It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Conservative Policies are Driving Americans to Suicide…"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Other than an observation on how the people in Roman occupied Palestine were forced to pay taxes to Rome, I'm not seeing how this quote is relevant to this topic?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Well....I only have one comment left for the evening as I read the quotes from biblical passages.

We are doomed.

Both sides of the aisle try to manipulate and bend the Word to suit their ends and His wrath shall be upon them.

You know...deep inside....what the intention of Christ was. It was not selfishness or hoarding or seeing how much you could make or get away with. I do not care if you are a Democrat or a Republican...the words of Christ are not up for debate. You can trick yourself and lie to yourself all you want but they are there for everyone to see.

Jesus did not agree with the hoarding of wealth....now you can have a cow and pretend you do not know that...I do not care...there is a lake of fire for those that refuse to see the truth...I suggest you study and read and pray and the way will be revealed to you...

to believe for an instant that Christ was OK with the way the world is today is blasphemy and His judgement shall be upon you.

You that condone the pain of this world because you want more for yourself shall be judged and punished....it is NOT ok....it is an abomination...if you will not raise your brother up then you shall fall in his stead. Let them who has understanding hear....you cannot buy your way into glory....those that think they can shall drink bitter waters.
edit on 8/1/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobM88

Other than an observation on how the people in Roman occupied Palestine were forced to pay taxes to Rome, I'm not seeing how this quote is relevant to this topic?

Oh yeah

"The budget should be balanced the Treasury should be refilled. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled. The assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." — Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sound familiar don't it?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

But if you listen to Conservatives, they'll tell you those damned Liberals and their Libber policies is whats causing hard working Americans to kill themselves. I think if you support the rights and concerns of big business ahead of "the people" or the constituents that elected you, then you might be a Conservative.

Meanwhile, people are killing themselves because the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs they are popping tell you, may experience increased thoughts of suicide, and they aren't lying. Who made the decision to advertise drugs on TV anyway? Some law was passed or regulation loosened that made it possible, thanks to some political manoeuvrings, and some politician is complicit. Was is at the urgings of Squibb? Pfizer? I have always thought it was a bad move, we should recognize it and recind it.

The USA and I think it's New Zealand are the only countries that allow pharmaceutical companies to peddle their psychotic drug selections right on TV.

And we wonder why people are killing themselves and others.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

The passage speaks directly to the concept of taxation, as that is part of this discussion and Christian ethos were tabled.

In full:

13 Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Jesus to catch him in his words. 14 They came to him and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a man of integrity. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not? 15 Should we pay or shouldn’t we?”

But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. “Why are you trying to trap me?” he asked. “Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” 16 They brought the coin, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they replied.

17 Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

And they were amazed at him.

Source

While I am not a very religious person, I do try to adhere to Christian tenets and it is my belief that charity to the poor is key among them. Further I become a bit indignant when right wing rhetoric seeks to claim the moral high ground while simultaneously seeking to distort and claim the Religious high ground as well.

It saddens me that we live in a society that sees a hungry person as a greedy and opportunistic glutton, while we glorify the obscenely wealthy and morally bankrupt ( not all rich people, but enough for the cliche to fit ) as being somehow morally superior by virtue of their success and nothing else.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

He must've been responsible for mass suicide and teen prostitution on a hitherto unheard of scale.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Judge not lest yee be judged

Seems we all have some work to do.

Anyone who wants to help others out can the issue is using GOVERNMENT force.

One of those things is not like the other.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I'm not sure where Conservative has to do with that policy

LOL, funny. Who hates "big gubmint" and is doing everything to cut it to the bone??

link   

IMHO, It uses taxation as an example, but I think the message was that God has no interest in the trifling matters of men and their fortunes, and what men think is important. God is interested in you, yourself..your soul.

I'm not an overly religious person either, and I totally respect your stand here on this, and I agree with it too. I intensely dislike a mixing of politics and religion, they just don't belong together, in my opinion.,,maybe that was part of the message of that verse too?

I just, personally, never took the main point of that parable to be about the taxes.

link   

Originally posted by Loveaduck

But if you listen to Conservatives, they'll tell you those damned Liberals and their Libber policies is whats causing hard working Americans to kill themselves. I think if you support the rights and concerns of big business ahead of "the people" or the constituents that elected you, then you might be a Conservative.

Meanwhile, people are killing themselves because the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs they are popping tell you, may experience increased thoughts of suicide, and they aren't lying. Who made the decision to advertise drugs on TV anyway? Some law was passed or regulation loosened that made it possible, thanks to some political manoeuvrings, and some politician is complicit. Was is at the urgings of Squibb? Pfizer? I have always thought it was a bad move, we should recognize it and recind it.

The USA and I think it's New Zealand are the only countries that allow pharmaceutical companies to peddle their psychotic drug selections right on TV.

And we wonder why people are killing themselves and others.

Good Point.

It must be the ultra-Liberal media that makes big money from the ad rates too.

It's all part of the Cloward-Piven agenda.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Judging a situation is not judging others. I don't blame the rich for the current wealth disparity. If I had been well off enough to cash in 15 years ago, or so, I would have as well.

I blame deregulation for creating a situation where if all the oil companies get together and decide to raise their prices by 400% - even if doing so would cripple the economy - they do it without regard and no laws exist to stop them.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Ok...last comment....sorry...I couldn't stand it.

The modern Conservative movement ARE NOT Christians....they may say they are...pretend they are...even believe within themselves that they are....but few of them have ever taken the Word and read it for themselves with prayer, fasting and meditation. They are afraid to. They know, deep inside....that what they applaud is against everything that our Christ stood for. They lie to themselves and then try to convince everyone around them they are correct in there "interpretation"....here is a hint...it is what it is...there is no "interpretation"...

Before I quote this....yes, I know what a needle is...it is a secure passage into a city....but that does not lessen the relevance of the statement...something all would be conservative Christians hate...because they are violators...they love money and wealth and material things more than they love our Christ.

"It shall be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven"....

greed equals the lake of fire.....feeling warm yet?

You had better check up folks....I recommend the upcoming weekend to be one of fasting and prayer and study...most of you wannabe's are lost and the word of God is not in you....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by neo96

Judging a situation is not judging others. I don't blame the rich for the current wealth disparity. If I had been well off enough to cash in 15 years ago, or so, I would have as well.

I blame deregulation for creating a situation where if all the oil companies get together and decide to raise their prices by 400% - even if doing so would cripple the economy - they do it without regard and no laws exist to stop them.

Well aware of where you place the blame still will never agree with the premise of using government to pay for our existence.

People are free to argue over fiat currency and corporate products til Jesus's second coming more important things to me in life than that.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

In hindsight, I think I'm the one that got out of topic with this last post of mine. My apologies all!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't see anywhere in the op's argument that conservative polices are linked to the suicide rate. Haha wow

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willtell

Originally posted by beezzer

A democrat lead majority in the Senate, a democrat in the White House, yet it is conservative policies?

Did I miss something here?

Did I wake up in Bizarro World?

I'm confused. I thought we were on the "road to recovery" (trademark Obama ) thanks to all his policies.

The conservative Republicans are blocking everything Obama wants to do.

Like how they blocked Obamacare?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I was driven to something resembling suicide, when in 1981 I couldn't find employment, so I joined the military and just about nearly succeeded in killing myself, then I failed in taking delight in the taking of other's lives and escaped relatively intact....

It's been a difficult time, and suicide has been contemplated, and then I began to contemplate the true meaning of selfishness when feeling sorry for myself after the loss of people I loved.

Studies have been done and pointed out the fact that many would rather be dead than penniless, I consider this to be a lame and selfish and self centered way to be, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm just some kind of freak, maybe I just don't care.

One can out grow suicidal tendencies, but one cannot outgrow death as far as I know, unless of course you are Jesus.

So what is one to do next?, I really have no problem supporting a righteous (a relative term) cause, but I am not willing to wait for my dying to enjoy paradise, so I will selfishly enjoy what time I have left here.

Unless of course, more people could agree on some basic needs they put into the World Wide Suggestion Box, that of course is monitored by those who want you to live a miserable life and just die.

Enjoy the time you have on this, whatever it is, it's all relative anyway.IMO things worked better once when information traveled slower than it does now.

I used to say the world turned on money, and paper catches fire if one turns something too fast on it.

Poof.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Giving Communist China Most favored Nation Status. BTW, it was Clinton who pushed it, and it was Bush who signed it. This whole premise of "Conservative policies" is BS. Its clearly big Government against its people. Labeling the policies are a cop out.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

It is a damn good thing too. If the liberals had their way unobstructed we would be in a lot worse shape than we are.

Conservatives haven't had their way since Reagan. We all know how awful that was. (sarcasm off).

What a load of crap this entire post is.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Which is exactly why I've altered my approach and try to not use "Conservative" as a descriptor for the things I disagree with. I like Conservative thought. I despise extreme right wing oligarchy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join