It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer fired for offering fellow cops Trayvon Martin target for shooting practice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Sry mods if this is the wrong forum

Wow a sergeant on the Port Canaveral police department was fired for offering other officers a Travon Martin target to shoot at. it says the other officers refused to use it

How can anyone think this is a good idea, especially a sergeant on a police department in Florida
link

A Port Canaveral police sergeant was fired Friday after an internal investigation showed he offered other officers a target resembling Trayvon Martin to use for shooting practice.

Sgt. Ron King, a two-year veteran of the force of about 35 sworn officers, offered the target of a hoodie-wearing Trayvon at the range near Cocoa on April 4, Rosalind Harvey, a port spokeswoman, said Saturday.

The other officers, who were on duty, refused.

He should be fired, just about as insensitive as it gets
edit on 13-4-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
He should be fired for being insensitive? We have truly crooked cops running around the streets acting like judge dredd and you think this guy should be fired for a target that has a picture of what looks like Trayvon Martin? Wow! I think a simple reprimand would have sufficed, but firing the guy is a little drastic in this instance.

Who cares if it was in poor taste! Boohoo! People these days need to seriously get some thicker skin. There is a picture floating around of Gabby Giffords shooting at a target that shows a white hooded teenager, where is the outrage over that?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
He should be fired for being insensitive? We have truly crooked cops running around the streets acting like judge dredd and you think this guy should be fired for a target that has a picture of what looks like Trayvon Martin? Wow! I think a simple reprimand would have sufficed, but firing the guy is a little drastic in this instance.

Who cares if it was in poor taste! Boohoo! People these days need to seriously get some thicker skin. There is a picture floating around of Gabby Giffords shooting at a target that shows a white hooded teenager, where is the outrage over that?

I think he should fired out pure stupidity

The outrage is probably because its a Florida cop and its Trayvon..

You really think Florida cops should be using that for taget practice?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It doesn't matter what I think, it is his choice and if the department found it in poor taste they should have reprimanded him and told him that it was unacceptable. Firing the guy over a paper target is just ridiculous.
edit on 4/13/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Ignoring the picture for a moment...Isn't it sad that humans used targets to practice killing other humans?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
WOW.

There is just ignoring politically correct, there is black humor that few understand outside the professions where it's a survival mechanism ....and then there is mentally ILL.

I do believe the cop needs referral to a psychiatrist, after the firing. His judgement is so bad, I wouldn't trust him to have him behind me in the checkout line of a supermarket!

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is how you find out that nobody you know is as racist as you had assumed. Major faux pas. Not sure if this will end his career as a cop or not. He may be forced to move to Alabama or somewhere.

Take-home message: if you're going to offer someone a Trayvon Martin range target, you'd better make sure they're pretty darned racist.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I didn't really follow the Treyvon Martin case that much but I believe the firing of this cop was justified. A person should realize that an officer of the law needs to have the upmost clear conscience and this shooting target, even if it was a gimmick/joke, is a look into the psychology of this officer.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
really ?? another tasteless target and this one warrants a firing ????
PC much ??

gotta wonder if the entire departments were 'reprimanded' for their target selections from this place, remember?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

perhaps the one above was obtained from the nmh vs the NMH selections ??
(need more hesitation vs NO More Hesitation)

so yeah, promote the guy who tazed the wheel-chair bound vet wielding a pen ... and fire a guy for poor taste
... i don't believe i want to understand any more

ETA --> knowing TMs parents trademarked his name, i've got to wonder who 'developed/marketed' these targets and whose pocket their use benefits ??
anyone know ?
edit on 13-4-2013 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I didn't follow it much either, but this cops behavior is like a little window, through we can see what he thought HE could see, that all cops are like him! It just happens that this time he was wrong.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
.....and to other news- police officers beat innocent civilian half to death-

...He is on paid suspension.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well I guess this is another example of cops not sticking up for cops. Apparently they have no problem putting one of their own on the alter for sacrifice if it would threaten their images.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
well out of the many police departments that suck at least this one has some care about what type of officers they have on their employment...

The fact that this guy thinks its awsome to shoot at a target of a black kid holding no weapons in the store is enough to fire him.. Police dont use targets like this to practice, why would they unless they are fantasying about shooting unarmed children...

How could you ever even shoot anyone holding the 2 greatest inventions skittles and arizona ice tea... there is no way bro..

But yah it just goes to show he has mental issues that he thought that was a good idea and they nipped the problem in the bud before it got to the next step of him beating or shooting an innocent black kid.. So yah they are right to do so, maybe if more departments followed this logic we wouldn't be having so many issues with cops...

People like this should not have a badge.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
well out of the many police departments that suck at least this one has some care about what type of officers they have on their employment...

The fact that this guy thinks its awsome to shoot at a target of a black kid holding no weapons in the store is enough to fire him.. Police dont use targets like this to practice, why would they unless they are fantasying about shooting unarmed children...

How could you ever even shoot anyone holding the 2 greatest inventions skittles and arizona ice tea... there is no way bro..

But yah it just goes to show he has mental issues that he thought that was a good idea and they nipped the problem in the bud before it got to the next step of him beating or shooting an innocent black kid.. So yah they are right to do so, maybe if more departments followed this logic we wouldn't be having so many issues with cops...

People like this should not have a badge.

I agree with this poster..every word is correct...screw that cop..

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
reply to post by indigothefish

I didn't follow it much either, but this cops behavior is like a little window, through we can see what he thought HE could see, that all cops are like him! It just happens that this time he was wrong.

OR...they are just as racist, but exercised some common sense and chose to distance themselves from this rather obvious display of open racism, realizing it could have serious effects on their personal and professional lives should it become known they participated. probably a mix of the two possibilities.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

nah. i think they only wish to appear like they care for public relations purposes. like this incident was their first clue that some of their officers are racist? i doubt that very much. more like they realized that if this ever got out into the realm of public knowledge, they'd have a lot of explaining to do and fires to put out. the Seargent was a sacrifice.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
"a two year veteran of the force" That line explains it all.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If it is a case of incredibly bad judgement (to say the least), then I think before firing this man, they should have taken him off active duty, assigned him desk duty, made him attend anti-racial and sensitivity classes, and have a full psych eval. Then, fire him.

If there was no target on the poster, then I can see this as a valuable range test to use for an "innocent" that pops out. It will allow them to see if they would react to this image as threatening, without any weapon in sight.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Freeze! Drop the iced tea and the skittles!

Nope, doesn't add up.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Well I guess this is another example of cops not sticking up for cops. Apparently they have no problem putting one of their own on the alter for sacrifice if it would threaten their images.

Are you insane? This is a picture of a KID !!!!!! Bravo to any cop out there that calls out this crap !

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join