It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noam Chomsky - a true genius

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I watched some video on youtube and some other video on right side of the screen attracted my attention. The title was " Free markets?" picturing Noam Chomsky holding some lecture at some university. Anyway, the video was 2 hours long so I said to myself:" No way I'm going to spend 2 hours watching this!", but anyway I started watching it thinking that I am going to watch for like 5 minutes before quiting. Five minutes passed, ten, fifteen...but I just couldn't stop watching it...

I don't know what to say, the guy exposed all root causes of this rotten system and economic collapse that we got today, the only thing is that lecture was held fifteen years ago! Really amazing! Sad thing is that when even somebody so smart and famous warns about something it cannot change things for one bit. Nothing. It's really depressing...at least that's how I felt after watching it and couple of other of his videos. It's so clear to me that we as a human race cannot rescue ourself from this situation. Only outside factors could resolve this nightmare that we are in. Some natural cataclysm or aliens maybe...I don't know, whatever.

Anyway, here's the video I was talking about:

Here is another good onethat talks about political system in U.S. (if you don't have patience watch at least this one - just 7 minutes long):

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Chomsky is an amazing intellectual.

Have you seen/read his classic 'Manufacturing Consent"?

edit on 15-9-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
He's the same YUTZ that said America and Israel are the greatest threat to world peace.
Sorry .. but I'm not impressed with his supposed 'genius'.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Chomsky is great! I'm glad you found him

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He's the same YUTZ that said America and Israel are the greatest threat to world peace.
Sorry .. but I'm not impressed with his supposed 'genius'.

Probably the most genius truest thing he's said.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by alomaha

Yes, what a genius! This is the guy who invented the “blame America first” strategy which Obama and so many on the left use today. Many people copy Chomsky when arguing certain topics here on ATS. I can’t count how many times I’ve heard “So what? America has done far worse!” What a copout!

Chomsky is an intellectual douchebag!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yutz? I don't see you making such an impact that he has with his analysis of modern politics and its effects on society.

What reality do you live in where you cannot recognize that the US and Israel are the greatest threat to peace?

Oh wait, let me guess, you believe a group of nuclear weapon wielding, weak armed, Islamic radicals are the greatest threat to peace, right?

Yeah...have fun with that.

edit on 15-9-2012 by Amaeus because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2012 by Amaeus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Hmmmm.....I smell a shill. There are so many of you on here. This is what ATS has become, huh?

Quite sad.

This site used to welcome men of this nature, now it just seems like this site has it's own agenda. YUMMY MORE COINTELRO PLEASE!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hmm.. Okay, I'll agree. He's an exceptionally intelligent man. He's well spoken, well educated and definitely has the power to get his point across.

Similarly Karl Marx was a genius and Communism, on paper, is by far the greatest system I've ever seen devised by man.

Both...were or are downright visionary. Unfortunately, both have that genius and vision in the world of figures, estimates, reports and proposals. In short, the world of paper. These grand visionary types just don't work well in the real world of real consequence and human nature.

So.. Chomsky's important as are Cloward and Piven or even Mao's little red book. All in an educational way, but nothing I'd ever want to see again applied to real world problems. Academics are like that. All ideas, no sense of consequence outside the strictly predictable they see from their perch in an office or class room, IMO.
edit on 15-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: Err... corrected a name typo..

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Chomsky is an intellectual douchebag!

No surprise that the intellectuals opposing mainstream are met with hostility.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaeus

Hmmmm.....I smell a shill. There are so many of you on here. This is what ATS has become, huh?

Not nice!

This site used to welcome men of this nature, now it just seems like this site has it's own agenda.

When you say “used to” do mean back in April?

I don’t represent ATS. I represent my own opinions. Chomsky is as anti-American as they come. I don’t praise a man who blames America for the world’s problems. The world had plenty of problems before America……give me a break!

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

All in an educational way, but nothing I'd ever want to see again applied to real world problems. Academics are like that.

I think believing academia to be wholly ineffectual towards solving the World's problems is dangerously apathetic, and is a perfect mindset for being ruled. If not through education, what lens should be look through to solve the issues? Profit $? It seem that is being applied right now, and right now we have real world problems.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Chomsky is as anti-American as they come. I don’t praise a man who blames America for the world’s problems. The world had plenty of problems before America……give me a break!

Chomsky is very clearly against something outside of the confines of the American government. Hell any one of the videos will show that. Read any of his political books and you will see that.

Also a quote just for you:

"“The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive." - Thomas Jefferson

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The only criticisms I ever see by Chomsky detractors can be boiled down to 'he hates America'. That is way too simplistic. Perhaps those who dislike Chomsky would like to look at what he has actually said and respond to the points he has made? What makes his points wrong? Why are they not legitimate arguments in your eyes?

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am saddened that nobody actually watched at lest a bit of that video clip that I posted in OP. Because it's not his usual talk about U.S. and Israel domination etc. It's about economic system that we have, about so called "free market" which is very far from being free. He is saying in that clip that "free market" is actually controlled market a.k.a. controlled economy, even more so than state controlled economy. In govt. controlled economy there is at least indirect form of control because usually there are some kind of elections in every country, so in a way there is some kind of popular control over the economy. But in this world of corporate control we don't actually know who real masters are. Which is absolutely true when you think about it. This is not capitalism, capitalism is long gone... This is very dangerous totalitarian system where we have illusion of democracy and free markets, but actually we have owners. It's just that we don't know who they are... Which is far more dangerous than anything else...

edit on 15-9-2012 by alomaha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by alomaha
I am saddened that nobody actually a bit of that video clip that I posted in OP. Because it's not his usual talk about U.S. and Israel domination etc. It's about economic system that we have, about so called "free market" which is very far from being free. He is saying that "free market" is actually controlled market a.k.a. controlled economy, even more so than state controlled economy. In govt. controlled economy there is form of control because usually there are some kind of elections in every country, so in a way there is some kind of indirect popular control over the economy. But in this world of corporate control we don't actually know who real masters are. Which is absolutely true when you think about it. This is not capitalism, capitalism is long gone... This is very dangerous totalitarian system where we have illusion of democracy and free markets, but actually we have owners. It's just that we don't know who they are... Which is far more dangerous than anything else...

Don't be sad, alomaha. I watched it a couple months ago

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by alomaha

Ah, well I intend to watch it when I get a chance. I've read and watched a lot of Chomsky in the past. As to the Free Market. What we currently have is, I do believe, called fascism.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by trysts

Wow, at least somebody! Now I feel a little bit better.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join