It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treating Grandmother's Alzheimer’s With Coconut OIl and Flaxseed...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Try Turmeric.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
Starting phase 1 of treatments we have heard of. Me and my family cares for my grandmother who is suffering from this disease.

I will be giving her doses of cocunut oil and flaxseed oil, fresh organic versions of each.

Here is the flaxseed oil i am giving her at the recommended dosage on the bottle.
Flaxseed...

Coconut oil....
Coconuts...

We are choosing to try this based on this article and other reported cases of it helping(not curing).

Dr. Newport’s book is highly personal. Her husband, Steve, has Alzheimer’s, and this is her search for something to halt or reverse his decline. Her quest led her to research suggesting that ketones may help treat various neurological disorders, including Alzheimer’s. Ketones are byproducts of the breakdown of fats in the body; small amounts are normally produced. Ketone levels rise when you fast or go on a very-low-carbohydrate diet (which can lead to a state called ketosis).

Source...

DISCLAIMER: We WILL be talking about this with her doctor and taking reasonable precautions.

Anyway i will let you guys know how it goes if your interested. Any other advice is appreciated.
edit on 23-12-2012 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2012 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Have you all considered trying Lion's Mane mushroom as well? some info: altmedicine.about.com...

www.mushroom-appreciation.com...

Good luck. I wish you much success with this.
edit on 25-12-2012 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) is a type of medicinal mushroom. Long used in traditional Chinese medicine, lion's mane is widely available in supplement form. Scientific research shows that lion's mane contains a number of health-promoting substances, including antioxidants and beta-glucan.

Source..

Ill have to dig deeper and find out what scientific research means.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Lion's mane (Hericium erinaceus) is a type of medicinal mushroom. Long used in traditional Chinese medicine, lion's mane is widely available in supplement form. Scientific research shows that lion's mane contains a number of health-promoting substances, including antioxidants and beta-glucan.

Source..

Ill have to dig deeper and find out what scientific research means.

This article has a bit more depth on it: www.livestrong.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by almera
Hi all, very interesting thread. I know it is off topic, but does some of you know if some of these oils or extracts will help for Parkinson desease. My sister has parkinson and her medical treatments does'nt seem to help her much if at all.
edit on 25-12-2012 by almera because: spelling

Personally, I have an elderly acquaintance (80+) who was exhibiting Parkinson-like tremors that ceased after I suggested drinking Kombucha tea. His tremors stopped, but returned after he stopped drinking the tea!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Toots

Personally, I have an elderly acquaintance (80+) who was exhibiting Parkinson-like tremors that ceased after I suggested drinking Kombucha tea. His tremors stopped, but returned after he stopped drinking the tea!

thanks Toots for replying and the link. I'll suggest my sister to try the kombucha tea and coconut oil.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Toots

I drink kombucha a few times a week myself. I don't know if we want to introduce something as strong as kombucha right now were just kind of taking it slow. Most of my family is reluctant to try these things.

Oh, yeah sorry i just got off work a little tired. Haha, oh well. Didn't realize you was responding to that poster.
edit on 26-12-2012 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I fully understand your apprehension and guarded position in introducing Kombucha at this point. I was wary a year ago concerning my SO and a dear friend.....they were/are walking, talking pharmaceutical poison factories! As such, I introduced it to both of them by diluting some and allowing them to sample a small amount. They liked it and wanted more! Neither of them reacted negatively to it, so I gradually increased the amount and monitored them carefully. Again, no adverse reactions. Plus, within a short period of time, both showed significant improvement in their health conditions and now, a year later, both have eliminated the need for several of their Rx's. And I've heard of people benefiting from drinking as little as 1 oz daily.

Blessings to all for better health in 2013.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Week one start off poorly no results. We missed half of the days. My father wasn't giving her doses for like two days. Report back next week in going to do it this time.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Week one start off poorly no results. We missed half of the days. My father wasn't giving her doses for like two days. Report back next week in going to do it this time.

Bummer!

As an aside, I was just notified of a sale that ends on December 31, in case anyone reading this is interested in getting a real BARGAIN on organic extra virgin coconut oil.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Toots because: url correction

edit on 28-12-2012 by Toots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Been reading your posts and thanks for presenting this OP. This has started me to do a bit of research in the coconut oil. The nets is full of the physician in FL treating her husband. But if you dig deeper you find more substantial information supporting coconut oil in the treatment of dementia and Alzheimer's.

Here's my dilemma, my mother recently moved to assisted living due to improper nutrition and dehydration. She has had cat scans and blood work, none say its alz. Just very moderate dementia. Now that her meals are being prepared for her, getting pure coconut oil into her diet on a regular basis would require extra prep which staff would not necessarily be able to do. We are having a hard enough time just getting her to be agreeable to eat and bathe. But they do administer her meds twice a day. After researching here is what I found: the active ingredient that makes coconut oil so effective is Caprylic acid. It was in medical trials for two rounds, but they choose not to do the 3rd and final round and classified it as prescription food. It was trialed under the name Axona active ingredient Ketasyn which is caprylic acid. Elevating the ketones in the bloodstream that feed the cells in the brain when they are no longer able to absorb or use glucose. So here is the dilemma, does it have to be pure coconut oil which contains up to 7500 mg of caprylic acid per 100g, or can we supplement with Caprylic Acid tablets to get comparable improvement.

For extra reference I found this site that objectively evaluates coconut oil use in Alzheimer patients. blog.lef.org...

After some study I found Caprylic Acid successfully treats a myriad of conditions:
intractable seizures
anti-epileptic
anti-fungal
anti-candida
anti-bloating
irritable bowel
depression
chronic fatigue
gall stones
salmonella
increases ghrelin, appetite stimulant
enhances calcium and magnesium absorption
balances digestive flora

When I found this I saw so many of my mother's life long symptoms! Chronic fatigue does not begin to even touch what she is experiencing now days. To the point that if pushed to just do lifes basics she can have a seizure and passout. Been hospitalized 3 times since August for this. They hydrate she feel better they send her home. She's becoming accustom to increased hydration, and am so proud she has embraced this. But her dementia is some days worse than others, no true clear days anymore, she still knows me for now.

Here is my request, is Caprylic Acid supplement the same as the active ingredient in pure coconut oil? If so what is a good starter dose and what would be an appropriate maintenance dose. We don't have a doctor's appointment for 2 more weeks, and will be researching as much as I can to discuss this with both her neurologist and her GP.

edit on 29-12-2012 by SunflowerStar because: sp

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Switching to healthy oils like coconut make a major difference, but you have to control other factors as well.

Avoid flu vaccines. There is a study I have here somewhere where people that received more than 5 flu vaccines within a 10 year time period had a 800% bigger chance of exhibiting dementia. Increase risk was noted in individuals who had as little as two vaccines during the ten yr time period.

Another thing that people fail to acknowledge is that one of the side effects of cholesterol meds is impaired short term memory. One of the most criminal drug categories in my opinion is statins. That is a scam if there ever was one.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

I have been reading more about the statins. Thanks for bringing that up. Just added to the list I keep for ma's follow up list. She just began taking back in the summer, so wouldn't be that big of deal, cause her heart tests in Sept. and the echo all came back as excellent. That seems to be the only thing that is in her favor right now.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm reading a lot of references in this thread to turmeric and I just wanted to caution people that when it comes to turmeric, there are many different levels of quality. Much of what is commercially available is crap. Look for a turmeric supplement where they quantify the amounts of turcuminoids or you will end up with a stomach ache or worse. Also, turcuminoids absorption is significantly enhanced by bio perine (a black pepper derivative), so try to find a supplement that contains them both

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
week 2 no results...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Not working. maybe treatment needs to continue for a while before we see the affect of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

What sort of dosage do you have them on?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Tablespoons in the morning.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Jaellma

Tablespoons in the morning.

Maybe need to up the dosage:

MCTs and Alzheimer's Research

The mechanism of this MCT-ketone metabolism appears to be that your body treats MCTs as a carbohydrate and not a fat. This allows the ketone energy to hit your blood stream without the normal insulin spike associated with carbohydrates entering your bloodstream.

So in effect coconut oil is a fat that acts like a carbohydrate when it comes to brain fuel.

Therapeutic levels of MCTs have been studied at 20 grams per day. According to Dr. Newport's calculations, just over two tablespoons of coconut oil (about 35 ml or 7 level teaspoons) would supply you with the equivalent of 20 grams of MCT, which is indicated as either a preventative measure against degenerative neurological diseases, or as a treatment for an already established case.

Remember though that people tolerate coconut oil differently, and you may have to start slowly and build up to these therapeutic levels. My recommendation is to start with one teaspoon, taken with food in the mornings. Gradually add more coconut oil every few days until you are able to tolerate four tablespoons.

Coconut oil is best taken with food, to avoid upsetting your stomach.

Source

Thanks for reminding me of this. I had actually bought some a few months back and forgot to give it to my mom who is sffering from early signs of Alzheimer's... it's still sitting in my pantry. Got too caught up in the Vitamin C stuff

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rimjaja

I get the root directly from whole foods.

Seems to help me think more clearly.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join