It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Curiosity Raw Image Anomaly

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

How do you know which haz cam took the original pic? Just asking.

In the pic you posted you clearly see a mountain ridge across the background.

I doesn't appear to be in the first pic, and that's not because of the dust I think.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DjangoPhat

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Read the descriptions.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Ok thanks, my bad. And I had already read those links but looked over it I guess.

Still kinda looks like another location to me, although I know they resized the picture.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
And removed the dust cap...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Yes, I know, still feel like that mountain range would have been somewhat visible through the cover, there also is a distinctive angle in the terrain I don't see.

Just some observations, I'm not gonna dwell on it or anything.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The angle in the terrain is due to the fisheye effect being removed.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
the problem with these pictures for the first week, is that the dust cover is still on the camera right now.

I just read that installing 'wipers' was an afterthought? And they were in too much of a hurry?
Plus they wanted to keep these rovers light weight?
Why don't the Mars rovers have dust wipers?

Yeah. Okay.
Gotta wonder if this is a 'problem' or the purpose!

(But....I could've sworn I saw one of these space crafts using wind-shield wipers in a video once)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Yes you're right, and the rock patterns on the ground also match up.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

the problem with these pictures for the first week, is that the dust cover is still on the camera right now.

I just read that installing 'wipers' was an afterthought? And they were in too much of a hurry?
Plus they wanted to keep these rovers light weight?
Why don't the Mars rovers have dust wipers?

Yeah. Okay.
Gotta wonder if this is a 'problem' or the purpose!

(But....I could've sworn I saw one of these space crafts using wind-shield wipers in a video once)

what? the covers are removable. they're better than wipers, because they don't drag sand across the glass surface. if you used wipers you wouldn't be able to see anything but a haze in a week. that would be stupid.
so yes, the covers are on purpose, to keep as much visibility as possible for as long as possible. it's no conspiracy, it's a combative technique against the all and ever present dust problem on mars.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This Time, I hope, really hope NASA that Curiosity have good cameras so all humanity can see directly and without "filters and false colors" the real MARS and what is hide on its surface.

If not this mission is only bad entertainment and a HUGE waste of money.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

curiosity is looking for signs of life and taking higher res pictures. that's it's main mission, that's why it's got all those cameras and a mass spec and a whole slew of other scientific instruments. if all it finds is some slightly wet clay, it will have been well worth the money.
americans basically paid like 7 bucks a person for this mission. i'd say that's money well spent.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

americans basically paid like 7 bucks a person for this mission. i'd say that's money well spent.

I'm on the fence for now...
let's wait and see

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

fence? what fence?

it seems to me you want this mission to be about taking pictures of areas you want, in the way you want of things you want to find. that's not what it's about.

if we're lucky, really lucky, curiosity will find evidence of life. i think it's time some people face it that there aren't industrial buildings with smokestacks out in the open on mars. there aren't temples. there aren't dozens and dozens of giant sculptures of faces. every time a high resolution picture is provided of the area these supposed artifacts reside in, you can see there is nothing there but natural rock and sand. every time. it's sad, but true.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I mean seriously... Take a look at other pixelation and of other Images, at that zoom intensity how have you come to that conclusion? I work with graphics and cleaning up images and you can probably make a city with the amount of pixelation in images, take any low res pic on google images, zoom right in and tell me how many buildings you can make.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethesquare
can anyone explain to me why in late 2012, we can't get REAL high res brilliant colour photos of the surface? Not something that i took with a pin hole camera in 1992 and developed myself?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I say pixlation, but I am excited to see what kind or rocks Curiosity might uncover...

Yawn, I have been looking at mars images remotely for well over 12 years (30 if you count Viking). And I really wish would would find something to get really excited about finally! And fuzzy pixel peeking does not count anymore!
edit on 8-8-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Why is this on the front page of Yahoo? Damage control to tell the people what it is (even though they're guessing) before the people get a chance to think for themselves?

Space junkies try to explain mysterious image in photo from Mars rover

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

what? the covers are removable. they're better than wipers, because they don't drag sand across the glass surface. if you used wipers you wouldn't be able to see anything but a haze in a week. that would be stupid.
so yes, the covers are on purpose, to keep as much visibility as possible for as long as possible. it's no conspiracy, it's a combative technique against the all and ever present dust problem on mars.

How do the covers work? Or better question, when do they decide to uncover the lenses?

You say it's no conspiracy but the fact that this is on the front page of Yahoo begs to differ.

It's been said by countless experiencers (contactees, abductees, channelers etc) that this (proof of intelligent alien existence) will culminate and finally put this paradigm debate to rest is, the blatant discovery of something unexplainable on either the Moon or Mars. But it's been also said this 'find' will come from another country (China?) because NASA are master manipulators with their photos.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
They decide to take the dust covers off, funnily enough, when the dust has settled, and damage to lens , if any, will be minimal.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by eriktheawful

It has 17 cameras, right now the main mast and high resolution cameras....

I'll stop you right there just to point out that this rover DOES NOT CARRY HIGH RES CAMERAS.

I am seeing this term slotched about all over the internet and it's BS.

No camera on Curiosity is capable of producing images over 2 Megapixels.

HARDLY "high resolution"

edit on 8-8-2012 by HIWATT because: fixed tree

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join