It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Time exist, or is Time really what we think it is

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by quango

Originally posted by xaos

One other problem with time is xeno's paradox.

I heard this too.. there was a king who was shot dead by an arrow. At the trial, the defense attorney proved that the the murderer didn't actually do it:
After the arrow was shot it reached a halfway point. From the halfway point, to reach the king, it reached another halfway point. and another and another and so on, so the arrow never hit the king and he actually died of fright.
Not only that, but before the arrow left the bow and reached the Halfway point, it had to reach the half way point of that and the halfway point of that and so on. Basically, the arrow never even left the bow.

Thanks xaos for reminding me about that

yeah but technically, this is just playing devils advocate..

VzH

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Try to describe time, without using time as a reference...................We can't see it, can't smell it, can't taste it......... Are there any machines that can measure it? A clock? really? What does a clock measure? The movement of its own hands? That's time? What does a clock really measure? Is time defined by the motion of our planet around the sun?

If time does exist when was it created? Did it always exist? Did it exist before man came along? Does time really slow down if an object approaches the speed of light?

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
2 bombs both set to explode after 1/128th earth revolution around the sun in space, one orbits the earth at ussuall satelite speed... one is flying towards pluto at the speed of 2,000,000,000 miles in 1/128th earth revolution of the sun and accelrating still

do they both explode at the same instant? acording to the atomic clock no!

does anybody know why?

because i sure dont!!

why would acelleration in space effect your time? what does space have to do with time? it all so strange...

[Edited on 9-5-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by VzH

Try to describe time, without using time as a reference...................We can't see it, can't smell it, can't taste it......... Are there any machines that can measure it? A clock? really? What does a clock measure? The movement of its own hands? That's time? What does a clock really measure? Is time defined by the motion of our planet around the sun?

If time does exist when was it created? Did it always exist? Did it exist before man came along? Does time really slow down if an object approaches the speed of light?

no, this is just our way to measure time...its not the same thing as real time!!!... i think!!

and supposidly the closer you get to the speed of light with acelleration the slower time runs...

i am just as confused as your are lol!!

[Edited on 9-5-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Time is confusing

But it is not impossible to solve, the day we find what time really is, is the day humanity is no more than radioactive waste. I think humanity is not ready to know what time really is. It would give humans to much power. Imagine, we have had leaders like Hitler, Stalin, Saddam, Bush and they have not yet harnessed the power of time and space.

I think this mystery is better left unsolved, its possible to solve, but with technology comes power.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Quantum theory says that realty is what we perceive. We exist and time exists since we perceive it. To explain the universe relative to us, we must accept what we perceive in our theory of how the world around us works. Plus you most relies that time is also a practical thing to except.

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I just remembered something I've been thinking about.

Going back to the doorhandle analogy: When my hand is not moving, and the door handle is not moving, they are traveling throught time at the same speed and will never meet. When you move your hand, it moves faster than the still door handle and therefore is going faster through time. It quickly catches up to the doorhandle and you open the door. Our perception of movement is just the realization that something is traveling through time at a certain speed. When they move they are just getting to a certain part of time faster than you will.

And one theory of time deals with time as the progress through set moments. Each moment you experience is just a frame of time. There is one problem with this. If when you travel fast, move faster through time like Einstein said, you will be absent from some of these frames. If anyone knows more of this time frame theory please tell me.

XAOS

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Humans are always going forward in time and the only way to go back is to go faster.

AAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! to confusing. forget it, your right, close this post before we all get nightmares.

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Not crazy at all! Very interesting! I agree!

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
As u think and PONDORe about time. it will pass as any other thing. when u ask if time can exist think of it like this u can disrupte and destroy anything. destruction and creation are infinite so therfore time exists while on a different plain then most think. U can have five minutes to go to work and be 100 miles away from work
and u can still make it on time FACT
any QUESTIONS?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Always good to see what new views can come into play... any thoughts on this thread, forgot about it until now.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is something Ive thought about very often, and until I cant even perceive who I am anymore!

My current path of thinking is that (and im by no means and physisist) if we take our 3 standard dimensions (length, bredth and depth) this gives us the measurments we rely on for our conscious perception of everything.

Now if we assume that a straight line doesnt exist. imagine taking these 3 lines through a centre point and infinately extend these lines we would eventually end up with interconnecting spirals...
This interconnection, and the relationship between the 3 dimensions is what I am currently thinking time is.

Because following this theory they are not seperate, but 1 point of the 1st dimension would be a point on another.. so there must be a constant between these dimension.

I believe that this is what causes us to have false perceptions of distances and sizes because this underlying factor is really causing ALL to be ONE.

The fact that we KNOW time as a Linear path, going simply one way from the other, with no allowances, adds to my confusion.
I cannot determine whether to fit in with my theory then our perception of time would be correct or whether it would be contradictory.

I know this is a huge post and quite likely wont make sense to anybut but me, but hope it could help anyone.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lezvigi
My current path of thinking is that (and im by no means and physisist) if we take our 3 standard dimensions (length, bredth and depth) this gives us the measurments we rely on for our conscious perception of everything.

This is what confuses me, (length, breth and depth) are made up of something, (space, time, and the way I see it *dimensions*), I know sounds weird, but the way I can see it is time is not on a linear path, it exsist as a passage, *kinda if you where driving on the freeway on your car, Time is the freeway and Space is the the space to be able to drive that car forward, but this is the kicker. the Dimension is the ability to be on the other lane, or instead of going East, your going West.

What I see as a higher form of dimensions *and a being capable of doing this* is the capability to use different freeways and roam as we please, what I see as a parallel universe is *lets say myself going west* and then another going east, but only having the capability to keep following that path, never being able to swith lanes or freeways.

I know, confusing, but its the best way to explain it. I think Time doesn't exsist in the way we think, and I think it can be broken according to our current law. I know time travel exsist and the same with different dimensions, just get a good vibe about it.

[edit on 12/4/2008 by FoxStriker]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
well considering time is a dimention all it's own... with a beginning and an end... as well as height and depth...so that would mean we live in a multiverse.... and how we view time is based on speed of travel between 2 fixed points in space..... time being a measurement of velocity related to distance traveled between the 2 points... so with this explanation i dont think time would slow as you get closer to the speed of light.... we just dont have right now a fine enough measuring device to show this...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Found some new information regarding test that have been done on airplanes that show the slowage *I know, not a real word* of time.

might take some time to locate.

But I always like to see what a new generation of ATS'ers have to say on topics such as time travel.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Time is the only real constant without it all formulas won't work and matter becomes energy.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
My my, people are quite lost these days. I just got done with u2u's to someone about this very concept.

If time doesn't exist, WHAT ARE ATOMIC CLOCKS CALCULATING?! If time is merely a concept of the human mind, WHY DO ALL PHYSICAL BEINGS GO THROUGH THEIR LIVES IN A LINEAR PASSAGE? Time seems to be an illusion once we look at things on the sub-atomic particle level. The thing is, our existence doesn't follow the same laws as quantum physics. It's just not applicable. If space-time doesn't exist, WHY ARE WE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE RIGHT NOW?! How would this be possible. In fact, how would anything be possible? This absurd notion leads to nothing but infinite paradoxes. The reason being, it's entirely irrational. Reality is what we collectively define it as.

I don't care if certain physicists look at things billions of times smaller than us and say, "you see, time on this level doesn't really exist, therfore it doesn't exist on this level at either". Something tells me there's a fundamental err in their logic!

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Time exsists, seconds minutes and hours are merely a human scale placed on time.

The word time is an euphanism for change relative to change. Things aren't static and causality rules in our universe. Causality is the link between human time and universal time.

If there were no time or causality either nothing would happen or everything that ever happened would all happen in an instant.

Thermodynamics also insists that time exsists. There is always increasing entropy so we must be moving along a one way line.

the continual march of a thermodynamic system, from lesser to greater entropy, at any given temperature, defines an arrow of time.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

Time, or the keeping thereof, is man's invention, and it works well when people have to get up and go to work, or keep appointments. Trouble is, too many people dwell on time all the time! How many times have you heard someone say, "I don't have time," or, I will, if time permits." Sounds almost like the person is a slave to time, doesn't it?

If one looks at time as a way to measure Earth's passage from when history was first recorded until now, it is a very short place in the big scope of things, isn't it? We all have clocks on our walls, and most have watches on our wrist. Time seems to be most important to people of today.

To me, time exists only when I wish it to. I never wear a watch, and have only a few clock hanging on the wall, I do have kids in school, so they are necessary. I also like to know when the evening news, or a favorite TV show comes on, other than that, time don't exist to me. When I go to bed, it is night time, and when I get out of bed, it is daytime. when I get hungry, it's meal time, or snack time, and when I feel the need, it's time for fun.

Time is not a linear thing, it is circular in nature. It goes round and round, and always in an upward movement, I think. If we go back in time, we go down the spiral, and when we go forward in time, we go up the spiral, but! the future has not yet been written, so one would see several possible futures if he went forward in time. This is just my own theory, take it at face value.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yes, time does exist, that is what the original post explained, but did anyone bother to read the rest, My theory is on how time exist, that by knowing certain conditions of time's attributes we can manipulated and hence go through time back and forth even other dimentions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join