It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Go To Church?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

You mean the "truth" that religion has taught you? I thought religion lied?

Mind... blown...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Here's what you said earlier:

And why would I question his [Constantine's] motives?

"Let's legalize Christianity then kill all those pagans who refuse to convert."

-Constantine
edit on 23-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

The Edict of Milan only legalized Christian worship. Constantine's 2nd successor Theodocius I made it the official religion of the Empire of Rome. Read the excerpt again from the Edict. It makes legal all religions, Christian as well as pagan.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Constantine had to legalize it before it could become the official religion didn't he?

He ended up killing pagans after he decided to legalize Christianity. I guess he wasn't really all about freedom of religion as you assume. He wouldn't have killed pagans for being pagans if he was.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Constantine had to legalize it before it could become the official religion didn't he?

He ended up killing pagans after he decided to legalize Christianity. I guess he wasn't really all about freedom of religion as you assume. He wouldn't have killed pagans for being pagans if he was.

As Emperor Constantine could have made it the religion of the Empire had he wanted to. I think you need to brush up on your Roman history:

HERE

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

What's your point? He killed pagans for not converting to Christianity, that's all the proof you need to see what his motives were.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

You mean the "truth" that religion has taught you? I thought religion lied?

The only thing that religion has taught me is that it always lies.

I was referring to the lies that YOU keep repeating and claim to believe.

All you do is parrot what the MSM says but NEVER ever back it up with any credible evidence...

I can only guess that is because there IS no credible evidence.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Where have I parroted anything the MSM has said?
I think you're fantasizing on that one, because I don't trust anything they say.

What's one thing you believe that Christianity doesn't teach? Don't hurt yourself thinking about it.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

What's your point? He killed pagans for not converting to Christianity, that's all the proof you need to see what his motives were.

You didn't even read the link.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Here's what you said earlier:

And why would I question his [Constantine's] motives?

"Let's legalize Christianity then kill all those pagans who refuse to convert."

-Constantine

Constantine himself was a pagan. Go look at the arch he had commemorated for his victory over Maxentius. Not one Christian symbol on that entire arch, but plenty of Roman gods engraved therein. The whole deal with him building Constantinople was to build his own city, which allegorically represents his bride. Caesars were to be worshipped as if they were a god. He didn't give a rats ass about Zion and every mural, frescoe and mosaic always depicted Jesus with Constantines face on him.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Then why did he order pagan temples and altars to be brought down and replaced by Christian imagery? He supposedly converted on his death bed and even claimed to have seen a vision crom the Christian god at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge.

Do you not trust his word?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Then why did he order pagan temples and altars to be brought down and replaced by Christian imagery? He supposedly converted on his death bed and even claimed to have seen a vision crom the Christian god at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge.

Do you not trust his word?

Constantine sought to unite the fractured roman empire, before he assumed the throne the empire had been split into 4, each with it's own general acting as a Caesar. He saw how quickly the Christian faith was spreading like wild fire and was rapidly destroying the pagan religions around it. His plan was to install the Mithras priesthood over the Christians and merge the 2 religions. Archeaological evidence found all over Europe gives indications that the cult of Mithras began to gain control of the Jesus worshipping Christians starting with the roman officers, many early roman churches excavated in ruins in England and other places were found to have Mithras chapels hiding right under the Christian soldiers noses. The pagans invaded Christianity and started masquerading as Christians and it started right from the top with the officers and general Constantine. That's why the cult of Mithras disappeared roughly 15-20 years before Constantine defeated Maxentius, it went underground. Constantine wasn't stupid, he knew he couldn't afford to have Christians and pagans duking it out in a civil war, while Maxentius actually succeeded uniting his own army who also had Christians in his ranks.

After Constantine defeated Maxentius, he fabricated a story and vilified him, as was often the roman way when an opponent was defeated, they were executed and their history was erased to the best of the surviving champion's ability in a type of early smear campaign (very Mafiosi like). It was character assassination, after the subject was already dead. Kings, Lords and Emperors have been doing this to their defeated enemies ever since.

All those statues of saints are not saints, they are statues of pagan gods, renamed after saints. St. Peter's Basilica was originally the Temple of Jupiter. Madonnas of "Mary" and "baby Jesus" are actually Venus and her infant son Cupid.

That vision he had was pure fiction as part of his character assassination of Maxentius, and to get the Christians on his side and then he supposedly converted on his deathbed, claiming that an Emperor had to accumulate a lot of sins during his reign, and then he was allegedly baptized by water, believing the water washed away his sins.

No Christian believes water washes away sins, but only the blood of Jesus. He was terribly transparent to real Christians and those who challenged him ended up in a shallow grave.
edit on 23-7-2013 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This made me laugh:

Bishop Wilfred Lai is the founder and senior Pastor of Jesus Celebration Center in Mombasa, Kenya and it is a church of over 15,000 members. One day he asked the Lord how many of them were ready for heaven and the Lord told him only 200. Only 1% of that church is going to heaven! Dr. Lai said that some pastors have created large groups of sinners meeting in the name of God. “What you have are not churches, but large congregations of sinners.”

Seriously? What ELSE would you call a church? Is a church not a large congregation of sinners? Find me one perfect human being on the whole of this earth, and I will point out a liar.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
This made me laugh:

Bishop Wilfred Lai is the founder and senior Pastor of Jesus Celebration Center in Mombasa, Kenya and it is a church of over 15,000 members. One day he asked the Lord how many of them were ready for heaven and the Lord told him only 200. Only 1% of that church is going to heaven! Dr. Lai said that some pastors have created large groups of sinners meeting in the name of God. “What you have are not churches, but large congregations of sinners.”

Seriously? What ELSE would you call a church? Is a church not a large congregation of sinners? Find me one perfect human being on the whole of this earth, and I will point out a liar.

Best place for a sinner to be is in church. Amen!

Besides, Jesus said he didn't come to save the righteous, he came to save sinners. He likely won't bother with the self righteous, he never did 2000 years ago.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinder
It seems that life is too important to base it on 'blind faith'.

Shouldn't we be concentrating on the basic needs and welfare of our fellow man?

Can we improve the world without diluting the basic principle of 'do unto others' and without a 'ruling' class developing?

Blind faith of an atheist, God doesnt exist?
Basic human needs go beyond finances, relationships are important as well

Is the world improving, atheism is on the rise, so are the wealthy and poor.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

Is it blind faith to state Santa doesn't exist?

Or is it that there's no reason to believe he actually does exist?

Actually the world has never been better (in regards to wars and deaths). Has this got something to do with the spread of information and the drop in the number of religious people? Who knows...........it's a happy coincidence tho...

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

Is it blind faith to state Santa doesn't exist?

Actually the world has never been better (in regards to wars and deaths). Has this got something to do with the spread of information and the drop in the number of religious people? Who knows...........it's a happy coincidence tho...

You believe in aliens, ghosts, evidently no evidence.... faith?
Santa and the Easter bunny dont have many witnesses to their existence, Christ does. You deny He lived.
Anybody die for santa and the bunny?
silly argument isnt it really?

and read this forum, yeah the world is just a peach

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

Hey uh, speak for yourself there guy. I see evidence of His existence all around me.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
This made me laugh:

Correct. On this planet you have two groups of people. Unrepentant sinners and repentant sinners. Anyone who claims to be without sin is a liar and the truth is not in them. These "vision" stories are easily debunked by scripture. Such as Everyone who calls upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved.". Likewise Romans 10:9-10.

Stories like these immediately remind me of the time Jesus was pointing out in the temple the difference between the Pharisee and the Publican. And we all know which one of those two Jesus said was justified.

edit on 26-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

You believe in aliens, ghosts, evidently no evidence.... faith?

I do do I? is that how it works, you tell people what they believe?

I consider the existence of alien life to be incredibly likely considering the vast scale of the universe and the fact that we know life already exists in the universe...........but ghosts? those creatures only found in story books and old wives tales? no, I don't believe such things exist. But I know you do.........on zero evidence....

Santa and the Easter bunny dont have many witnesses to their existence, Christ does.

People claim to have been visited by Aliens every single day. We can go and actually speak to them, couples even whole families. We can get information from them from the night before, not nearly a hundred years later, and not from a friend of theirs who heard them say they saw aliens (like all of Jesus's "witnesses").

Does this mean Alien visitors are real? or that personal testimony on such claims are worthless?

You deny He lived.

People deny the holocaust didn't happen, despite all the evidence. People deny evolution despite all the evidence. I have nothing to deny, I merely do not take a book written by desert wretches, filled with incredible claims and awful tales to be true, and this is due to the lack of any evidence, at all.

Anybody die for santa and the bunny?
silly argument isnt it really?

Yes thats a very silly argument

How many people have died for Allah? For Zeus? For Odin?

Is people killing themselves in a Gods name a sign of authentication?

Or a sign of weak minds and indoctrination?

and read this forum, yeah the world is just a peach

While I love this website, if it's your only window into world events............maybe a security blanket really is suitable (for you).

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Prezbo369

Hey uh, speak for yourself there guy. I see evidence of His existence all around me.

Of course you do......

But not enough for you to take that final leap no?

I know that if I thought there was a wonderful afterlife waiting for me, and I absolutely hated wearing this meat suit (that farts poo's and burp's) while on this world I hated, I'd have left a very long time ago.

But I also know people make excuses when their conviction isn't as strong as they profess.....

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join