It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aug 2 State Dept Issues WORLD WIDE Travel Alert until Aug 31

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I love a good conspiracy but, don't you think its abit too much in your face?
Like I mean obvious much?

Still, i'm betting on chemical or nuclear/dirty. I sure hope i'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
The reference of Guantanamo alongside al-Shihri's biography may imply the desire to tie between his death and the new threat. It is possible that intelligence experts in the US intelligence arena identified further code words on the tape that actually serve as activation messages for terrorist cells deployed by the organization around the world.

Al Qaeda released another video in the last couple of weeks...

"Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula confirms group's No. 2, Saeed al-Shihri, killed in U.S. strike in Yemen"

I think you have found proabably the main 'catalyst' for this announced threat. Al Qaeda has a growing presence in Yemen, and as the report you found about the killing of al-Shihri has got to have triggered in their mind, a serious terrorist act.

What really bothers me, is that

Al-Shihri, also known as Abu Sufyan al-Azdi, fought in Afghanistan and spent six years in Guantanamo. He was returned to Saudi Arabia in late 2007 and later fled to Yemen to join the al Qaeda branch there.

....Just bothers me that we had an enemy combatant in our hands, should never been released, we ship him to Saudi Arabia who plays both sides of the game, and easily allows this guy to slip out and head back to an Al-Qaeda affiliate, again which has as its only purpose is to destroy the U.S. and any of its' allies. Just another example of why none of the Guantanamo terrorists should ever be released. They were caught in the act of war crimes as enemy combatants....lock them up forever.

(CNN) -- A State Department travel alert Friday said al Qaeda may launch attacks in the Middle East, North Africa and beyond, as the United States is closing 21 embassies and consulates Sunday as a precaution. "Current information suggests that al Qaeda and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August," said the alert, which covers the entire month. It warned that "terrorists may elect to use a variety of means and weapons and target both official and private interests."

Al Qaeda linked to 'credible' acts of terrorism which has caused a WW Travel Alert

edit on 2-8-2013 by ItDepends because: added link

edit on 2-8-2013 by ItDepends because: sentence structure

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

It looks like Al Qaeda is on a mission...

Al-Qaida raids on Iraqi prisons raise fears of return to civil war , July 23, 2013...

www.theguardian.com...

Hundreds of prisoners escape from a Libyan prison following a riot, July 27, 2013...

www.rte.ie...

Al Qaeda leader: We will 'spare no effort' to free Guantanamo Bay prisoners, July 31, 2013...

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

ETA: I missed one...

Mass jail break in Pakistan as Taliban gunmen storm prison, July 29, 2013...

preview.reuters.com...

edit on 2-8-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

I will bet that they are no where near the places they say the president will be at.. why is it always martha's vineyard though? especially with past presidents. for all we know, he could be in another country doing God knows what.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
See someone found the Ring of Solomon. We are doomed.

Not in Martha's Vineyard?
I don't see Obama as an action hero if that's what you mean??

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Travel Alert Warnings 2013

Saudi Arabia 07/25/2013
Mali 07/18/2013
Yemen 07/16/2013
Niger 07/15/2013
Mexico 07/12/2013
Philippines 07/05/2013
Kenya 07/05/2013
Egypt 07/03/2013
Somalia 06/21/2013
Israel, the West Bank and Gaza 06/19/2013
Honduras 06/17/2013
Chad 06/11/2013
Libya 06/07/2013
Nigeria 06/03/2013
Iran 05/24/2013
Mauritania 05/21/2013
Cote d'Ivoire 05/16/2013
Eritrea 05/10/2013
Central African Republic 05/10/2013
Congo, Democratic Republic of the 04/24/2013
Burundi 04/22/2013
Sudan 04/16/2013
Colombia 04/11/2013
Pakistan 04/09/2013
Lebanon 04/01/2013
Republic of South Sudan 03/29/2013
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of 03/14/2013
Guinea 03/14/2013
Tunisia 03/13/2013
Syria 03/01/2013
Iraq 02/25/2013
Algeria 02/19/2013
Afghanistan 01/29/2013
El Salvador 01/23/2013
Haiti 12/28/2012

2013WorldTravelWarnings

yawn

Can you say DIVERSION... Or have we forgotten BENGHAZI since just this morning?

peace
edit on 2-8-2013 by silo13 because: bold

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I think it would be wise for people to pay attention to what is being knocked off of the top news spots. We currently have the ongoing scandal of Beghazi, the CIA seemingly implicated in a coverup, Obama losing all trust, the NSA under attack from people all over the world for their spying... there's a lot that they need a distraction for.

This new "threat" provides a lot of useful things. It gives the NSA the chance to say to the government and the people "look, we are doing something other than just spying on you all", it potentially gives them future excuses to expand their methods, it removes some embarrassing stories from top slots all over the world, and it provides a distraction for any other things that might be coming to light in the coming weeks.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Yes, I think you have captured all of the key amounts of known information that is available. I think your reference to over 300 Islamic terrorists breaking out of prisons in Iraq, and I just heard that over 1,000 Islamic militants have escaped from a Libya prison or prison(s). Source of over 1,000 prisoners escaping
Also confirmed in Huffington Report

Also reference to over 250 militants escaping from Pakistan and reference to Iraq as well: Militants in Middle East Escaping

I would expect to see multiple attacks. And am just learning that Sunday the 4th is considered one of the most Holiest days of Islam's religion, and to martyr oneself on that day is considered very noble! Ahemm

edit on 2-8-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by jhn7537
Yea, I live in Chicago... Which I guess has as big of a target as anyone

KInda Interesting - 6 Vulnerable Potential Terrorist Targets
New York, Chemical Plants (Delaware and Philly!!), Liquid Natural Gas (which means New Jersey!!), any one of the 10,000 Dams in the USA, Bio Labs (like Ft. Detrick).

I'd think Houston TX .. Oil Reserves. Philly is on the river and wide open. So is St. Louis.
New York has the harbor and shipping on the Jersey side. Chicago .. on the water ... easy access.

America is really wide open. But instead of the big cities, I'd think that this article is right.
The terrorists would get more 'bang for their buck' (if you'll excuse me saying so) if they
hit the energy places.

I am in DE.. I think we are pretty much screwed altogether if there is one in Philly or NJ (depending where) let alone here, it'd pretty much just wipe us off the map. I-95 is backed up 7/10 times now, I could only imagine how it'd be if we knew a real threat was going to happen.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013
I think it would be wise for people to pay attention to what is being knocked off of the top news spots. We currently have the ongoing scandal of Beghazi, the CIA seemingly implicated in a coverup, Obama losing all trust, the NSA under attack from people all over the world for their spying... there's a lot that they need a distraction for.

This new "threat" provides a lot of useful things. It gives the NSA the chance to say to the government and the people "look, we are doing something other than just spying on you all", it potentially gives them future excuses to expand their methods, it removes some embarrassing stories from top slots all over the world, and it provides a distraction for any other things that might be coming to light in the coming weeks.

I definitely understand your point!! However, I just have a feeling in this case that there is a "real and credible" threat. But your point about the distraction is undeniable. All of the news/cable channels seem totally focused on this new threat.

What i find deplorable is with all that is happening, inwhich you mentioned and now this new threat our Representatives are on recess for the Summer beginning late yesterday: Congress goes on recess amid numerous outstanding issues and problems

The other issues will take a backseat for awhile depending on what happens. Let's hope nothing devastating happens!!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I would expect to see multiple attacks. And am just learning that Sunday the 4th is considered one of the most Holiest days of Islam's religion, and to martyr oneself one that day is considered very noble! Ahemm

It is? From what I can tell, Ramadan ends August 7th, plus here's what else I'm reading...

For Muslims, the last ten days should be a time to perfect one's fast and avoid anything that may break it. It is a time to give more charity and to settle disputes and forgive one another. It is also a time for soul searching, evaluating one's life, supplicating, and asking forgiveness. This should be done sincerely because if Allah accepts the supplications, the reward is the remission of one's sins.

The last ten days are also known for Itekaf (spiritual retreat). The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) used to perform Itekaf in the mosque during the last ten days of Ramadan, barely sleeping during that time. Itekaf requires a total devotion to Allah; it is a sort of vacation with Him. The time is spent worshiping, performing extra Salah (ritual prayers), reciting Quran, making Thikr (remembrance of Allah) and duaas (supplications). One should leave behind the cares of this world, and even eat and sleep in the mosque. Those who cannot perform Itekaf for ten days, should try to do it for a shorter time, if only for one night or a day or two.

Laylat Al-Qadr also occurs during the last ten days of Ramadan. The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said, "Any Muslim who stands in Prayer during Laylat Al-Qadr out of faith and sincerity, his previous sins will be forgiven."

www.islamicfinder.org...

Of course, we are talking about the views and interpretations of extremists vs. moderates, so who knows?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Come on Nibiru!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
You people make me laugh,you sound like Edgar Casey,in those 6 pages I think just about every scenario other then nothing happening has been covered so I guess one of you will be right,but most likely none of you will be.

Like it or not the world has changed and the tools to mine information is a powerful one,if that tool helps domestic and foreign plots to be unearthed and foiled then by all means mine away.

It's a conspiracy if a terrorist plot is successful,it's a conspiracy if the plot is foiled,now it's a conspiracy that the US Government is attempting to warn it's people of a possible attack.

I couldn't and wouldn't live like that,you guys just must be so scared all the time.

The truth is the majority of people on here feel themselves superior to the average person in that what they believe they know somehow elevates them above the average citizen,but it doesn't.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Just some other information regarding the importance of August 4th date from an Islamic perspective, and why perhaps some radicals would use that day/date for violence or to gain martyrdom.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said she would not “go into any more detail about specific threat information,” or any particular significance attached to the August 4 date. August 4 this year marks the 27th night of Ramadan, which according to most but not all Muslim scholars is Laylat al-Qadr (“night of power” or “night of destiny”), when Muslims believe the first verses of the Qur’an were revealed to Mohammed in the 7th century. The Qur’an describes the night as “better than a thousand months,” and many devout Muslims stay up through the night. - See more at: cnsnews.com...

Night of Power, Aug 4th 2013, is this a catalyst for Islamic radicals to commit acts of terror?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by canDarian

Thanks for your input. But not really sure what you are specifically pointing to. There are a few of us on this thread and on one other that are simply reporting news. We are just trying to inform and keep people up to date on what is being released through several news agencies.

I'm sure there are some crazy theories out there, however, I'm only responding and discussing this thread with some credible posters. You should do the same, focus on the facts, don't worry about the doomsdayers, or the crazy conspiracy artists, they are always here and just like to stir up fear or rant.

Hopefully some of my posts and those of "Deetermined" have been thoughtful, helpful and informative!! Certainly not trying to create alarm, just being informative.
Cheers!!

edit on 2-8-2013 by ItDepends because: grammatical correction

edit on 2-8-2013 by ItDepends because: sentence structure

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hmmmmmmm Aug 31 . . .

not that far from 9/11 . . .

Is there another repeat performance being set up?

One would hope not, but the idea can't be discounted. The mindset we're told that terrorists have is that they have to "one up" the last attack. If they are using 9/11 as a target anniversary date, then it stands to reason that the event would be larger in scale than that of 2001. What does this leave us with? WMD options are there, but they'd have to explain where they got them from, and the delivery would still have to be larger than 2001. It borders on ridiculous without other nation-states getting involved. Regardless, August is just beginning. There's a lot of time between now and September 11th.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Newsheadline:

The warning and cautions have been lifted. Due to the NSA's spying, a major terrorist attack has been prevented

Goal?: Everyone loves and accepts the NSA's spying

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think the attack will happen on Monday. It seems that is when they are prone to attack based on the above posts. The next question is, what is being attacked?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

You have a good point. Wag the dog kind of thing ....
The next few weeks will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.
Or if it's just Obama deflecting from the "phony" scandals
(which are very real scandals).

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

That's interesting information .. and it falls in line with the Sunday embassy closings.

edit on 8/2/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join