It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increasing Police Violence and Steroid Use/Abuse.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I won’t bother to post a lot of vids concerning police violence because we’ve seen so many here and it’s a daily subject. I’ll be posting just a few to fill out the thread and press the point. After seeing so many violent police vids myself I started to question as to how and why the increase is happening.

Is it that criminals are getting more violent? Protestors are getting violent? Maybe just the man on the street is getting more violent? Sure...absolutely. These can be and probably are contributing factors but we have to ask ourselves if the increase in violence amongst citizens is the cause or result of increased police violence.

And then I thought to myself...steroids!

So off on my search I go throughout the internet only to be even more shocked to discover that even the police admit to increased abuse of steroids within their ranks. Not only that but many states do not require mandatory steroid testing for their officers.

Athletes...Yes.
LEO’s...No?

Steroid abuse major problem among police officers...

taylorhooton.org...

Investigations in Oregon, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, New York and other states have in recent years found disturbing evidence of police officers abusing steroids.
A national expert who’s been studying steroid use in all types of subcultures from athletics to the military believes “tens of thousands” of cops all across the U.S. are on such illegal drugs.

A recent scandal in New Jersey turned up 248 public safety officials — most of them cops — who were getting steroids prescribed by a steroid-abusing doctor, and New Jersey officials responded by ordering random police drug testing. But a Connecticut State Police spokesman says his department doesn’t do that.

The biggest concern most people have over steroid "juiced" cops is the potential for increased aggression in someone who's armed and trained to use everything from pepper spray and stun guns to firearms.

iradiophilly.com...

The NJ state's drug testing policy for police will be changed to allow, but not require, police departments to test officers for steroids, leaving police chiefs with the decision of whether to perform drug tests.

Allow but not require? This to me is just another way of saying to the police...”Do whatever you want”. Police policing their own isn’t new in any case.

From the Police Chief Magazine itself:
www.policechiefmagazine.org...

Although physical fitness is an essential part of policing, as described in the previous article, some officers go too far to ensure their strength—endangering not only themselves but also the public they are sworn to defend.

Recently, accounts of major league baseball’s steroid era have come to light, Olympic athletes have admitted use, and many other major sporting icons have been stripped of their titles after being caught using performance-enhancing drugs such as AASs and human growth hormone (HGH).

Unfortunately, growing evidence suggests a similar abuse of AASs and other performance-enhancing drugs by law enforcement professionals. Across the United States, several investigations associated with Internet pharmacies and “antiaging” clinics in association with unscrupulous physicians have revealed officers caught up in this web of illicit drug use.

So, just what are the possible side effects of steroids?
www.drugabuse.gov...

Abuse of anabolic steroids may lead to aggression and other psychiatric problems, for example. Although many users report feeling good about themselves while on steroids, extreme mood swings can also occur, including manic-like symptoms and anger (“roid rage”) that may lead to violence.

Researchers have also observed that users may suffer from paranoid jealousy, extreme irritability, delusions, and impaired judgment stemming from feelings of invincibility.

It is becoming a National problem as evidenced by the increasing incidents of brutal and unwarranted police violence and yet is nowhere near a major concern it seems. Why is this not in the MSM? Like many social issues it seems to be on the edge of being seen and then ignored.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the rage in some of the police abuse vids. Almost to the point of enjoyment in some cases. Some of these guys just seem to 'Snap' with little or no reason whatsoever but rather because they just can.

Knowing that they have many other officers to back them up, lie and purger themselves because of the unwritten code is just another tool in their arsenal.

My personal opinion?

ALL LEO’s should have mandatory steroid testing done and make it random so as to catch them off guard. If athletes are required to do so and they are not a danger to the public, why are the police not treated the same?

What say you?

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
How was that guy "grabbing" at him in the first video? I don't get it.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Steroid abuse has been rampant in both police and military personnel for a very long time. You know what else is rampant in both? Abuse. Physical and mental.

I know multiple people who have OBTAINED steroids FROM police officers.

But these are the good guys, so they're doing it in a good way, right?
edit on 8-9-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

ALL LEO’s should have mandatory steroid testing done and make it random so as to catch them off guard. If athletes are required to do so and they are not a danger to the public, why are the police not treated the same?

Spot on J...regulation can't happen soon enough. Without getting into generalizations, Johnny Law is looking into ANY advantage it can get on the populace.

They know It's coming, and will prepare accordingly...a trippy side note to this, the only time after academy that an officer is given a urinalysis is when a round leaves their weapon.

That doesn't happen that often, and they know it, so they own it...

Regulation should start at the top and work its way down IMO...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
How was that guy "grabbing" at him in the first video? I don't get it.

Yup,

It looks to me like the cop just wanted to fight...that's it. I didn't see any grabbing either.

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by jude11

Spot on J...regulation can't happen soon enough. Without getting into generalizations, Johnny Law is looking into ANY advantage it can get on the populace.

They know It's coming, and will prepare accordingly...a trippy side note to this, the only time after academy that an officer is given a urinalysis is when a round leaves their weapon.

That doesn't happen that often, and they know it, so they own it...

Regulation should start at the top and work its way down IMO...

They dont do it because if they did, we wouldnt have a police force. Between steroids and amphetamines, we would have a ridiculous amount of LEO's booted.

"They" would rather have more cops, than clean cops.

eta: to be clear, when I say a ridiculous amount of cops, I mean it. I'd be willing to bet HALF of the LEO's and military personnel out there would fail.
edit on 8-9-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Steroid abuse has been rampant in both police and military personnel for a very long time.

Don't forget those "heroic" firefighters. Those guys are the epitome of steroid abuse.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Steroid abuse has been rampant in both police and military personnel for a very long time.

Don't forget those "heroic" firefighters. Those guys are the epitome of steroid abuse.

I'm actually still on the fence about the fire fighters.

They clearly need to have superior strength to do their job. Many cops as well. BUT, FF's don't drive around all day with weapons at the ready. Mace, Batons, guns etc.

I agree the abuse is also clearly an issue but is it a danger to the public? I don't know.

Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
BUT, FF's don't drive around all day with weapons at the ready.

Good point, they pretty much eat spaghetti all day.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
this is exactly when and where Zero Tolerance policies should apply.

next, employ the 10-20-Life concept as well ...
1st infraction - expelled from any law enforcement agency for 10yrs
2nd - 20yrs
3rd - lifetime expulsion from any duties related to law enforcement

if it's good enough for us ... make it apply for them !!!

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
this is exactly when and where Zero Tolerance policies should apply.

next, employ the 10-20-Life concept as well ...
1st infraction - expelled from any law enforcement agency for 10yrs
2nd - 20yrs
3rd - lifetime expulsion from any duties related to law enforcement

if it's good enough for us ... make it apply for them !!!

I don't know. Depends on the infractions.

Nothing is ever black or white and I believe there are many good cops still out there that make honest mistakes in the line of duty. And then there are those that believe they are above the law and just superior to everyone who is not a cop.

Tough call.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't know. Depends on the infractions.

Nothing is ever black or white and I believe there are many good cops still out there that make honest mistakes in the line of duty. And then there are those that believe they are above the law and just superior to everyone who is not a cop.

Tough call.

Peace

at least you are considering it ... that's a good thing.
notice, i never said anything about good or bad cops, i'm talking about the same rules that apply to every other citizen (especially employed ones or those in school) ... Zero Tolerance should be enforced.

do kids get a free ride when they sneak a knife onto school grounds ?
how 'bout a gun ?

do employees get a paid vacation when they are busted for using any drug that isn't prescribed ?

regardless the infraction, why should cops or any State employee be treated differently or exempt (as they are currently) ??

soooo, are you suggesting that 5th graders that carry a gun to school is an honest mistake ?
what about 10th graders who sell drugs out of the bathrooms ?? another honest mistake ?
athletes who've been stripped of their accomplishments ... where is their exemption for making an honest mistake ??

somehow, when discussing illegal acts (such as consuming steroids w/o Rx), the phrase honest mistake doesn't compute.

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The picture of those Police Officers posing without their shirts made my day.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Don't believe everything you hear about the dangers/effects of steroids from the MSM. It is simply not true. Do your own research - I did mine for over 2 years before I started using steroids (legally for low testosterone). There has been at least one big name TV reporter that actually dug into the issue rather than regurgitating what all the others have been throwing around, and they were surprised at what they found. There are also a couple of documentaries that give an unbiased view, but I can't think of the names off hand. The stigma associated with steroids is all political rather than medically based. The AMA & DEA even recommended against classifying steroids in the same range as amphetamines and heroin, but our Congress in their infinite wisdom ignored them because they were on a witch hunt and know better than the experts...

Between 1988 and 1990, Congressional hearings were held to determine whether the Controlled Substances Act should be amended to include anabolic steroids along with more serious drugs like coc aine and heroin. The majority of witnesses who testified, including medical professionals and representatives of regulatory agencies (including the FDA, the DEA and the National Institute on Drug Abuse) recommended against the proposed amendment to the law. Even the American Medical Association repeatedly and vehemently opposed it, maintaining that steroid abuse does not lead to the physical or psychological dependence required for scheduling under the Controlled Substances Act. (The AMA recommended education, not criminalization, to combat steroid abuse.) Nevertheless, Congress scheduled steroids as Schedule III controlled substances under Title 21 of the United States Code, which regulates Food and Drugs. The legislation was called the "Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990," Pub. L. No. 101-647, Sec. 1902, 104 Stat. 4851 (1990) (amending 21 U.S.C. 812(c) (1981) to include anabolic steroids). Why did Congress ignore these experts and decide to schedule steroids as Schedule III controlled substances? The focus of the hearings suggests that any "psychologically addictive" properties of anabolic steroids were secondary considerations to Congress. The majority of witnesses who testified at the hearings leading to the legislation were representatives from either amateur or professional athletics. The testimony, and apparently Congress' main concern, focused on legislative action in an effort to solve an athletic "cheating" problem. Congress had a solution in mind - amending the Controlled Substances Act - and planned to proceed with or without the blessing of the DEA or the medical community. As a result, steroids stand out as an anomaly among the codeine derivatives, central nervous system depressants, and stimulants that form the rest of the Schedule III substances.

My wife was concerned about the whole "roid rage" thing as well. Two years later I can report no instances of roid rage or any increase of aggression at all. I also tried a slightly higher dosed "cycle" like what would typically be used for body building and also had no issues. Before taking steroids, I felt lethargic, had no energy, felt like crap all the time, low sex drive, slightly depressed, and just all around miserable. After, I feel great! For me there was zero downside and now I feel "normal".

Now, as with any drug, too much can cause health issues. But with steroids these are generally only going to be seen in the hardcore body builders that are taking mega doses of many different types for many many years...

I will say that there is at least one (relatively rare and had to find) type of steroid that is well known to increase aggression. It is sought after in MMA circles and not widely used in bodybuilding.

I think those that claim roid rage are just looking for an excuse to justify their bad behavior and already have anger/mental issues...

I'd say the epidemic of increased police violence has more to do with their broad authority, lack of accountability, and knowing that their buddies will cover for them - also the huge increase of mobile internet connected devices with video makes it more visible as well.

My 2 cents...

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

In one of the clips on that video..there was an officer punching someone in the face that was down. The other officer was clearly putting his hands out to stop his partner to no avail.

It made me wonder how many officers have been with "partners" who they disagreed with in how they were treating the person in captivity.

I applaud those officers who try and stop their fellow officers from unwarranted violence, and I'm sure there are a good many who can't stomach the conduct some of their fellow officers, and actually do file complaints.

Hopefully there is not retaliation for writing up complaints about fellow officers conduct, but I'm sure there is, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many good officers have quit the force, because they couldn't stomach this sort of conduct, and couldn't stand the fact that nothing was being done about it, when brought to the attention of the higher ups.

edit on 9-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CommandoJoe

It's obvious you have not used Trenbolone Enanthate. People go manic on that roid and it is by far the most potent and aggressive substance available.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm

It's obvious you have not used Trenbolone Enanthate. People go manic on that roid and it is by far the most potent and aggressive substance available.

Why do you say it's obvious I haven't tried it? Because you heard about some guy went nuts on Tren and I didn't? Have you used it? I actually have used it. And yes it is very potent, produces great results, and is one of the most favored compounds in the body building community in a recent poll I saw. But as I said before, no anger issues for me.

I stand by my theory people with preexisting anger/mental issues use roid rage as an excuse for their bad behavior... Perhaps the steroids gave them some confidence and their issues came to the surface as a result. But I've been in complete control of myself and have see no increased anger at all during the entire time I have taken steroids... If anything I'm probably a little more mellow due to an increased sense of well being.

CX

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoReaper4
The picture of those Police Officers posing without their shirts made my day.

Looks like the album cover for the "Village People Greatest Hits".

Police should be tested monthly IMO. We were tested regularly in the military police.

CX.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

While I agree some of the effects are exaggerated, there still is danger with using them, and immense dangers with abusing them. To say otherwise is irresponsible.

The fact of the matter is that most have not been tested over a long enough timeline to know the full effects, and "roid rage" is a very real thing.

Now HGH, on the other hand....

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommandoJoe
I stand by my theory people with preexisting anger/mental issues use roid rage as an excuse for their bad behavior... Perhaps the steroids gave them some confidence and their issues came to the surface as a result.

I think this is actually a huge problem with the media ... they encourage drug abuse when people experiment and don't go completely off the ice truck godzilla style and start snapping children and the elderly in half whilst eating parts of lamp posts in an obscene rage.

If they didn't sensationalize it so much in the first place you wouldn't have wrestlers etc ... coming out and telling everyone they're wrong about it. A few of my friends are on steroids for body building and they've always been very nice and calm around me ... apart from maybe one person I know and that person was crazy before they ever took an asprin.

Not saying there's no risk, but it's certainly not as big as people make out.

<<   2 >>

join