It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Council votes to Force Walmart to pay "living wage"--50% over minimum wage.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by SilentKillah

Target is not the same as Walmart. They are 2 very distinct business models and in what they offer to the consumer.

How so?... please explain as I don't see a difference.

They both sell the same consumer products. They are both retail stores. They both sell groceries. I remember a day when Target didn't sell groceries, now they do. They're growing just like Walmart once did when KMart was on top. Target is waiting for their chance to make the move.

Different business models... maybe. Different brands... some. Same goods.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I have made the same observation before regarding low paying jobs removing low paid people from a market.

I don't understand what's happening here, but it looks like old time serfdom is making a comeback.

Wait!, it's called "Peonage".

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Garkiniss

You do realize that it isn't Walmart that's destroying "nearly all of the small business". No one is forcing people to shop at Walmart over the places they formerly shopped.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Sounds like she went into a career field without high demand. Not the problem of anyone but you and her.

edit on 31-7-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

Never said is was anyone else's problem... that was in no way my point. My point is, s/he keeps acting like the only people working at Walmart are trash and it's not the case. If my wife and I were to divorce, she would have to work at Walmart, making minum wage, and have people like him/her calling her someone's "baby momma" thinking she doesn't know "who da baby daddy". Borderline sexist and racist.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You're correct that a CEO makes far-reaching decisions and is important. However, without cashiers the company wouldn't be able to effectively operate. We're all cogs in an interconnected system.

Picture a Swiss watch. Damn fine piece of engineering, its very precise and it all works together to tell the time. Now, lets remove some of those gears and replace them with poorly made plastic ones.

What? The watch doesn't work as smoothly as it used to? Oh well, at least it can still tell time. But why stop there? We can make the watch cheaper if we don't use sapphire crystal faces.

Now the face is all scratched up because it was replaced with cheap plastic. Oh well, if you angle it right you can still tell the time. Hey, one last thing we can do to save money is replace the band! Why use expensive leather when we can use synthetic?

Now the watch band breaks and the watch is pretty much worthless.

You see, we are all part and parcel invested in our economy. In one way or another we all have our roles to play to keep everything moving. When companies sacrifice quantity/profits over quality we all loose.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My opinion, you want a living wage go and get it. Some jobs are training jobs, starting jobs, gain experience sort of jobs. Jobs that you begin, you learn, you improve upon your skill set then move on.

When did a starting job become a career is what I think I missed out on, when did people with no skills decide that even though they have not improved, have not gained useful knowledge decide that, they are now better and entitled to more money, all the while not providing any extra use to the employer.

This is the beginning of an even greater handout society, the people who fell off and decided not to get with the program will now be given more money, all the while that person who went and got a skilled job (trades, labour) get what? To work harder and have to learn more to get more money. All the while the walmart greeter with a menial set of skills is entitled to a wage increase to whats called a livable wage.

Well what is a livable wage, is it a wage where you have cable, internet, a brand new I-phone, data plan, car with insurance, eat out. Or is it a wage where you get bye make ends meet, and strive for better. All the while not enjoying luxury, because they realize the value of a dollar they have to "earn"

In my opinion we are creating an even larger pool of bottom feeders how many people already on food stamps unwilling to do more because they have it easy already. How many more people at jobs that need no skill are going to ask for more, and how much more can a company give, when in turn they get nothing in return.

To me this is just as bad as when they increased minimum wage here, and some lauded it others such as myself couldn't understand how across the board raises for nothing were warranted and it seems employers did too and cut staff and raised prices because what equates more to an entitlement that common sense had done damage to there business.

You want a living wage do as those have before you, work for it, don't expect it, the more people we raise expecting something for nothing, then the more hands out we will always have, and less people willing to do what it takes to succeed because, doing nothing just seems easier.

SaneThinking

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

Originally posted by seabag

I'm saying a young guy working in Wal-Mart should earn enough to buy a starter home, a first car, pay his bills, and take a vacation; actually provide for his family.

That is unrealistic for an entry level worker; they’re a dime a dozen.

It’s your responsibility to make yourself valuable and marketable. Everyone doesn’t get a trophy in the real world.

no but he should be able to at lest get his own apartment and pay for food, what kind of heartless monster are you lol they employ a lot of vets too you know

I’ll share this again because obviously you missed it. There aren’t many people making minimum wage and the vast majority who do are between 16 and 19 years of age!

In 2012, there were 3.6 million hourly paid workers in the United States with wages at or below the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. These workers made up 4.7 percent of the 75.3 million workers age 16 and over who were paid at hourly rates.
www.bls.gov...

You’ve got to start somewhere! I did it!!! I remember making $4.25 per hour as a kid! Hell, that's about what I averaged my first year in the military!

edit on 31-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

lol the unemployement rate is realistically at 15 percent well maybe 20 so showing that 16 to 19 teen year olds have most of the minumun wage jobs while their parents help support them isn't proving anything. You are forgetting that your 4.25 lol isnt equal because of inflation lol in 2012 7.25=4.97 compared to 1996 meaning 7.25 per hour wage is actually like making 4.97, in 1996 and your 4.25 = 4.38 and the cost of living was cheaper, food was cheaper, gas was cheaper ect I remember 1996 the cost of a one bedroom apt cost 300 but you made 700 dollars a month lol a one bedroom goes for 900 dollars in california now

link   

Originally posted by Tazkven
reply to post by seagull
Why is it our responsibility as tax payers to supplement the income of workers who work for a multi-billion dollar company?

It isn't our responsibility as tax payers, hopefully these entitlement programs will continue to be cut back.

link   

Originally posted by FuZe7
reply to post by digital01anarchy

The Waltons don't kill "mom and pop" business. No one is forcing anyone to shop at Walmart. People shop there because for whatever reason they prefer it over small independent business.

Why do you want to limit peoples choices of where to shop?

People shop there because the cost of living is going up and up, while wages are stagnant. They can't afford to spend $8 for a pack of t-shirts at Bob's Awesome Clothes, when the same shirts can be purchased at Wal-Mart for $3. Especially if this person has a family to feed and bills to pay, and an ever-increasing mortgage breathing down their neck.
And Bob's Awesome Clothes can't afford to sell his shirts for $3 a pack, because he only has the means/storage to order/store a 2,000 unit bulk shipment, while Wal-Mart can pay fractions of a penny for those same shirts because they can order 30,000,000 units, thus name their buying price, and store them in countless distribution warehouses across the country. Bob doesn't have this option, and so he loses businesses. In a booming economy, no one in their right mind would shop at or work for Wal-Mart, but in case you haven't noticed, the economy ain't boomin', and for many Walmart is the only option.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Walmart says 'We have jobs if anyone wants them. This is what we pay'.
People can say 'Yes, I'll take it' or 'No, I don't want it'. It's that simple.

This^^^^^^

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I think you are taking offense to a future action, in that case.

Again, it sounds like she chose a career field that has a low demand. Can't fault anyone else for that choice.
If Walmart is all she can find, then that is better then nothing.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
My opinion, you want a living wage go and get it. Some jobs are training jobs, starting jobs, gain experience sort of jobs. Jobs that you begin, you learn, you improve upon your skill set then move on.

When did a starting job become a career is what I think I missed out on, when did people with no skills decide that even though they have not improved, have not gained useful knowledge decide that, they are now better and entitled to more money, all the while not providing any extra use to the employer.

This is the beginning of an even greater handout society, the people who fell off and decided not to get with the program will now be given more money, all the while that person who went and got a skilled job (trades, labour) get what? To work harder and have to learn more to get more money. All the while the walmart greeter with a menial set of skills is entitled to a wage increase to whats called a livable wage.

Well what is a livable wage, is it a wage where you have cable, internet, a brand new I-phone, data plan, car with insurance, eat out. Or is it a wage where you get bye make ends meet, and strive for better. All the while not enjoying luxury, because they realize the value of a dollar they have to "earn"

In my opinion we are creating an even larger pool of bottom feeders how many people already on food stamps unwilling to do more because they have it easy already. How many more people at jobs that need no skill are going to ask for more, and how much more can a company give, when in turn they get nothing in return.

To me this is just as bad as when they increased minimum wage here, and some lauded it others such as myself couldn't understand how across the board raises for nothing were warranted and it seems employers did too and cut staff and raised prices because what equates more to an entitlement that common sense had done damage to there business.

You want a living wage do as those have before you, work for it, don't expect it, the more people we raise expecting something for nothing, then the more hands out we will always have, and less people willing to do what it takes to succeed because, doing nothing just seems easier.

SaneThinking

some of you aren't understanding anything and don't have a clue what you are talking about if by living wage you mean no electricity and a room yeah awesome what a luxury You just paid 900 dollars for a one bed room which is your whole pay check after taxes lol be sure to borrow blankets, get donated shoes from the salvation army so you can walk to work and dont forget to eat your one meal a day from the homeless shelter.
edit on 31-7-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah

Target is not the same as Walmart. They are 2 very distinct business models and in what they offer to the consumer.

How so?... please explain as I don't see a difference.

They both sell the same consumer products. They are both retail stores. They both sell groceries. I remember a day when Target didn't sell groceries, now they do. They're growing just like Walmart once did when KMart was on top. Target is waiting for their chance to make the move.

Different business models... maybe. Different brands... some. Same goods.

Don't know about your area, but here, most Targets are mostly home items and clothing. Walmarts are mostly grocery stores, with house wares and clothing.

But, who is to say that Target will pay this wage to their employees.

I know I wouldn't.
edit on 31-7-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garkiniss
"Better Themselves." And how much "Better" is the CEO of a corporation than his average floor worker? I'd like you to put a dollar percentage amount on what you believe that difference is. I'm curious how much "better" you tell yourself these people are.

A CEO of a corporation is much more valuable to a company than a cashier.

It has very little responsibility.

Really? The person taking in the money is not valuable and doesn't have a VERY important role to the company??? I bet if the cashier starts "losing" cash daily this mindset changes.

My old boss told me when I was hired to management in the Department of Treasury "Your team of employees are what gives you your job. If you don't take care of them, then they won't take care of the job. I had to lear this the hard way... it took me 20 years to get it right. If I'd known then what I do now, I would have made SES. But I was selfish to the point that they didn't take care of me." I wrote down his exact words and that same piece of paper sits alongside of my DoD awards on my desk.

I guess the soldier isn't as important as the Secretary of Defense. The SECDEF can do it all alone.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Take personal responsibility, people! If you don’t like the wage you’re making, quit!!!! Go back to school and better yourself!!!! Stop crying about it and stop demanding other people’s money!!!

I couldn't agree more. When I was a mere truck driver, I whined with everyone about the rich companies screwing us on every load because we got chump change while they made millions....or so it seemed. Then, for a couple years, I owned my truck and ran it from top to bottom as a business I was sole proprietor in. Oh, was THAT a wake up. First up? As I'm sure you know...that friendly little FICA line we're used to seeing as employees? Double that when you own the business...and the first shock of many to come.

I'd listen to the truckers bitch about the man who owned the company I drove my last several years with, after turning my truck in and returning to a paycheck...just to realize what a fool I sounded like before I'd live it to know better. Bahhh....... Like Walmart, the guy I drove for made good money. A couple vacations a year to the Bahamas and Paris.....but made that on scale, not by screwing any ONE of us. Each truck made squat....he just had nearly 30 of them to balance out and form a real payday for himself.

It never ceases to amaze me how people always think it's greener somewhere else and they're getting screwed while everyone above them is living like a King. Errr.. Okay, the Walton's are...but they represent a few of the millions. Scale...it's all economy of scale. Walmart's prices sure don't program in tons of profit by comparison to others.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

lol the unemployement rate is realistically at 15 percent well maybe 20 so showing that 16 to 19 teen year olds have most of the minumun wage jobs while their parents help support them isn't proving anything. You are forgetting that your 4.25 lol isnt equal because of inflation lol in 2012 7.25=4.97 compared to 1996 meaning 7.25 per hour wage is actually like making 4.97, in 1996 and your 4.25 = 4.38 and the cost of living was cheaper, food was cheaper, gas was cheaper ect I remember 1996 the cost of a one bedroom apt cost 300 but you made 700 dollars a month lol a one bedroom goes for 900 dollars in california now

BOOHOOOHOOOO!

Stop whining and take responsibility for yourself….that goes for all of us! Your employer doesn’t owe you anything but a paycheck, and YOU don’t get to decide what your wage is. Get another job or make yourself marketable!

Don’t tell me that I made enough back then. I joined the military because I couldn’t afford to support myself!! I had a roommate and still couldn’t afford insurance for my car!!

Guess what! I don’t have that problem today because I WORKED my way out of that situation. Suck it up, Nancy!

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentKillah

Originally posted by Garkiniss
"Better Themselves." And how much "Better" is the CEO of a corporation than his average floor worker? I'd like you to put a dollar percentage amount on what you believe that difference is. I'm curious how much "better" you tell yourself these people are.

A CEO of a corporation is much more valuable to a company than a cashier.

It has very little responsibility.

Really? The person taking in the money is not valuable and doesn't have a VERY important role to the company??? I bet if the cashier starts "losing" cash daily this mindset changes.

My old boss told me when I was hired to management in the Department of Treasury "Your team of employees are what gives you your job. If you don't take care of them, then they won't take care of the job. I had to lear this the hard way... it took me 20 years to get it right. If I'd known then what I do now, I would have made SES. But I was selfish to the point that they didn't take care of me." I wrote down his exact words and that same piece of paper sits alongside of my DoD awards on my desk.

I guess the soldier isn't as important as the Secretary of Defense. The SECDEF can do it all alone.

The General or SOD has always been more valuable then the foot soldier.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

It's very simple, I can go out today and find hundreds of people in my town within a few hours that are qualified and capable of being cashiers. For that reason, they're not very valuable at all.

Now, the search for a person capable of running a Fortune 500 company. I would definitely have to go outside my city, probably outside my State. In the entire United States there are probably only a dozen people capable of running Walmart. That makes the CEO extremely valuable.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

So Walmart is doing us a good service by offering affordable products that we couldn't otherwise afford in a recession?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuZe7

So Walmart is doing us a good service by offering affordable products that we couldn't otherwise afford in a recession?

No, they're creating unemployment by pushing Main St. shops out of business, and exacerbating things by keeping very few employees per store via increased automation, not to mention they've increased their overseas business, meaning they're buying/producing less in the states.

The company is a cancer.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join