It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal Mart Employees protest, I call BS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Wal Mart Employees protest, I call BS

t.news.msn.com

CHICAGO - Protesters demanding higher wages and better healthcare for hourly workers thronged to Wal-Mart stores across the country, though there was no evidence they disrupted operations for the start of the crucial holiday shopping season.

OUR Wal-Mart, an organization backed by the United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) union, said it expected employees in 100 cities to walk off the job on "Black Friday," the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season that accounts for up to one-half of retailers' profits.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Wal Mart employees are constantly in the news because their wages are considered sub standard. However, the average associate is said to make around 11 dollars an hour (www.businessinsider.com...). The VAST MAJORITY of wal mart employees are high school and GED recipients. I don't see what entitles them to higher wages. Your comments are encouraged.

t.news.msn.com

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp

Wal Mart employees are constantly in the news because their wages are considered sub standard. However, the average associate is said to make around 11 dollars an hour (www.businessinsider.com...). The VAST MAJORITY of wal mart employees are high school and GED recipients. I don't see what entitles them to higher wages. Your comments are encouraged.

t.news.msn.com

Okay, so everyone gets a college degree. Now who will take these jobs? Many businessmen don't seem to realize that without the low-educated work force they wouldn't make any money at all.
edit on 11/24/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

t.news.msn.com

Okay, so everyone gets a college degree. Now who will take these jobs? Many businessmen don't seem to realize that without the low-educated work force they wouldn't make any money at all.
edit on 11/24/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

What I don't understand is why an un educated sales associate is having ANY problem with 11 an hour when I'm making only 8/hr With a college degree cause of a felony from '99.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Anyone who works full time deserves a living wage, that is a wage where they can house, clothe, eat etc and have a decent standard of living.
It makes sense paying people a decent wage they will be sick less be more productive in their job and be more happy, makes sense really.

Oh and anyone who disagrees and are elitist should listen to Mr T Durden..

Mod Edit: Removed video for language.
edit on 11/25/2012 by seagull because: (no reason given)

link   
I personally don't shop at Walmart. Ever. It's always over crowded and I'm not a people person at best of times. I think these Black Friday shopping crazes are a stupid idea that just influences mob mentality over already deranged people. I'll be staying home on Black Friday, like I do every major holiday or crazy sales. To the original post, really? People expect higher wages in retail? My first job at 18 paid 4.75 an hour. And that was a good wage back then. I realize the economy is bad right now, but people should be thankful to have a job!
edit on 24-11-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
link   
reply to post by foodstamp

Youre bitter because they make more money than you because you have a felony on your record? Anyone else see whats wrong with this picture?
edit on 11/24/2012 by Juggernog because: freaking typos, as usual

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

What I don't understand is why an un educated sales associate is having ANY problem with 11 an hour when I'm making only 8/hr With a college degree cause of a felony from '99.

Most Wal-Mart employees don't have felonies. Your felony conviction is one of the reasons you are making low pay. It was your decision. Comparing your low wages with those of Wal-Mart employees is probably not a valid correlation.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think they deserve a higher wage that I'm 100% sure of...

Not just Wal Mart employees though, all minimum low wage serve the public jobs need a higher pay.

It is truly ridiculous how little you make at some of these jobs, where it is possible to endure high stress,lousy hours and heartless boss's....

But hey watcha gona do?

*S&F

SS
edit on 063030p://pm3052 by Spike Spiegle because: S&F

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Most Wal-Mart employees don't have felonies. Your felony conviction is one of the reasons you are making low pay. It was your decision. Comparing your low wages with those of Wal-Mart employees is probably not a valid correlation.

First off, it wasn't a "decision" anymore than it was a Wal mart employess decision NOT to pursue school. My felony has no bearing on my education or abilities. Whereas a high school drop out who runs a cash register SHOULDN'T be expecting more than 8/hr let alone 11/hr.

And Wal mart does hire felon's slick...

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Youre bitter because they make more money than you because you have a felony on your record? Anyone else see whats wrong with this picture?
edit on 11/24/2012 by Juggernog because: freaking typos, as usual

Bitter? No. I was using that as an example.

What doesn't make sense is someone who's without education who does a simple task should NOT be to mad about making 11/hr. That's all.

Prior to law changes in the state here in 2004. I was making 75k+ a year as a mortgage broker. Law changes stopped me from continuing licensing. Did it for 8 years prior. Now I drive a hi-lo for a temp service.

+4 more 
link   

First off, it wasn't a "decision" anymore than it was a Wal mart employess decision NOT to pursue school. My felony has no bearing on my education or abilities. Whereas a high school drop out who runs a cash register SHOULDN'T be expecting more than 8/hr let alone 11/hr.

Then go to work at walmart and quit whining, foodstamp king

link   

You should be earning more than you do. It's completely unfair how felony records follow people around and prevent them from getting on in life. No doubt about that.

But that doesn't mean Wal Mart workers shouldn't be angling for a better deal too. The dollar is a lot weaker than it was a few years ago, but wages havent risen accordingly for most folks.
edit on 11/24/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

link   
Double post
edit on 11/24/2012 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

link   
The idea that hourly rate is the only determining factor in this assessment is a perfect example of how americans fail to see the forest from the trees.

Lack of benefits, keeping hours per week below certain levels, etc, are MAIN reasons why people take issue with walmart.

11 bucks an hour isnt exactly a great wage when your employer caps you at below full-time hours so that they can avoid giving you any benefits.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Sorry double post.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wal-Mart employees do start out at low wages, but the fact is, if they work at it, they can get those wages higher. In fact, there is no reason at all why a Wal-Mart employee cannot make Manager within a few years, Store Manager in ten, and District Manager by fifteen. It's just that most lack motivation to do so.

This is true of ANY retail chain. In the smaller chains you ought to be able to make store manager within two years, district manager in five. If you don't get promoted in these situations you are either incapable of handling it intellectually, or you aren't paying attention.

The real problem here is that we don't have farm jobs for people with low IQs. Half the people have an IQ lower than 100. That doesn't qualify you for much, and it also means you are subject to replacement by robots who don't complain. China is in the process of installing 1 million robots to replace factory workers. This is just the first wave. Indeed, there is widespread speculation that manufacturing jobs will come back here--performed by robots.

People with low IQs only know how to do one thing well, and that's make babies--at a time when we need fewer babies. THAT'S why we're in trouble. Would you hire your average Wal-Mart employee? I sure would not. Hey, there are hundreds of geniuses packed in there, but finding them is tough.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Couldn't have said it better.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Then go to work at walmart and quit whining, foodstamp king

Just stop, your missing the whole point of the thread anyway.... Quit while your ahead

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Doesn't matter. It still reflects on your character and is the reason a lot of companies won't hire you. If you're so smart and have such great education and abilities, why did you commit a felony? And if you're so smart, how could you possibly have gotten caught? They don't want to take the chance on you. Your education and abilities are trumped by your felony conviction. That was your choice and something you have to take responsibility for. Plus, if Wal-Mart DOES hire felons, and their employees make more than you do, then your next step is obvious, slick. Hey, maybe you got set up and are innocent. All felons are, I hear. I dunno myself, but the reason for your predicament is obvious.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join