It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Bats Are Flying Around Massachusetts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Ever heard of the Pterodactyl ?

It could be mistaken for a large bat.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

Sure i've heard of them and theres at least one thread about someone seeing them,but what i saw was absolutely a bat,with about a 4 foot wingspan and i saw it clearly illuminated about 30 or 40 feet above me...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Tnx for replying.

Well I did assume the chance it was a bat was a bit larger as the prehistoric bird,

But hey, you never know :-)
edit on 5-6-2012 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EartOccupant

The vast multitudes of unearthly beings,bizarre animals and strange humanoids that have been and still are seen all over the world,makes me think that the earth is some kind of experimental laboratory, where super intelligent aliens from who knows where? deposit all types of interdimensional entities into our world,entities from other planets,other realities and other moments in time,to test their reactions to us within our enviornment and to test our reactions to them...

edit on 5-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
All of our bats died off here. Bat houses have gone empty that we had and there arent any to be seen all of a sudden starting a few yrs ago. Theyre saying its a disease that wiped out our colonies. Go ahead and send your big bats to me and MAYBE I can let my kids outside and them not come in looking like they have measles due to the mass of swarming monster mosquitoes that are breeding like mad here.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Where are you living? and when did the local bat population start dying off,or whatever is happening to most of them.Have you ever found a dead bat anywhere? i have never seen one.Bats are very good for eating insects,but very bad as far as carrying and transmitting rabies...

10 Year Old Girl Dies From Bat Bite 2006 > ginacobb.typepad.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
If you suspect a bat, then it is hunting insects. One way to be sure is to get a slingshot and shoot small beans or dried peas up into the air. If it is a bat, it will certainly try and check it out. If you could get some of those plastic airsoft bb's that glow in the dark, even better as you could follow it with your eyes and be positive if something flew near it.

I live in Mass, and the thought of large bats freak me out, and hope it turns out to just be a night hawk or something similar.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
As if we didn't have enough Zombies around, now we got Vampires. Did you happen to see my Ex flying around there, beware of her she'll suck everything you got outa you.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

All i can say is,dont get married to a vampire...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

You live where i do and so you must realize how weird it was for me to have seen a bat with about a 48 inch wingspan flying close by above me and the largest bats in mass. have around a 12 inch wingspan and in the entire usa they have only about a 20 inch wingspan...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
reply to post by blocula

people don't die from rabies anymore.

They dont?

10 Year Old Girl Dies From Bat Bite 2006 > ginacobb.typepad.com...

Human Exposures To A Rabid Bat,Montana 2008 > www.cdc.gov...

10 Year Old Mississippi Boy Dies From Rabies,Exposure To Bats Around Home Is Likely Source 2005 > www.immunize.org...

Rabies Kills Minnesota Man Bitten By Bat 2007 > www.startribune.com...

19 Year Old Teen Dies Of Rabies In Louisiana After Getting Bitten By Vampire Bat In Mexico 2011
abcnews.go.com...

46 Year Old Woman Bitten By Bat Dies From Rabies In South Carolina 2011 > www.wyff4.com...

Woman In Kentucky And Man In Montana Both Die From Bat Bites 1996 > www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Have no fear. They are just the democrats out at night in search of blood.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I grew up in Worcester. Yay Mass!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

I went to an Ozzy (the bat biter) Osbourne and Metallica concert at the Worcester Centrum april 25th 1986...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I grew up one mile from there on Shrewsbury St. I have seen a few shows there.

Now, as for this bat, I may have missed this, but was it after anything?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Are you talking about the bat i saw,or the one ozzy bit? I think someone threw a real bat on stage and he thought it was made of rubber and bit its head off,but it was real,not sure if thats what really happened, but thats what i read and heard and that didnt happen at the concert i was at...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

The bat i saw was clearly illuminated by the parking lot lights at the hanover mall where i was walking through to get to my car here in mass. when i saw the bat flying about 30 or 40 feet above and away from me...

Ozzy osbourne really did bite the head off of a live bat on stage back in 1982 in iowa > www.mamapop.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
*Large* bats are frugivorous... the really big ones? Yeah, they're genus Pteropus, and they eat fruit. They can't survive on the sorts of foliage around Massachusetts. It could be an unusually large microbat... I saw some E. fuscus in Maine this year that were pretty darn big. The larger species of microbat aren't doing as poorly with the white-nose as other microbats like little brown myotis are... if anything, now they have a bigger food source. I can't say what you saw without either a) a good photograph or b) a good echolocation recording, but I'm interested to see whether more sightings are recorded in the next couple of years.
edit on 6/5/2012 by ravenshadow13 because: typo

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

After looking up and so suddenly and unexpectedly seeing a 4 foot wingspan bat flying above me without any warning here in mass,an area where bats with only up to 12-13 inch wingspans are known to live,i'm looking for unusually large bats all the time now whenever i go outside...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Then I'd say look for either fruit groves or places with lots of very large insects. If they're Pteropus or another type of fruit bat they're going to get cold... the past couple days have been chillier, so you'd better look for some tropical fruit trees pretty darn fast.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join