somewhere and somehow, or it has always been.

You could ask the question "Is a virus cell, which is alive, possessing its own spirit and consciousness?"

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I'm not. You're sidestepping my answers. I am saying no imaginary substance is needed to make them function. I am saying that our very biology allows us to function.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Your very definition of "Life". What is life?, and what started it? That is still one of the big questions.

Life only comes from life, a continuous stream of dna of "life" from now back to the very beginning of "life".
Now whether life = spirit is debatable until the cows come home. But it started somewhere and somehow, or it has always been.

You could ask the question "Is a virus cell, which is alive, possessing its own spirit and consciousness?"

"Life" isn't anything but an idea. There is no "life"; there are only beings that live.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

By the way, if there are things that live then there is life.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

TheSubversiveOne

"Life" isn't anything but an idea. There is no "life"; there are only beings that live.

live is another word for life. we live a life. They are simply nuanced versions of the same root word.. life, they even almost sound like the same word.
when something is alive it lives a life.
To kill is to extinguish life. Life is an observable tangible "thing". Its not an idea.
You cannot compare a life to a motor vehicle because it never actually lived, to die.

Unless you believe we are soulless machines, with no purpose, an accidental blip in the scheme of "existence".
Rather bleak outlook no?
I would rather cling on to a small amount of "hope" because sometimes "hope" is all we have. Hope can take us through some of the darkest times, and hardest paths, and hope can bring us out the other side.

And even then, arent machines designed?
edit on 11-9-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

live is another word for life. we live a life. They are simply nuanced versions of the same root word.. life, they even almost sound like the same word.
when something is alive it lives a life.
To kill is to extinguish life. Life is an observable tangible "thing". Its not an idea.
You cannot compare a life to a motor vehicle because it never actually lived, to die.

No I agree. I was getting too far ahead of myself perhaps. I thought you seemed to hold "Life" as more important than living things for whatever reason, as if life was some vital spark that none can do without. But like you and I said: Life is living things.

Unless you believe we are soulless machines, with no purpose, an accidental blip in the scheme of "existence".
Rather bleak outlook no?
I would rather cling on to a small amount of "hope" because sometimes "hope" is all we have. Hope can take us through some of the darkest times, and hardest paths, and hope can bring us out the other side.

And even then, arent machines designed?

That's where we differ. I am not so nihilistic as you perhaps. What you find bleak, I find beautiful and meaningful. What purpose does inventing supernatural forces and souls and spirits serve? For Hope? Hope for what? More disappointment is all one will find there. Saying we are of supernatural origin, of supernatural power, or supernatural immortality, is the deepest betrayal of what is natural, of what actually exists, like one is spitting on the world, on living beings, on real things and each other. Why do we invent supernatural entities and forces? so we can stand the sight of ourselves?

Do you really see me as less of a human because I am without a spirit? Because I am not designed?
edit on 11-9-2013 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I enjoyed the debate, thank you. I will think about your points.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

daskakik

You seem to think that deflecting and redirecting with loaded questions makes you seem wise.

Have you heard of the Socratic method?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I have but it is usually used by a teacher to guide a student. Your not my teacher and your not going to get me to tango. If you think you are then my point stands and if not then, the Socratic method may not be the best choice.

edit on 11-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

daskakik

Lame. This is what I meant when I said that your word game gets tiring.

If you are tired then go back to sleep.

Can you add something to the thread or are you just going to read my posts and get tired?
edit on 11-9-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

You either don't understand what that sentence meant or your deflecting. Either way my point stands.

As for the thread, which one is the "real" truth, unity or seperation? Both, neither, one or the other but, I am willing to bet that a definitive answer won't be found in this thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Look beyond words (concepts) to find what is behind the human game.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

arpgme
We can argue about this war to keep separation or this control to keep unity, but the question here is "which one is The Truth"?

Let's look at it from an absolute perspective:

Perspective of Separation:

We are all different. We will always have conflicts due to different preferences and different ways of handling things. Unity is a lie. Separation is truth. The body seems whole but it is really a bunch of random atoms making up cells. Even the body itself is separate compared to everyone else. In each moment, sure there is presence - things that are here but there is ALWAYS something that is NOT here. Things are always excluded from this now moment. Ultimately, all of our actions stem from separation, too. We do things to serve our own interests. If we are obeying someone else - it is because we think it is for our own good in the bigger picture. We live in a selfish, isolating, world.

Perspective of Unity:

Ultimately, we are all the same at our core. We will always have unity because at our core we are united. Unity is truth, and separation is just a lie - an illusion. The body is whole, and while everyone may seem separate - humanity as a whole is ONE force. The planets are ONE force. Everything is ONE force called "Reality". We all exist together as ONE in the present moment. Ultimately, all of our actions stem from the concern of The Whole. We are all a part of The Whole and that is why we care for all others. We live in a world that is already ONE and this is becoming more and more apparent.

How do you choose to see things and why? Which way do you thin will bring more peace and happiness? Both seem truth - valid ways of looking at things but which way is the "real" truth and how do you know?

..im afraid you re making the Classical mistake of dualism here, arp

"oneness" in this lousy reality wont help us

regards,

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Itisnowagain

Look beyond words (concepts) to find what is behind the human game.

Funny cause this whole line of discussion took off when you thought that putting the words "for you" in front of a concept changed something.

For a moment there, words seemed pretty darn important to you.

This whole thread is about the words (concepts) "unity" and "seperation" and how one could be real truth while the other isn't.
edit on 12-9-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join