It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Conservative Policies are Driving Americans to Suicide…"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

This group includes 45 million people with schizophrenia.

That solves the mystery about Democrats and Republicans.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Can you add a link to the article you quoted? I'd like to read that.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Hey, I am a religious guy too; this issue has nothing to do with religion.

The Bible has hundreds of versus that tell people to give to the poor that so-called christian conservatives never obey.

Conservative austerity principles are anti-humanitarian, anti-spiritual and anti-religious.

Look at what the new pope is saying:

Stop being so greedy and tend to the poor.

So your analyses are way off point.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

What right wing propaganda mill did you drudge that nonsense up from? C'mon now.

I want the link also..........

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Sorry I forgot to link it. I hope this is the one you're referring to.
www.newyorker.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Yes, it is, thank you!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willtell
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Again, you or no one else can name one time in economic history did austerity bring prosperity. It makes things worse

Just the facts mam
edit on 1-8-2013 by Willtell because: typo

You do realize that austerity is used when there is nothing left correct? What would you suggest instead? More of the same borrow and spend that got us to this point?

You can't borrow your way out of debt, but that's just simple logic and we can't have any of that here.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColCurious
Wow.

I posted this before... guess I have to post it again.

- Austerity is a tool, and like all tools, it can be used wrong.
(You can't blame a soup plate if you use it upside down.)

- If a nation has to resort to austerity measures, that nation already did something wrong (budget mismanagement; IOW: spending beyond the means).

- Germany already had austerity measures itself. At the right time, in the right proportions.

- Austerity cannot work for an economy, if the most important element is missing: the economy has to create something of real value.
Real value as in: either extracting ressources, or building something that will generate revenue,
like factories/industry that can build products, engineers creating new technologies, or a highly trained workforce.

Awesome....that is one of the best posts I have read in a while.

"WE" are not producing wealth anymore....we have become a collection of people "serving" the elite....sure we still mine and sell some coal and a few other things but in general terms, we are not making "stuff" the rest of the world wants.

Remember back in the day....everyone in the world wanted a pair of Levi's....then we closed our factories and shipped the production overseas...they suck now and nobody cares anymore.

I am self employed and it is just me. No employees. This just works better for me cause with all the red tape and regulations....it's not worth the pain. I'd like to grow and do more....be able to offer some jobs to folks....but thanks to the GOV...I'm just not interested. I make a living and pay my bills and for now, that is good enough.
edit on 8/1/2013 by Damian65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Hey, I am a religious guy too; this issue has nothing to do with religion.

The Bible has hundreds of versus that tell people to give to the poor that so-called christian conservatives never obey.

Conservative austerity principles are anti-humanitarian, anti-spiritual and anti-religious.

Look at what the new pope is saying:

Stop being so greedy and tend to the poor.

So your analyses are way off point.

Not really lots of examples in the bible say otherwise but really a moot point how bout that separation of church and state.

Austerity really means conservative opposites freak out that they have to pay for the stuff they want instead of living in denial.

The bible teaching wasn't about using government to rob peter to pay paul anyways.
edit on 1-8-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It seems to me the problem is that they, governnments, usually can't balance things out worth a damn....what I mean is that someone earlier posted about Germany had used some austerity measures, in the right amount at the right time Too much causes problems. Too little does also.

The same with Keynesian policies...too much or too little at the wrong time doesn't help.

I think the politicians desire to follow ideology over sense is to blame for the lack of balancing cutting and spending, personally. It's more about who's vote can I get with this policy than with doing what's the right thing at the right time.

Sorry, this is a very in-eloquent rant, I've had a long day.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

What did we do in the great depression? I'll answer that myself.
SPENT!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Conservative Policies that Liberals love to demonize are keeping Liberal Congress Filthy Rich.

See, thats a headline grabber!

All of this anger at “the rich”…except it isn’t “the rich” at all, it is the Republican “rich”… if you are a “progressive” – you get a pass.

7 out of the top 10 richest members of Congress are Democrats. The wealth of those 7 ($570.3 million) is greater than the total of the lower 40 ($489.8 million), Republican and Democrat.

There are more Republicans on the list, 31 out of 50, and the total of those 31 is greater than the Democrats ($906.16 million to $712.46 million) but the average wealth per member of the 19 Democrats is over $8.2 million more than the 31 Republicans.

Who are “the rich” in Congress?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

God was speaking, at the time to the Nation of Israel, a Government last time I checked.

I guarantee you, there are numerous versus in the bible where God says, to paraphrase:

The best amongst you are those who treat the poor the best.

And those who don’t
“Are not of me”

Check it out, Google it, you will be surprised.

Remember about that rich guy going to heaven only if the camel gets through the eye of a needle.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

SPENT!

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot."

Henry Morgenthau, FDR's Secretary of the Treasury.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Where in the BIBLE does it say outsource to government?

Where?

That was about SELF doing right by others of FREE WILL and SELF not at the point of a barrel of a gun by government fascism.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Mark 12:16

They brought one. And He said to them, "Whose likeness and inscription is this?" And they said to Him, "Caesar's." 17And Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." And they were amazed at Him.

Source with support

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Roosevelt spent out of the depression and got scared by rhetoric and stopped spending and then the recovery went bust.
It was World War II that got us out of the worst of the great Depression, and that of course included massive spending on armaments.

Of course spending must be wise, not foolhardy.

We spent our way out of World War II debt—that was huge—by wise investments in the infrastructure

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat

www.biblegateway.com...

We can prolly go all nite with bible quotes.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I really don't want to get into the discussion, it seems that there is no agreement possible on this one. I did find a two year old article from The Huffington Post which should be liberal enough for the OP or anyone else. Here's the beginning of it:

Americans' wages are falling, perhaps a reason why pessimism about their personal finances is now the lowest it's been in a decade.

The annual median wage fell in 2010 for the second year in a row to $26,364, a 1.2 percent drop from 2009, and the lowest level since 1999, according to David Cay Johnston at Reuters.

Meanwhile, U.S. households are growing increasingly concerned about their finances with more than 20 percent of adult Americans rating their financial situation as "poor," a Gallup poll finds. That's a larger share than the 16 to 19 percent of Americans who viewed their finances as poor during and after the recession. It's also the highest percentage since 2001, the first year of the survey, according to Gallup.

In some ways, the financial crisis has taken more of a toll on the employed during the recovery. Indeed, Americans' incomes have fallen more during the recovery than they did during the recession. Incomes dropped 6.7 percent during the recovery between June 2009 and June 2011, compared to a 3.2 percent drop during the recession from December 2007 to June 2009, a study from former Census Bureau officials found.

And it will take some time to get incomes back to where they were before the recession. The U.S. median income has declined 7 percent in the last 10 years and while economists expect incomes to rise over the next decade, it likely won't be enough to return to pre-recession income levels, the Wall Street Journal reports.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

reply to post by SpaDe_

SPENT!

There is one huge difference between now and then.

On August 5, 2011, after Congress 2011 U.S. debt-ceiling crisis of the United States federal government, the credit rating agency Standard & Poor's downgraded the credit rating of the United States federal government from AAA to AA+. It was the first time the US had been downgraded since it was originally given a AAA rating on its debt by Moody's in 1917.[27] According to the BBC, Standard & Poor's had "lost confidence" in the ability of the United States government to make decisions.

Source

We no longer have a AAA credit rating which allowed us to keep borrowing nearly interest free. We are sitting at a tipping point where if we get downgraded one more time, our ability to borrow will come at a cost that most people cannot even begin to wrap their heads around.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join