It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Bats Are Flying Around Massachusetts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I saw an unusually large bat last night,here in massachusetts,with a wingspan of about 3 - 4 feet and whats really weird is the fact that bats in mass. dont get any larger than around a 1 foot wingspan...

It was soaring just above the brightly illuminating parking lot lights of a local mall and was clearly lit up and very visible about 30-40 feet above me and it was flying towards the nearby expressway and looked like it was heading for the woods.Its wings were easily 3 feet across and i would estimate that they were closer to 4 feet wide...

I was walking alone to my car about 9 pm when i saw it and i was so unexpectedly surprised that i said out loud,wtf is that! and then realized right away that it was a bat and how large it should not have been,but was...

This was no hawk,eagle or owl that i saw,it didnt have any feathers,it had smooth,leathery looking greyish black wings,with a brownish colored body and pointed ears and bats usually only fly around at night,so bats and really large bats remain mostly stealthed in darkness and not often seen...

When knowing that its illegal for someone to sell,purchase and own bats,they are notorious carriers of rabies and other diseases,you need a hard to obtain permit and have to receive a series of rabies shots just to study them in a laboratory...

When realizing that bats dont get any larger than around a 1 foot wingspan here in mass,about a 20 inch wingspan anywhere else in the united states and around a 5 - 6 foot wingspan within certain tropical locations of the world,thousands of miles away from where i live,where exactly did the 3 - 4 foot wingspan bat that i saw come from? and if theres one and there certainly is,i would think there must be others...

Bats are a protected species and are considered public domain,which means that it is illegal to own, sell,or purchase bats > www.bestnest.com...

The mastiff bat is the largest bat in the United States,with a wingspan of more than 20 inches > www.saguaro-juniper.com...

Bats In Massachusetts > www.batguys.com...

Worlds Largest Bats > en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

how sure were u it was a bat and not a large bird?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn animals? *swats at air* Huh! Huh! Huh! Effing pigs."

Did you say something? Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to drive.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough. "
edit on 1-6-2012 by mainidh because: where are the edits going? Oh there it is.... oO

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Where in MA are you? We have a fairly sizable bat population on our property but have never seen anything unusual. We're also in MA.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: "Holy Jesus. What are these goddamn animals? *swats at air* Huh! Huh! Huh! Effing pigs."

Did you say something? Hm? Never mind. It's your turn to drive.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough. "
edit on 1-6-2012 by mainidh because: where are the edits going? Oh there it is.... oO

Star for the Fear & Loathing quote

maybe is Flying Foxes
or a swarm of Moth Men

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
they arent bats....they are called night hawks i think. it is a bird that only comes out at night and they are the size u describe. mostly found around villages i think.

www.allaboutbirds.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I live in rockland,mass and i saw this large bat in hanover mass,at the hanover mall parking lot,about 7 miles away from where i live...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zyrktec

I saw this thing at close range,from only around 30 - 40 feet above me and it had no feathers and its wings and body looked exactly like a bat,only 3 or 4 times larger than bats are in mass. and at least twice as large as the largest bat in the entire united states...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I live right on the edge of part of the famous "bridgewater triangle" here in mass. which is one of the worlds most strange and haunted locations and i'm so close to some of its declared boundaries,like 1 mile away,that i might as well be living inside it and hanover,mass. where i saw the too large bat,is only around 8 miles away from the triangle area...Bridgewater Triangle > en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Interesting. We had such a mass die off of bats here in New England due to the white nose syndrome thing. Now huge bats? You should go back there again and see if you can spot any more. Anyone else from Massachusettes or surrounding areas seen anything?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I know the area well. I'm more in the Foxboro area myself.

I'd second going back and with a camera. Assuming you're not misidentifying it, this could be a huge discovery. It would be worth staking-out the area. If it IS a bat the location would kinda make sense. The bright lighting would attract flying insects and those the bats. Please let us know if you locate it again.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Any chance of nuclear powerplant leakage into the waters or vegetation dependent upon the waters from a nearby nuclear power station?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Anythings possible and the closest nuclear power plant that i know about is in plymouth,mass. which is about 20 miles away from where i saw it and "it" was definitely a bat and it was huge and when compared to the bats in mass. the one i saw had a wingspan around 3 or 4 times as wide and its wingspan was about two and a half times as wide big as the largest bats within the entire united states...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

As far as bats go,a 4 foot wide wingspan is huge and bats that size are found nowhere in the usa,but,i saw one that large very clearly,flying through the night skies of massachusetts and my very first though after realizing how it was so unusually large,was thinkg about it swooping down,biting me and infecting me with rabies,which is a terrible and almost incurable disease...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
blocula, you gotta go back and see if you can see that thing again. Bring a camera or video cam. I'm intrigued.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by Night Star

biting me and infecting me with rabies,which is a terrible and almost incurable disease...

First you can't argue with Blocula has he has a "photographic memory". Second I take anything he says with a grain of salt, as he has also seen 10ft tall half human half gill man creatures at the beach. Third, rabies is extremely easy to cure, this is a tip off right here he has no clue what he is talking about. The only danger of rabies is if you don't seek treatment.

Rabies is 100 percent preventable with vaccinations if patients receive them before the onset of symptoms, including hallucinations, delirium, muscle spasms, paralysis and hydrophobia.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Anyways back on topic, the absurdity of it being a bat is shown by how big the creature is and how big bats grow in the US as well as world wide. Most likely a bird that hunts at night, such as a night hawk, which is that size.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I know what i saw and theres no doubt,it was a bat,way too large for their size in mass. and for anywhere else in the united states as well,but there it was without warning,flying above me at night and it was strange and bizarre to have actually seen it...

What i meant by rabies is that if someone has rabies,in the vast majority of cases,its incurable and the rabies vaccines,which i have had,are to prevent rabies,not to cure and insidiously,symptoms usually dont show up for months...

After already contracting rabies,will most likely result in extreme suffering with doomed victims experiencing malaise,headaches,fever,acute pain,violent movements,uncontrolled excitement, depression,hydrophobia, mania,lethargy,coma,respiratory failure and death...

All from being biten by an animal,a very horrible way to die indeed,...

Rabies > en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

if you get bit by a strange animal (or bat) then go straight to the hospital and get the vaccine. people don't die from rabies anymore.

i'm guessing you don't want to go back to see if you can spot it again.

i'm also pretty sure it wasn't a bat. it may have looked like a bat to you but it wasn't a bat.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
reply to post by blocula

i'm guessing you don't want to go back to see if you can spot it again.

i'm also pretty sure it wasn't a bat. it may have looked like a bat to you but it wasn't a bat.
I'm always around the same location where i saw the unusually large bat,i work there in the same area 2nd shift and when i get out,its dark and i have only seen it that one time and rest assured,it was a bat and now i'm looking for it...
edit on 3-6-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

There is zero need for any deaths by rabies. Without treatment it has a 100% death rate (with 1 person ever recorded surviving I believe). Rabies is a non issue. It also was not a bat, sorry.

<<   2  3 >>

join