It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Are you some paid agent to spread lies (you are on conspiracy forum afterall)? Do you think it is because people are too lazy to work that they do not work? If so you think - LOL.

Yes I gotcha, be ambitious, help yourself and it will work - generally this is correct - well life doesn't always go like that. Sometimes it shows you the middle finger no matter how hard you try. Sorry if this contradicts your delusion.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

You write about specific careers where there are certain skills required. Someone cannot simply come in off the street and be a plumber or electrician. You have to be schooled for those jobs. It may not require a degree from a university but it does require a certain skill set. Therefore not everybody could do these jobs.
Jobs that require only a strong back are hard to find and jobs that require no physical labor but also no degrees such as receptionist or retail clerk are also hard to find and when you do get one you are given the worst hours to start like nights and weekends. I feel sorry for anyone just starting out with the job market the way it is. And if you cannot afford a university education you might as well call it a day because they are requiring one to work in MacDonalds these days.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My husband and I are trying to start a small business.
We have no capital. We have really everything it takes though - for production - because it was a hobby before we thought we'd turn it into a business.

The money for licensure, and the extra money to make the product - a good product people are interested in buying - we are already making that would be good enough for about anyone - comply with regulations to get and keep the license - those costs are outrageous.

Also, we can't afford retail space. The cheapest I could find in this area was about 3k a month without utilities WITH a long contract. Internet cost is not bad, and we have the skill to do that - but that's an additional license requirement.

It's all money - it takes a LOT of money that people without any money don't have to do a lot of things these days.
There's a lot of road blocks out there.

IN a bad economy like this, the govt would be wise, IMO, to remove licensure fees for NEW small businesses for the first year or two.

The govt could do a lot that they are not doing. All they are doing is getting in the way - if you keep people on 'the dole' which keeps them too poor to do anything, then it might be cost effective really - for the big corporate interests running things now. Get the govt. to pay people just enough to spin their wheels and you've effectively stopped your potential competition in it's tracks.

It's such a win-win for them.
edit on 20-5-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

But rather than sit down, collect free checks that I didn't deserve I started my own money making initiatives.
Providing services for households

You like many, are living in some sort of delusional fantasy-land. You really think that my state can use 13% more plumbers, electricians, etc.?

Free checks? I paid over 160k in taxes just in my last job. America is DEAD LAST in long term unemployment. Don't deserve? You are delusional, and self-righteous to boot.

Obviously you think anyone out of work deserves NO HELP whatsoever. Sink or swim. You are brimming with compassion, aren't you. But you are deluded.. truly you are. You have no pulse on the unemployment situation, nor the base understanding of why it's good for professionals with 10.. 15 or 20 years experience to STAY in their professions, whatever they may be.

I will (eventually) collect unemployment, and will do so without an ounce of remorse or guilt, until I am gainfully employed doing what I do best. Suggesting I take up an entirely new trade at this point in my life is ridiculous in the extreme. Again, your ideas are fantasy. You are not living in reality.. which is a common issue on these boards.
edit on 20-5-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

Unemployment benefits are not a handout. Anyone who thinks as much is tragically ignorant. You or your employer pays into a fund while you work. When you are out of work the fund pays back out. It is insurance not welfare and there isn't a thing in the world wrong with drawing it.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

You write about specific careers where there are certain skills required. Someone cannot simply come in off the street and be a plumber or electrician. You have to be schooled for those jobs. It may not require a degree from a university but it does require a certain skill set. Therefore not everybody could do these jobs.
Jobs that require only a strong back are hard to find and jobs that require no physical labor but also no degrees such as receptionist or retail clerk are also hard to find and when you do get one you are given the worst hours to start like nights and weekends. I feel sorry for anyone just starting out with the job market the way it is. And if you cannot afford a university education you might as well call it a day because they are requiring one to work in MacDonalds these days.

Men and women walk in off the street everyday and join apprenticeships though organized labor and many of them don't even know which end of the screwdriver to hold. These are the same Unions that people like to # on for destroying the market. Funny that people bite a hand that would teach them to feed themselves.
edit on 20-5-2012 by SanguineDenial because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Im working harder then I ever have in my entire life just to get by.. I have moved back in with my parents.. You are an Idiot if your saying there is lots of jobs... mine SUCKS, it's DANGEROUS, and pays crap!! I'm trying so hard to find another but they aren't there.. so shut up.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is my first reply to a thread ever on ATS and I have to say that I do feel this thread was created to put down another thread I recently read stating that there are no jobs. Congrats that you were able to buy books and build a career out of it but as another poster said not everyone has that luxury. I am employed myself but I can say that there are NOT "LOADS of jobs out there". There are SOME jobs and yes some of them are below the pay grade that most are used to but there are not a ton of jobs as the OP states. I've even had jobs turn me away for being "overqualified"! Which I have never heard until recently. This thread is just rude and not every person who is out of work is lazy. Consider the fact that there is a world outside of where you live and it does really depend on your location but not everyone can just uproot their families and leave their homes in HOPES of finding a job somewhere else.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

not to get off topic but -- those illegal immigrants are evident in the south predominantly because , it's closer to the homeland they came from. I have gone into many stores hearing only spanish and then, some people, when you speak english, can't even respond because they don't know it .. if that's not an immigrant (legal or illegal) then it must be a person trying to piss you off by pretending they don't know english speak.... haha ..

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Unemployment benefits are not a handout. Anyone who thinks as much is tragically ignorant. You or your employer pays into a fund while you work. When you are out of work the fund pays back out. It is insurance not welfare and there isn't a thing in the world wrong with drawing it.

Yes, I know - and I've put in for 30 years. It is also paid for via Federal taxes (around .8 %), and State taxes (from 5 to 10%). I don't feel bad about using my unemployment insurance as a means to sustain my family while I find meaningful work. i.e. something in my field, and equitable to what I was making previous. Yes, I know I won't make as much.. but I'm willing to accept something close. I will not accept kissing away the last 14 years of work at my last job, losing some 25k + to take the first job that comes along, because some folks who are utterly oblivious to how BAD it is in the United States with unemployment think we shouldn't be a "burden." Wake up. You have no idea how pathetic both health and unemployment insurance is in the United States. It's tragically bad, considering what a supposed power our country is. We care more for citizens of other countries, than we do for our own - as long as there is $$$ involved.

The United States already offers TERRIBLE unemployment benefits to its citizens. And you think I should feel BAD after working 30 straight years, for taking some while I find gainful and meaningful employment? I don't think so.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Good job OP at hangin on my coattails

nah jk, i know of Op
edit on 20-5-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Men and women walk in off the street everyday and join apprenticeships though organized labor and many of them don't even know which end of the screwdriver to hold. These are the same Unions that people like to # on for destroying the market. Funny that people bite a hand that would teach them to feed themselves.

And again, doing so when you are freshly unemployed is a fantasy. You think I'll get the medical benefits I need, and even close to the pay I need to survive with my family on such a thing? You people are just nuts if you think it's a feasible and viable option.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by Kryties
Plumbers, electricians, landscapers....pretty much all trades require years of training and apprenticeship on ridiculously low wages before one is fully licensed where I come from.

What's a licensed landscaper?

Plumber or electrician sure
But work your way through it, think long term not just how will you eat today, that's irresponsible and forcing the state to cut for your slack

And as far as low wages again you are doing the same mistake I spoke about
You are waiting for a job rather than going towards it

When did I say work for a landscaping company?
Create YOUR OWN!

You're making this sound far too simple than it really is. That other guy's right; plumbers and electricians do require a lot of training, and suppose someone is already in massive debt from a university degree, would you expect them to retrain as a plumber and do that instead, getting in yet more debt? Starting your own business sounds all well and good but think about the equipment you will need for a landscaping business. Banks aren't going to want to lend to you at the moment and obviously you have no way to raise the cash so you're effectively stuck.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Hmm... Sorry but i disagree. Such a simplistic way of looking at a complex problem. I have had two recent periods of unemployment, one was for almost a year. I am not lazy and applied for many jobs... And as for "just start your own business" I tried that and it failed. I went knocking on peoples doors offering my service as a gardener (although i don’t have any qualification as a Gardner, ive been gardening for years) But people didn’t want to know... with what little money i had i printed off cards and delivered them through peoples doors and placed a small advert in a couple of local papers. The only work i got was a couple of jobs for friends who, if i am honest about it, were probably giving me the work out of pity. In the middle of a recession I guess people are more concerned with putting food on the table than having their grass cut.

Maybe I just didn’t have as good a business brain as you... Some people are just better at certain things and running your own business is not for everyone. Besides, If it was, then who would be left to employ?!?!
Even while i was trying to start the gardening business i was still applying for job and although i have been in IT for almost 20 years i was applying for anything.
Myself and my family were on the precipice financially... we were getting close to losing our home when a friend offered me an IT job after a position became available at his company.

If it wasn’t for my friend we would probably have gone under. And there are many people out there who are not as lucky as me.

I am afraid that it seems that you have bought into the political rhetoric used by some about "all you need to do is be a hard worker and you can make it"

Its garbage. It’s a dream sold to the stary patriots who put more faith in this broken system than what it deserves. The way our society and economic system works is dependent on there being rich and poor. Do you honestly believe that everyone can become rich?? Of course not!! Just the same as not everyone can have a job! We are in the middle of a recession! Regardless for the reasons for it and how to get out of it, that’s where we are.

If you have a job in these times that’s great, good for you. But don't stand over the unemployed with your chest puffed out proclaiming how lazy they are while patronising them with a message of how all they have to do is follow your example... it’s just plain rude and not mathematically possible!

I would also like to back up what many other people have said... i dont know where you live, but around here there is a multitude of tradesmen. I could pick up the phone now and have a plumber at my home within the hour.

Peace

ETA - Sorry if i come accross a bit hostile. It's not ment to be, just that i feel quite strongly about this issue due to my personal experiance with unemployment.
edit on 20-5-2012 by Muckster because: see note

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

No I don't think you should feel bad at all. I was agreeing with you. And Yeah things are less than optimal but in the grand scheme of things its not as bad as people make it out to be. We just came out of the greatest economic boom for the middle class in human history. Unfortunately a lot of folks thought the boom would continue forever and they went out and spent their prosperity as fast as they got a hold of it. Now that things are lean they can't afford that big house, that BMW in the driveway and so many other things. I'm only 29. I've worked harder and harder for less and less for my entire working career. Its a short stick but I don't think that gives me an excuse to give up. Believe it or not things are starting to pay off although in very small doses for me.

I was able to buy a mattress and stop sleeping on the floor 2 years ago. Recently I've been able to include meat and fresh produce in my diet instead of ramen and frozen veggies 7 days a week. I've actually been able to buy a decent pair of shoes thanks to some overtime I worked lass summer.

I was hanging by a thread for almost a decade. I was 1 flat tire from being destitute but I never gave up. I have fought tooth and nail to get where I am and it kinda pisses me off when I see others giving up because things might be hard. I have put off starting a family. I didn't go out and party throughout my 20s, I stayed at home and stared at sheet rock. It has been hard and boring but it is paying off.

Am I my brothers keeper? You damn right I am and I have an unlimited source of tough love for all my brothers and sisters.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Modern, Heckuva thread here! Thank you for posting what I've been thinking for so long myself. I've talked to many many folks outta work for years now, and with open jobs everywhere where I live, all I hear when I offer them a good paying job opportunity in their field of work is, well, I don't want to move, or whatever other excuse they can come up with, generally with this whiny "I'm entitled to a job where I live" voice. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I need to take care of my family, location is the least of my worries- I will go wherever I have to, to make things work. There are literally signs in EVERY store in any of the smaller and bigger towns in this region right now, advertising Help Wanted, and generally very decent wages, with a relatively low cost of living.

But as the OP said, even in the other states, if you want a job, they are indeed out there. It's not so difficult to put together a list of your skills, which in many professions these days, counts for more than a college education does, and start pounding the pavement. To get your foot in the door, you may indeed have to take a pay cut, and even a second job, until things take back off for you. Many people have to take entry level jobs with lower pay to get back into what they love doing at a new company. Anytime you enter a new company, you are the new kid on the block, and regardless of your experience, you are still at the bottom of the food chain, and only time can cure that. Things just aren't like they were with the last generation, where your job was pretty much a lifetime guarantee and you could retire with a nice pension and gold Rolex.

Oh and we aren't just talking about plumbing and landscaping here. Want to go into motel management and don't have the education? Be willing to learn the business from the ground up- and that may mean a stint as a handyman or a hotel room attendant, while you learn and work your way back up the chain. Nothing is too low to take as long as you are willing to work. Why do the illegal immigrants have jobs, and we don't? It isn't always pay based, it's their work ethic. These guys are willing to do whatever it takes, to take care of their families.

And before someone passes judegement upon me, know that I have been homeless and on the streets, I have lived in many US states, and held as many as 4 jobs at one time, to feed my family as a single mother. No job was ever to dirty or "mean" for me to accept, and no wages too low. If some guy was willing to pay me 10 bux to mow his lawn, I was there. If a friend offered to pay me to change their oil or do a car tune up, I was there, tools in hand. (and I'm female!!) An evening babysitting job to make 20 bux? I was there, even if the kids were absolute brats. I even hustled my fair share of games of pool (billiards) since that was a talent I had. I taught a community education class in beginning Windows for a local community college, and I have no teaching degree- but such classes are a way to share your knowledge with the community, and get paid to do it. At one point, I was certified in 11 different states as a road construction flagger. I've operated heavy equipment for mining. I got my first paycheck when I was 7. I'm caucasian, raised in a middle class farm upbringing.

As has been said, think outside the box. Make a complete list of your talents- ALL of them, and with that, an honest evaluation of your skill set in each talent you have. Use that list to locate new employment. In these tougher times, one must be willing to do whatever it takes to get your foot back inside someone's door. Once you have that, you can still keep looking in your field of choice if you wish, but at least you have an income to survive on until that point in time.

I've also watched my husband, as he has indulged his nomadic tendencies, yet always managed to remain employed, and always with good wages, benefits, etc.....I see what makes him such a success in the work market. He can put out 10 resumes and hear back from 9 of them within 48 hours. No, I'm not kidding. He now has 38 years in his chosen field of work. But, in the end, what I see is his work ethic. He makes himself indispensible, he gives 150%, and stays out of company politics. If asked to put in extra hours, he does so happily, and believe me folks, running a mining dozer for 14 hours a day, sometimes 30+ days straight without a break, is no picnic. But, it pays well, no college education needed, and you can work your way up quite quickly if you are a good worker.

North Dakota. 0.9% unemployment rate. Jobs in nearly any field imaginable available. New business ops galore for a rapidly expanding population in a large section of the state. If you seriously need a job, come and get them.

again, great job OP! S n F for you.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

And again, doing so when you are freshly unemployed is a fantasy. You think I'll get the medical benefits I need, and even close to the pay I need to survive with my family on such a thing? You people are just nuts if you think it's a feasible and viable option.

We have a massive influx of 50 something apprentices that joined just to get healthcare. As far as pay for you family, I don't know what you consider acceptable means but I do know that most of the state I live in scrapes by on less than the apprentices here.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I agree it could be worse - and I fully intend to become gainfully employed as quickly as I can. But some of these people irk me. They act as if whatever professional career someone had, is not worth trying to get back into. They should "roll up those sleeves" and just take whatever is offered. It's a load of rubbish. People with skillsets should absolutely try to get back to doing what they do best.

My company after they laid me (and 20% of IT) off, laid off another 14 people in 2 months. To listen to these people here, all those folks should just take jobs flipping burgers, plumbers, ditch diggers, or whatever else.. so they are not a "burden" on society. What a laughable premise. So the senior VP they let go who managed multi-million dollar projects... should go become a plumber? The guy who I worked with for 14 years, who did finances, and is an expert with spreadsheets, financials, Oracle, etc.. should become an electrician, or take a job at Subway?

Like I said.. these people are not living in reality. THEY are the selfish ones, including the OP.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
I'm a white male who has 20 years experience in all aspects of home remodeling/costruction/plumbing/electric/roofing/siding/windows/doors/tiles/kitchens/bathrooms and anything else my hands can touch and fix or build.

lazy????? Far from. I own my own van and have all my own tools for just about any job. No company is willing to hire me for $200 using my own van and tools (which for my caliber of experience is a major pay cut). I don't know where you're from...but yes I WILL go there.......Illegal immigrants are all I see working anywhere I go unless it's the business owner.

You may say I should open my own business. Well some people are craftsmen not business men. regardless there isn't a man who I will allow to outperform me. I'm strong, fast efficient and very experienced. If you're faster, my quality is better. I've been outta work for almost 5 yrs.. even before the financial nonsense, so I'm tired of hearing everyone whine about their year or 2 outta work.

And just so ya know Illegal immigrants make about $150 -175 a day in NY. How would you not pay an extra $25 dollars for an experienced mechanic who should be making at least $350 a day. Find me a company and I'll prove myself to any man. Talk is CHEAP. My work speaks for itself.

If your skills are so great, then you should be a prime candidate to go into business for yourself. You don't need large overhead, you don't need employees. Put ads in the paper, find your own customers and work as a one-man business. If you already have the tools and van, that won't cost you anything. My husband is a jack-of-all-trades contractor too, and his customers love, love, love him. He doesn't even have to advertise anymore; it's all word of mouth at this point.

Do what he does -- provide the best customer service and experience possible. For example,
- he's honest to a fault and sometimes refunds the customers money that didn't get used (from an initially higher estimate); whenever he does that, he usually gets several follow-up jobs right away;
- unlike most contractors, he promptly returns phone calls and shows up every day until the job is done
- he doesn't mark up his materials -- he either buys the stuff and hands the receipts to the customer or lets the customer buy the materials himself
- and so forth.

The OP is right: don't look for a J.O.B.; take your life into your own hands!!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Sure... zillions of jobs for those hapless slaves serving the ruling class with barely enough wage to eat. What a satisfying life, plunging the toilets and trimming the hedges of the clueless spawns of satan who tie a tie and make the big decisions for the big bucks because the servile masses couldn't possibly understand or function as they do... yup.

Better yet, speak to those who owe 100 grand on an education because they wanted something better, too, and now stand behind a counter ringing up your hoo-hoos and ding-dongs...

Sure, many jobs to perhaps keep one alive until an easily treatable illness empties their bank accounts and then kills them because they lack enough money or insurance...

They better build those walls around gated communities a little higher... the natives are beyond restless.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

We have a massive influx of 50 something apprentices that joined just to get healthcare. As far as pay for you family, I don't know what you consider acceptable means but I do know that most of the state I live in scrapes by on less than the apprentices here.

And why should someone who has spent anywhere from 10 to 25 or even 30 years doing a type of work, suddenly change their entire career path? All that time learning their trade.. and it's what.. worthless? Oh.. because it's not a job like a plumber or an electrician.. it's not worthwhile?

So all those folks getting laid off at my previous job - marketing specialists, geologists, computer specialists, financial Oracle gurus, project managers, and so on.. they should ALL just take WHATEVER comes along, or accept an apprenticeship.. because it's the "right" thing to do? No.. I don't think so. I think people should have the chance to get a job doing what they specialize in. It makes sense, for them, AND for the country. It makes no sense for someone with 2 or 3 decades of experience in something should suddenly go off on a tangent and start from the bottom again. No sense, WHATsoever. I can't even fathom why some of you would suggest that this is a "good idea."

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join