It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29
My all-time favorite that I would jump at in a heartbeat, Cracker Barrel. I adored working there. I adored management, coworkers, environment, the products they sold that I bought, the food I ate during lunch hour or with my family on days off.

The above passage is truly sad, it's testament to how brainwashed people are, enjoying a state of affairs that, logically, they should abhor. As for the rest of your post, save it for your marriage counselor or divorce lawyer or both.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mambajahambo

Good luck with your ideas. They will never work unless humans become machines themselves and stop using what brain power they have left after. You obviously have no idea how the human mind works. If you did you would realize that work, no matter how trivial, has quite a bit to do with your well being! An that's not something that's a product of brainwashing. Without productive work, even if it's something you don't like, you have no incentive to do anything of worth! You will become what you seem to despise!

Zindo

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011

Originally posted by Brown Bear

Come on youngsters... don't you realize that the situation you find yourself in regarding employment is not the job market, or lack thereof; the problem is YOU. But from my observations and experience you really are unaware of your many shortcomings.

Just last week my company hired and the quickly fired 3 boys in their 20's who were unable to do "man's" work. As a result of this and similar previous experiences, our new policy is to hire no one under 40 years of age... and certainly never the women that raised these nitwits.

Upon discussing this matter with peers within the field the shared consensus is that "these kids aren't worth a damn" and nobody is hiring them anywhere... nor can they expect employment in the future because they simply aren't worth $8 an hour.

If any of you kids intend to have a future you'd better figure out the reason this is happening because you're the "have-nots" and nobody can change this reality but you. Or conversely, enjoy your "careers" providing customer disservice at every level.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

Reading through this thread is hilarious, can you guys really be serious? Are you unconscious to the reality that your words reveal the real nature of your problems but most would need a shower after examining the meaning of them.

It serves no good purpose to blame or credit anyone, or anything, for your success or failure except you. It's your life and if you're responsible you need a job to pay the bills unless you're smart enough to trick spouse, parents or government into doing it for you.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the crop of unemployed youngsters and their more established oldsters is that the oldsters were forced by circumstances of poverty to learn the lessons that their elders inflicted upon them so they could "succeed in life"... just as it's clear that at least 4 generations of recent youngsters have not.

Unfortunately events have come to a point where the youngsters have dug a very deep hole for themselves and those with the most to teach have washed their hands of them. Unfortunately that knowledge and experience will soon die with them after being largely untapped.

Soon, who will take care of these kids and does anyone expect them to do it for themselves? Or rebuild America either? My guess is that neither is going to do very well, and thus, the youngsters are destined to ride a downward wave to a very deep, and as yet unseen, bottom.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

I think you are basically using the beaten to death "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" argument. Its great to be self employed and self sufficient. But to do that you need to have access to the means to self sufficiency. To start a business, you need capital. To grow food you need land. It takes money to make money, and herein lies the problem. Your average American these days doesn't have access to either land or capital, but the top one percent has easy access to both. You will struggle to get a loan for a business, and most probably get laughed out of the bank. A plutocrat wanting to start a small business doesn't need a bank loan because they have plenty of capital. You will also struggle to put your child through college. A plutocrats kids will go to the best schools, and when they get out, a network of other plutocrats will ensure that they have a place at the table your kid can only dream of. We live in a two tiered society, one that propagandizes the delusion that anyone can make it if they try hard enough, whereas the reality is the entire system is stacked in favor of the haves against the have nots. There may be exceptions where a few of the serfs make it and are successful, but the vast majority of people in the US will be born poor, live poor and die poor.

I disagree. There's nothing wrong with the "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" since it's a Path often proven to be a winner in the past,

To be clearer, in my opinion and the opinion of all of my peers, there's something seriously wrong with the youth of America... and you can see those losers attitudes gracing this thread but largely unrecognized.

4 generations of youth in America have been "wasted" just as surely as if they'd participated in one of America's losing wars. These kids show up in the labor market delusional about their skills and abilities and unable to produce enough to justify an $8/hr wage.

When friends, parents, spouse and government refuse to support them, how will they support themselves especially when no one will hire them (as a group).

edit on 22-5-2012 by Brown Bear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by A-Dub
Looking at job postings is just depressing, most jobs that pay $10-12/hr , which is far from a livable wage, specially in michigan where there is no public transport, all want 3-5 years experience and a bachelors degree, and a lot of these places are even testing for tobacco now, not just drugs.

The plan has become obvious, they want to make america competitive on the world market for labor again, and the bastards cant even let us poor slaves have a cigarette to relax in our free time?

Worst part is when your so poor you cant just pack up and move to another state or country, your pretty much stuck.

Heres a good example of how much it sucks:

Mig Welder - Must have a min. of 3 years of Mig welding. Will be required to complete and pass a weld test. All applicants who would like to be considered for this position must have their own automatic weld helmet - $10/hr

3 years experience to make a whopping $10 an hour, mcdonalds would be a better job. And thats just the first example I ran across, there are plenty more for more specialized trades then welding.
edit on 21-5-2012 by A-Dub because: (no reason given)

Just exactly what are your qualifications for that $10 job... could you even land it, and if you did, could you hold it? For how long?

My company has hired (and quickly fired) a dozen kids in their 20's over the past 6 months. We will no longer hire anyone under 40.

They weren't worth $8 so I wonder what makes you think you're worth more than that?

If you really were... then you'd have plenty of jobs... after you proved you could hold one for awhile.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Just exactly what are your qualifications for that $10 job... could you even land it, and if you did, could you hold it? For how long?

My company has hired (and quickly fired) a dozen kids in their 20's over the past 6 months. We will no longer hire anyone under 40.

They weren't worth $8 so I wonder what makes you think you're worth more than that?

If you really were... then you'd have plenty of jobs... after you proved you could hold one for awhile.

only $8 an hour? with those qualifications? wow. and i thought hitler was evil, he's got nothing on your boss.

tell you what, come work for me and i'll give you anything you want =)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Brown Bear

Brown Bear, no offense intended, but you really need to get off the "you young whippersnappers" wagon and find some new material. There is a real problem out there concerning employment opportunities and there doesn't seem to be a quick solution to solve it. Age discrimination works both ways, and if I were in a position to hire employees, you'd be the last on my list, just for the attitude you have against the youth.

The biggest problem is that these younger kids have been fed the line "go to college, get a good job" for their entire lives. They have been groomed from birth to young adulthood into believing that statement. I'm pretty sure that most youth don't think that they'll be making 70K plus their first year. Many of them will be making less than half that, and I'm pretty sure that they would be okay with that. I personally made 42K + benefits my first year out of college, and that was pretty nice for a single guy. That ended because of budget cuts in my field. Of course, I applied for other jobs within my field but wasn't able to find one. I went back to per-diem work and freelancing to get by. I refused, and still refuse, to take a job that is below my educational level, or outside of my field....not that any of those types of positions would hire me anyway....I've tried. Oh, and I've never taken a dime of public assistance. I worked for what I have.

In either case, I think your views are biased to your age group. The older generation always resents the younger generation. It happens EVERY generation. There are some kids in the newer generation that I can't stand, and there are those that stand out. I see them every day. The point being is that you say that they aren't worth the 8 bucks an hour. I think people that work in your field should be making a hell of a lot more...at least a livable wage. There are more hard working kids out there than you think. Time to take the "old timer" glasses off, and see the world for what it is right now.

That's enough out of me.

-TS
edit on 22-5-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I can tell you exactly what happened since I witnessed every bit of it.
2 simple things.

1. The good paying jobs have mostly been outsourced.
2. They broke the unions.

If you think about it then everything else came from that. As for the loss of morality that too is simple. When the leaders show a bad example what do you think everyone will do?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mambajahambo

Originally posted by Henley
You either work for how you want to live or lower your standards of living.

I know absolutely nothing about you, but I can guarantee you that none of the "work" you do does anything in any way to support you. You don't make your own clothes, you didn't build your car, or your computer, or your home, you don't grow the food you eat and you don't collect your own drinking water. The next time you take a bath, try to imagine how long it would take you to build your bathtub, if you had to. Then come back here and tell us all about how people should "work" for what they want.

What does your comment have to do with anything said. Looking over your comments, you are quite hateful, angry and negative.

I simply stated: If you cant make ends meet with 1 job and dont want to work 2 jobs THEN lower your standards of living. No need to build a bathtub or collect drinking water. GEEZE!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Times are tough you have to do what you have to do to survive and provide for your family. Just make the struggle public where you can and how you can. In time things will change as the momentum builds and it becomes harder to hide what's going on.

Being a 27 year old... I agree with the poster the youth today are idiots. Not all but enough to really concern me for the future of this country.

Instead of getting smarter they waste their time watching the kardashian's pretty scary
edit on 22-5-2012 by mbarr because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-5-2012 by mbarr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The real issues are:

a) too much automation
b) too much outsourcing
c) destruction of unions
d) lack of tariffs

contained within

e) greed

contained within

f) capitalism

politicians worship money and since with capitalism everything belongs to private hands, those with the most money can buy the most politicians. Greed is the mother of all sins, therefore capitalism is evil!

Everything else is propaganda. PERIOD

edit on 5/22/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

Brown Bear, no offense intended, but you really need to get off the "you young whippersnappers" wagon and find some new material. There is a real problem out there concerning employment opportunities and there doesn't seem to be a quick solution to solve it. Age discrimination works both ways, and if I were in a position to hire employees, you'd be the last on my list, just for the attitude you have against the youth.

The biggest problem is that these younger kids have been fed the line "go to college, get a good job" for their entire lives. They have been groomed from birth to young adulthood into believing that statement. I'm pretty sure that most youth don't think that they'll be making 70K plus their first year. Many of them will be making less than half that, and I'm pretty sure that they would be okay with that. I personally made 42K + benefits my first year out of college, and that was pretty nice for a single guy. That ended because of budget cuts in my field. Of course, I applied for other jobs within my field but wasn't able to find one. I went back to per-diem work and freelancing to get by. I refused, and still refuse, to take a job that is below my educational level, or outside of my field....not that any of those types of positions would hire me anyway....I've tried. Oh, and I've never taken a dime of public assistance. I worked for what I have.

In either case, I think your views are biased to your age group. The older generation always resents the younger generation. It happens EVERY generation. There are some kids in the newer generation that I can't stand, and there are those that stand out. I see them every day. The point being is that you say that they aren't worth the 8 bucks an hour. I think people that work in your field should be making a hell of a lot more...at least a livable wage. There are more hard working kids out there than you think. Time to take the "old timer" glasses off, and see the world for what it is right now.

That's enough out of me.

-TS
edit on 22-5-2012 by truthseeker1984 because: (no reason given)

No offense taken Junior, why should there be, I (like many oldsters) occupy the top of the food chain while you kids have a firm grasp on the attitudes and skills which are guaranteed to keep you on the bottom and down indefinitely.

Once again, the problem is not the employment situation... it's the unsuitability of the labor pool in the under 40 age group. Take a real look at the implications of your situation. Truthfully, the oldsters will not hire you and will not train you, and there must be a reason for this besides the fact that nobody likes you.

Suggesting that it's some sort of age biases is ludicrous, people under 40 are not being hired because they aren't worth $8 an hour... think about what this means to your future. Have you figured out yet that the people that are able to help you are no longer willing to help you?

These idiot kids have burned those bridges... so my best advice to them is learn to take any job available, or starve in mommy's basement (which is what you've earned).

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mzungu

only $8 an hour? with those qualifications? wow. and i thought hitler was evil, he's got nothing on your boss.

tell you what, come work for me and i'll give you anything you want =)

The only real qualification for a manual labor job is the ability to do hard work and the kids we fired couldn't handle a man's job. But they did whine and cry and complain, but worse of all was that they sounded and acted just like little girls especially with all the excuses they offered. In short, they were weak little boys raised by idiot women.

Workmen who make just a few dollars more will not work alongside of these young slackers. In fact, from what we saw, these kids would be better suited working in a woman's field where excuses take the place of performance.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

they don't want to train them because their is a big scam going on in this country in the higher education!! why should they train anyone when they can just count on the US taxpayer to back up all these rediculously high student loans or go whining to the gov't so the gov't will allow them to bring in the immigrants who will work for minimum wage... (by the way, we have an immigrant couple (legal) working in our company at the moment. somehow they are on food stamps and get other perks that the rest of us in the shop aren't. part of it might be from their sponsors, but my boss was telling us about it when they first came....they had alot more real income that we did!))

the appenticeship programs died out before this generation was born, or danged close to it, so, obviously it's not this generation's fault that no one wants to train them. I'm in my 50's, they didn't want to train me either!!!
that's why my degree sits unused!!!

the business sector has lost all sight of any responsibility they have to society. why pay them a living wage when you can count on the taxpayer to prop them up, feed them, shelter them, and keep them healthy and coming back to work?
why train them when you can count on the taxpayer to back the loans and send them to schools, that will do the training for ya??

and, why hire american when you can just go whining to the gov't about how no one is there to take your $70,000-$100,000 fictitious machinist jobs so they will allow more immigrants into the country that will be able to take less than the machinists in this country are being paid now!

but, go on and keep ragging on the youth, and I will just point out to you that they were raised in a world filled with artificial toxins, in their water, in their food, in their air, in their soft blankeys as they slept in their crib and still tell you....
it's not their fault!!!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

really????

I'm a women, a screen printer...'
got to tell ya something here, bud!!!
I worked a year pushing the thickest ink through the crappiest screens in the shop, there are plenty of men working in that shop also, and most of them were either allowed to thin their ink, or pouring solvent in it to thin it down, or just not having to print with it at all...
what was my excuse for not wanting to print the thick ink...oh ya, a hernia I got that while pushing the danged in through the screen, which hurt like heck while printing!!
what was theirs? they just didn't want to deal with it!!!

I was told that if I couldn't do it, I should find another job!

so take your anti-female rant somewhere else! this place I work at now, and the place I worked at before this job both coddled the men at the expense of the women!

if a job requires a living, breathing human to do it, then it is worth the cost of keeping an employee living and breathing!!! I'd say that if they don't want to pay that much, they should go buy themselves some monkeys to do the job, but then, it would probably cost them more than what they are paying now, and they obviously don't want to deal with training anyone, unless they are born in another country and can't understand a word you are saying and can be paid less money!!!

edit on 23-5-2012 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I don't know if I have much to add to this thread other than this.

I'm 30 years old. I make $8 an hour. I got my diploma 6 years ago, because I thought it would give me more opportunities(and I didn't like the stigma attached to being a drop out). 10 years ago, as a high school drop out, I made $13 an hour.

Take that for what it's worth.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Actually, Brown Bear, I'm worth between 35-40 dollars an hour depending on the district. I hold several professional licenses and certifications, and would most likely be YOUR boss if I was in a different field. I spend all of my summers running a major theater (for 10 bucks an hour, no overtime, 80-90 hours a week) that includes heavy manual labor and dangerous situations (balancing on substandard catwalks, pyramid ladders which are 30 foot A-Frames with a 20 foot extension, emptying semi's and reloading them after performances, electrical work, carpentry, etc.). Don't tell me that I'm not worth my weight in salt when I have proven time and time again that not only do I get the job done, but, after proving myself, I have a crew of 8 working under me.

If it weren't against T&C, I'd find out where you work, apply for a job there, and be your boss in under 6 months. Then, I'd fire you for the type of attitude that you have. You also assume that I'm a "youngster." I'm pushing 30, friend, and while I agree that some younger people don't have the work ethic that my generation has, I work with 18-22 year olds at my theater, and they constantly perform and work harder than a lot of the older people do. My crew does it without complaining.

So before you make gross generalizations, do some more research, read the papers, and get off your high horse, because you're breaking its back with your over-inflated ego.

-TS

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Wow. And i thought this site was about denying ignorance. I am living a good life, not complaining and doing what is necessary to support my family. Oh, not to mention no handouts from anyone. Doing the bidding of my slave handlers? Really? All I can do is shake my head. To bad ignorance isn't painful.

Baa baa black sheep have you any wool?
no sir no sir but take my arms as i am a fool.

I seriously doubt my friend that you work 5 jobs and have a life, thats a little bit of a tattle tale.
Hypothetically even if you did, which you dont, it isn't the point. Why should people have to overwork themselves and be debt/tax slaves to a system that doesn't care and merely exist and not live? People should work together as a community but it should be divided equally.
We shouldn't even have to work 5 jobs for a tiny piece of sustainability, thats just ridiculous.
Your going to work hard in place of your health now, only to spend all your money earned on your health when your older. Really isn't worth it.

But hey thats okay, im sure you don't mind giving your tax money to the secret service for prositutes. While your at it, send me some yeah? The male kind obviously. I want some hot fireman strippers. OMG actually I want you to send some that like pretend to rob me, im sure you can empathise with that as it seems you don't mind being robbed either. Can you organise all this by my 19th birthday? Thanks a bunch

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

The only real qualification for a manual labor job is the ability to do hard work and the kids we fired couldn't handle a man's job. But they did whine and cry and complain, but worse of all was that they sounded and acted just like little girls especially with all the excuses they offered. In short, they were weak little boys raised by idiot women.

Workmen who make just a few dollars more will not work alongside of these young slackers. In fact, from what we saw, these kids would be better suited working in a woman's field where excuses take the place of performance.

I'm a man. I prefer to work with women because I find many men have your attitude. I'm currently working around some women and a man who have some disabilities. I love that I am constantly doing physical labor for them. I get to workout and get paid. I also love the end result of a pretty store. I take great pleasure in designing and setting displays of merchandise. I love seeing the people begin to arrive at my displays and grab the merchandise to take to the register.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
"There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But NONE Of Them Pay Living Wages!"

Is this supposed to preclude one from working at all? Because it "doesn't pay enough"? My math skills are admittedly weak, but isn't "something" more than "nothing"?

Of course, they don't get nothing, do they? When people get on unemployment and welfare, they get my something! Wow, it works out OK in then end! And if I make even more, they get more! Yay!

/TOA

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Yes, many of the higher-paying information-oriented jobs have been outsourced. Management, in many organizations, is sorely lacking in any competent and inspiring form. Bean-counters have taken over, as the slave masters. The worst slave masters are the ones who used to be slaves with you, stomping straw into the mud. Once they're out, they lash your back as if you're a beast they hate. They are rationalizing their righteous rise, and justifying your inferiority and inequality.

But these bean-counting task masters are not the boss, really. Those with money and means, who no longer wish to directly work anymore, hire such exploitation whores as their minions. The monied -- let's call them that for sake of this post -- want their position and money to work for them. Money people don't run companies, nor employees, into the ground. They hire CEO whores to do that for them. Money people own stock, or holding companies that own stock as an intentional indirection. Stock holders vote for a board, and the board hires and directs the CEO. The CEO, like the commander in chief, is a public angst-grounding pawn or tool. They really don't themselves make the strategy; they are motivated to make a return for the shareholders' investment -- period.

The employees, or in the case of the commander in chief the public, may be foolish enough to blame the lashing across their backs on the CEO. Nope. Redirection, my friends. That person is just a willing past-slave current slave master, dehumanizing your as a means of validating their own mud-pit escape. Blame the disconnected humans who put him in (and keep him in) his exploitive position.

So, what to do? Realize that few people you'll ever meet could or would have your best interests at heart. Few people you'll ever meet would or could know anything about you personally, so their exploitation is actually not personal. They themselves are rarely aware of the subordinating, dehumanizing, inequality-brewing hierarchy in which they have enrolled. Many have no idea how high (or long in duration) the pyramid actually goes.

When you figure all of this out, you still have the choice to make -- and re-make, again and again. Do you exploit others for power, or do you embark upon your own quest to reclaim your sovereignty. Few will make that second choice easy on you.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join